Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 1877 (Pro)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2015, 10:45 Burrito of Peace

Yeah, this absolutely sucks for those of us who use OpenDNS regularly. It was the one DNS service that I could trust to not log or redirect requests.

Hopefully we'll see a fork and a replacement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sorcerer King Next Month
1. Re: Sorcerer King Next Month Jun 30, 2015, 16:49 Burrito of Peace

Whar SoSE2? WHAR?!?!?!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 15:19 Burrito of Peace

If Bethsoft can get their Fallout 4 companion app working on both Android and iOS, why are Android users getting the shaft when it comes to Fallout Shelter?  

News Comments > Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware
8. Re: Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware Jun 14, 2015, 18:09 Burrito of Peace

Weren't these the cats that were allegedly working on a Syndicate reboot?

Or did it turn out to be that crappy FPS thing?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2015, 22:17 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 21:32:
Is it just me, or are transparent displays pretty limited in their utility.

Smart windows in buildings, vehicles (land, sea, air, and rail), portable, handheld, tablet style analyzers of all shapes and kinds, and this is a fundamental step toward wearable HUD technology that doesn't require vertical or rear projection.

News Comments > Galactic Inheritors Released
4. Re: Galactic Inheritors Released Jun 9, 2015, 22:39 Burrito of Peace

That looks remarkably amateurish.  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
15. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 7, 2015, 00:27 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 14:25:
@Burrito: Enemy Unknown didn't suck (despite having its flaws) even while also being developed for consoles. I often notice the consoleness of games developed for both, but didn't really for EU.

You are quite correct about EU not really being terrible and, in fact, I am doing a playthrough of EW right now. I was being snarky in my initial post.

However, the UI for EU/EW layout is very clearly done from the perspective of a controller. Is it usable with a mouse? Sure. Is it as effective as it could be? No. Moreover, increasing the resolution in game never gave you a lot of additional visual room, it just made the interface bigger. Yeah...that was helpful.

Build in to the fact that there was no overt mod support (Yes, I know about Long War), the base building part was a two axis affair because of console limitations and other little niggling things and it adds up. Was XCOM EU/EW good? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Yes. Could it be much, much better if it wasn't shackled to craptastic, two-generations-behind-consoles? Absolutely.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 13:57 Burrito of Peace

Because just saying "We didn't want it to suck" would have made for a very short article.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 6, 2015, 10:02 Burrito of Peace

I genuinely wish they had a demo.  

News Comments > Desura & Indie Royale Parent Bankrupt
13. Re: Desura & Indie Royale Parent Bankrupt Jun 6, 2015, 09:13 Burrito of Peace

TheLeech wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 07:59:
Esoteric wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 02:05:
Nucas wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 01:31:
NamecaF wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 22:13:
Kythlyn wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 19:29:
I wonder what's going to happen to Desura. If the digital distribution platform is taken offline, and everyone loses their libraries, it won't be pretty. This might turn into a small preview of the Steampocalypse.

I've been saying this for years. People prefer ignorance and "convenience" though

some latent part of me still feels this way but, really, this is like not using gmail because you're just anticipating google goes under and takes all your email with it. how likely do we think this is going to be after 11 years of the platform being the center of the pc universe?

just as soon worry about the inevitability of resource depletion and electricity failure preventing you from playing games, too.

Haha, you suckers, playing your "video games" that need electricity. Once the power goes out, I'll still have my table top games I can play. You guys are a bunch of suckers!

Haha, you suckers, playing your "table top games" that need tables. Once you burn your tables for your cook fires and heating, I'll still have my rocks I can play with in the dirt. Suckers...

Haha, you suckers, playing with your "rocks" that need dirt. Once we all lose our jobs because they're being done by robots and you've built your hovel out of those rocks, I'll still have my imaginary friends to play with. Crazy

News Comments > Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy Launches
10. Re: Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy Launches Jun 5, 2015, 14:02 Burrito of Peace

So I am two hours in and this is my first off the cuff opinion:

Pros
  • It's fairly easy to understand and uncomplicated.

• Tactics actually matter.

• The music is decent.

• True 3D, multiplane movement and range of motion.

• You can create your fleet formation before starting combat.

• Multiple ship classes enable you to create true fleets of complimentary roles instead of just a collection of ships.

• Cons
  • The writing is terrible, like the sci fi story you wrote in Grade 6 terrible. Awful and painful.

• The graphics are definitely outdated and lagging. Very fuzzy and a lack of definition.

• The weapons don't really have a lot of punch to them. In this I mean it doesn't feel like you're firing off heavy ship based weapons. Missiles, in ratio to your ship, are hilariously huge while beam weapons are almost comically small.

• Standard mission fare; blow these ships up, rescue that ship, etc.
  •  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2015, 09:15 Burrito of Peace

Bell Media president is about to get a lesson in market forces.

Also, this was hilarious: "It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix..."

"Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder."

There is zero social stigma around bypassing bullshit, artificial restrictions setup by myopic retards to deny choice in favor of their own profit.

News Comments > Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy Launches
    8. Re: Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy Launches Jun 4, 2015, 23:48 Burrito of Peace

I'll be trying it tomorrow morning. It's going to take me all night to download.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    14. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2015, 19:35 Burrito of Peace

I know Kosinski wanted to do a Black Hole remake based on the success of Tron.

I doubt that will ever see the light of day, now.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 25, 2015, 00:47 Burrito of Peace

AMD won't go under for a very specific reason, one that happened before when Intel was facing down a monstrosity of monopoly lawsuits.

Intel.

Intel has, previously, very quietly floated AMD loans and, in some cases, outright grants. It is in Intel's best interest to keep AMD alive as a shield, as it is cheaper than combating a litany of global anti-trust, monopoly and anti-competition lawsuits globally. Remember, Intel is a company that has 10 billion dollars in liquid assets in a "war chest".

I also do not believe that Intel is going to let the x86 business dwindle and die. If they were, they would not be pouring a nearly obscene amount of cash and resources in to Skylake. Remember that Skylake is intended to scale from massive enterprise compute clusters all the way down to phones and tablets. I was recently able to test drive some Skylake based laptops and tablets. I was incredibly amazed. Battery life measured in days, not hours. 4K graphics from embedded GPUs that were more than serviceable for the average consumer and QPI...QPI everywhere.

News Comments > Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn
    14. Re: Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn May 21, 2015, 17:46 Burrito of Peace

The last really good arcade racer that I played the Hell out of Midnight Club: LA on the 360. My friends and I played that for thousands of hours on Live.

If this is like that experience, where the drifting was goddamned near perfect with a balance between weight shift, traction loss, and torque, then I can definitely see myself picking this up.

There are plenty of sim racers already out there that do a fine job. Arcade racers, not so much. The last decent, but not great, was the original Forza Horizon. Horizon Two was a massive step back.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2015, 08:19 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2015, 18:22:
    And MS can get away with this where Aero couldn't because...?

Money. Lots of it.

News Comments > Blade & Soul Coming West This Winter
    9. Re: Blade & Soul Coming West This Winter May 20, 2015, 23:22 Burrito of Peace

When I worked at NCsoft, we saw this about 8 years ago at a company meeting that was held in a church not far from the offices, I think. Their promo video for it was incredibly creepy to say the least, even internally. It spent an uncomfortably inordinate amount of time focusing on the legs and back ends of the female characters.

Internally, we dubbed it "Ass and Thighs".

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
    29. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 16, 2015, 00:35 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2015, 20:45:
    That it's Windows only is not surprising considering linux GPU drivers suck...

The do? Maybe for AMD. The last three Nvidia driver blobs for Linux have run like their hair is on fire. If someone is using Noveau, they're goddamned idiots.

1877 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo