Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1875 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2015, 10:33 Burrito of Peace

wtf_man wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 10:01:
Seeing how some folks have used 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 successfully for their gaming rigs... I don't see why the new Server OS wouldn't work.

The only real impediment for most people is price. You can get a desktop copy of Windows from ~$60 on up. Server, on the other hand, is usually ~$300 on up. That assumes, of course, that someone is wanting to own a license and run a legit copy.

The secondary impediment that I can see is the services that you have to manually enable, plus add the Desktop Experience Role through Server Manager, which can intimidate a lot of people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
8. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 10:28 Burrito of Peace

FUCK YES!!!!! FINALLY!

I have had the Collector's Edition pre-ordered on Amazon since the day it was announced as available.

I am very much looking forward to playing this on a modern system. I, too, have all the originals (including Cataclysm) but they're pain in the ass to get running on a modern OS and the render mode is always stuck in "Software" as the Dx calls that the originals used are deprecated in today's world and even forcing it causes an ugly screen blink that gives me headaches. OpenGL works...provided it I run it in WINE on a Linux box.

I'm hoping this sells well enough that we'll see a Homeworld 3. I know that Homeworld:Shipbreakers is in development but that's all ground based RTS from what I recall seeing.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 26, 2015, 09:39 Burrito of Peace

WaltC wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 16:29:
That's pretty good for an Apple product...19 hours...I mean, the 40-year old Accutron watch my Dad left me is accurate to within 1 second per year and its battery only lasts 3-5 years.

B..b..but it doesn't check Facebook or Instagram or my mail! How can I Facebook to my friends about this one weird trick that allows me to take a dump and share it with everyone on my friends list simultaneously?!

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 15:17 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 15:05:
Just had another 2TB Barracuda die on me at work.

I'm thinking it's something on the controller board because of all the 2TB Barrcudas that died here (17 and counting) only one of them didn't physically spin up.

I have to back BackBlaze when it comes to HGST drives. I think I've had one fail out of the 100 or so 4TB models that we deployed and HGST overnighted us an advanced replacement.

I was worried when they were bought out by WD but WD seems to have left them alone to continue being awesome.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 15:02 Burrito of Peace

Slick wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 14:42:
can you imagine how much more fun it would have been if that same problem cropped up in linux?

Oh, yeah, it would have been horrible. So much work, too. All of a minute and half worth of lazy effort. Rolleyes

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2015, 07:55 Burrito of Peace

"So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!"

News Comments > Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released
9. Re: Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released Jan 20, 2015, 20:10 Burrito of Peace

yuastnav wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 18:55:
On the one hand they explicitly stated they have no idea where to go from here since they can't think of anything even more over the top.

On the other hand they still want to make games in the Saints Row universe.

Why not bring the game full circle and have the Saints be the gang you topple as an upstart in a relatively obscure gang? That's what you did starting with SR1.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 20:29.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
6. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 11:36 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 10:56:
A pirates meets spaceships game.. wouldn't that be something

Shut up and take my money!

I'm getting kind of a GalCiv vibe, however.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. . Jan 18, 2015, 16:41 Burrito of Peace

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2015, 16:59.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 18, 2015, 16:07 Burrito of Peace

Because they were dropped on their head twice in a row as babies instead of the once required to be an Apple customer in the first place?  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 18, 2015, 00:30 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 23:37:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 22:04:
nin wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 20:11:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 19:17:
Caution is warranted but most radiation we generate that can get inside a house by bending and diffraction instead of piercing (like radio waves, wifi, not like xray) has nowhere near the energy to be ionizing. Adding more wifi waves (if this even makes sense) doesn't increase the harm much because of the quantum nature of electron excitation.

This is heavy.

Good news. It only causes brain cancer and leukemia in children. Other then that it appears completely safe!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/magnetic-fields

"Several early epidemiologic studies raised the possibility of an association between certain cancers, especially childhood cancers, and ELF-EMFs. Most subsequent studies have not shown such an association "

This is why reading is a helpful skill.

You...you...you hush with your reason and logic!

News Comments > Steam for Linux Bug Could Cause Data Loss
5. Re: Steam for Linux Bug Could Cause Data Loss Jan 17, 2015, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

Goddamnit Valve... Speechless  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2015, 11:28 Burrito of Peace

BobBob wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 19:39:
Spyware or cookie removal by doing A, B, C and D ... including E and F and especially Z if heavily infected.

Funny, I've not had to do that in a touch over five years now.

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2 Dev to Australians: "Just Pirate It"
47. Re: Hotline Miami 2 Dev to Australians: Jan 16, 2015, 23:14 Burrito of Peace

Killswitch wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 13:36:
People are making a case for portrayal and simulation of rape...

No, they're not. However, let's delve in to your weird obsession with shoving your idiosyncratic morality on society as a whole and assume that they are. How is that different than, say, The Accused? Irreversible? Baise Moi? Those movies not only simulate rape, they graphically portrayed it to a point where even a jaded asshole like me was uncomfortable. However, in doing so, they garnered Academy Awards, Golden Globes, BAFTA awards, Sundance Festival awards as well as nominations for a slew of other awards for telling powerful and compelling stories.

But I guess all those people who worked on those films, labored to bring them in to being and acted in them, people who were lauded for their efforts, were just sick, amoral anarchists tearing at the belly of the lily white purity of society? Rolleyes

Sure, I would love to live in a society where freedom of expression exists, but that reality is merely a pipe dream. You can't have a free society where a criminal element exists. I am not an enemy of freedom. I do, however, recognize that there is something inherently wrong when a person tries to capitalize on forces that oppose the society in which we live.

Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Payne, John Adams, and James Madison are all in the next room and have some wonderful ideas to share with you.

Nevertheless, define "criminal". Anyone whose speech and behavior you disagree with? The funny thing is, you speak in a manner daily that even a hundred years ago would have caused you to be ostracized. The fact that you don't know that, while haranguing about the impossibility of free speech existing is, well, hilariously ironic.

I just don't believe the government needs to sanction the portrayal and simulation of heinous crimes that have already been outlawed in society.

You don't? Holy shit! GET ON THE PHONE WITH YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS RIGHT NOW! There are people (AND COMPANIES!) making these things called "movies" that do exactly that and, oh horror of horror, they've been doing it for more than a hundred years! HOW CAN THIS SICK FILTH GO ON???? Rolleyes

41. Re: Hotline Miami 2 Dev to Australians: Jan 16, 2015, 12:27 Burrito of Peace

Killswitch wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:29:
I hate to play the "for the children" card...

You didn't, I already did upthread satirically when I knew that you would be doing exactly that later on.

So far you have:
Invoked Godwin's Law
Invoked the tired refrain of "for the children"
Used false equivalency
Used appeal to consequences
Used, admittedly in a subtle way, slippery slope
Used appeal to emotion

I'm not trying to bait or antagonize you, but c'mon...try to make some cogent arguments instead of relying on logical fallacies.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 16, 2015, 09:22 Burrito of Peace

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 19:54:
We can go back to hating those who wear bluetooth ear pieces everywhere again!

You mean ear penises?

28. Re: Hotline Miami 2 Dev to Australians: Jan 16, 2015, 09:05 Burrito of Peace

Killswitch wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:00:
What if you were a Jew, a Muslim, an African-American, a victim of rape, or a mother of a child?

What if someone is neither of those? Those have zero bearing on your moralist crusade.

Killswitch wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:00:
I would go so far as to say that the very fabric of society was being eroded by the actions of those who develop and defend this sort of objectionable media.

Uh, how about no?

26. Re: Hotline Miami 2 Dev to Australians: Jan 16, 2015, 08:55 Burrito of Peace

Killswitch wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 07:25:
Are you suggesting we open the floodgates to any and all games where you play as a character engaged in the most heinous of crimes?

We already have. Play any modern FPS in, say, the last five to ten years? While I have no moral qualms about it, you're given the keys to the kingdom to virtually murder your way through, taken across all games in the genre, millions of sentient beings. For example, in the last two Fallout games, you could literally kill every single thing you see...including children with a mod that isn't at all hard to find.

We've become so blaise at the simulated act, that we rationalize it away with some really flimsy logic at times. I think Spec Ops: The Line did a great job in its presentation on the lengths a person can go to when rationalizing behavior that is absolutely horrible. You can try to rationalize it by saying "B...b...but those are BAD guys and we're GOOD guys! Because reasons!" Yet, even then, good and bad are subjective, not absolute. Who's good? The blue sky hero soldier in a pretty uniform "defending freedom and justice" or the former sheep herder who's tired of seeing a foreign power murder his friends and family, impoverish the local population, starve them, and suppress his faith whom decides to fight back to stop it?

Your post is pretty typical of an absolutist and moralist. You believe that there is a definitive line between good and evil and that line must be enforced by "society". Yet, within society, there exists no moral absolute across the whole of society. Whose society? The US'? China's? Niger's? Italy's? Given that the release of entertainment products are now global, catering to as many purchasers as possible, it makes zero business sense to release a product that is hung up on one culture's values.

3. Re: 2015 will be the year of container wars Jan 15, 2015, 19:59 Burrito of Peace

jimnms wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 19:05:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:24:
Registration required, albeit free. Why are we linking to websites that require it now?

http://bugmenot.com/view/infoworld.com

Thanks!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Birdman Jan 15, 2015, 14:51 Burrito of Peace

I just finished watching Birdman about 30 minutes ago.

I'm left with the impression that this movie was done either on a dare or because Keaton, Norton, and Stone lost a bet. It's actively abysmal.

Just...ugh. It's not even depressing-but-good-and-insightful.

1875 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo