Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1571 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 11, 2012, 22:12 Burrito of Peace

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:02:
I need to hurry to kill the process so that it doesn't eventually bluescreen if I let it go.

Stop the system from restarting when it blue screens, if you haven't done so already. What is Windows reporting as the cause of the blue screen? A specific file or something like IO_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 11, 2012, 21:21 Burrito of Peace

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:05:
Wish I knew what it was.

The shitty ATi card you paid for. I'm honestly not trolling you or jerking off in random fanboyism. Every ATi product I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, whether that be discrete cards or laptop chipsets or their more recent integrated video, has been a total fucking nightmare where shit would randomly crash for no apparent reason.

We'd re-image the exact same machine (sans video drivers of course), drop in an Nvidia card, install the drivers...and not have any problem whatsoever.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. Playing LoG has brought back many happy memories of playing Dungeon Master on my Atari ST and, later, the Eye of the Beholder series.

Is it at all possible to drop in an Nvidia test card and see if the problem continues?

News Comments > GTA5 in October?
24. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

Or the same old rinse-repeat formula:

Pick:
Random minority
Bottom dwelling loser
All of the above

Start at:
Near homeless

Tell story of:
Revenge/vendetta

Fill with:
Cliched and/or stereotypical NPCs

Stop game when:
Hackneyed, obvious ending that was seen from the very start of the game is cued.

To make sequel:
See above.

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
61. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 11:06:

Sounds like he's trying to...

..troll and you bit the hardest on it.

Congratulations.

News Comments > Stellar Impact Trailer
2. Re: Stellar Impact Trailer Apr 4, 2012, 13:12 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 11:17:
Speaking of space games. Anyone into the X series? When is Rebirth coming out. Think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Indeed. I play it regularly although X is the kind of game that, after a while, becomes a second job.

News Comments > Free-to-Play AION Soars in EU
5. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Apr 3, 2012, 11:49 Burrito of Peace

Jivaro wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 11:31:
...a bit of grinding...

"A bit" is a charitable and extremely misleading statement. It has a great deal of grinding in it. Long, slow, tedious grinding. It is an Asian MMO down to its roots.

News Comments > Gods & Heroes Changes
7. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:36 Burrito of Peace

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 14:35:
...GAUL...

How did the French have anything to do with this?

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Gold
22. Re: Legend of Grimrock Gold Mar 24, 2012, 10:06 Burrito of Peace

Holy shit, how did I miss this?

EOB and DM rank up in my top ten games of all time!

Day one buy. Period.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 00:15 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 23:08:
What a stupid article. Pure troll.

No, Cutter's right. It is 100% pure troll for clicks. The author's arguments present themselves as fact, almost fait accompli. No business that I have ever been in, or dealt with, has any interest in moving their data to the magic "cloud" of a third party provider. Even a local cloud isn't much of a temptation.

It's too much a nascent technology for established businesses to buy in to and even your average consumer got a nasty bite in the ass when Kodak told them that all the photos they were storing were going to magically go away unless they either had local copies or downloaded them to make local copies. That's just one in a long line of bitter experiences for people.

People who think that the next three generations of tablets are going to replace PCs are the same sort of people who though 30 pound "laptops" were going to revolutionize and replace the PC in the 80s...and the PC kept growing.

Further, mainframes didn't "die". They evolved in to the blade racks we have today. Anyone who can't see that is probably clueless.

Meh, fuck it. I'm going to bed.

TL; DR version: Article is full of shit. People who buy in to that are full of shit, blinded by trying too hard to be trendy hipster douchebags.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
1. Re: Saturday Screenshots Mar 11, 2012, 12:10 Burrito of Peace

I guess Skyrim has spoiled me because those screenshots look less than "stunning" these days.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews Mar 8, 2012, 21:00 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:29:
OMG OMG CUTTER LOOK... SCREENSHOTS! *faints*

Unimpressive ones, at that.

What happened to the game Tinker and Smith were working on?

News Comments > SimCity 5 Next Year?
7. Re: SimCity 5 Next Year? Mar 4, 2012, 21:20 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:59:
I'll only buy this if I can create the 4th Reich and realize our Fuhrer's dream of a perfectly designed Berlin!!!

You know, an alternate history game like that would be really cool.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 4, 2012, 09:00 Burrito of Peace

Lorcin wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:58:
If a call comes in and I know it's urgent I'll walk outside and take it.

You are part of, perhaps, 10% whom do that. The other 90% sit their asses right there and try to resolve the conflicts in the world.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 3, 2012, 18:58 Burrito of Peace

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:02:
Cell phones have been around forever now - but as soon as stuff like the "Occupy Wall St." thing pops up the government suddenly gets interested in being able to jam them.

Hmm..

No surprises there. I like how "violent flash mobs" and terrorism (bomb detonation) are listed as reasons.

And yet "Annoying, self-important douchebags in move theatres and checkout lanes" aren't.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

Oh, Christ, that is some of the most biased, skewed reporting I've read about Linux in a long time.

Going from sub 1% to a hair over 1% as your "64% growth" isn't even in the same ballpark as Microsoft gaining 34% in terms of actual installed PCs.

I like Linux, I run OpenSUSE as my favorite distro for everything that isn't gaming, but let's not get the fundamentalist neckbeards chanting 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2012 is the Year of the Linux Desktop!

News Comments > Redshirt Announced
9. Re: Redshirt Announced Mar 1, 2012, 08:39 Burrito of Peace

Dev wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 00:32:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 23:18:
For some reason this game popped into my head as I thought about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Colony_(video_game)
https://www.google.com/search?q=space%20colony%20game&&tbm=isch

Man was it a pain to look up since I couldn't remember the title and generic keywords like "space station game" were not helping.
Heh. I played that game, it was a fun little thing. Reminded me of another space station type game called Startopia (from mucky foot, which was from former bullfrog, and was published by eidos).

I LOVED Startopia if only for its pleasant oddity. It was a very fun game that is, now, sadly unplayable even on modern boxes running XP.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Takes Off
18. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 14:55 Burrito of Peace

This "game" cures insomnia.

The most fun I had was crashing the Stearman into the buildings of Honolulu.

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
1. Re: Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff Feb 29, 2012, 14:03 Burrito of Peace

I'm going to guess that those are all support staff jobs.  

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
11. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 10:50 Burrito of Peace

As someone who doesn't have that instant "OMGEAWHARRRGBBBL" reaction, I've a hard time seeing how EA believes this will help them in the long term. I am already a Steam user simply because it is the most accessible and ubiquitous digital distribution platform. Steam, in terms of the carrot and stick model, seem to be a lot more biased towards the carrot by offering ridiculously awesome sale prices and giving away free titles.

EA, on the other hand, seems to be favoring "bludgeon the customer to death with the stick". For example, I was very much interested in Mass Effect 3. Now that I am forced to install Origin, yet another shaky digital distribution system that I do not want, as part of the process of installing the game simply means that EA will not be selling me a copy.

Why force me to do it? I am not interested in your platform, only the game that you are publishing. There is nothing about your platform that inherently makes the title that much more awesome. In fact, it seems like it'll be less awesome due to several added layers of complexity that did not need to exist in the first place.

I feel the same way about Ubisoft's products and their ridiculously crippling and anti-customer DRM scheme. As a company, they are free to publish their products in any manner they see fit. As a consumer, I am also free to not purchase those products.

I do understand that, in the short term, they're both telling their shareholders "See, we're preventing piracy!" I am sure that makes some 60+ year old investment codger who knows nothing about technology, and how easy it is to circumvent such DRM schemes, feel better and sleep like a baby at night.

However, to offer an ROI to those investors, you have to sell product to generate income. That's where I, the consumer, come in. I'm not going to be part of your income generation cycle if you're going to inconvenience me, abuse my property without permission, scan and acquire data while covering your ass with very gray language in an as-yet untested in court EULA and then treat me as a criminal that I have not yet proved myself to be.

Franchises run their course and no closed system is around forever. Ask Atari, Coleco or Amiga. I don't see how a business can constantly count on revenue from one market share to make up for losses in another and remain viably competitive and profitable. Especially when you know that cash cow market is ephemeral.

In 2010, there were 1.4 billion PCs on the planet*. Compare that to the projected 257 million consoles by 2015**. What are the margins for selling console titles versus PC titles sold over digital distribution? Probably much lower, I'd imagine, given the physical production costs, certification costs and those very expensive "development" consoles. It therefore stands to reason that you'd want to sell as many copies as possible to the PC market via digital distribution.

But you don't do it by starting your own competing service this late in the game. Especially if that service is less polished and offers less choices at higher prices than your competition. Microsoft learned this with Games for Windows Live. They learned it painfully in terms of lost good will and lost revenue.

So why, EA, are you making that same mistake? You know what's going to happen and believing that the Battlefield, Mass Effect and Star Wars franchises are going to pull you through is myopic. You'll exchange long term profitability and growth for short term monetary gains. You can't churn out quality titles of any of those three franchises to keep your service afloat. Your good will among the community that you started in has largely evaporated and with the horror stories that have come out of your development studios, it is unlikely that indie studios are going to leave Steam in favor of your service.

At any rate, EA has failed to provide me with a single compelling reason to use their service either instead of or along side Steam.

*PC numbers source

**Console numbers source

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter
1. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 09:52 Burrito of Peace

I read the title and immediately thought "FUCK YEAH! We're getting a modern Sundog remake!"

Then I was disappointed.

1571 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo