Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1539 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
70. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 26, 2010, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 10:29:

You're so stupid I can't even argue with you.

Translation: I can not logically argue a valid counterpoint, so I am going to drop back to ad hominem attacks.

With most positions yes, such as the guy at the local starbucks making minimum wage. Not with waitstaff. Again you're a fucking moron (sorry Blue) for not getting that this is the way legislators have designed the system. They've done that to give customers some control. Your free riding ruins that.

This is cute. I tell you that as a consumer, I have some measure of control in my dining experience, you clearly agree with me here, and then tell me I'm ruining it by exercising it because, again, I'm not tripping all over myself to follow a custom that is inherently flawed.

Name dropping doesn't make you sound educated...

No, it just means that I have actually read all three major interpretations of it and understand it.

Clearly, you haven't and don't, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to laughably argue that there's a social contract in place for tipping. For tipping!

You're taking advantage of people and hiding behind "Consumer rights." It's ridiculous. But fine, under your model we increase the price of every single food item 20% and that goes directly to waitstaff salary. Huzzah! Consumers won!

Ok...and? You just shot yourself in the foot. Well done. If that's what it takes to insure they earn the minimum wage standard, so be it. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why are you so dead set against it? Are you that cheap?

Because what you're saying is insanely insulting. Your attitude is insanely insulting. You're a fucking crime against humanity. I love your username, too. The only thing you'd ever possibly advocate for are things in your own self-interest. There's no chance you'd ever be willing to give more and lose some for a good cause, as your tipping attitude proves.

Thank you for making me chuckle. You've no idea where the name came from or why it exists. Further, you know absolutely nothing about my charitable endeavors since it isn't something I speak of, even to those closest to me.

Again, this highlights your inability to do anything but froth at the mouth and bang wildly at a keyboard.

It's fucking amazing. C'mon, Father Shaughnessy taught you better.

Clearly, you didn't know the man. Which means you only know him through something I recollected. One of the first, and oft repeated, things he taught all of us was to take a stand against self-entitlement.

All of your posts reek of it. They can be all boiled down to the statement "I did my job, pay me above and beyond what I agreed to be paid for the sole reason of having done that job". Even the article you snidely linked to confirms that. There's zero additional justification of your points, it essentially says "TIP!" Nothing more.

You may find me absolutely distasteful for refusing to feed in to that self-entitlement, so be it. It doesn't particularly concern me and there is no amount of discussion, no matter how uncivil, that is going to see us agreeing on the subject.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 17:01 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:56:
NO! That is NOT how it works!

That's exactly how it works. Were you forced in to your current employment, if you are employed, at gunpoint? No? Then you made a choice. See? That's exactly how it works.

Tipping is standard and therefore validly expected unless you fuck up.

No, no it isn't. Simply because you repeat something long enough doesn't make it true. You can't explain why the system is in place, you can only regurgitate the same line over and over. Tipping is a reward for service above and beyond the common standard. Just like performance bonuses in real jobs.

So the option is not to "not take [the job in the tip-driven industry]" but for the jerks to not eat at a place that is driven by tips. Don't think you should tip? Eat take-out.

Actually, that's the only direct and valid option available. Take a job that pays you what you think you're worth. Stop stamping your feet and insulting customers like a child because you can't manage to land a job that pays you a guaranteed living wage.

You're a free-rider, you know that?

You're a moron, you know that? You clearly have zero understanding of, or respect for, the money you earn.

There's a simple social contract:...

No, there isn't. In fact, tipping has absolutely nothing to do with a social contract of any sort, whether you're using Hobbes', Locke's or Rousseau's take on the matter.

This is how the industry functions.

Pick a different industry that pays you better.

You're free-riding and taking advantage of it.

I'm sure the waitress I tipped at lunch this afternoon felt that she was taken advantage of. That's why she hugged me and thanked me.

It's infuriatingly arrogant and, quite frankly, stupid.

I agree, your lack of an understanding on consumer based rights, intelligent management of money and complete naivety on the work-reward system is absolutely arrogant and blindingly stupid.

Though it's cute how you can't manage a single reply without attempting to insult your opponent.

45. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 22:16 Burrito of Peace

Shh, Sepharo. I got it but it's still a strawman argument.  

43. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 21:25 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 15:52:
Yes, but it's a system created with a low base wage to account for tips.

Then you clearly have the option of, oh, I don't know, not taking the job in the first place.

By not tipping on adequate service you're saying "Hey, look, I'm too important to be a functional cog in a system. I'm too important to follow social norms and unspoken rules. I'm a king, bow to me!"

Or, you're saying "You did your job." I know, it's hard to believe that some people apply the same logic to the same topic universally. But, hey, if a thought process different than your own is that threatening, please continue with your immature ad hominem attacks.

Again, you're the wrench in the system rather than the grease that makes it work. And that makes you a douche. Jerykk already knows he's one, but you need to know this, too.

Ah, I see the pattern here. "You don't act exactly like I act so you're <insert pejorative here>". I will repeat. I tip when the service goes above and beyond my normal expectations. People who do a good job deserve to be recognized and additionally compensated. A tip is just that, additional compensation that is above and beyond the transaction I have engaged in with the merchant providing me food. If I am absolutely impressed by the service, I will ask to speak to their manager to make sure they are aware that a customer recognized the excellence of their employee.

But I guess tossing a couple of bucks on the table at Denny's does the same for you?

If EVERYONE acted as you do the whole minimum wage for waitstaff would disappear and it would become like any other position. This, of course, means that your meals would jump in price, as they do when gratuity is added on larger parties at many restaurants. This would take the tipping power out of your hands entirely and put it into the hands of the owners.

First, to remove minimum wage, you'd first have to tackle a whole bunch of laws. Your strawman argument holds no water.

This is what you want? To be forced to pay a common wage rather than having the power to tip because you're too self-important to tip properly?

I don't know how you are compensated for your work, but there IS an average salary in the field I work in, based upon experience and required duties of the position. Also, I am not "forced" to do anything. As a consumer, the power all rests with me. The businesses that, I feel, provide me with the best goods and services get my business. Those that cause me more hassle than I am willing to put up with, don't.

See how that works, too? YOU decide who gets your dollars. You aren't forced to pay anyone for anything.

I love when people say "it's the way the system is set up and I'll abuse it to my benefit" not realizing it makes you a complete jerk and is the reason systems like this fall apart. It's no different than Jerykk constantly complaining about how stupid developers are to think piracy hurts them while at the same time downloading from torrents whose dl counts are what developers use to gauge how many times their product has been pirated.

It sounds like you're coming from a background of working in a service industry at one point. I understand that would absolutely color your viewpoint but, as an average consumer, I don't give a damn that you had to eat ramen for a week because tips sucked. Hazards of the job that you willingly took.

20. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 15:25 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 15:16:
This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a messageboard.

Why so? Here, base waiting pay averages to $2.50/hr + tips.

Average job pays about $15/hr.

Which of those two is going to provide more cash flow on a regular basis?

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 15:21 Burrito of Peace

Harcore mode in F:NV is fucking awesome.

In my case, it made me start to feel that I really WAS in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and maybe drinking that irradiated water wasn't such a good idea.

I had more fun on my second playthrough on Hardcore than I did on my first without it.

16. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 15:11 Burrito of Peace

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 14:53:
I suppose you don't believe in tips, either?

I don't believe in inherently tipping at all meals. I will happily tip if the service is excellent and goes above what I consider a reasonable expectation. However, fetching plates, glasses, taking an order, and the like is an expected part of your job.

I don't get tipped above my salary because I happen to throw a couple of extra boxes on the network today.

If you don't like it, don't take a job that pays less than minimum wage.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2010, 08:57 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2010, 00:50:
The sheer amount of bullshit users manage to get on the network if left unchecked would blow your mind.

Preach it.

Just this past week I had to ask someone "You really weren't this stupid, were you? You just randomly started installing shit that popped up on your screen?"

I got the kicked puppy look and a mumbled apology.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay
20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay Dec 16, 2010, 14:52 Burrito of Peace

If Square Enix goes tits up, where am I going to get my games about world saving 14 year olds with 20 foot tall hair and 30 foot tall swords and their thinly veiled sexual confusion and raging Daddy issues?

News Comments > Derek Smart Interview
2. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 15, 2010, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 22:28:
How about the time he threatened to quit posting here?

Good times, indeed.

You knew the instant he said it, that it was bullshit.

It would defeat the purpose of his WHARRRGARBL! PR campaign.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Dec 14, 2010, 22:00 Burrito of Peace

No, I understand you well. If I had any remaining doubts, your use of the word "sheeple" erased them fully.

Carry on in your ignorance and smug sense of self-righteousness. No one but you is the worse off for it.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
22. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Dec 14, 2010, 18:24 Burrito of Peace

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 16:39:
...i guess i'm more picky for quality.

Apparently not in the way you communicate and present yourself.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Season Three
11. Re: Star Trek Online Season Three Dec 11, 2010, 13:26 Burrito of Peace

AnarKane wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 11:32:
Good to see the haters still around in force... really, if you don't like something, why post on it? You hate the game, we get it.

Good to see the apologists still around in force.... really, if you are a blinded fanboy, why post on it? You love the game and want to suck Cryptic's cock, we get it.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Season Three
7. Re: Star Trek Online Season Three Dec 11, 2010, 08:42 Burrito of Peace

Is the game still:

1. Going to System X

2. Kill 3-5 groups consisting of three ships each

3. Beam to planet, kill 5 groups consisting of 3-5 NPCs

4. Beam back to ship and Kill 3-5 groups consisting of three ships each

Cause if it is, fuck that game. It was shit.

Oh, forgot to add:

5. In space battles, turn, whack space bar, turn, whack space bar, turn, whack space bar?

News Comments > Empires of Steel Updated Demo
1. Re: Empires of Steel Updated Demo Dec 9, 2010, 21:28 Burrito of Peace

1989 called...it wants its game engine back.  

News Comments > Jumpgate Evolution Lawsuit
5. Re: Jumpgate Evolution Lawsuit Dec 6, 2010, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

It's NetDevil.

A company who has never made a decent product.

Ever.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free
1. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free Nov 30, 2010, 12:22 Burrito of Peace

Is this game even worth play for free?  

News Comments > Warface Officially Announced
6. Re: Warface Officially Announced Nov 26, 2010, 20:22 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 18:01:
Also is this game really called Warface? Because thats hilarious

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: So you're a killer?
Private Joker: Sir, yes sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then let me see your war face!
Private Joker: [nervously] Sir?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You got a war face! AAAAAAAAHH! That's a war face, let me see your war face!
Private Joker: Ahhhh!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit. You didn't convince me. let me see your REAL war face!
Private Joker: [Screaming] AHHHHHHHHHHH!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You don't scare me! Work on it!

News Comments > New UDK Beta & Unreal Engine 3 Trailer
10. Re: New UDK Beta & Unreal Engine 3 Trailer Nov 24, 2010, 21:30 Burrito of Peace

Gutspiller wrote on Nov 24, 2010, 18:12:
Trees still look like sprite shit.

Oh, and no FSAA = shit engine.

Yeah! And it kicked my sister and impregnated my dog!

Fuck that engine! We've all coded engines from the ground up ourselves so we know quality.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
45. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 15:13 Burrito of Peace

finga wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 14:57:
Icewind wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 14:45:
Since they ditched unarmored and medium armor skills, maybe in TES5 they'll ditch them altogether and you'll just have one overriding "armor proficiency" skill. I bet the slope-heads would just adore that.
I hope they do so that we can all hear you over-the-top-purists crying and complaining for the next several years, too. Actually, I'd rather you suck it up and stop crying about how the game industry is leaving you behind.

It is possible that an RPG can move forwards and not be held back by RPGs of the past two decades, that in removing complexity in one area that you autistic people obsess and perseverate on ("What? No Unarmored skill? NO MEDIUM ARMOR SKILL? THE GAME IS COMPLETELY RUINED!"), they can spend more time balancing and working on new, more natural complexity elsewhere.

Yes, we all know how much better you aspies think Fallout 1 is than Fallout 3. Try enjoying a game for what it is right now (over what you have arbitrarily decided it should be) for once. Wanna call it an "action/adventure"? A "first person game that pretends to be what I used to love"? Fine - do whatever, just make sure to leave your diatribes over on NMA or your D&D circlejerk boards.

Actually, I think that was pretty epic and on the ball.

Look, most of us are now either in our late 20s to mid 30s. We "remember" how awesome games from our childhood are because we have memories recorded through the eyes of a child.

Games are products developed to be sold to people who will give good, hard cash to be entertained. They are not designed or developed by the Muses to bring forth High Art unto the savage barbarian races. Look at the top five selling franchises of all time. You think any of those games have a narrative that's better than your average Twilight book? Please.

Some of you people sound like the mouth breathing morons who hang out at my local garage and talk about how much more "awesome" carburetors are over fuel injection and engine control modules. Technology, and the products that use them, have moved on to serve a demographic who willingly pays for what they consider a value.

Old shit is old for a reason and we don't use it now because it's clearly inferior to what we're using today. If that wasn't so, why aren't we still using bronze tools and chasing bears with long pointy sticks?

1539 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo