Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1728 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Lords of the Black Sun
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Lords of the Black Sun Sep 12, 2014, 20:55 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 20:27:
I simply cannot see this without singing Black Hole Sun.

Funny, every time I see the name of this title, I am reminded of the Emperor of the Fading Suns title from many years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2014, 10:53 Burrito of Peace

That was cool article on the wastewater treatment facility.

One thing they didn't address is how do they detoxify the water from the medical waste that's in it? Bleach is awesome but can it truly clean water from the sheer amount of pharmaceuticals that millions of people have in their waste?

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
5. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 12, 2014, 10:51 Burrito of Peace

Having been to Melbourne and Sydney this year on vacation, I noticed that the price markups were insane.

I think what blew my mind the most was that a can of refried beans that would normally retail for around .45-.69 cents was over three dollars US! THREE GODDAMNED DOLLARS! FOR BEANS!

Everything is ridiculously overpriced and even overhead, like shipping, distribution, and import tariffs (if any), can't explain a 600% cost difference.

I had seriously thought of emigrating to Oz but, yeah, the insane inflation of goods and housing killed it for me.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 12, 2014, 10:35 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 10:21:
Very frustrating to hear about these things. You have to do this thing and if you don't like it then your only recourse is our secret court process that you are guaranteed to lose or a 250k daily fee. Unreal.

Welcome to Amerika.

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
20. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 12, 2014, 10:32 Burrito of Peace

If anyone owns StarDrive, there's an excellent mod out for it called Star Trek Shattered Alliance. It offers a boatload of game improvements, tweaks and a much deeper research tree.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
8. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 10:13 Burrito of Peace

Will it include a loud, fat, extremely annoying Russian that talks endlessly and a plethora of mini games such as "Work out at the gym", "Eat at fast food restaurants", and the ever popular "Go on dates with ghetto skanks"?  

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
11. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 11, 2014, 14:13 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 13:47:
Hell even better bring back Bridge Commander as a MMORPG with all the super sexy ship damage and... cuse me while I go express myself in the bedroom.....

OMFG. Yes. YES! HOLY FUCKING SHIT YES!

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
2. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 09:55 Burrito of Peace

I did an Early Access buy on this game when it was announced. It's a great, fun game that has seen a lot of good work being done to it.

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
35. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:41 Burrito of Peace

You go in to business with the right mindset and that is to generate profit. This man has done so and now stands to do so many times over.

This makes absolute sense to me and I'd do it in his place in a heartbeat. Everyone has a price at which all the moral and principled grandstanding in the world becomes pointless.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 8, 2014, 08:11 Burrito of Peace

Fletch wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 23:50:
I want a Windows machine that I have absolute control of every program and service that loads. I want a fucking file manager where I "see" where all my shit is and move it where I want easily, NOT "My Pictures" or "My Documents", and certainly not those big square block thingies of Windows8.

Basically, I want DOS/Win3.1 with XTreeGold (and DirectX 11 support).

Those days are long over for the Windows platform, unfortunately. If you want that type of total control, your best bet is a Linux box.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 7, 2014, 19:22 Burrito of Peace

What does $150 get you in Destiny's Ghost Edition?

A swift, unwanted, prison style ass raping.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 6, 2014, 10:18 Burrito of Peace

Happy Note 3 owner and user here.

Right off the bat, it's not for everyone. Most especially if you have tiny hands. I can comfortably hold four softballs in one hand so I found most "regular" phones feel like toddler's toys in my hands. The Note just fits in my hand perfectly and using it doesn't make me feel like I'm tying my fingers in knots just to send a text.

Large, vibrant screen FTW! It's smaller than a tablet so it's easier to carry and larger than a phone so I can get more real estate to use onscreen. This is important to me when I am doing work related emergency things, especially with SSH and spreadsheet cheat sheets to look up HNs and IPs. It's also easy to watch movies on when I'm traveling or having a bit of downtime.

As for pocket fit, I guess that depends on your physical size. Mine fits in my front pocket easily and comfortably or the inside pocket of a jacket. It doesn't feel particularly heavy to me and it doesn't seem any more onerous to me than the keys in my other pocket.

A friend of mine asked me why I just didn't get a tablet. For me, the answer seemed simple enough; all the size of a thin 13" laptop but without any of the power and usually less than half the functionality. That was a lose-lose proposition in my book.

A lot of my field techs also have them for many of the same reasons I do.

Obviously, people's needs and wants differ but I see larger phones becoming more available in the future, and not less, as people want the abilities of a tablet/small laptop but not the size or weight and they don't want something they have to squint at to see, either.

9. Re: Facebook Messenger Sep 2, 2014, 19:41 Burrito of Peace

Sure you did, Beamer. Sure you did.

I totally believe you.

5. Re: Facebook Messenger Sep 2, 2014, 14:49 Burrito of Peace

Frags4Fun wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:03:
Unfortunately, facebook has profiles on people like you who who never even signed up so it's not so simple to just avoid being a part of it. All you can do is try to minimize the amount and accuracy of the data they collect on you.

Understandably so, given that there is no longer any reason to believe there is any sort of privacy whatsoever.

The easiest way to minimize that data collection is to not provide them anything at all. They want the data, they can mine the shit out of it on their own time without my assistance. Not using it is the most direct route to not assisting them.

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:10:
You can also have a normal, fulfilling life with friends whom you actually see, face to face, yet also see when they aren't nearby thanks to the internet.

Your life can't be all that fulfilling if you're worried about having your nose shoved so far up people's asses that you need to know what they're doing when you're not around. Me, I have my own interests, obligations and responsibilities that keep me occupied.

I never understand all these people who think that Facebook is a way of never seeing people face to face (though, frankly, it's best at keeping you in touch with those you can't see face to face because they live on the other side of the continent.

If only someone had invented cars, airplanes, trains, boats, motorcycles or any other means of rapid conveyance that would allow one to actually be in direct contact with someone in a distant locale. If only. Then we could actually go do things together, experiences, adventures, misadventures and events that have a long lasting and meaningful impact on one's life. But, no, clearly clicking a thumbs up icon and posting a one sentence line of text is more than sufficient to build memories from. Man, when I'm in my 70s, I'm sure I'll remember that time when I "liked" John's post about his sandwich way back in 2012. I'm sure we'll never talk about the time that we were doing the "Conspiracy Road Trip", got lost on the way to Roswell and ended up at this funky little gas station and diner out in the middle of nowhere where the old guy with the off colored glass eye regaled us about his alien abductions. The same diner where John met the girl whom would become his future wife.

It's especially weird how prevalent that attitude is amongst gamers on this site, since I'm pretty sure a good number of people here have friends they game with that they never have and likely never will meet face to face.

It's not weird at all. It's perfectly understandable from people who aren't shallow, lazy, attention whoring sycophants who need constant affirmation for even the most trivial of endeavors. Maybe your definition of "friend" is fairly...cursory. I can't speak for everyone, only myself, but a friend to me is someone I know I can call at 3am on a Tuesday and have them show up to assist in an emergency or provide bail money. The same friends who can call on me to do the same for them. These are people whom I have fought with, bled for, bled with, laughed with, cried with, shared meals with and have been to their marriages, funerals, baptisms and congratulated them on the birth of their children. As for gaming, I have a rule in place that has served me well since MUDs launched. If I can't call you an asshole to your face for something stupid you said or did while playing, then we aren't playing together. It's pretty simple. The core group I play with, and have played with for decades now, are awesome people that I am really glad to be playing with.

News Comments > City of Heroes Revival?
1. Re: City of Heroes Revival? Sep 2, 2014, 11:16 Burrito of Peace

Oh God...no, please no.

I'm already having PTSD flashbacks of the 19087 wannabe "Wullvereen" knockoffs...

2. Re: Facebook Messenger Sep 2, 2014, 11:15 Burrito of Peace

The easiest way to not have to deal with this bullshit is not to use Facebook. You can completely bypass it and still have a normal, fulfilling life with friends whom actually see you, face to face, instead of clicking an icon.

It may seem strange at first, even discomforting, but it can be done. You'll even get stories out of it that begin with "Do you remember that time we..."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2014, 11:05 Burrito of Peace

SlimRam wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 10:57:
Um, has anyone seen the real pictures yet? I might have casually looked for say, 12 to 14 hours yesterday but I wasn't able to find any that were real. There were plenty of disturbing, filthy, and disgusting, fakes that I had to subject myself to, dammit, to no avail. I was just hoping if someone could tell me if they were tasteful, yet double self fisting was involved?

No, no fisting in the dozen or so images my, uh, friend allegedly perused.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 Burrito of Peace

I believe we have talked this particular "issue" to death on this site yet I am more than certain that it will crop up over and over with the same two main groups going at each other with their usual slash and burn, salt the earth mentalities.

This accomplishes nothing. Both sides are childishly myopic and fail the basic minimum requirements to effectively communicate an idea. If an idea has merit, it stands on its own. It does not require champions to vociferously campaign for a single, idiosyncratic interpretation while simultaneously casting aspersions or judgement, whether covertly or overtly, to demonize people of an opposing viewpoint. This near religious belief in the superior rectitude of one's own interpretation isn't just ignorant, bigoted and wasteful; it's dangerous. It actively and continuously prevents the free flow of information exchange and the compromise needed to find common ground. Common ground that is sorely and desperately needed to even begin the process of finding a workable solution.

Also, we must accept the fact that everyone has a different threshold for what they consider to be a "problem". You may find this "issue" to be a problem while others are of the opinion that this is about as much of an issue as running out of butterscotch pudding. In the world of my 5 year old niece, for example, running out of butterscotch pudding is tantamount to the apocalypse happening right then and there. For me, it just means that at some point I have to get to the store and pick up more. That's after I mow the lawn, fix the leaky faucet, take out the trash and then pick up and take Mom to her doctor's appointment.

Then we'll get the pudding. But screaming and crying about it, throwing tantrums and generally being an offensive nuisance about not having pudding isn't going to incline me to abandon the more pressing issues that I already have.

If my five year old niece can figure this out, can understand compromise and can behave like a civilized, rational adult, why can't we?

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 22:04 Burrito of Peace

Squirmer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 19:21:
If you don't agree that's a problem, then the problem is you.

Translation: If you don't believe exactly the way I do, then you're wrong.

Bigoted thinking in a nutshell.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Amazon link question Aug 31, 2014, 14:01 Burrito of Peace

That does appear to work for me, Blue. Thank you.

I'll be buying a video card soon so I hope you see some dosh from that!

1728 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo