Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1457 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer Mar 24, 2014, 15:59 Burrito of Peace

J wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 15:57:
Back in 1604 they didn't have colour...

I guess "The Scarlett Letter" was more of a euphemism then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer
13. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer Mar 21, 2014, 08:19 Burrito of Peace

Ray Ban wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 03:43:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

Good find! As a history nerd, I saw the train car and thought "Sweet, they're using a lot of concepts from future tech of that era."

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
2. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 15:36 Burrito of Peace

What's the over/under on this going F2P and then shuttering entirely? 12 months? 18?  

News Comments > WildStar in June
7. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 12:17 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 12:06:
So how many millions did the flush down the tubes on this one?

Far more than Dungeon Runners and Auto Assault combined but not nearly the truckloads of money that were wasted on Tabula Rasa. This game has been developed over five, almost six, years now and the concept has changed significantly twice. Sound familiar? Maybe like Tabula Rasa?

18 months and it'll be crashing and burning after choking on its own bile and being F2P at the 12 month mark.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
28. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:21 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:

What have they done lately that's been successful?

Besides SQL Server, Windows 2012 R2, Microsoft Enterprise Services, product support services, Visual Studio, System Center products, Forefront security products, Biz Talk Server, MSDN, and other enterprise leveled products and services? The ones that generated billions in revenue and where MS is concentrating most of its development and sales? MS dabbles in the home market, with their serious effort really being the Xbox division but make no mistake enterprise is where everyone that is a multitier company makes their money these days. Do you think it's coincidence that Windows 7 and Server 2008 were similar? Or Server 2012 and Windows 8? Hell, in Windows 7 and 8, you can turn them in to basically home servers as they include IIS, file transfer services and some basic user management services. All directly lineal from their server roots.

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:
And most corps aren't using DX.

Wrong. Most corporate users use DirectX every day. DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput and .NET support come to mind quickly. Even if a corporate user never fires up so much as a Facebook game, those are in use by Windows on their IT provided boxes every day.

On the home front, I couldn't care less what Microsoft does anymore since it's all a trickle down effect from their enterprise efforts. The big money right now is in virtualization and a lot of money has gone in to Hyper-V to combat EXSi and vSphere. So much development has gone in to virtualization that even the Xbox One itself has a bare metal hypervisor built in to it to manage the two overlaying OSes it runs. Regardless of your personal opinion of the Xbox One, from a technical perspective...it's a Hell of a machine and a hint toward the future that MS sees for the office and for the home.

We need to stop thinking of the Microsoft of the 90s. It's dead. They don't make a plethora of hardware products any longer, they don't maintain wildly disparate and separate code bases between server and client OSes and since making significant inroads with Exchange, Active Directory, Windows and SQL Server, they're not as invested in the consumer desktop OS market. There's just not enough money in the retail consumer space to warrant their former attention. Sure, Windows 8 was a bad launch. So was Vista...and then we got Windows 7. They'll release Windows 9...sometime and it'll probably be just as awesome as Windows 7 was and everyone will once again say how awesome the Windows desktop is. Windows 9 will probably be based around Server 2012 R2, which is extremely awesome as far as a Windows server OS goes being both very stable and quite fast, and contain the minor UI tweaks that people want. It'll sell like contraband ice cream at a fat camp.

THAT'S MS today. That is MS of the future. They're not going to go back and cater to grandma and you because, quite simply, you and grandma don't drop millions of dollars per order. Think of them as becoming Red Hat of the Windows world.

News Comments > Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition
5. Re: Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition Mar 5, 2014, 19:15 Burrito of Peace

I want the 12" LED lit CE. That would be cool.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 5, 2014, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:17:
...if you put something in front of me that leaves me hungry when I am supposed to pay then wtf was the point of that?

"Because art!" Or something equally null is the typical response. Personally, I eat because my body needs fuel. If I want to watch some otherwise unemployable bum make meaningless streaks and swirls, I'll go to an abstract art exhibit.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 5, 2014, 10:06 Burrito of Peace

Because chefs make food their bitch?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 23:04 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:27:
Maybe we don't NEED 1 gbps...

Speak for yourself. I can saturate a 10gbps connection running seedboxes alone. Seedboxes for legal, legitimate reasons. If we're going to put in all new infrastructure anyway, why not futureproof it as much as possible now with the fastest speeds we can get?

Think of it this way, have you ever said to yourself "Well, I don't NEED anything faster than a Pentium III"?

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 19:30 Burrito of Peace

Municipal broadband is the way to go. Most MUDs already have guys who know how to run and admin fiber.  

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics
4. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics Feb 27, 2014, 23:32 Burrito of Peace

saluk wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 20:57:
Wow. A KS that delivers MORE than was promised? A game the size of the Pandora Directive is quite a meaty adventure game indeed. Way to show those OTHER adventure games how it's done

And no shitty 8 bit graphics or stupid platforms, either! Allthumbsup Pleased

News Comments > Matador Announced
1. Re: Matador Announced Feb 2, 2014, 10:42 Burrito of Peace

This reminds me of an old game called Terrorpods, right down to the music in the trailer.  

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
28. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 13:28 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:02:
Never happen while Actiblizz owns it. Still, a man can dream, can't he?

He can...and does.

I bought Interstate '76 on GOG and built a Linux box for it solely because Play on Linux's frontend for Wine runs it so much better than the Windows version...and in native OpenGL support, too.

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
11. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:19 Burrito of Peace

I want to see this tech in a revival of the Interstate '76 series.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 25, 2014, 16:44 Burrito of Peace

I'm rooting for the bear cavalry.  

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 24, 2014, 06:41 Burrito of Peace

harlock wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 00:02:
no, pussy is a gift from god

Well, if the story of Genesis had even the slightest whiff of truth to it, that would be literally true.

However, it also means that we can blame PMS and normally sweet women turning in to raving lunatic bitches every 28 days on the Christian deity too so...six of one, half dozen of another.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free Weekend
16. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 08:00 Burrito of Peace

yuastnav wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 02:46:
Meh, didn't like Saints Row IV. The superpowers got boring after about 10 hours and the game is way longer than that, although I rage quit after the game crashed halfway through the last mission. Didn't feel like doing it again.

And because you had superpowers there was almost no point in driving/flying the vehicles, which was a shame.

Oh well, the second Saints Row is still the best. Good mix of ridiculouseness and "modern drama".

Nailed it right on the head. SR2 is still the best game out of the series.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Jan 15, 2014, 08:17 Burrito of Peace

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 23:14:
How these yahoos got the Firefly IP is beyond me? Talk about the worst thing you can imagine and take it down about 5 points :((

Nope, a Firefly MMO (which the setting is perfect for even though I loathe MMOs) is STILL a better idea than a Harry Knowles, Justin Bieber and Octomom three way.

Scrub that visual out of your mind's eye.

News Comments > Midwinter Remake Plans
2. Re: Midwinter Remake Plans Jan 11, 2014, 13:18 Burrito of Peace

I remember playing this on both of my Atari STs. My memory is telling me that younger me thought it was awesome.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Deadly 30
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Deadly 30 Jan 9, 2014, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 21:53:
A lot of people are drawing those kinds of conclusions and getting upset that they'd have to pay money for what they used to play for free.

I don't see people getting upset, but I do see people saying "Meh, played the core mechanics...the rest is paid for window dressing" and I think that's valid.

I played Trials, for example, a long time ago when it was a Flash game on the Finnish site, DNA Internet. I have not bought any of the Trials games that have come out as PC or console titles because I have played the core game in its fullest, that being getting a dirtbike and rider with dodgy physics over objects and ridiculously contrived obstacles. Having played two of the titles at a friend's house, I can see that the core game is essentially unchanged from my Flash game playing days.

Now that I've had that experience for free, why would I want to go back and pay for the same core experience all over again?

I don't and apparently a lot of other people don't want to either, hence the comments.

1457 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo