Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1689 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
11. Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 21, 2014, 10:02 Burrito of Peace

I just gave up on this game, period. Between the constant chat and mail spam, the broken quests, falling through the world and generally lackluster world itself (how the fuck do you manage that with the Elder Scrolls universe??), I couldn't do it any more.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 18, 2014, 16:11 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 12:44:
I can't really overstress how much this goes against Linux's rep as a serious up-and-coming gaming platform.

It's fucking Gnome. EVERYTHING Gnome does goes against Linux's rep as a serious up and coming gaming platform*. You want to make the transition for Windows users easier? Get Clem from Mint to work with Valve on making Cinnamon the default desktop for SteamOS and give him the funds and manpower to mature it a little bit more. Easy to use desktop, baked in library of real games.

*Discounting enterprise servers. Everybody already knows that Linux is the reigning king in that space.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
37. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 11:20:
It takes a lot of time to create games, especially one on the scope of this. You can throw 200 million dollars at it and they still couldn't make it appear in a year.

I don't inherently disagree with you, having seen development first hand that took quite a bit of time. However, what is being promised is 95% hype and 5% tangible. I'm seeing ghosts of Spore, Tabula Rasa, Daikatana, and Battlecruiser 3000.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong. If it proves out that I am wrong, and it is a truly great game, I will freely admit that I was wrong and say "Mea culpa". That being said, we're being promised a Ferrari and what we're seeing in action so far is a Bricklin in my opinion.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
21. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 11:13 Burrito of Peace

I tossed 50 bucks at this game when it was first put up on Kickstarter. Since then, I haven't seen any announcements that have made me say "That was the best fifty I ever spent". Instead, I am left with the cold dread that I might never see this game come to completion and, even if I do, it will not be 1/10 of what has been promised and announced.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't in good conscience put any more money toward a backing pledge, especially given how little we've seen that 42 million generate. How far has the dogfighting module slipped now?

News Comments > Watch Dogs "Ultra Specs"
1. Re: Watch Dogs Apr 14, 2014, 09:24 Burrito of Peace

I don't have a Titan but I do have a 4770K with a 780 GTX 3GB. Hopefully that'll be enough.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 12, 2014, 19:44 Burrito of Peace

I use DynDNS as my DNS provider because Time Warner are such cockbags about getting a static IP. Sure, they'll give you one if you want to pay four times the price you are currently paying for 1/5 the speed. I remember a day when that wasn't so, and all I did was pay an additional 10/month surcharge for the static.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2014, 20:54.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
1. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 4, 2014, 19:28 Burrito of Peace

Nice! I really liked the look of it when Blue featured a while back. Hopefully it'll come to Steam.  

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
9. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 13:16 Burrito of Peace

Jerykk wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:46:
Not sure why people were so offended by this particular case...

Thief 4 and the Mustang II have a lot in common. Both were created by teams who clearly had no clue as to what made their original predecessors great. They cheaply traded on a name without any regard for the heritage and achievements of those predecessors. So much about them was changed that they are no longer recognizable as lineal descendents outside of the name.

At the end of the day, a lot of good could be said about the Mustang II as well. It was light, economical and handled well. However, it wasn't a Mustang. It was a rebodied Pinto. In the same vein Thief 4 is a renamed variant on "Generic somewhat stealth based game that could have carried any title". There was nothing about it that screamed "THIEF!" I don't recall hearing about bear pits, I never got the same "HOLY FUCK!" vibe that I did in Shalebridge Cradle and the original Garrett was likeable in his own way. He felt part of a living world of lore. The protagonist in Thief 4 may have been called "Garrett" but it was like dealing with a 14 year old goth. "I am Garrett. I am the shadows, the dark and deadly, the velvet night." REALLY???? Cut me some fucking slack. Could we have descended any further into a two dimensional, cardboard cutout cheesefest?

It seems to me that Eidos Montreal/Square Enix felt that losing the atmosphere, the character and the flavor of the Thief universe, which were necessary parts of the originals due to very early 3D engines, was acceptable as long as there was enough shiny, shallow shit thrown on screen to keep the console generation happy. Unfortunately, they also seem to forget that the console generation wasn't around for the original Thief franchise and the people who would look forward to this the most were now an older demographic, mostly in their mid 30s to mid 40s, who well remembered some of their favorite games from their early days.

They seem to have forgotten that what makes a game great is the ease with which it triggers the viewer's willing suspension of disbelief. The tools used in Thief 1 and 2 were very powerful at doing so and in so doing set up a world that a lot of people were very clearly willing to set their teeth in to. That's what people expected. That isn't what they were given.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Early Access
9. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Mar 27, 2014, 22:14 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 20:33:
Which didn't have an Early Access program at all and wasn't made by the same company. So... Wtf

...so you're not smart enough to follow the logic that buying a space based RTS sight unseen from a developer that hasn't done a real space based 4X game in 8 years yet seems to be promising the moon is a bad idea?

And you don't see how that correlates to pre-order customer from SotS II, which also promised the moon, and how those same players were fucked royally for two years solid?

Oh, yeah, "Early Access"...except in every shitty "Early Access" titles, there are always the mouthpieces and white knights that plead "But it'll get better" and it so rarely does.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Early Access
1. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Mar 27, 2014, 19:59 Burrito of Peace

At a $99 price point. No thanks, I remember SOTS II.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Demo
16. Re: Shadow Warrior Demo Mar 27, 2014, 16:02 Burrito of Peace

Atomic wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 14:37:
Can you change the FOV? I get motion sickness from games from time to time,and usually changing FOV will fix it. Unfortunately, not all games let you adjust it (or not easily).

You can, and I tried, but I think it has more to do with how wrong the motion feels to me.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Demo
12. Re: Shadow Warrior Demo Mar 27, 2014, 14:09 Burrito of Peace

I just tried the demo and it gave me motion sickness. Something about the movement isn't quite right to me.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer Mar 24, 2014, 15:59 Burrito of Peace

J wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 15:57:
Back in 1604 they didn't have colour...

I guess "The Scarlett Letter" was more of a euphemism then.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer
13. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer Mar 21, 2014, 08:19 Burrito of Peace

Ray Ban wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 03:43:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

Good find! As a history nerd, I saw the train car and thought "Sweet, they're using a lot of concepts from future tech of that era."

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
2. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 15:36 Burrito of Peace

What's the over/under on this going F2P and then shuttering entirely? 12 months? 18?  

News Comments > WildStar in June
7. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 12:17 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 12:06:
So how many millions did the flush down the tubes on this one?

Far more than Dungeon Runners and Auto Assault combined but not nearly the truckloads of money that were wasted on Tabula Rasa. This game has been developed over five, almost six, years now and the concept has changed significantly twice. Sound familiar? Maybe like Tabula Rasa?

18 months and it'll be crashing and burning after choking on its own bile and being F2P at the 12 month mark.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
28. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:21 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:

What have they done lately that's been successful?

Besides SQL Server, Windows 2012 R2, Microsoft Enterprise Services, product support services, Visual Studio, System Center products, Forefront security products, Biz Talk Server, MSDN, and other enterprise leveled products and services? The ones that generated billions in revenue and where MS is concentrating most of its development and sales? MS dabbles in the home market, with their serious effort really being the Xbox division but make no mistake enterprise is where everyone that is a multitier company makes their money these days. Do you think it's coincidence that Windows 7 and Server 2008 were similar? Or Server 2012 and Windows 8? Hell, in Windows 7 and 8, you can turn them in to basically home servers as they include IIS, file transfer services and some basic user management services. All directly lineal from their server roots.

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:
And most corps aren't using DX.

Wrong. Most corporate users use DirectX every day. DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput and .NET support come to mind quickly. Even if a corporate user never fires up so much as a Facebook game, those are in use by Windows on their IT provided boxes every day.

On the home front, I couldn't care less what Microsoft does anymore since it's all a trickle down effect from their enterprise efforts. The big money right now is in virtualization and a lot of money has gone in to Hyper-V to combat EXSi and vSphere. So much development has gone in to virtualization that even the Xbox One itself has a bare metal hypervisor built in to it to manage the two overlaying OSes it runs. Regardless of your personal opinion of the Xbox One, from a technical perspective...it's a Hell of a machine and a hint toward the future that MS sees for the office and for the home.

We need to stop thinking of the Microsoft of the 90s. It's dead. They don't make a plethora of hardware products any longer, they don't maintain wildly disparate and separate code bases between server and client OSes and since making significant inroads with Exchange, Active Directory, Windows and SQL Server, they're not as invested in the consumer desktop OS market. There's just not enough money in the retail consumer space to warrant their former attention. Sure, Windows 8 was a bad launch. So was Vista...and then we got Windows 7. They'll release Windows 9...sometime and it'll probably be just as awesome as Windows 7 was and everyone will once again say how awesome the Windows desktop is. Windows 9 will probably be based around Server 2012 R2, which is extremely awesome as far as a Windows server OS goes being both very stable and quite fast, and contain the minor UI tweaks that people want. It'll sell like contraband ice cream at a fat camp.

THAT'S MS today. That is MS of the future. They're not going to go back and cater to grandma and you because, quite simply, you and grandma don't drop millions of dollars per order. Think of them as becoming Red Hat of the Windows world.

News Comments > Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition
5. Re: Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition Mar 5, 2014, 19:15 Burrito of Peace

I want the 12" LED lit CE. That would be cool.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 5, 2014, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:17:
...if you put something in front of me that leaves me hungry when I am supposed to pay then wtf was the point of that?

"Because art!" Or something equally null is the typical response. Personally, I eat because my body needs fuel. If I want to watch some otherwise unemployable bum make meaningless streaks and swirls, I'll go to an abstract art exhibit.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 5, 2014, 10:06 Burrito of Peace

Because chefs make food their bitch?  

1689 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo