Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1977 (Pro)
User ID 21247
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: A Car Dealers Wonít Sell: Itís Electric Nov 30, 2015, 23:04 Burrito of Peace
wtf_man wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 20:21:
Actually, electric motors have way more torque... but towing or doing something heavy-duty would drain the battery way too fast.

A Dodge RAM eco-diesel might be your ticket... and if the word goes kaflooey, you can always run it on scrounged fry oil.

DC motors do have a ton of torque, agreed. But torque only goes so far and that's when the horsepower kicks in, which DC motors lack.

Not buying a Dodge anything, ever. If the world shits the bed, I'll be using a couple of burros and a cart. All I need to scrounge are grass and water.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Truly Out of the Blue... Nov 30, 2015, 19:05 Burrito of Peace
Hey Blue,

Will you ever implement HTTPS for BN?
8. Re: A Car Dealers Wonít Sell: Itís Electric Nov 30, 2015, 18:46 Burrito of Peace
I'll be interested when they can make a hybrid F150 that gets 30+ MPG and still holds its near (usually over) 400 hp/torque numbers.  
News Comments > Black Friday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Black Friday Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 28, 2015, 11:55 Burrito of Peace
What, Supafly from Daikatana wasn't enough?  
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2015, 16:30 Burrito of Peace
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 13:04:
What a surprise!

Indeed! AMD has shit drivers on Linux and always has. I don't expect anything to change with that company slowly circling the drain.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 23, 2015, 12:13 Burrito of Peace
I don't think it's a hardware issue but one of software. The original Xbox ran on a modified NT kernel with some pretty specific DirectX instructions. It was also released 15 years ago. Since both the Xbox and Xbox One are basically PCs, think about it this way: how many 15 year old games work on a modern system without any sort of tweaking? Even GOG has to do a lot of work to resurrect some of our favorite games of the past and sometimes they don't always work perfectly or even well (Interstate '76, for example).

Also, remember that all Xbox Ones recently received the system update that updated them to the Win10 codebase. So they're on DX11 and DX12 now. The original used DirectX 8.1 and was not capable of being updated by design.

Some, if not most, of the features of DirectX 9 are deprecated now and the ones that do work are done via emulation in DX11/12. That's hard enough. Going from a static, ancient 8.1 codebase to the modern codebase is a non-trivial underaking. I give them credit for trying it in the first place.
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2015, 06:40 Burrito of Peace
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 03:53:
Just remember, the more times you orbit the more course corrections you'll need to do to keep in orbit.

Should we get you a copy of Kerbal Space Program?

Let's introduce him to MechJeb.
News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 21, 2015, 17:05 Burrito of Peace
Man in the High Castle was a surprising find and quite enjoyable on Prime.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
33. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 20, 2015, 11:32 Burrito of Peace
Quinn wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 02:55:
My worst gripe is the ridiculous performance of this graphically mediocre looking game, especially around large clusters of buildings. There's just no excuse. The Witcher runs fucking flawless. There's just no excuse.

My lack of gripe is the pretty damned awesome performance I get while playing. No microstutters, no FPS drops, everything cranked up. Works like a champ.
News Comments > Just Cause 3 4K Trailer
7. Re: Just Cause 3 4K Trailer Nov 18, 2015, 13:28 Burrito of Peace
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 10:46:
pssssht, I'm waiting for this 4k fad to pass. Bring on 8k!!!

8K is for peasants with AMD hardware. The real action is at 16K.
News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 16, 2015, 09:15 Burrito of Peace
So, a remake of Planetfall basically.  
News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 15, 2015, 07:39 Burrito of Peace
Bard wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 21:34:
harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 18:13:
InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 15:35:
I think most of you are over-reacting.

of course they are... nobody has stopped to think how many man hours it would take to actually parse and utilize all this TOP SECRET INFO!!~!11!!! they are gathering about your shopping habits and so on

its just people being super fucking self-important, as usual.. thinking the world revolves around them and they are the center of the fucking universe

Unless you're a journalist, whistleblower, activist, politician or celebrity.

So long as you're compliant, no one cares about your secrets. But what if you saw something tomorrow that made you want to become one of the above?

Then you'd use Linux, crypto, and anonymization like any self-respecting person who values their privacy would. Were it not for gaming, I would have zero reasons to run Windows on this machine.
News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
22. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 12:12 Burrito of Peace
Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:12:
Btw, why on earth does your character know how to build all this stuff? He's a military guy. His wife was a lawyer. How on earth is he the world's master carpenter? Why can he build a generator from screws and glue and steel without even a blueprint?

I'm not a master carpenter but the wood and steel shelters available aren't exactly rocket science in their construction. I could build them pretty easily and most anyone else could too if they spent a few minutes worth of skull sweat on it. Building a generator isn't overly difficult, either. That's basic 10th grade physics level stuff. Sure, it won't be a Onan 2000kW generator, but it's doable for small things like LEDs, lightbulbs, and such. Also, it's Fallout. When did I learn the secrets to nuclear technology and fiber optics so I could build an Ultimate Death Laser Sniper Musket? Willing suspension of disbelief has got to come in to play at some point.
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2015, 21:14 Burrito of Peace
nin wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 13:34:
Bad reviews and burned bridges be damned.

They (whoever "they" ends up as) better bring their A game next time...

edit: I should say (in reference to the article title) Craig himself wasn't the problem.

Yeah, it wasn't Craig. The movie was just dull as fuck. I saw it today in a mostly packed theater and the resounding feeling of "meh" from the audience after the house lights came back up was palpable. FFS, you have one of the most gorgeous women in the history of cinema in your film and you...dedicate five minutes to her character. A character that is a complete throwaway? WTF?

Hell, even the car chase in Rome was boring. I know that during filming, most car chases are done at low speeds and then made to look fast with editing and film speed trickery. In this case, it was like they didn't even bother.

The last couple of Bond films have worked because a lot of what Craig's Bond went through really looked like practical effects. He bled, he was banged up quite a bit, and his Bond was just a more physical presence in general. In this one, that didn't come across either.

It was just "meh". I really can't put it any better.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the after-the-fact attempt at making the last three Bond films turn in to some sort of overarching story is really, really hamfisted and shoddy. It actually cheapened the events in Skyfall tremendously in my opinion.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
24. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 7, 2015, 12:38 Burrito of Peace
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 12:32:
Dacron wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 12:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 10:52:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 22:24:
Great White Shark wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 21:54:
Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:33:
Looks more like a steaming load to me.

No one gives a shit what you think.

And you're off to a great start too, mister 253 posts. Looking at your history, you seem to have basically nothing positive to contribute to any discussion. You'd be a lot happier in life if you tried being less negative. But that's none of my business. *sips tea*

And that's why you keep idiots like him on ignore.

The irony is strong in that statement.

Armengar you have 1068 posts.
Quality not quantity. No one here doubts who is ignored the most.

AnnointedSword? Hellbinder?
News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
24. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 14:20 Burrito of Peace
Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 14:11:
Whatever. Those of you bitching about the graphics can keep bitching. I'm going to buy the game on 11/10. Bring on the post apocalyptic wasteland!

Hell yes! I'm stoked for some ghoul killing, super mutant smashing, Brotherhood ripping fun!

When do preloads start? Monday?
News Comments > World of Fishing Beta Opens
5. Re: World of Fishing Beta Opens Nov 3, 2015, 23:10 Burrito of Peace
I read it as "World of Fisting" at first and I thought "Well, I guess the FetLife crowd will be all over it."  
News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Nov 3, 2015, 08:20 Burrito of Peace
InBlack wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 02:34:
I should have expected the cynicism but holy fuck, not one even one other hopeful? It's fucking STAR TREK!

I am hopeful. I've seen a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media since yesterday after this announcement. I find it funny because when Star Trek was good, it was damned good. However, packed all around that were large chunks of mediocrity and downright awful. TNG suffered from "Crisis of the Week" syndrome, DS9 took years to become interesting and, until it did, it was basically "Little House on the Prairie in Space", and Voyager was written like someone was off their meds for almost its entire run. TOS was arguably the best of them all for blatantly taking on issues of the day but it was only two years of actual episodes. Out of all the TOS movies, Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are really the only two movies that hold up after all these years. First Contact was decent but then there was Insurrection, Generations, and Nemesis.

Apart from the laborious Xindi time war, Enterprise was probably the closest to being my favorite. It's closest to what I believe our encounter with other species is going to be like and that what we believe to be our best technology is going to seem awfully crude and underpowered compared to far more established and advanced species.

While people want to bitch and moan about the Abrams universe, it successfully revived an IP that had been run in to the ground and all but destroyed. It made people interested in it again and it did it in a way that captured their attention and imagination. Yes, the lens flares were there. Yes, the bridge looked like it had been designed by an Apple design team. However, TNG's bridge looked like the lobby of a Hilton. That giant curved wooden beam across the back just needed a "Reception" sign hanging over the top of it to be perfect.

So, yes, I am hopeful that the new Star Trek will be not just good but better than its predecessors. I hope that it has season long story arcs that fit in to a broader story that's more fleshed out than "Robinson Crusoe in Space". Tap someone like J. Michael Straczynski and you'll have a damned good show.
News Comments > Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans
13. Re: Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans Oct 25, 2015, 01:00 Burrito of Peace
Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 22:05:
The Cave is awesome.

In your opinion. However, the Metacritic score doesn't agree with you.
Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 22:05:
And Schafer didn't work on that, it was Ron Gilbert's baby.

Doesn't matter. Schaefer is the one whom is ultimately responsible for DoubleFine's many fuckups since they are all being done under his studio's name. From DoubleFine's own website: Double Fine Productions is an award-winning, independent game development studio founded in 2000 by games industry veteran Tim Schafer.
News Comments > Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans
11. Re: Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans Oct 24, 2015, 21:20 Burrito of Peace
Fantaz wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 12:19:
WTF are you guys talking about? why are Double Fine bad? source?

Broken Age: Broken Promises

"So you bought Spacebase DF-9? Well, fuck you. We're not going to fix the shit we destroyed in broken Alpha after Alpha and now we're not going to finish the game, because we failed basic economic math in high school."

Then there's "The Cave"

"Massive Chalice" which was hilariously summed up as "itís all about the perils of badly organised sex."

Whatever creativity Tim Schaefer had 30 years ago was left on the floor of Lucasarts when he exited and he has the same capacity for running a productive game studio as Kim Jung-il has for running an effective economy.

1977 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo