Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1890 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2015, 22:14 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 20:24:
We have 50 year old B-52s that are still flying. I would expect advanced tech to be even more robust.

Yeah, all 10 examples of the H model still in storage out of the 100s produced. Good rebuttal. Rolleyes

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is a bad thing. It shows a lack of creativity and a laziness on the part of Disney after scrapping the entire EU.

Like Luke during the original Death Star battle?

Yeah, 'cause Skywalker totally buzzed a pond in the midst of an attack run. Totally like it. Rolleyes

First, that SD is pretty hazy far off in the distance. Second, it looks like it has been there a long time, long enough for sand storms to blast away any carbon scoring. Third, it appears to have come down upright, so any burnt part would be on the bottom out of view. Last, SDs are a mile long and heavily armored. It would make it through atmo entirely intact.

Not so far off in the distance that we can't see the finite details on the goddamned piping. "Magic sand blasting" isn't going to ease the bubbled and folded edges of melted metal and abrade them in to a perfectly angular shape in line with the lines of the original structure. Last, SD's are not a mile long. Those are SSDs. That is very clearly the flying bridge of a bog standard SD. Further, the SDs weren't that heavily armored. Seems standard laser cannons used to punch right through them without any difficulty.

Like the scene where Obi Wan hands Luke his father's light saber?

Yep, which completely contradicts the Order's method of teaching and, in fact, Skywalker himself goes off and builds his own lightsaber to meet the requirements of the Jedi Codex. Further, Skywalker sets up the new Jedi Academy on Yavin post Battle of the Warrior Teddy Bears.

Seriously dude, pull the stick out of your ass.

Seriously, fanboy, fuck off and eat a bowl of dicks if you can't handle some honest criticism where Disney violates its own goddamned IP and rules.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2015, 19:48 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 19:31:
That villain looks like Darth Revan

This is what I posted elsewhere:
Here's some of the shit that irritates me; decrepit Han Solo as pandering fan service? Check. Ancient Millenium Falcon (which was old when Han got it) that is also nothing more than pandering fan service? Check. The Sith Helmet person looking like a direct ripoff of Darth Revan from the first Knights of the Old Republic? Check. ALL THE CHROME! X-Wing pilots that act like sixteen year olds hooning in their parents car. A Star Destroyer that apparently made it through atmo and into the sand without so much as a scorch mark let alone being broken and twisted. The handing over of a lightsaber to a novice that should, by even Disney's own canon, build their own.

News Comments > 2K Australia Closing
7. Re: 2K Australia Closing Apr 16, 2015, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

Midnight wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 10:53:
There were some good folk at 2k Australia, and now there are no AAA studios left in the country. This really sucks.

I am going to guess the high cost of living and labor in Australia is what made 2K pull the plug. If ROI doesn't meet target goals after X amount of quarters/years, you find another resource/area where it does. That's just business.

With them owning 2K Czech and 2K China, two other studios that have much, much cheaper costs of labor, they will probably shift development to them.

Borderlands is now no longer unique. It is a franchise with a very specific and easy to follow formula. Any studio in the world can now follow that formula template and crank out sequels.

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
18. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 15:43 Burrito of Peace

Dacron wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 14:33:
Well to be fair it sounds more like full sim support than for the average user.

Where guys have race seats, control pedestals and sometimes hydraulically controlled seats in front of 3-12 monitors on rigs set up just for simulation driving.

You just described my dad. That's all he plays and has spent a kingly sum on building a full motion cockpit simulator.

News Comments > WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming?
14. Re: WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming? Apr 15, 2015, 13:58 Burrito of Peace

MacLeod wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 11:58:
I actually don't think it affected GW2 at all, as ArenaNet has their own customer support I believe.

It did. I had a few friends who were still working there on GS for GW2 and they were "made redundant".

News Comments > WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming?
9. Re: WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming? Apr 15, 2015, 10:41 Burrito of Peace

This comes about five days after a massive layoff occurred at NCsoft's Austin location. Almost all of it in game support for, you guessed it, Wildstar and, to a smaller extent, Guild Wars 2.  

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
7. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 10:38 Burrito of Peace

Is the formatting for the specs in the post all messed up or is it just me?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Are Intel processor clock speeds accurate? Apr 13, 2015, 14:33 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:28:
Even if your hard drives were plugged in as slots, you'd still have to run fan cables.

That depends, I think, on how heavily loaded the system is. If we used ducting and negative pressure, we could draw the heat up and out easily and relatively quietly.

1. Are Intel processor clock speeds accurate? Apr 13, 2015, 09:26 Burrito of Peace

Does it matter anymore? Truly? Outside of false advertising, I mean.

When was the last time any of us ran in to a processor bound system? I haven't in probably more than a decade. If anything, we've been I/O bound for much longer. With SSDs now being cheap enough to deploy in every system build for every budget, we're finally, slowly, ridding ourselves of the problems with spinning rust disks. Memory is finally catching up with the DDR3, and now DDR4, standards so that we actually have better throughput between disk and memory. I believe I saw a recent example where DDR4 and an SSD had finally reached a 1:1. Ars or Anand, maybe.

I think our biggest problem is on the system bus itself. I think PCI has hit the point of diminishing returns in regards to how much higher it can be pushed.

With SOCs seemingly on track to become the future of all machines, it would seem a better idea to use QPI to interconnect between SOCs and have those SOCs run executions of particular processes either in parallel or asynchronously, depending on the task. Run that data back to a centralized SOC that acts as a hub and head unit. Imagine it to be like an enterprise cluster today...but in the size of an mATX or ITX build today and all in one box.

Granted, we would need better advancements in IGPs but some of the mobility parts from AMD and Nvidia are already incredibly decent performers. Start integrating them in to SOCs and a dual, quad, sex or octo SLI setup would be easy and less expensive than it is to currently employ discrete cards.

I'd like to imagine that day when the only cabling I have in my system is the one that runs from the power supply to the board and that's it. Use advanced system throttling and power management and we could all have systems that were dead quiet, or mostly so.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - StarDrive 2
11. Re: Steamship Ahoy - StarDrive 2 Apr 10, 2015, 14:05 Burrito of Peace

Cool! Thanks Slashman. I might give it a whirl this weekend.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy
10. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy Apr 10, 2015, 12:46 Burrito of Peace

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 12:41:
Any word on consoles?

Huh...I wasn't aware that filthy console peasants were literate, let alone knew what a "word" is.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 10, 2015, 12:26 Burrito of Peace

As a former Apple employee in the enterprise group (Xserves and XSAN), I am extremely glad I got out as quickly as I did. The best way I can describe that company's culture is totalitarian dictatorship cult.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - StarDrive 2
9. Re: Steamship Ahoy - StarDrive 2 Apr 10, 2015, 12:23 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 11:23:
As much as I'm looking forward to playing Stardrive 2, I feel I have to plug Star Ruler 2 here.

I highly recommend anyone interested in 4x games to check out Star Ruler 2. Those guys deserve some publicity and support.

From what I have seen of Star Ruler 2, the interface seems very...busy. Can you confirm?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. YouTube planning subscription service for ad-free videos. Apr 9, 2015, 10:50 Burrito of Peace

I already have that, it's called Adblock Plus.  

News Comments > Star Control Reboot FAQ
18. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 9, 2015, 09:05 Burrito of Peace

Numinar wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:24:
Neato! A roguelike hybrid procedural...

No. Just...no.

12. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 8, 2015, 15:37 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 12:55:
I feel like you and the Burrito started with Star Control 2.

You are correct. Mobygames lists the original Star Control having been released in 1990. That year, I was still on an Atari Mega ST, a platform for which Star Control was not released. When I got my first IBM/DOS/Windows PC, Star Control 2 was one of my first games.

I do remember Starflight on the ST and I remember playing but I also recall that I felt at the time that Sundog was a better game.

5. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 8, 2015, 11:49 Burrito of Peace

I certainly hope that it, the reboot, is a real time like the original SC2 and not turn based like GC. Nothing against GC, but SC wouldn't work well as a turn based game given that part of the game mechanics were your reflexes in avoiding encounters in hyperspace and real space (annoying probes are annoying for example).

I'm disappointed that we won't get to see the Zoq-Fot-Pik again. Part of the charm of the SC universe is the humor of the "silly" races balanced against the deadly seriousness of the Ur-Quan.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 7, 2015, 21:16 Burrito of Peace

So I have had the...experience of interacting with the lead dev of Shallow Space on Facebook.

He's an absolute and utter tool.

He's clueless, arrogant and defensive to the point of being offensive when people, who have expressed an interest in the game, suggest things that they would find fun in playing the game.

When a mod or someone else calls him on his shitty attitude, his excuse is "We're not a studio, we have other full time jobs". Great thing to say! So you're telling everyone that you don't plan to pursuit this as a real effort, just as a hobby. Yet you still want cash to pretend that you are making a serious effort.

Fuck that game and fuck that guy. It screams of a scam.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 4, 2015, 10:11 Burrito of Peace

So I have had the...experience of interacting with the lead dev of Shallow Space on Facebook.

He's an absolute and utter tool.

He's clueless, arrogant and defensive to the point of being offensive when people, who have expressed an interest in the game, suggest things that they would find fun in playing the game.

When a mod or someone else calls him on his shitty attitude, his excuse is "We're not a studio, we have other full time jobs". Great thing to say! So you're telling everyone that you don't plan to pursuit this as a real effort, just as a hobby. Yet you still want cash to pretend that you are making a serious effort.

Fuck that game and fuck that guy. It screams of a scam.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 3, 2015, 00:01 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 16:42:
I personally know a couple of police officers that are great guys, in both their private and professional lives.

"Couple"; meaning two.

Yeah, that sure is bucking the trend.

1890 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo