Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1636 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:05 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13:18:
Cutter. Cutter! CUTTER!!!!

New X-Rebirth Footage!

IT'S ALSO OUT ON NOVEMBER 15TH! HOLY FUCKING FUCK!!!!! I need to find some Nutella to cover myself in!!

How the actual fuck did I miss that? I think...I think I need to go change my shorts. That footage is awesome!

As for the requested feedback:

1. Stating an opinion about why you think someone is disagreeable is ok. Ad hominem attacks are not.

2. Ditch the screenshots. It really breaks the flow on mobiles and decreased the navigability of the site. I tend to read BN far more on my phone than I do on my PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 7, 2013, 09:06 Burrito of Peace

I'm not entirely sure it is useless, eRe4s3r.

When you use TOR with several other anonymizing technologies, I think you do a much better job of hiding yourself than simply using any single method by itself.

News Comments > SECRETS OF RÆTIKON Trailer
3. Re: SECRETS OF RÆTIKON Trailer Aug 7, 2013, 08:10 Burrito of Peace

Looks like shit. Yet another sad entry into an overburdened field of failed attempts and broken dreams.  

News Comments > Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled
10. Re: Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled Aug 6, 2013, 19:05 Burrito of Peace

Devinoch wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 18:43:
...that's making it harder and harder to develop independent games.

When the majority of said independent developers actually do something other than churn out cheesy 8 bit retreads and slightly upgraded Flash games, then you'll see the investment capital.

Case in point: Star Citizen.

How much has that game raked in now? 6 mil, I think, between Kickstarter and the RSI page directly? I know I chipped in $250 because it actually looked like it was worth that much money. Not only does it look to have solid gameplay, it looks amazing, graphically, on top of it.

KSP is another success story. While not as pretty as Star Citizen, it sure has a lot of meat under the hood and delivers more than sprites moving on square grids. I have more than gotten my money out of it, and still am, and it's not even beta yet.

Game development is more than slapping together a half-ass product and saying "Look! Indie game!" Just like any other product, it has to fill a niche that is either under-served or perform better than any other product out there in its segment. Frankly, most indie games don't do that. Prototyping any product costs money, time, dedication and getting it out there costs more money, time, dedication and not an insignificant amount of luck. All of that is predicated on market research that shows that your product has the ability to make a profit.

"Indie game developer" is quickly becoming synonymous with "hipster" in my head. A lot of fuss for a lot of bullshit.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2013, 19:24.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. The Alamo on The Strategy Wargamer. Aug 6, 2013, 12:08 Burrito of Peace

That is, without a doubt, one of the worst reviews I've ever read. Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation usage were non-existent. It was like reading an ADHD riddled, Reddit using 6th grader's review of something he has no actual knowledge about.

News Comments > Free race.a.bit Released
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2013, 23:03 Burrito of Peace

I'm with you. 8-bit crap was great...when I had an Atari 800. Sure, a lot of suckers bought in to the NES but it had really shitty graphics. I had an Atari ST at the time. Near VGA level graphics and I had stereo sound out of it! Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master, Starflight, Goldrunner...so many amazingly gorgeous games, for the time, that slaughtered the shit out of the 8-bit crap.

What's the point of having a decent gaming rig if all you're going to play are games that wouldn't make a Riva 128 or Mach64 break a sweat?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2013, 22:54 Burrito of Peace

John Carmack: Making IPS displays his bitch.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 2, 2013, 22:52 Burrito of Peace

If he'd lisped and preened any harder, he would have broken out in to showtunes with his mother. Talk about reinforcing a horrible stereotype.  

News Comments > Omerta – City of Gangsters for OS X Released
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2013, 22:47 Burrito of Peace

It's basically Habbo Hotel with some minor criminal elements.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 1, 2013, 14:07 Burrito of Peace

I have a cloud. A very large cloud.

It does not make anything eleventyhojillion times faster. All it means is that I have a better distribution of the load. Whether that is network load, data transfer load, transaction load or whathaveyou.

Sure, in theory, you could have a buttload of Titan supercomputers in a datacentre doing nothing but crunching arbitrary numbers but that seems like an awful lot of money for just offloading processing.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 30, 2013, 09:21 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 08:34:
In Blizzard defense (dear lord be gentle), how much money was Blizzard loosing to gold sellers, private auctions, etc? Not to mention how many customer service issues from people who were ripped off by taking advantage of said 3rd party services?

I can answer the latter part. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked third tier support for a couple of MMOs. Blizzard's policy, as is the policy of many publishers, on people getting ripped off from third party services was "Sucks to be you. Next time, don't be a cheater and hopefully you'll learn from this experience." The amount of ragequits and childish whining about how unfair that was warmed the cockles of my cold, dead heart. It doesn't take that long to tell people to grow up and live with the outcome of their actions, even if you are answering several hundred to a thousand support requests, individually, a day.

This is a cash grab by Blizzard, plain and simple. They're no different than EA, SOE or any other large publisher. They have all adopted the same business model in the last few years of "Rape the customer's wallet, provide shit customer service and just focus on the short term, going from title to title".

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 13:52 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 12:23:
But none of that is particularly new. I've been able to fix things remotely on my Android/iPhone for the last 2-3 years. Admittedly it's not the easiest thing in the world to work with, but it works fine.

So if that's the Surface RT's saving grace, well...

Creston

It has its place in my world is all I am saying while recognizing its vast shortcomings. Sure, I've got a terminal app on my phone, too, but you can bet I would never think of it as my first go to device should something big go down. Hell, it wouldn't even be my second or third choice. More to the point, my phone doesn't have a built-in office suite, RD nor cloud integration. These are three things that are non-negotiable in my world.

I'm not a fan of it, it's just a tool. A tool that is far lighter than a laptop and has a longer battery life. It is not a lifestyle device for me nor is it to extend the length of my eCock. IF you're looking for something to flick back and forth while you sit on the couch, this is not the device for you.

Plain and simple, it's a failed product as it stands today for what Microsoft wanted it to be used for. Should someone ever get a functioning Linux distro on it that supports all of its hardware features, and is feature rich, I think it'll be a great, (and by then) cheap tablet for people who want to DIY.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 10:24 Burrito of Peace

As a Surface RT owner, I have to say:

Microsoft fucked this up. They marketed it horribly and it has no place trying to compete with the Nexus, Kindle and iPad. It's horrible for home use.

However, what it does excel at is as a bridge device between work and home. Office, Remote Desktop and Azure integration are really well done. Buy the cheap Terminal application and now I don't actually have to be sitting at a desk to fix...whatever one of the junior admins have horribly, catastrophically broken in the name of "progress".

Still, it's not a tablet I can recommend outside of a very niche demographic of users.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

Sho wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 02:04:
Articulate, intelligent explanation of why RAM usage is a good thing here.

At a more anecdotal level, I have 16GB of main system memory in my desktop PC. Right now, the system has reserved 6GB of that for itself. Applications that I bring up often load up in five seconds or less thanks to predictive caching (which is awesome for KSP and the hojillion mods I have installed, for example). Even so, I can't recall ever seeing a game slice off more than 4GB for its own usage. RAM is there to be used, not sit idle and suck down power. I don't see the fuss.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Chromecast Jul 26, 2013, 09:19 Burrito of Peace

Tim Collins wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 07:59:
I recommend everybody reading this to get a Chromecast, $35 to stream to your tv is killer.

So that Google can pass on my viewing habits and preferred entertainment to the NSA and other GAs without notification or a public warrant?

No thanks, I'll pass. Google has lost all goodwill it ever had with me.

News Comments > Vendetta Online Patched; Adds Oculus Rift Support
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2013, 07:58 Burrito of Peace

Admittedly the last time I played VO was three years ago. Realizing this, I downloaded the client and created a trial account last night. Gave it about two hours of playtime.

Things that are better:
* Definitely better models/general graphics
* There is a lot more NPC activity than I remember
* Yay! A thorough tutorial now!

Things that appear to have remained the same:
* Almost all missions are of the standard, generic MMO type.
* Lack of players
* I'm not seeing any sort of story arc that makes me want to invest in the character yet. The three factions, outside of the description text, don't seem to have anything that makes them unique from one another outside of models and colors.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2013, 18:47 Burrito of Peace

COD players can go EABOD and then DIAF.

NTTAWWT.

News Comments > Vendetta Online Patched; Adds Oculus Rift Support
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 18:44 Burrito of Peace

Tried playing VO and it was just so...sterile to me. The models were bland, the missions were bland and the universe seemed well...sterile. Not a lot of PC traffic.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Saints Row IV
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 18:36 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:09:
Wait, wait, wait.

It's going gold on July 24th and not going to be released until nearly a month later? WTF?!?

It's obvious. They need the extra time to polish up the day one DLC and Season Passes they're going to try to sell you.

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
5. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 21:21 Burrito of Peace

Dev wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 21:09:
AWESOME!!!!!
I loved star control 2. 3 was kinda meh.
I loved the game itself, but also the 2 player on same keyboard combat mini game thing, my brother and I had tons of fun battling each other with that.

Also, if you have any love for star control, there's an open source remake (they even received some of the code from the 3do version from the original devs):
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

If you liked the music, they have that available as a separate download, most has been remixed in the last few years for the open source release, and most of the remixes were done by the original composers!
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
Its a great set of electronica type music, a wide variety of it. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, the original (and the redone) music.

UQM is one of those games that I can play over and over again, even if I already know the story by heart and can beat the game in less than 8 hours. It's just that awesome.

1636 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo