Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1537 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2011, 08:11 Burrito of Peace

I have to admit being somewhat puzzled by some folks' reaction. You were just given the keys to the kingdom of the hardware you legally own...and you think that's a bad thing?

Because you fear you won't be able to move your little digital avatar around and go pew pew to other people's digital avatars? Really? It never occurs to you that the company involved is acting like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum?

It's beginning to disturb me a bit as I am starting to see just how much liberty people are willing to give up for a new illusion of security or a few fleeting moments of entertainment.

And these are not hackers...these are crackers. Without crackers, we'd probably be on Starforce version 7.0 which would require daily blood samples to continue using the products you legally purchased.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Announced
13. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Announced Jan 19, 2011, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

Overon wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 21:37:
Who is Eric Johnson?

Seriously?

Wow.

News Comments > No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
31. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 13:27 Burrito of Peace

I like bees.

If you complain about PC games...you're a homosexual who hates the baby Jesus.

If you complain about console games...you're a thee fingered midget named Steve who likes to club baby seals.

If you complain about both...you're probably Seventh Day Adventist and there is no hope for you.

That cover everybody?

News Comments > 2010 Game Sales Down
18. Re: 2010 Game Sales Down Jan 13, 2011, 22:46 Burrito of Peace

BLOODY PIRATES!

Meh, who cares. I keep hitting the food pellet bar but I'm not getting Call of Honor Warfare XXIV: Afghani Purple Special Death Brigade.

How will I spend my 60 dollars on my next four hours of game play?

News Comments > Shift 2 Unleashed in March
3. Re: Shift 2 Unleashed in March Jan 13, 2011, 18:48 Burrito of Peace

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 18:39:
Where did you get that info from? Did I miss something?

Every clip they've shown thus far has all the races being at night.

News Comments > Cryptic's Top Secret Project
7. Re: Cryptic's Top Secret Project Jan 13, 2011, 13:56 Burrito of Peace

I hope their top secret work is releasing a game that's actually enjoyable to play.  

News Comments > Bulletstorm Specs
16. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

Ratty wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 13:08:
Wow, that's a stunningly retarded analogy. Did I say I wanted to keep my room-sized Univac, or maybe my old DOS 1.0 box?

Not really. The difference in progression between the Model T and, say, a modern F150 is the same ratio of progression in technology between the archaic XP kernel and the modern Win 7 kernel.

It's unfortunate that you don't know enough about the OSes themselves to have grasped that concept.

Scarily enough, I agree with Beamer.

It's morons spewing ignorant, bullshit FUD that makes a very small segment say "XP is easier/simpler/better/more stable than Windows 7" without realizing just how wrong they are.

XP was great...in 2000, when I had it as a beta build on the hardware of that era.

Today, fuck, I can't imagine trying to actually run XP x64, or even 32 bit, on modern hardware. What a waste of money on the hardware.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Specs
4. Re: Bulletstorm Specs Jan 11, 2011, 12:11 Burrito of Peace

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 12:07:
Maybe some people don't want to install a new OS if everything is already working. What's the point in upgrading if you don't need to?

I'm sure a Model T would still classify as "already working" too. However, I prefer modern conveniences like air conditioning.

XP "works", true, but it lacks a lot of the refinement and advances that Windows 7 offers.

News Comments > Thief 4 at GDC?
6. Re: Thief 4 at GDC? Jan 6, 2011, 22:54 Burrito of Peace

I'll take me some new Thief. It can not be any worse than Total War: The Abortion That Lived or Dawn of War II - We Keep Milking This Franchise or Final Fantasy XXXXIV: We're really not rehashing the same game for you stupid round eyes.  

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
39. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 5, 2011, 22:43 Burrito of Peace

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 19:44:

Yeah, the original post could be summed up as "internet lawyer making shit up". Free is NOT automatically equal to releasing into the public domain.

Or it could be more accurately summed up as gained experience based on working very hard as part of an internal team to get an MMO that was sunsetted released to the fans who wanted to run their own servers.

Then the lawyers got involved and that's the word that was given.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
13. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 11:36:

So what would be the business excuse for not releasing the server executables then?

Protection of intellectual property rights. If you give the methodology of an ongoing process or tangible good away for free, then there is the possibility that, in a court of law, it can be construed that you have released it in to the public domain.

Whether those of us that live in reality see it that way or not, it's all about covering your ass legally.

After all, you can't terrorize and sue the shit out of Grandma for "piracy" if your property has been deemed to be in the public domain.

News Comments > No Fable III PC News Yet
23. Re: No Fable III PC News Yet Jan 4, 2011, 15:36 Burrito of Peace

It would not surprise me if the "reveal" is that Molyneaux kicked a puppy while raping an orphan...with an MGS executive holding an Xbox 360 branded, officially licensed gun to his head.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2011, 12:10 Burrito of Peace

Anne Francis also passed away.

She was the hotness in Forbidden Planet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2011, 09:47 Burrito of Peace

RIP Pete Postlewaite.

Guy was a great actor and very believable in every role he played.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
5. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Dec 30, 2010, 22:14 Burrito of Peace

How's the installer now?

I went out and bought Crysis some time ago simply to play this mod but the installation was a pain in the ass.

News Comments > The Demise of The Bard's Tale
4. Re: The Demise of The Bard's Tale Dec 27, 2010, 22:27 Burrito of Peace

Good call, AW.

Ultima 7 and the original Pool of Radiance were probably some of the pinnacles of CRPGs.

News Comments > The Demise of The Bard's Tale
2. Re: The Demise of The Bard's Tale Dec 27, 2010, 22:11 Burrito of Peace

The Bard's Tale was the first RPG I ever played on a PC. Previous to that, I played Dungeon Master on the Atari ST.

I had a whole pad full of graph paper that we used to chart out the game as we played through.

It was an amazing game but the rest of them weren't as engaging, to me, as the first.

As for Fargo's "Bard's Tale"...it sucked donkey balls, wasn't particularly fun and was clearly nothing more than a cash-in on the name.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam
6. Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam Dec 27, 2010, 22:03 Burrito of Peace

I loved the first NWN but I don't remember fully why I didn't extensively play the 2nd. I vaguely recall that I tried it and it had a metric fuckton of bugs that made the game nigh on unplayable on my then-current system.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
70. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 26, 2010, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 10:29:

You're so stupid I can't even argue with you.

Translation: I can not logically argue a valid counterpoint, so I am going to drop back to ad hominem attacks.

With most positions yes, such as the guy at the local starbucks making minimum wage. Not with waitstaff. Again you're a fucking moron (sorry Blue) for not getting that this is the way legislators have designed the system. They've done that to give customers some control. Your free riding ruins that.

This is cute. I tell you that as a consumer, I have some measure of control in my dining experience, you clearly agree with me here, and then tell me I'm ruining it by exercising it because, again, I'm not tripping all over myself to follow a custom that is inherently flawed.

Name dropping doesn't make you sound educated...

No, it just means that I have actually read all three major interpretations of it and understand it.

Clearly, you haven't and don't, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to laughably argue that there's a social contract in place for tipping. For tipping!

You're taking advantage of people and hiding behind "Consumer rights." It's ridiculous. But fine, under your model we increase the price of every single food item 20% and that goes directly to waitstaff salary. Huzzah! Consumers won!

Ok...and? You just shot yourself in the foot. Well done. If that's what it takes to insure they earn the minimum wage standard, so be it. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why are you so dead set against it? Are you that cheap?

Because what you're saying is insanely insulting. Your attitude is insanely insulting. You're a fucking crime against humanity. I love your username, too. The only thing you'd ever possibly advocate for are things in your own self-interest. There's no chance you'd ever be willing to give more and lose some for a good cause, as your tipping attitude proves.

Thank you for making me chuckle. You've no idea where the name came from or why it exists. Further, you know absolutely nothing about my charitable endeavors since it isn't something I speak of, even to those closest to me.

Again, this highlights your inability to do anything but froth at the mouth and bang wildly at a keyboard.

It's fucking amazing. C'mon, Father Shaughnessy taught you better.

Clearly, you didn't know the man. Which means you only know him through something I recollected. One of the first, and oft repeated, things he taught all of us was to take a stand against self-entitlement.

All of your posts reek of it. They can be all boiled down to the statement "I did my job, pay me above and beyond what I agreed to be paid for the sole reason of having done that job". Even the article you snidely linked to confirms that. There's zero additional justification of your points, it essentially says "TIP!" Nothing more.

You may find me absolutely distasteful for refusing to feed in to that self-entitlement, so be it. It doesn't particularly concern me and there is no amount of discussion, no matter how uncivil, that is going to see us agreeing on the subject.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
65. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 17:01 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:56:
NO! That is NOT how it works!

That's exactly how it works. Were you forced in to your current employment, if you are employed, at gunpoint? No? Then you made a choice. See? That's exactly how it works.

Tipping is standard and therefore validly expected unless you fuck up.

No, no it isn't. Simply because you repeat something long enough doesn't make it true. You can't explain why the system is in place, you can only regurgitate the same line over and over. Tipping is a reward for service above and beyond the common standard. Just like performance bonuses in real jobs.

So the option is not to "not take [the job in the tip-driven industry]" but for the jerks to not eat at a place that is driven by tips. Don't think you should tip? Eat take-out.

Actually, that's the only direct and valid option available. Take a job that pays you what you think you're worth. Stop stamping your feet and insulting customers like a child because you can't manage to land a job that pays you a guaranteed living wage.

You're a free-rider, you know that?

You're a moron, you know that? You clearly have zero understanding of, or respect for, the money you earn.

There's a simple social contract:...

No, there isn't. In fact, tipping has absolutely nothing to do with a social contract of any sort, whether you're using Hobbes', Locke's or Rousseau's take on the matter.

This is how the industry functions.

Pick a different industry that pays you better.

You're free-riding and taking advantage of it.

I'm sure the waitress I tipped at lunch this afternoon felt that she was taken advantage of. That's why she hugged me and thanked me.

It's infuriatingly arrogant and, quite frankly, stupid.

I agree, your lack of an understanding on consumer based rights, intelligent management of money and complete naivety on the work-reward system is absolutely arrogant and blindingly stupid.

Though it's cute how you can't manage a single reply without attempting to insult your opponent.

1537 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo