Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1728 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 20, 2014, 07:58 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 23:20:
You ever had a raid? I have.. and you don't want to have a 4TB hdd in a raid fail... rebuild takes forever and during that time more HDD's in that raid WILL fail.

I currently have a SAN that consists of 144TB of raw storage (6 6 bay NASes of 4TB drives), so it's funny that you mentioned that. Rebuilding can take a bit but it's not the end of the world provided you use the correct array structure. You won't even see a performance hit during normal usage if you've planned your deployment with even the most rudimentary of caution.

You should never see other drives die during an array build unless you've got a systemic problem, a shit controller or your array choice was very poorly thought out. I use RAID60 with ZFS and have had ZERO additional drives fail during a rebuild.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Effect Released
4. Re: Dead Effect Released Dec 19, 2014, 09:09 Burrito of Peace

If there is a sequel, will it be called "Mass Space"?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Judge allows lawsuit over Killzone to Proceed Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 Burrito of Peace

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:58:
And how did those turn out?

With the lawyer able to continue making payments on his Bentley.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
38. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 22:42 Burrito of Peace

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:06:
I don't see your gaming habit as very common though.

It really isn't and I wouldn't say it is. But, since I don't live anyone else's digital life but my own, all I really have to judge by is how products offered to me serve my needs...or don't.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
36. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 22:00 Burrito of Peace

For me, it's getting to the point where gaming is getting less interesting and my need for a Windows partition, let alone a Windows exclusive installation, is rapidly dwindling. For daily use, there are plenty of Linux distros that do everything I need. Libre for office work, VLC is cross platform, as is Amarok (which I have come to prefer over Rhythmbox, Banshee or even the venerable old Winamp). I have Thunderbird, Seamonkey or a host of other email clients, if I wanted to use something other than a web interface.

Almost all of the games I enjoy playing repeatedly are "older" titles, like Silent Hunter IV, Medieval II, Homeworld 1 and 2, and they work beautifully under WINE. Even new titles are suddenly getting Linux ports like Metro 2033 Redux and Borderlands, as well as others.

Provided that momentum continues, I won't even need Windows for gaming.

I just find it hard to justify a Windows OS license purchase in today's world.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2014, 17:40 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 12:16:
If Blue lived in Florida or Texas, I'd agree with you.

As a Texan, let me be the first to say to you; bless your little heart.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2014, 17:33 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 11:07:
Is everyone really ignoring my post about how they did this with Office and no one got conned into doing anything they didn't want to do, and that at a certain number of computers it's actually much cheaper to look at it as a service, but it's really aimed just at businesses?

No. I already mentioned that in my block about an enterprise subscription version.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
27. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 10, 2014, 13:23 Burrito of Peace

AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 13:03:
FYI, though, Psygnosis just published those insanely hard games, but they published plenty of easy stuff too. It was Reflections that actually MADE them.

Except for Brattacas. God damn, that game took me MONTHS to beat!

News Comments > Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week
5. Re: Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week Dec 10, 2014, 10:11 Burrito of Peace

Can I fly jumbo jets in to towering skyscrapers like I used to back in the day as a kid?  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 10, 2014, 05:34 Burrito of Peace

Maybe he can release an alpha product as a full price game and then say, 9 months later, "Haha, fuck you. We're dropping all support for the game"...again.  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2014, 19:02 Burrito of Peace

There's always the very capable Linux to go to if the new MS model doesn't suit your ethics or philosophy. Linux Mint, for example, is a very good stepping stone for long time Windows users to use to get the hang of a new OS.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2014, 12:40 Burrito of Peace

I can understand Microsoft's plans regarding the enterprise market. That makes loads of sense.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft doesn't just flatout give away the home OS. There is plenty of market delineation between the two that this would be possible.

For example, you can have the subscription based enterprise version that is better integrated with SCCM,OoB management, better underpinnings for VDIs, even tighter integration with Azure, Exchange and AD and other pro-business features that would solely be reserved for the enterprise edition while stripping out Media Player and other historically non-business related tasks.

On the consumer side, you can have the current general purpose OS that has the ability to tie in to OneDrive, an Office 365 sub, media extensions and that would be pretty much all you'd need for a home OS. Sure, you could include BitLocker in both versions if you wanted.

How many home users actually call MS for support in their very limited "Free" window? 5%? 10%? For the most part, support for the home user falls either on the OEMs or someone in the family or a friend so it's not like MS' support costs would suddenly skyrocket if they did give away the home OS.

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
26. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 12:06 Burrito of Peace

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 11:58:
It's 2014.

WHY IN THE FUCK ARE THERE STILL PEOPLE WHO EXIST THAT CANNOT TELL THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "YOUR" AND "YOU'RE"?! Holy fucking shit. It's not hard.

Or that "You" is a word whilst "u" is a vowel.

Too busy jerking it to how awesome they are after telling someone "QQ NOOB" I imagine.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
54. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 14:47 Burrito of Peace

Regarding the romance sub-game:

Look, I get this is an allegorical pre-Christian dominated western Europe. However, it is just that...pre-Christian. What's with the narrow, near puritanical ideals of "romance"?

For example, the whole romance sub-game absolutely insists on monogamy (that I have thus far experienced and saw in DA1 and DA2) yet there's Orlais, which is clearly based around 18th century enlightened France. As such, why can't I have a three-way with Vivienne and Justine? ESPECIALLY since it's really damn clear that Justine has character traits from De Sade's Justine character! Those two would absolutely be down with that since they're both nobility (as compared to the common schlubs in the rest of the game).

The whole mechanism seems forced and designed by someone who is incredibly sexually inexperienced or a 14 year old. It reeks of Harlequin romance novels and overwrought emotional Hallmark spew.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 7, 2014, 16:08 Burrito of Peace

I think it could be argued that, as a single title, Skyrim is one of the most, if not the most, successful RPGs of all time. It's funny how people respond when you don't make the game an on-rails narrative, create a fascinating and massively open world and fill it with locations and lore that make you, the gamer, want to go back time and again. Also, making it incredibly easy to mod was a big plus as well.  

News Comments > Dying Light Trailer
5. Re: Dying Light Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 10:29 Burrito of Peace

Wait...THAT'S the game that wanted to require 8GB of RAM and recommended 16? For THAT???? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It looks no better than Far Cry 3, the music is a straight up, Russian quality ripoff of the Mission Impossible score and the characters/storyline are Generic Evil Eastern European Gang Guy BUT WITH ZOMBIES AND MIRROR'S EDGE! OMGWTFBBQ! THIS IS TEH GREATUST GAME EVAR!!!!

The only thing this is pushing is stupid people to cough up cash for yet another Techland crapfest.

News Comments > King's Quest Trailer
4. Re: King's Quest Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 10:20 Burrito of Peace

007Bistromath wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 03:57:
...but by today's standards, Roberta Williams is kind of a hack all RPG narrative writers are hacks.

FTFY. Pretty much all the Western RPGs we love were knockoffs, re-imaginings or straight out retellings of Tolkein, Howard, Burroughs, Miller, Scalzi, Heinlein, Asimov or Haldeman.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
32. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 10:10 Burrito of Peace

Why isn't nin in here cheering the shit out of this game?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 5, 2014, 22:45 Burrito of Peace

BitWraith wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 09:53:
Man, Elder Scrolls ONline hans't come to consoles yet? I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed and since crashed into a glacier.

Shit, they already rescued Kate Winslet and let James Cameron make a movie about it.

News Comments > Dying Light Specs Scaled Back
7. Re: Dying Light Specs Scaled Back Dec 5, 2014, 22:39 Burrito of Peace

You know, I've got 32GBs of memory and even I thought the 16GB recommendation was stupidly asinine.

1728 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo