Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1728 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2014, 11:44 Burrito of Peace

Stormsinger wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 11:26:
But an awful lot of those reviews are from -current- employees. At first glance, there are more reviews from current employees than from ex-employees. And most of them are pretty consistent.

That's enough for me to rule them out as any place I'd want to work.

You don't want to work at ANY studio owned by NC West/NCsoft North America.

This bit here: "...the management, toxic environment, and lack of communication, among other things" is systemic problem across all NC West studios and even in the publishing office.

I started working there shortly after the launch of Guild Wars: Factions and stayed until just after the launch of Aion. I can say that while I worked with some great people, the company itself was by far the worst I've ever worked for within the gaming industry. Sweatshop conditions aren't too far from the truth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Released
14. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Released Nov 2, 2014, 08:16 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 00:25:
So it's just like excel

I wouldn't mind if KSP had a mode like that, with real hard-core possibility of equipment failures and a mission control mode instead of a "you control everything" mode. Would make the entire thing a lot more exciting. (Given that I already did everything there is in KSP ,p)

It's like Excel with a Flash front end.

Ha, I haven't even figured out how to successfully land on the Mun and come back yet without killing everyone. I even managed to destroy the VAB once when I came back.

12. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Released Nov 1, 2014, 21:38 Burrito of Peace

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 20:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 18:18:
So that random thread there aside.. this is basically the excel version of KSP.. right?

Dunno, waiting for it to come down from Slitherine now. I'll let you know when it gets done in...6 hours.

It's very confusing, needlessly complex and about as much fun as punching yourself in the genitals while wearing brass knuckles.

Back to KSP for me!

News Comments > BATTLECRY Class Trailer
4. Re: BATTLECRY Class Trailer Nov 1, 2014, 21:26 Burrito of Peace

I read that as "Battlechess" and then got all excited.

Now, I'm bummed.

10. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Released Nov 1, 2014, 20:33 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 18:18:
So that random thread there aside.. this is basically the excel version of KSP.. right?

Dunno, waiting for it to come down from Slitherine now. I'll let you know when it gets done in...6 hours.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 13:20 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50:
You don't think it's important, because you've never been gay...

You know my sexuality? We're friends? We hang out? You're part of my life? Kindly don't try to tell someone what their personal interests are or are not.

I don't think it's important because, quite frankly, it just isn't. This isn't 1954 and there is more social acceptance than ever. We have openly gay entertainers, political figures, business people, teachers, name any profession you wish...gay folk doing the job competently and adroitly as any other person with a differing sexual orientation. In the last three years alone, we've seen a massive shift in the amount of states that allow marriages between same sex couples and even the Supreme Court has been overturning state laws that are narrowly defining marriages or outright trying to ban same sex marriages. When DOMA was being shat out in 1996, then being gay was important. When it was ruled wildly unconstitutional last year, it shifted the political and social landscape to being about the equitable application of law to all people, not merely a select, approved class.

Outside of people who want to make it an issue, telling someone you're gay is about as shocking as telling them you like watching The Walking Dead.

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50:
And if it's so unimportant to you, why are you the one posting about it the most?

Because I want Tim Cook to spend far more time continuing to make my portfolio wealthy, and innovating to make that portfolio even more wealthy, and less time writing fluff articles.

Now, do you plan to post something meaningful or continue on with this false dilemma chest thumping?

11. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 12:46 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:43:
Except, you know, there are still 29 states in this country in which you can be fired for being gay...

Would those be Right to Work states? If so, being fired for being gay is a non-issue as termination can happen for no or any specified reason whatsoever and it's completely legal. Don't like it? Have the citizens of those states repeal the laws or pass amendments to them.

So, you know, it's still silly to come out and say "I'm gay" as it is unimportant.

10. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 12:43 Burrito of Peace

mch wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:30:

I'm pretty sure this isn't him coming out - he was accidentally outed a few months back during an interview if I remember correctly.

Even so, again...who cares. The type of mouth breathing, sister fucking rednecks who would bellow "I ain't buyin' no shit from a queer!" are probably really unlikely to buy Apple products due to financial constraints or be so principally corrupt that they'll buy iWhatever anyway because they want the product.

Plus, it's really hard to be "outed" when you make statements like this "For years, Iíve been open with many people about my sexual orientation. Plenty of colleagues at Apple know Iím gay,..." That doesn't make it sound like he was keeping his orientation particularly secret, not that he had to in the first place.

6. Tim Cook: "I'm Proud to be Gay." Oct 30, 2014, 12:25 Burrito of Peace

So now the whole world knows that you like dick, Tim. Who fucking cares. This is 2014. Being gay is about as revealing and controversial as having blonde hair.

Perhaps less interviews about your sexuality and more time spent leading innovation would help the company that you're CEO of stop being iterative and go back to being at least creative.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 09:23 Burrito of Peace

theglaze wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:33:
What I was getting at is mobile smart phones are becoming a necessity for modern day living in a 1st nation metropolis, if they aren't already.

...what? No, no they aren't. They're still nothing more than a convenience, there is absolutely nothing "necessary" about them. You can absolutely live your life in a "1st nation metropolis" without one. In fact, one might actually find that they're engaging more with the things that "1st nation metropolis" offers instead of constantly staring down at a phone screen like an idiot.

I accidentally dropped my aging S3, shattering the display to the point where it became unusable. The replacement phone I wanted was out of stock and would take two weeks to get in. Those turned out to be a very interesting, life altering two weeks. I found that I was less stressed and that I spent more time enjoying life in general. Everything that needed to get done was completed on-time, as usual, but I wasn't wasting time by immediately responding to emails that could wait until I got back in to the office and I wasn't distracted by texts or phone calls.

This weird mentality that we've been sold on where we always have to be connected because it's somehow "social" is, in my opinion, actually making people less socially capable in general. Unless you choose to actively make it so, no device is necessary to your life. Well, unless you're on dialysis, have a pacemaker or some other medical, life sustaining device.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 29, 2014, 08:58 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:49:
They're allowing Xbone DA:I preloads 20+ days before the game comes out??

Given how often Live is down or extremely slow, it'll take that long just to get it fully downloaded!

News Comments > NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+
8. Re: NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+ Oct 23, 2014, 23:07 Burrito of Peace

And all I can do is sit back and laugh.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
54. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 21:02 Burrito of Peace

shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:51:

1) Space issues aside, SSDs are more durable than HDDs now. So the Ferrari's "wear out" example isn't valid.

And I said that where? Oh, right, I didn't. What I did say was misusing a platform in a manner other than intended was stupid.

Further, there is zero proof that SSDs are in any way, shape or form more "durable" than HDDs. Look, if you want to jerk off over your Samsung 850 Pro, that's fine. I have one, too, and they are in fact awesome. However, let's not spread your opinionated bullshit as fact. The BEST case I have seen for SSD durability is from The Tech Report right here. However, that's only 1.5PB of reads and writes. That's it. Even then, 66% of the drives are dead and only one of the two is still going strong with showing no signs of errors whatsoever.

On the flip side, I have a single 4TB drive that has written more than 10 times that amount and read more than 20 times that amount in two months and guess how many write delays I've had, let alone anything more serious like read failures, seek failures or sectors flagged as bad? ZERO! That's right, none!

By your claim, the HDD should be a flaming wreck whereas an SSD would be smiling from on high like a beneficent deity. Too bad real world testing and application blows your opinion out of the water.

2) You have about 30 times more storage than an average user, so your entire perspective is heavily skewed. And a 2TB drive can fill out pretty fast with space-hungry games made by stupid people.

Oh, you mean the statement where I was intellectually honest and said "Now, I grant that most people aren't going to have that kind of storage available. However, there's absolutely NOTHING stopping the average person from owning a 2TB drive"? That statement?

If the owner of said 2TB hard drive is a mouth breathing retard who doesn't understand the concepts of "uninstall" and "delete", then sure, you are going to fill that up pretty fast. Pretty much like shitting in a toilet and never flushing it. Mouth breathing retards do that, too. Should we plan mean use case scenarios to be based around the small percentile of mouth breathing retards or the wider demographic which knows to delete dead data and uninstall unwanted programs? I'm going to guess the latter is probably more common.

Essentially, apologists like you are enablers for poor programming and design. The core problem here is insufficient level of technical understanding necessary to estimate just how much space/resources taken by a specific product should be considered "reasonable".

The minute you said "essentially", you lost any sort of intelligent response capability. However, I'll answer. I don't see 3% of a standard hard drive size to be anything less than "reasonable". You are free to return to the glory days of DOS and 3.5" 1.44MB floppies. That way you can bitch and moan when anything takes up larger than 10MB as that's half your hard drive space. Those of us who live in 2014 and use equipment that was not purchased at Walmart for $199 have large drives, brutally fast components and systems that don't even blink when you dump 200 gigs on them, let alone a paltry 55GB. If that makes me an "apologist" for not giving a flying fuck about the system resources I purchased to be used actually being used, then I apologize profusely for using my systems EXACTLY in the way they were designed and built to be used.

You clearly have zero real world technical knowledge on the use of large data stores and it's glaringly obvious when you try to pontificate on resource utilization. If you're running an embedded system on bespoke hardware that's microsized, then you'd have tenuous leg to stand on. But we aren't and it isn't and you don't.

The most dangerous kind of idiot is the idiot that knows just enough.

Agreed, which is why someone like you should never, ever try to pontificate on effective and efficient usage of large storage pools, arrays or volumes. Leave space calculation and "reasonable" judgements to those who do understand and don't shit their panties over a mere 3% usage case.

51. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 19:07 Burrito of Peace

shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:51:

Second, with SSDs becoming more popular, HD space is at a premium again. And even if it wasn't, 55 gigabytes is a massive amount of information...

While I care little for the pissing contest going on about this, this small part I take an exception to and here's why:

There's no reason you should be using a single SSD as anything more than a boot drive. It makes no sense to use it as your storage device for infrequently used executables (infrequently being whenever you load it up and not running constantly). It is like buying a Ferrari so you can haul dirt and take the kids to the market. Outside of morons, who does that?

Further, 55GBs is nothing. I have 56 TB of storage available at my command. 56TB. Now, I grant that most people aren't going to have that kind of storage available. However, there's absolutely NOTHING stopping the average person from owning a 2TB drive. A quick check on Newegg and Amazon shows them to be less than $100. So, since 1000GB = 1 TB, that means that installing this game takes up a whopping 3% (rounded up from the actual 2.75%). 3%. Why, I'm practically agog at how much space that is!

Even if you're running an SFF box like a Shuttle (which one of my machines is), you STILL have the ability to have two hard drives and an optical drive so physical mounting space isn't even a real explanation for having an SSD only build.

If someone's storage drive is a small SSD, then the fact is that they are idiots, plain and simple.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2014, 12:19 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 10:55:
Couldn't LEGO find someone good to make it?
Wry

They tried...but NCsoft was too busy.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2014, 09:54 Burrito of Peace

VLC and OpenELEC means never having to say "I got fucked by a Russian botnet".  

9. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 09:52 Burrito of Peace

6GB of RAM????
55GB OF HARD DISK SPACE???

OH MY FUCKING GOD! HOW RIDICULOUS!

Wait...nope, no fucks given.

Those specs are mouse nuts on a modern day machine.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
50. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 08:26 Burrito of Peace

Alien: Isolation...<sighs>

I really, really wanted to like this game, I did. I am an unrepentant fan of the franchise who can find some nugget of goodness in all of the films and games. Some nuggets are, admittedly, larger in some examples than others.

This one, though, was like eating junk food. The first couple of bites were awesome and then it got old, fast. Rigs makes some salient points about the initial setup of the plot line, especially the bald-headed guy who gets whacked ten minutes in. After reading the emails, hearing the dialogue from NPCs and looking around the station, I want to know more about Sevastopol. What's with the riots? Why the big deal about the androids and the AI that were there to help decommission the station? If the station is truly as broken and smashed as the environment makes it out to be, then how the Hell is it holding station in a LEO above a planet?

The great thing about the Alien world is that there's so much to it; lore, setting, the look of it...even the tiny details like the dipping bird.

I didn't really get the feeling from Isolation. What I got was "Here's a playset we painted to look like it came from Alien, now go play hide and go seek with an enemy NPC who can teleport to nearly your exact location without having to go through, around or over the same obstacles you do."

The game mechanics are at best "meh". For example, I'm allegedly playing a goddamned systems engineer. Now, I don't expect Eleanor Ripley to be Scotty, Master of all that is Engineering. However, you're going to tell me that someone who works on advanced systems that propel human beings light years across the galaxy needs a blueprint to figure out how to build a pipe bomb? I don't work on spaceship but I figured out how to do that when I was 14! As an alleged "engineer", Ripley couldn't even successfully pass as a Boy Scout.

Also, what's with the medikits? Do they not have first aid kits that far in the future? Did we just, as a whole race of people, somehow forget how to stock a box full of bandages, antiseptics, cleansers and medicine? Or, while we're at it, the fact that your headlamp uses batteries up faster than a demonstrator at a vibrator expo? Looking at the nearly identical headlamps in Aliens, did you see the Colonial Marines stopping every five minutes to swap in a new set of AAs? I mean, I guess you could argue that the Colonial Marines are going to have some pretty righteous gear but batteries, and their general performance, are going to be built along a fairly standard baseline.

Putting items aside, when did I, as the character, turn in to Conan where I could bludgeon people to death with a tire iron? People who were armed and, after the first death, alerted to my presence? Or how come, again as an alleged "engineer". I'm not smart enough to realize that shooting projectiles inside a space station is a REALLY bad idea? No, no, it's cool. I totally want to depressurize this entire fucking level. I mean, sure, that would be a fairly easy and effective way of clearing out the Alien and allowing me to get on with my life and the more enjoyable pursuit of trying to figure out what the fuck is going on with this station and why everything with red, non-acidic blood and a pulse is trying to kill me.

The bottom line is that the game quickly devolves in to a game of "Whack A Mole" with you as the mole and a nearly infinite number of places lockers to hide in. The only tension really comes from the music because I already know that I can hide in a locker and wait for the Alien to despawn until I hit some further random scripted trigger that will cause the Alien to show up. Where I'll just hide, wait, and then get on with collecting "bonding agent", scrap metal and a fuel injector to somehow magically heal all my wounds.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
16. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 23:15 Burrito of Peace

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 22:57:
The difference is that killing civilians isn't the focus of games like GTA or Saint's Row. In addition, their depiction of NPC deaths is generally comical and not gory in any way.

So the gangs in SR, to use that series for example, those aren't civilians? They're military personnel? Killing Benjamin King wasn't a MAJOR focus mission in SR1? Or how how about in SR2 when I set it up so that Maero crushes his own girlfriend to death beneath the wheels of his jacked up truck? Taking her out as simple yet ruthless payback wasn't a main focus of the Brotherhood quest arc? That was "comical"? You managed a way to progress through that arc without killing her? How about in Saints Row 3 where a bridge is blown up killing dozens of people who are there for a ribbon cutting ceremony, thus setting up the player to take out the Luchadores, STAG and the Syndicate?

The reality is that in every game I mentioned, killing civilians IS the focus of those games. Oftentimes for the simple lulz. Like carjacking a car, driving it over the edge of a bridge and bailing out while the hostage passenger screams all the way to their death so I can get respect points or combo kill points.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
13. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 22:55 Burrito of Peace

I'd play it just for the laughs.

And I'd laugh because it's caricature. Am I the only one who really listened to the poorly written monologue in the opening? Its every "killing in the name of righteousness" cliche plotline distilled to its most basic. The AK-47, the gigantic Rambo-esque knife, the grenades, the alcohol...the shithole apartment. It's all there.

The wholesale slaughtering of humans in games by real humans is meaningless, it's been done in hundreds of titles preceding this one. Postal ring a bell? The Moscow Airport in COD? GTA? Saints Row? They're no less "realistic" than this.

I don't feel a twinge when killing virtual humans but, funnily enough, I have issues killing virtual animals. THAT bugs the shit out of me.

1728 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo