Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1563 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
15. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 22:13 Burrito of Peace

Enahs wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 20:46:
And again, Win 8 added a lot of great things.

"A lot" is a very generous gift to Microsoft. They added some minor system level improvements that could have been packaged in a service pack. However, any improvements perceived as positive by the public were immediately destroyed by the Metro/Modern/Massacre interface that they crammed on top of it.

They even decided that particular UX/UI abomination needed to taint their Server OS releases. About the only thing I like about Metro/Modern/Massacre on Server 2012 (which I use as a workstation OS, hence the GUI...otherwise Server Core for life) is that has about 10% of those god awful tiles than a standard Win 8 desktop. Even on the desktop environment itself, the window layouts and coloring look like something out of Gnome 2. They're ugly, look cheap and feel dated.

I can understand why a lot of users complain about it. Microsoft decided to take 30 years of user training and knowledge and dump it in to the grass as abruptly and brutally as possible so they could focus on trying to create a multiplatform, universal interface. Unfortunately, they couldn't even get that right and there seems to be no effort on their part to correct that misstep.

Where Linux is starting to gain traction is in distributions like Linux Mint. It looks very similar to "old" Windows that transitioning people to it is incredibly easy. I've got a dozen converts who took a day to get used to it and are off to the races with it. 4 of them have installed Steam and are enjoying the purchases they made on the Windows side on Mint without any further additional purchases.

Hell, I even got my Linux hating father to try Mint...and he's now spreading the word on his own.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2013, 10:05 Burrito of Peace

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 10:02:
Skyrim.

It's almost two years old, Bats. She had a good run and still is a Hell of a game but...new things come out and people move on. You'll always have Sovengarde.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Arma III
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 10:12 Burrito of Peace

Is Arma II fixed yet?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2013, 19:24 Burrito of Peace

Flo wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 17:27:
That review of Gone Home makes me want to vomit. But what do you expect from a site called christ centered gamer.

Eh, I think it's fine. Regardless of the reviewer's belief system, or the name of the site, they rightly point out that Gone Home's storyline is incredibly cliche and seemingly done solely for the purpose of throwing it out to the viewer/player without so much as a byline of context about Sam or Lonny. Honestly, why should you care about them? They're cardboard cutouts.

Regardless of one's philosophical or religious outlook, shitty storytelling is shitty storytelling. Try to be less bigoted next time and focus on the content before you speak your reactionary idiocy.

Oh, yeah, just in case it comes up...I'm an atheist.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements
10. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements Sep 9, 2013, 21:46 Burrito of Peace

Fantaz wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 21:39:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 21:18:
Redmask wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 20:49:
Ok now I'm seeing the problem with these embedded tweets.

Yeah, I have to agree.

my eyes!!!

Blue, please, the embeds are horrible! Dizzy Rolleyes2 Newklear

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
15. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:21:
WTF is up with the tweet spooge? This image was impossible to convey in encapsulating text or just a straight up link?

It seemed like using the Twitter embed was the easiest way to provide the context for this. I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

Like Verno said, Blue, it is jarring compared to the color scheme and layout of the site. For me, I come to BN for the fact that the news about gaming is easy to find, read and comment on without having to dig through pages of useless and distracting images where everything is either an embed of a video, animated GIF, screencap of some social media site or something else as asinine(coughKotakucough).

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
3. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 10:21 Burrito of Peace

WTF is up with the tweet spooge? This image was impossible to convey in encapsulating text or just a straight up link?  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2013, 12:31 Burrito of Peace

Like I'm going to learn about gaming from a teacher at Hogwarts.  

News Comments > BattleForge Closing After Next Month
2. Re: BattleForge Closing After Next Month Sep 7, 2013, 11:50 Burrito of Peace

Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:24:
It's killing this industry and its consumers.

Perhaps that is a good thing. When this kind of ridiculousness dies, and puts the people out of work who instigated and propagated it, a new version will arise out of the ashes and taking gaming in a different direction.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access
2. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access Sep 6, 2013, 23:44 Burrito of Peace

Wasn't the original an incredibly buggy mess with really, really poor voice work by some Russian team?  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 2, 2013, 19:09 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 06:29:
Likely people running small scale ISP's or hosting services from their FIOS line, which I gotta admit is a kinda dickish move.

Why? While I do not have FIOS, my contract specifically states "unlimited usage". Don't offer it if you are unable or unwilling to provide it. Doesn't seem like a dickish move to me to legitimately use a service you are paying for.

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 1, 2013, 23:07 Burrito of Peace

Nope, System Center tells no lies. Also, I never said my data transfer was for singular home user.

It's ~50TB for August. I have a 200TB private cloud that I run out of the house (but on a fiber connection) and the users that have access are digital packrats. Most people will be once they're free of the limitations of local, on-system disk access. My heaviest user generally shuffles about 12TB/month and my lightest user does about 2TB/month. Hell, most people won't even de-dupe their own data because they want backups of backups of backups of files...even if what they're uploading to has a multipath backup solution in place. That 4GB 1080p video file you shot of you fucking your girlfriend? That becomes 20GB, by itself, once you copy all the directories you forgot you hid copies in.

Also, 50TB/month is really not that hard of a number to hit if you're doing full and incremental replication over to colocated backups, have multiple users acquiring digital media and also running several server VM instances of popular games and applications. We're basically getting to the point that it is financially sensible to return to the old server/thin client model with real-time sharing even for a group of "home" users who are willing to share the cost equally.

The whole user to ISP, single point of connection, model is so incredibly dated and frought with problems that users, especially in the US, have been conditioned to just accept. There are certainly better ways to access and use data streams and those FIOS users have probably figured that out and started implementing it.

There's a reason cable providers are shitting their pants about the rollout of fiber to the home. It's changing the very fabric of data transmission the world over.

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 1, 2013, 21:15 Burrito of Peace

You guys must exist in a very data sparse environment. My monthly traffic is ~50TB a month.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 22, 2013, 18:56 Burrito of Peace

LYNX FOREVER!  

News Comments > Timelines: Assault on America in Next Month; New Trailer
1. Re: Timelines: Assault on America in Next Month; New Trailer Aug 22, 2013, 07:46 Burrito of Peace

I would have been much more interested had the player been able to play from the Japanese or German perspective.  

News Comments > Redshirt Preorders
5. Re: Redshirt Preorders Aug 21, 2013, 08:39 Burrito of Peace

A game about Faceboo...err...Spacebook. ...right.

This has to be the nadir of game concepts. Pass.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Aug 20, 2013, 23:12 Burrito of Peace

Having recently played DA:O, DA:O:A and DA2, I have to say that...I liked DA2's story a whole lot more. DA:O, while epic in scale, was actually really generic for me. It felt like a knockoff of the old Dragonlance books I read when I was a kid. Takhisis = Archdemon and Draconians = Darkspawn.

DA2, by being more tightly focused on the Hawke family and a smaller cast of characters, allowed them to have more in-depth lore and realism. The constant banter between Isabella and Varric alone was deeper than a lot of the "conversations" I had with characters in the first one.

I'm looking forward to Inquisition and I am glad to see DA evolving.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Mozilla Aug 19, 2013, 20:47 Burrito of Peace

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 17:09:
So... You want a browser that grinds your system to a halt by spending all its time and power on encrypting and decrypting everything and anything?

What bullshit is this? Even at 512/4096 encryption, only half of a core is busy doing encryption and decryption. Maybe upgrading from a single core Celeron or Pentium D is something you should consider.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
1. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 20:40 Burrito of Peace

Blue, you have a typo. "On the heals of all this" should be "On the heels of all this".  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2013, 10:24 Burrito of Peace

Echo outdoor power tools FTW, Blue.

My little SRM-210 trimmer has been flawless and maintenance free for close to ten years now. I can get two acres done in about an hour and a half with those three metal blade heads.

1563 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo