Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1643 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2014, 15:57 Burrito of Peace

With a Live USB (because, really, who the Hell burns discs today on a regular basis), the only driver problems I've run in to has been systems that use Broadcom wireless chipsets. Outside of that, CentOS, Crunchbang, Mint, Fedora, Mageia, Manjaro, Zorin and the like have all worked flawlessly when booting off the sticks. In fact, in using a Live USB stick and the Universal USB Installer, you can set up most Debian based distros to have a persistent partition of up to 4GB which then allows you to treat the USB stick like a mobile OS deployment.

Apple won't do it because they don't support a non-phone hardware install base larger than two types and the idiots who buy those believe pushing the magic button and sitting in their walled garden is the greatest thing ever.

Microsoft can't do it because MS is expected to support every random combination of hardware under the sun although you can boot in to a very basic PE environment. That clearly isn't going to work in an ecosystem that doesn't have shared driver support (as Linux does in general).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - War, the Game
4. Re: War, the Game May 15, 2014, 21:59 Burrito of Peace

War...war never changes.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2014, 20:17 Burrito of Peace

skyguy wrote on May 13, 2014, 18:24:
Linux From Scratch is a huge amount of work. Gentoo Linux is basically LFS except all the downloading and compiling is automated, and they have a hardened version as well. You still have to trust the Gentoo developers, but it is a completely community oriented project, no big company support. I trust 'em.

OpenBSD is another option: http://opensslrampage.org/

This is correct. However, for me, LFS is the best way to learn how and why Linux works instead of leaning on some random from the Internet whom you trust to make an install that will be either good enough, near perfect or perfectly suited to not just your system but your application and intents.

Normally, that wouldn't bother me if I am dicking around with a desktop distro ala Crunchang, Arch, etc. However, for something that I consider incredibly important, like my router, I like knowing exactly what, when, how and why it operates to my exact specifications.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2014, 20:39.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2014, 12:16 Burrito of Peace

Short version:

Eth0 serves as the WAN port and connects directly to the modem. Eth1 is the LAN port that connects to the switch. From there, systems are hardwired in. We have three dumb WAPs that service the few wireless devices we have. Wireless devices are kept on their own subnet without the ability to see the rest of the network. Assume standard hardening principles for access control and restriction.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2014, 10:39 Burrito of Peace

InBlack wrote on May 13, 2014, 10:01:
rofl...yeah but how are you going to get around the NSA backdoor conveniently placed directly inside your router?

I built my own using an old Q6600 based system I had laying around and Linux from Scratch. While I can't say with 100% certainty that the NSA doesn't have very deep roots in to every binary used in the project, I am reasonably certain that they do not. Following the Hardened Linux from Scratch method, I feel comfortable with the security of that router.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
60. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 08:59 Burrito of Peace

I'm guessing had I put "and we wore onions on our belt, which was the style at the time", the sarcasm of my previous post would have been more apparent? Outside of people my age, and older, how many people remember actually using membrane inputs ala the Atari 400?

Though, back in the day, gamepads sucked compared to the awesomeness of the Sidewinder, Firebird and original Gravis Joystick. I still have my Sidewinder force feedback joystick. Use it and an N52 to do a lot of space simming.

/Shakes fist at cloud

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 21:36 Burrito of Peace

ochentay4 wrote on May 11, 2014, 18:10:
Gamepads existed since the inception of a PC!

Confused Sure they did, kid. At the "inception of a PC", you were damn lucky if you had keyboard support, real keyboard support, and not just membrane input.

There's 20 years of separation between the "inception of a PC" and when gamepads were even remotely available to the mass market.

Let me guess, you also think that the NES is "old school".

News Comments > The Impossible Game on Steam
5. Re: The Impossible Game on Steam May 11, 2014, 12:47 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2014, 04:02:
Because the devs need to eat?

Then make something worth buying instead of rehashing something already released for free.

News Comments > The Impossible Game on Steam
2. Re: The Impossible Game on Steam May 10, 2014, 18:25 Burrito of Peace

If I can use Flashget to pull the game off a site hosting it for free, and still get the same game, why would I want to pay for it?  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders
1. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders May 9, 2014, 23:58 Burrito of Peace

$100? SANS shipping? Are they fucking crazy?!  

News Comments > Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey
10. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 13:24 Burrito of Peace

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 12:49:
Where exactly do you see performance gains over 7? While I was using 8.0 it seemed a lot more sluggish compared to 7

8.1 boot time to usable desktop from cold power on = 5.4 seconds
7 boot time to useable desktop from cold power on = 12 seconds

Large network transfers of ~40GB or more were faster by minutes on 8 compared to 7.

While we didn't measure it, load times on programs and games seemed faster on 8.1 than 7.

A coworker and I have the exact same setup:
Shuttle SZ87R6
Intel Core i7 4770-K (mild overclock to 4Ghz)
32GB Crucial Ballistix
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
780 GTX
Both Realtek 1Gb adapters teamed.

He installed 7 Pro 64 bit on his, and I 8.1 Pro 64bit on mine. Then we started mucking around side by side.

Don't get me wrong, I am not making the value judgement that 8 is better. It's just faster

News Comments > Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey
8. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 12:40 Burrito of Peace

<dons riot gear>

On my newest build, Win8.1 significantly outperforms Win7 (both 64 bit installs). While the UI isn't my cup of tea, exactly, it's serviceable enough as I mostly use the desktop. For me, the performance gains were worth the change over.

I'm hoping Win9 cleans up the UI significantly. If that happens, I think 9 will have the same welcome and adoption that 7 has enjoyed.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
29. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:21 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:47:
I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a copyright issue, it's technology and therefore patents and trade secrets.

I was speaking in general and the first thing that came to mind was the copyright system. However, you're correct and I've amended it to address all three.

25. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:38 Burrito of Peace

Beelzebud wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:10:
We live in a world where Zenimax/Bethesda owns Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout, and are claiming they own the work John Carmack has done while working on VR tech for Facebook.

Obvious News Headline:
Major corporations expand their product portfolio by buying out smaller companies. They also aggressively protect their IP because of/due to the broken US Copyright/Patent/Trademark systems.

Film at 11.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2014, 15:20.

19. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 10:47 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:53:
Dear god, is it a full moon or something????

No, Moon Moon just got ahold of a keyboard.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 1, 2014, 17:58 Burrito of Peace

First world problems.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 13:22 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2014, 12:55:
Darks wrote on May 1, 2014, 12:14:
I seriously donít know what you are referring to when you make that statement, because ESO feels a lot like Skyrim in many ways.

With the several betas I tried I can say it didn't feel anything like a proper TES game. It felt like an old MMO reskinned to be based on TES and failing.

It's nothing like Skyrim outside of sharing a very loose connection with the lore. Skyrim was an amazing game that has earned its rightful place in gaming legend. ESO will crash and burn as yet another failed MMO.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Prodigy the Game Apr 30, 2014, 10:13 Burrito of Peace

Will I have the opportunity to smack my bitch up?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video
4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video Apr 30, 2014, 10:12 Burrito of Peace

That's pretty impressive.

However, something sticks out to me. In DE:HR, pretty much everywhere had these rackmount systems under desks, in bedroom closets, in apartments, etc. In the future, especially in offices, why would you invest that much in hardware when a VDI would work perfectly well for a receptionist or secretary?

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
60. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:09 Burrito of Peace

ALL YOU HATERS ARE GONNA WEEP BLOOD WHEN STAR CITIZEN THE DFM COMES OUT AND IT'S THE BEST GAME DEMO THAT HAS EVER BEEN MADE!!!!
Or not. It may absolutely suck or be lukewarm at best. I don't care. I AM KAISER SOZE!

1643 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo