Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2034 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 5, 2016, 22:09 Burrito of Peace

I'd love a keyboard done in the style of the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard done with backlit keys. Some of us have very large hands and a straight keyboard is murder on the wrists.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 11:12 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:35:
When Garbage Trucks Explode.

Holy shit!

No doubt and the smell has to be atrocious!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Swatting Feb 2, 2016, 16:31 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 14:50:
Could you post your source for that, I'd be interested in reading it.... (yes, I could just Google it, but I'm curious where you found the information...not implying anything, this isn't meant to sound hostile, I'm just genuinely curious)

=-Rigs-=

I found this from May of last year.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2016, 12:39 Burrito of Peace

Ah, Duke3D! I remember playing the Hell out of that game back in the day. At the time, my family had a business that was being run out of our home so we had about a dozen Pentium Pro machines with really nice graphics cards and Sound Blaster cards in them. We also had a 100mb LAN that connected all these machines to a storage server. My dad, whom is still a gaming fanatic, set the server up to also serve as a D3D server and would play with my friends and I for hours on end.

We would play D3D, Doom (1 and 2), Quake, and Terminal Velocity. Those were some really good times.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2016, 19:22 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 17:24:
That is a logical fallacy right there ,) Oracle is not smart

I...can't really argue that at all. Fair point.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 28, 2016, 15:33 Burrito of Peace

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:15:
Simon says shut the fuck up.

Simon says said "LOL"*

*This could go in to infinite recursiveness if Simon says keeps replying.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2016, 13:53 Burrito of Peace

If Oracle was smart, they'd snap up as many of the Workstation and Fusion devs as fast as possible and assign them to VirtualBox. While VB is ok, it has little of the flexibility and polish that Workstation has.  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Announced
11. Re: AoC Jan 28, 2016, 13:35 Burrito of Peace

If there was ever a company that didn't "get" the Robert E. Howard version of Conan, it's Notsofuncom.

News Comments > The Witness Released
3. Re: The Witness Released Jan 26, 2016, 23:08 Burrito of Peace

Can I get a witness?

To take away the pain?

News Comments > Evochron Legacy Launches
9. Re: Evochron Legacy Launches Jan 21, 2016, 10:46 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 08:23:
Egosoft has been doing storyline structure for years and that's still the part of the X games I find most pointless and boring.

Because they do it so poorly. Imagine something like Privateer or Freelancer in the X universe. A decent, actual story written by people who know how to do such things.

Egosoft actively sucks at storytelling. FFS, the main villain in most of their games is a race whose name literally sounds like "cock". I know it's spelled Khaak but, come on, even from Germans that's pretty blatant.

News Comments > Blade & Soul Launches
16. Re: Blade & Soul Launches Jan 19, 2016, 23:25 Burrito of Peace

Thanks guys! I met a lot of cool, interesting people while working for NCSoft from the tech support guys (all 5 of them in the States whom were tier 2 but absolute rockstars in how many issues they handled in a week to successful resolutions) all the way up to Executive Producers. I have loads of stories about Guild Wars, CoH/CoV, Exteel, Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners...pretty much the entire NCSoft catalog. Unfortunately, a lot of really good people couldn't save the place from atrocious upper management and "rockstar" egos.

As for you, IceWind, I can assure you that I am pretty far from a puritanical person. Skin is fine when it isn't turned in to a fetish for a development group that is far more sexually repressed than any American could even dream of being. I've known nuns whom were more sexually liberal than those guys.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 19, 2016, 17:25 Burrito of Peace

I do not know about this particular product but I am a big fan of OpenHardware Monitor. I've used it for years.  

6. Re: Blade & Soul Launches Jan 19, 2016, 11:01 Burrito of Peace

briktal wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 10:10:
SunnyD wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 09:50:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 09:44:
That only took nine years of development.

Is 'this' what NCSoft was developing when they bought and killed off City of Heroes/Villains to make way for some arpg they were making?

~Finis~

To be fair, it did come out 4 years ago in Korea.

When I worked at NCSoft, this was revealed at a company meeting in 2002 as being "near completion". The original plan was to release version 1.0 in SK and work out the kinks before releasing it in the western market. The problem arose when we were given it to playtest and the Engrish was barely coherent at best. It was just a really, really awkward "game".

We used to call it "Ass and Thighs" internally because all of the videos we were shown had a disturbing tendency to focus on upskirt shots and linger for an uncomfortably long time on the, at the time, ridiculously thick thighs of the female characters. The tit jiggling, too, was nearly a parody of the DOA style as well. Just a really creepy experience all around. The SK overlords got wind of that internal title and weren't exactly pleased. To them, this was their next big thing and all the other titles were secondary to it, Lineage, and Aion.

As for CoH/CoV, the most commonly circulated reason internally was that both the backend and client code was really messy. NC wanted to buyout Cryptic wholly but it ended with Cryptic selling the IP to NCsoft. The people who wanted to stay with NC and CoH/CoV formed under the Paragon name. It lingered on for a bit but as I understand it, that group of people lacked the knowhow and imagination to keep CoH/CoV alive and fix its problems. I know that there was talk for a while of relaunching CoH/CoV on a new engine that used DirectX instead of OpenGL so they could basically redo everything from scratch. The cost of that, the declining revenues of NC in the States (due to the writeoffs of Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners, etc), plus their 28 million dollar lawsuit loss pretty much gutted NC stateside. The only "local" product that was generating revenue consistently was Guild Wars but I know the lion's share of that went to ArenaNet. So, with declining resources, NC West had to focus on the income they were getting from the SK side and the money they were getting from the sales of GW2. Lotta layoffs and product killings and cancellations.

Sorry if that was long-winded but the situation was pretty complicated.

1. Re: Blade & Soul Launches Jan 19, 2016, 09:44 Burrito of Peace

That only took nine years of development.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2016, 23:08 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 21:38:
I actually liked Don Henley and Glenn Frey's solo work a lot more.

You belong to the city.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2016, 19:27 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 15:34:
At least the Linux fanboys...

Speaking as one of those "fanboys":

• I dual boot because I do want the best selection of games available

• I buy almost every major title that becomes available for Steam and quite a few indie titles. While I am pragmatic, and understand that the market share of Linux is excruciatingly tiny, I also understand that someone has to break the chicken-and-egg stalemate. So I do my little part to help show that there is an interest in gaming on Linux.

• My actual performance numbers skew pretty heavily in favor of Linux. It boots faster, even with decrypting the disk, uses less system memory, and, in native vs native comparison, it almost invariably comes out ahead. KSP, for example, actually performs better by about 40%.

• Drivers are a non-issue. Even if you're new to Linux and using the wonderfully new user friendly Linux Mint, there are plenty of driver managers that now come baked in to all the major distros that download the most stable proprietary driver sets for your hardware. I literally haven't had to hunt for a driver in years and I have hopped through all the major distros that either are, or based on, Debian, Red Hat, Arch, or SUSE. I've settled on Korora which is the best Fedora based experience I've ever had the pleasure of using. Hell, even my mother uses it as she's about as technically savvy as any 60+ year old person is bound to be.

• I don't get the Windows fanboyism, either. It's just an OS, not a member of your family. Be platform agnostic and enjoy the benefits of all platforms. Yes, even OSX.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2016, 11:09 Burrito of Peace

I hope to FSM that this one doesn't suck as bad as Cloverfield. It took me three times to get through that movie because I just wanted every one of the main cast to die as soon as they showed up on film. They're all so incredibly irritating and unlikable.  

News Comments > Medieval II: Total War for OS X & Linux
    2. Re: Medieval II: Total War for OS X & Linux Jan 14, 2016, 22:03 Burrito of Peace

Sweet! Empire is already available for Linux so this is welcome news!  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 10:51 Burrito of Peace

Death seems to come in threes. This year we had Lemmy and Bowie for musicians and for actors we had Rickman and Brian Bedford. We have one more to go in each category.  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video
    5. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video Jan 14, 2016, 00:10 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 22:36:
    Holy shit you're right there's literally a motherfucker with a fedora (or is it a trilby?).

Trilby. The iconic plumage of hipster spunk trumpets everywhere.

Only gentlemen wear fedoras.

2034 Comments. 102 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo