Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1643 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grimrock 2 Compatibility Test
7. Re: Grimrock 2 Compatibility Test Oct 9, 2014, 13:32 Burrito of Peace

Darks wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:15:
One other thing I really got tired of seeing to was killing monsters and them blowing up into sparks.

That's a straight up nod and throwback to Dungeon Master, the game that got me in to enjoying RPGs/dungeon crawls when I was but a wee lad. I tremendously enjoyed the nod to it as well as several of the puzzles being directly from the same game.

Almost the entirety of the puzzles were lifted straight from Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder II. Since I had played through each of them a dozen or more times, each, I didn't find the puzzles overly difficult.

What I do wish they'd do is invest some time in to the story. It comes off as a piece ripped straight out of the amateur section of SF&F Digest.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Rogue Announced
7. Re: Space Rogue Announced Oct 7, 2014, 21:25 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 20:29:
Isn't Space Rogue a game by Paul Neurath and Origin back before Wing Commander?

Remember playing it on my C64.

MobyGames says that you are correct. Also, I had forgotten about that game and, looking at it, you can really see how much it influenced Privateer.

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 21:16 Burrito of Peace

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:31:
...but an empathetic disconnect from the world at large?

While making no excuses for the comparison, and speaking generally, you cannot have empathy for a situation for which you have zero frame of reference, not even tangentially.

For example, you mention slavery. I have never experienced slavery outside of a historical, academic context. I can't even begin to imagine what living in such a condition would be like. Perhaps that is a limitation of my imagination. Nevertheless, I cannot have empathy for someone who IS a slave as I have no reference.

In a larger context, if people want to bitch and complain that "There are no games for/accurately represent/feature as a main protagonist the disabled, women, or post-human transgenus gender fluid dog beings" then the solution is already out there; make your own game. Or pay for games like that which are created by others. Or get together with like-minded people and crowdfund a game.

However, to sit there and cry like a spoiled child because a company that solely exists to make money puts out a game designed to sell the most units and then attempt to demonize the demographic that will buy the most units is, well, childish and naive. Certainly it's insulting to that demographic and it also shows a lack of grasp on the market in the real world.

I watched the video and all of the people within it had salient, reasonable views on the whole situation. Views that Alexander and her ilk don't seem to grasp. Alexander, and the group that is vociferously cheering her on, remind me of college sophomores who've taken a philosophy class. They present their opinion as the facts and fairly viciously attack anyone who doesn't share that opinion. They can't engage the opposite side because, quite frankly, they're not at all secure in the veracity of what they're trying to preach as the "truth" because there are many glaring rebuttals to it right out in public.

They have no way to gain traction with someone like me, a guy in his late 30s who games when he has the chance, has a full time job, has a significant other/spouse, certainly doesn't live in his mother's basement, certainly doesn't hate women, and has a wide variety of interests other than gaming. Instead, I get lumped in with a caricature, that, if it even exists, is so small a percentage point of the total population of "gamers" (whatever that may encompass at this point and I don't believe anyone has a rock solid definition that covers everyone in the demographic) that it becomes a case of much ado about nothing.

I'm told that I am guilty by association because I'm not an "activist" who preaches their party line. Well, see, I'm a grown up and I don't follow ideology. I have more than enough experience and opportunity to make up my own mind on any given topic that may interest me. Further, I reserve the right to be fully disinterested in something that interests someone else. That doesn't make me "part of the problem". If that were true, 5.8 billion people are "part of the problem" of world hunger. Rolleyes

After having spent some time reading about this, it seems to me that this "issue" boils down to this:

Several websites posted inflammatory articles that demonized a large majority of their reader base. That reader base served up some righteous backlash against it. These websites, who know that they need this same demographic to generate ad money, are letting the writers of the articles hang in the breeze to try and defend their poorly thought out screeds. Since those screeds are indefensible, we're seeing diversionary tactics used to try and smokescreen the writers from culpability in pissing off that demographic.

This is all about market force at work. Trying to cloud the issue with social "issues", "ethical" complaints, et al ad nauseum, doesn't hide the fact that these websites decided to, en masse, publish a series of opinion pieces that alienated and angered their audience. I don't believe for a second that it was coincidental. That kind of blitzkrieg "journalism" doesn't simply happen. It's planned and orchestrated.

Not liking your audience is really easy to overcome;

Find another job that panders to your opinion.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 15:12 Burrito of Peace

I'm burned out on this "issue". I just don't care anymore. None of it applies to me in the slightest and, quite frankly, I'm tired of this bullshit being spewed on the pages of this site as well as others that I regularly read for actual news about gaming, not faux drama.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 16:46 Burrito of Peace

Kajetan wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:09:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:46:
Because that UI is ancient, being very close to 19 years old now, and it is no longer suited to the way modern computing works.
This is the stupidest thing i've ever read.

Then perhaps you should read the whole thing in context and not just pick and choose what you want so you can stomp your feet and complain.

Further, at what point did I say that people shouldn't have the option to choose? I think clinging to something, anything really, due to the sole reason that you're familiar with it is rather pathetic. But that's my opinion and I have never stated you had to agree with that opinion, now did I?

Also, your rather sad attempt at Godwinning a thread aside, not everything new is good. Again, that was not something I said nor anything that I intimated. However, there are several benefits TO being willing to change, to be adaptable and to being open to new ideas. I mean, sure, you could still work on a PC with 16MB of memory and a 386DX2. That's OLD so, in your logic, that automatically means it's worth preserving and using until Hell freezes over. Octocore processors, multigigabytes (or even multiterabytes), SSDs and all that junk...that's for losers! Why, you don't even have to set DIP switches on those new fangled contraptions! Back in my day, when we wore onions on our belt because that was the style at the time, we had to figure out our OWN IRQs! And we LIKED it that way!

(Insert picture here of old man yelling at a cloud)

Kajetan wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:09:
But i respect someone who wants NOT to use the Modern UI, who wants to remove every tile MS put into this OS.

You mean exactly like what I said I did earlier in the thread? Just like that?

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:36:
It costs a lot of money to retrain employees on new user interfaces and many people don't seek this stuff out as a hobby in their spare time. A user interface can be very efficient regardless of age.

That hasn't been my recent experience at all. In fact, my experience has been the exact opposite of that. The TCoS was actually LESS for the new machines that were deployed with 8.1 versus the established machines running 7. For example, earlier in the year, we helped a university roll out a little more than 1500 new installs. Those 1500 machines were planned to support several hundred adjunct faculty and close to 5000 students per day. The data provided by the university help desk showed that the calls that were "How do I questions" were less than 1/3 of the total volume of calls of the same type of calls for when the Windows 7 machines were deployed. There are a couple of factors to this; almost all students, and most faculty, with a laptop have a new or newer laptop and, if it's not a Mac, it almost universally ships with Win8 on it. It's an interface they're already familiar with, 8.1 boots/logs straight to the desktop and everything the user need to use is right there, including logoff.

In my older experience, it has been my observation that when companies deploy an upgrade, they often do not design for or plan an easy way to migrate the existing userbase. They throw together some 1 hour classes with powerpoint slides, maybe a little hands on time, and then it's roll out time! THAT kills productivity and that's a piss poor way of migrating your users.

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 15:09:
Not gainsaying your argument, but what exactly about Windows 7's UI is unsuited to the way modern computing works? What even constitutes "modern computing" by your definition? Touch screens? I don't have a touch screen, so that 'feature' is pointless to me.

Multiple monitors? They work fine in Win7, unless you want to have the task bar appear on both screens (which you can easily do with third party tools.)

I'm really just curious what doesn't work according to you.

Touchscreens are not particularly efficient in a desktop 8-5 type environment. However, let's say that I want to have multiple desktops but IT has a tight budget and they gave me one lousy 23" flat panel. Now, I want multiple desktops because I need to have more than two windows open and when those multiple windows are open, I need them to be readable. It may come as a shock to some people, but the average corporate user isn't the secretary with one browser window open and an Office document open. The average corporate user has 6-8 apps or windows open at any given time that they are actively using throughout the day.

Please show me in Windows 7 where, without resorting to third party tools (which may not even be allowed by a corporate IT department because this isn't just about home use), I can have multiple desktops on a single screen? Please show me where on these multiple desktops on Windows 7 that I can easily transfer them to one of my other desktops on the same machine with just one click. Further, I would like it if you showed me on Windows 7 where I can actively and dynamically have windows resize to quarter, six or eight panel layout so I can observe, say, several status monitors simultaneously?

By the way, the features that I just mentioned above? Those have been in Linux for a decade. Literally a decade.

Oh, while we're at it, can someone show me on Windows 7 where I can manage Hyper-V VMs without resorting to RSAT?

While I had used Windows 7 for a long time, when necessary, those were never features I uncovered. Further, I was never able to uncover where the far better memory management, network stack performance and boot times that are inherent in the Windows 8, and above, kernel were in the Windows 7 kernel. Maybe someone can show me those, too?

While I grant that I specifically said that clinging to an ancient UI was ridiculously stupid, and I won't budge from that stance, there are many, many reasons why clinging to Windows 7 as technology marches forward is blindingly stupid.

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 15:09:
I'm not sure why that's funny to you, as it is actually a simple truth. Engines WERE easier to work on back in the days when they still came with carburators. While that may not make them better inasmuch, for people who were used to doing a lot of their own car maintenance etc, it's not that hard to see that current engines, which practically require an MS in computer science, are deemed "worse" by their standards. (even if technologically current engines are many times better.)

Actually, no, they're far more difficult to work on. As someone who does his own car maintenance and enjoys building rods, muscle cars and even some tuners with his friends, I can't imagine going back to the dark ages of the 60s and its engine technology.

Here's a scenario for you:

Old Bessie and my truck have the exact same problem, there's a misfire. Farmer Bill lifts the hood to Old Bessie and starts checking the distributor, the points, the cables and then has to go get tools to take out the spark plugs. On the other hand, I open the driver side door of my F150, take off the cover to the diagnostic port, plug in my laptop and run the diagnostic tool that tells me in less than 30 seconds that the coil on cylinder 6 is bad.

Which of those two was the easier scenario? EVERY PCM that had ODBII or greater that I have ever dealt with can tell me a more precise location of a problem, and usually what the actual problem is, in far more detail than Farmer Bill and his alleged "know how" while he spends half of a Saturday playing shade tree mechanic.

Sorry, Creston, but modern technology has made bumper to bumper diagnostics easier than ever while durability and longevity due to that technology has gone through the roof. It used to be in the "good old days" that you had to rebuild an engine at 100,000 miles like clockwork. Today, I can get more than a quarter million miles out of an engine with nothing more than scheduled maintenance and it's still going strong.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 13:46 Burrito of Peace

Kajetan wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:29:
What is funny about people wanting a certain UI?

For me, there are two reasons that I find it funny (one funny as in weird and the other funny as in humorous):

Because that UI is ancient, being very close to 19 years old now, and it is no longer suited to the way modern computing works. Yet there are people who still insist that a UI that was designed for a single screen running at 800x600 is still the greatest thing ever. To me, it's funny in the same way that old guys bitch and carp about how much "better" it was when engines still had carburetors and how "easier" they were to work on.

Yet these will inevitably also be the same people who bitch, whine, cry, and throw a tantrum when that creaky old OS they're clinging so desperately to, simply for the sake of a certain UI, stops being supported by software and hardware vendors. We've seen it once before with XP. People who whined and cried about how much more "awesome" XP was than 7 threw a fit when developers of both commercial and entertainment software stopped supporting that platform.

Now, the amusement part comes in when some of those very same people will buy Windows 10 expecting an interface similar to Windows 7 out of the box. By the time Windows 10 hits retail shelves, Windows 7 will be a decade old. A DECADE. Yet they'll happily delude themselves in to believing that nothing has, or should, change.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 12:02 Burrito of Peace

While it hasn't yet been confirmed by Microsoft US, the Microsoft Indonesia president said that 10 will be a free upgrade for current Windows 8 users.

If that is true, this "exclusivity" will be no big deal for people that are already using the most recent version of Windows. For those that aren't, well, they'll have a choice to make based upon what's right for them.

I'm an 8.1 Pro user and I cannot fathom ever wanting to go back to Windows 7. For me, the performance tweaks and systemic improvements in 8 more than makeup for the admittedly meh Metro interface. Solved that by uninstalling all Metro apps and either deleting, uninstalling or disabling live tiles. Also have the start page setup to list all apps by icons instead of that retarded tile layout.

I've also been playing with the Windows 10 Tech Preview. People who are holding their breath for the return of the start "menu" are going to shit a brick. It will be funny to watch them go in to apoplectic rage, sputter and smash their hands on the keyboard.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 LE Trailer
2. Re: Far Cry 4 LE Trailer Oct 3, 2014, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

I'm guessing FC4 is due to be released soon or the game sucks and Ubi is trying to generate hype to bolster sales. Otherwise, a trailer, sometimes two, release a day is going to burn people out very quickly.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 10:45 Burrito of Peace

Holy Shit, one of the very few times I'm actually proud of Reddit.

Also, that woman's tweets...Jesus fucking Christ.

Butthurt, self-entitlement and pseudointellectual smugness rolled up in to one tiny, fragile ego.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2014, 11:12 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 10:02:
It was like playing a spreadsheet.

Then he'd be a perfect fit at CCP, working on Eve Online.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 09:20 Burrito of Peace

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:40:
As an aside, I wish people would recognize that having a HS diploma is the same has having no diploma...

This isn't necessarily true. I do not have a college or university degree. I tried to attend college and discovered that, in the two different major universities I attended, the CS and IS programs were sometimes as much as 5 years behind state of the art. Why waste my money to come out knowing less than when I went in? A university "education" isn't necessarily a hallmark of someone who is well educated.

What I did, instead, was obtain the highest certifications in my chosen field which made me far more employable than the kids coming out of colleges with degrees but no certifications and no experience. This allowed me to get my foot in the door as suddenly I became highly sought after and gain crucial experience I needed. Experience that would later help me start my own company.

I agree with Beamer that companies now have zero interest in OJT, which he rightly pointed out was short sighted. I would go so far as to say it is suicidal. It's literally starving companies of their best talent because it's killing both positive corporate culture and the esprit de corps needed for teams to come up with truly innovative ideas and products. Someone who has no hand in the creation of an item or idea has no interest in devoting time, energy and effort in to seeing it grow and/or improving it.

It's been my experience that H1-B visa aliens are, in the middle and long term, more trouble than they are worth. In my field, they're usually Indians or Chinese who are very good at copying pre-established routines but little else. They are brutally horrible at creating anything new and, should something break unexpectedly, they've never been taught critical thinking skills or even troubleshooting by elimination. They are useless and become a hindrance instead of a help.

One of the downsides in US corporate culture is agism. I hear constantly from people outside my company that "Those old guys you like are expensive!" Yet those old guys are astoundingly good at what they do and, for their price, are more than the equal of the three 20something college grads we might hire at bottom of the barrel pricing (since they're just happy to get a job) for the same TCP outlay. The old guys are also generally more up to date with what's current, too, than their younger counterparts. They know what works in reality instead of falling back on what should happen, as defined by the book. They, my old dogs, were a good investment to start germinating the core of my company around.

One of the best things we can do is bring back the concept of apprenticeship. One of the tings we do in my company is take someone in their late teens or early twenties who has an interest and passion for the field we're in. I sit them down and have my old dogs mentor these young pups and then listen to these young pups when they say "Hey, Burrito, I have this idea..." Sometimes, it's an idealistic approach to something that isn't particularly applicable but other times they've come up with some really innovative ideas that have helped improve efficiency, reduce costs and made our team as a whole more knowledgeable and flexible.

Another thing we need to bring back is invested education. It makes perfect sense to me to sponsor someone who wants to get their CCNA, RHCE or RHCA. Not only do I get an employee who shows me that they have the drive and dedication to get some of the hardest certifications on the planet to achieve, but they get the ability to earn more and we get the ability to charge more for their services. It's a win-win all the way around.

Unfortunately, corporate America has taken on the pirate raider mentality when it comes to how they choose to operate. It's always about today, maybe tomorrow and no thought is ever given to next week or next year.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Sep 27, 2014, 19:38 Burrito of Peace

My Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, meanwhile, just smiles and keeps on working. Tie that in with my G-13 from Logitech and there is no HOTAS system on the planet that allows me the same flexibility and functionality in any flight based game.  

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
4. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 26, 2014, 21:41 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 21:16:
Looks pretty good. Anyone playing it?

Yes and enjoying it immensely. Very easy to mod, too.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 16:05 Burrito of Peace

descender wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 12:09:
I've been hemming over buying the new hard drives I need as these are all full... been waiting for the next "leap" in storage space. 3-4TB drives don't really interest me, but a 10 or 20tb drive certainly would. Anyone have any inkling of when that may be a reality? I've been waiting for what seems like years at this point.

That reality is today.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 16:04 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:45:
It's all relative. Everyone has a HD horror story, each from a different brand...

I would agree with that with one exception, HGST drives. Everyone I've owned from way back in the 160 days are still working in one system or another. I know that mechanical drives will fail, eventually, but I've had many Seagate and WD drives fail in that same time span that the HGST drives haven't failed at all.

News Comments > Ancient Space Released
5. Re: Ancient Space Released Sep 24, 2014, 12:10 Burrito of Peace

On the flip side, I don't think it looks anything like Homeworld except for the 3D movement.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Sep 24, 2014, 07:56 Burrito of Peace

Squirmer wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 22:41:
They're not "scraping" though, these are genuinely high-up and powerful positions. And the fact that "nobody" has heard of them is telling.

Why is it "telling"? Conspiratorial much?

Without using a search engine, can you tell me 10 powerful people in the telecommunications industry? The auto industry? How about the agribusiness industry?

It is unrealistic to expect the general public to know much about the rank and file in any industry that they are not directly part of or contributing to.

Edit:

More to the point, this list is REALLY reaching here to find their examples. Go in to Gamestop and, without revealing game titles, ask 10 random customers if they've ever heard of the following companies:

USC Games Innovation Lab
Shufflebrain
Media Molecule
Playmatics
Unity Technologies

I only know Unity because of the engine but I can't tell you whom or what the other 4 companies are and I've been gaming for more than 30 years.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2014, 08:03.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2014, 09:58 Burrito of Peace

It was a very comfortable summer in these parts... the downstairs air conditioner was never put in a window, and I doubt I ran the AC in my normally hot office more than a half-dozen times.

Furious2

I turned my AC on in March...and it hasn't turned off since.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
33. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 16:25 Burrito of Peace

The reviews from Steam on this have now become brutal. I briefly scanned through them and I would guess that ~95% of them are "Would not recommend".

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 22, 2014, 12:27 Burrito of Peace

People need to wise up and realize that no company really gives a shit about your privacy. They only care inasmuch as it takes for you to fork over gobs of cash for a very ephemeral product and to meet the standards of the government of the country they're operating in, but only to the barest of minimum levels.

Nothing you put online is safe. Nothing. Especially cloud storage services. If you don't own the hardware, the connection and haven't configured and reviewed the software that's running your cloud storage service, then you can not assume that your data is even moderately safe.

1643 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo