Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1861 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 21:09 Burrito of Peace

I haven't purchased a Blu-Ray anything...ever. I don't see the point. By the time I invest in the technology, and invest in building a significant library, "Super Uber Mega Deluxe 9000 SEE-THE-SWEAT-DRIP-OFF-A-HOBBIT'S-BALLSACK-HAIR 2048K" is the new standard. Fuck it, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the like are good enough for me. If I want to watch a movie, it's for the story and spectacle. The fact that it is .075% less black than flavor-of-the-month optical media is pointless to me. I just don't have the crippling level of autism or OCD needed to notice it.

What makes far more sense to me is releasing movies on USB keys. They're smaller, take up less room, have far more storage capacity and almost every amp, certainly every HTPC and every major console has USB ports. That way, I could play the movie on a laptop, a desktop, the home theater system, a tablet or even a phone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mafia III News Soon?
15. Re: Mafia III News Soon? Jan 8, 2015, 08:57 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 01:17:
SirKnight wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 00:16:
I loved Mafia 2. I replayed it over and over so many times I lost count. I just really like the story, characters and environment - especially the 50s part. I was fine with it not being open like GTA.

I also hope they continue the story in 3 where 2 left off. I hope Vito's friend Joe didn't get whacked after all.

That really irritated me. I FULLY expected a DLC to take care of what happened to Joe. They really left players hanging with that, especially since Joe was one of those rare characters you actually gave a shit about.

I feel differently. Joe was a fuckup who got whacked because he was a threat to the organization's stability and opsec. I was glad Joe was killed.

I have loved both Mafia games (including the race level in the first one) and hope to see a third soon. I'd like to see it set in the 60s and 70s.

News Comments > Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"
26. Re: Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 08:32 Burrito of Peace

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 02:17:
That's why I started getting Alienware when I went back to school.

...I had a faulty mobo fry pretty much everything in my case. NVidia 590, Intel i7 2600K, etc...

My laptop fried too...

Not exactly ringing endorsements for the quality and reliability of Alienware/Dell since both machines you purchased had total hardware failures.

Personally, I'll never buy a pre-built box. It never takes me more than 30 minutes to assemble the hardware and maybe another 5 minutes to get the OS and apps I want installed (WDS FTW!).

News Comments > Shadow Realms Reboot Rumor
1. Re: Shadow Realms Reboot Rumor Jan 6, 2015, 15:29 Burrito of Peace

I've heard "sources" say that I am currently dating, and banging the Hell out of, Amy Adams.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Film Dated
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Film Dated Jan 6, 2015, 15:25 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 14:23:
Michael Fassbender usually doesn't attach himself to shit so maybe there is some hope for this.

Prometheus
Jonah Hex
Centurion
Hex
The Counselor

Those were all mediocre (Prometheus) to absolute dogshit (Jonah Hex).

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
2. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 10:05 Burrito of Peace

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 09:47:
Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.

Especially since most onboard audio has optical out that can support a 5.1 to 7.2 configuration.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 16:23 Burrito of Peace

Has Skyrim, now three years old, finally run out of Steam?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 1, 2015, 13:42 Burrito of Peace

El Pit wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 12:52:
Burrito Division...

Burrito Division reporting in! Division Command reports that Burritos do not like nachos and have since upgraded to motion control, obviating the need for Xbox controllers.

DC also advises that those poser copycats in the Chair Farce, the Chimichanga Division, are the lazy fat slobs still using handheld controllers.

1. Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace. Dec 31, 2014, 10:06 Burrito of Peace

To a large part, I agree. To me, there is little more aggravating than a coworker who cannot shut the fuck up when I am trying to work. A screaming baby on a long flight is about the only thing that tops it. Both evoke a murderous desire within me. Work is just that, work. You are getting paid to show up, perform a role or task, and then leave. It's not Facebook: The Meat Bag Edition. I don't give a fuck about your kids, your boat, your dogs, your sick Aunt Ethel or what have you. I doubly don't give a fuck when you come over and start yapping about it, completely oblivious to the fact that I have on headphones. At a previous job, I once asked someone "Do you randomly show up at your friends' homes, bang on their doors and, when they open them, start nattering on about the most inconsequential shit in your life? No? Then why do it here? Especially to someone you don't really know. Isn't there a TPS cover sheet you could be designing?"

Sadly, the TPS joke flew right over their heads but, six months later, enough people had had enough of the distractions that we all got our offices and 6 foot tall cubes back.

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
4. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 12:37 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:48:
GOG does not support Linux

This suggests otherwise:

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=title&system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu&page=1

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 30, 2014, 11:30 Burrito of Peace

rocketpcguy wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:04:
what should the headline be to be correct (i.e. what should be in place of "its")?

I'm wondering that myself. It's=It is while Its=possessive pronoun.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
21. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:02 Burrito of Peace

Kevin Lowe wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:53:
How many more boxes do they have to check off before they no longer deserve to have their work pirated? Where's the fucking line?

Is the game available digitally? Can the 0s and 1s be replicated? Yes? There's your line.

I no longer assume the presence of concepts such as "ethics" and "morality" given that they are, by nature, personal and cultural and therefore not universal.

Given the ubiquitous abundance of relatively inexpensive offerings by platforms such as Steam, Amazon and GOG, I no longer pirate games, most music or ebooks. However, I will readily admit that there are things I do pirate because they are, quite simply, just not available in my country and there isn't a way to import them. If I can flip the artist money directly, I do, because it's in my best interest to support them. They are making something I enjoy and I want them to continue making that something I enjoy.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2014, 12:19 Burrito of Peace

You poor saps who have to work...

I've been off since the 20th and have to the 5th before I have to work.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 20, 2014, 07:58 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 23:20:
You ever had a raid? I have.. and you don't want to have a 4TB hdd in a raid fail... rebuild takes forever and during that time more HDD's in that raid WILL fail.

I currently have a SAN that consists of 144TB of raw storage (6 6 bay NASes of 4TB drives), so it's funny that you mentioned that. Rebuilding can take a bit but it's not the end of the world provided you use the correct array structure. You won't even see a performance hit during normal usage if you've planned your deployment with even the most rudimentary of caution.

You should never see other drives die during an array build unless you've got a systemic problem, a shit controller or your array choice was very poorly thought out. I use RAID60 with ZFS and have had ZERO additional drives fail during a rebuild.

News Comments > Dead Effect Released
4. Re: Dead Effect Released Dec 19, 2014, 09:09 Burrito of Peace

If there is a sequel, will it be called "Mass Space"?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Judge allows lawsuit over Killzone to Proceed Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 Burrito of Peace

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:58:
And how did those turn out?

With the lawyer able to continue making payments on his Bentley.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
38. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 22:42 Burrito of Peace

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:06:
I don't see your gaming habit as very common though.

It really isn't and I wouldn't say it is. But, since I don't live anyone else's digital life but my own, all I really have to judge by is how products offered to me serve my needs...or don't.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
36. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 22:00 Burrito of Peace

For me, it's getting to the point where gaming is getting less interesting and my need for a Windows partition, let alone a Windows exclusive installation, is rapidly dwindling. For daily use, there are plenty of Linux distros that do everything I need. Libre for office work, VLC is cross platform, as is Amarok (which I have come to prefer over Rhythmbox, Banshee or even the venerable old Winamp). I have Thunderbird, Seamonkey or a host of other email clients, if I wanted to use something other than a web interface.

Almost all of the games I enjoy playing repeatedly are "older" titles, like Silent Hunter IV, Medieval II, Homeworld 1 and 2, and they work beautifully under WINE. Even new titles are suddenly getting Linux ports like Metro 2033 Redux and Borderlands, as well as others.

Provided that momentum continues, I won't even need Windows for gaming.

I just find it hard to justify a Windows OS license purchase in today's world.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2014, 17:40 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 12:16:
If Blue lived in Florida or Texas, I'd agree with you.

As a Texan, let me be the first to say to you; bless your little heart.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2014, 17:33 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 11:07:
Is everyone really ignoring my post about how they did this with Office and no one got conned into doing anything they didn't want to do, and that at a certain number of computers it's actually much cheaper to look at it as a service, but it's really aimed just at businesses?

No. I already mentioned that in my block about an enterprise subscription version.

1861 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo