Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
2. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Jul 31, 2011, 12:54 Rockn-Roll

I think technical companies should never let sales and marketing employees post anything like this...it's just totally wrong. Ever since the late 90's every single installation of a DirectX minor version has been backward compatible with all other previous minor versions. And, for the most part, major versions have been backward compatible with previous major versions. The exceptions have been when directX went from 7 to 8 when the entire library was rewritten in order to integrate Visual Basic and C++ interfaces to facilitate the soon at that time to be released common runtime library.

The REAL reason for requiring every game to install DirectX/.net/Direct3D is because some game developers have programmers who don't have the talent to accomplish goals within the existing defined library and who use undocumented interfaces or just plain hacks which not only require a specific version of a library, but the exact binary that was used to develop the game.

The whole intent of DirectX is to provide a unified interface and runtime. This is an example of how development companies who hire untalented individuals, because they are willing to accept extremely low wages, are hurting the entire industry. Pony up the money you cheap skates...developers like myself with nearly 30 years of experience cost an average of $50 per hour...which is why you rarely see someone like me working for a gaming company. I normally can only find jobs on the big expensive projects where government is concerned or the penalty of failure for a project is high.

For example, my last job was with IBM on the State of Californai Child Welfare project...their contract was ending and were in danger of losing the bid for continuation...they hired me to improve the application and support...which I accomplished...then they fired me and hired two lower paid developers to replace me. My last communication with my ex-supervisor there indicated that they were struggling again...trying to do with three people what I was doing myself with lots of down-time to play ping pong and such. In every situation I've been in...hiring cheap labor has always hurt the client and customers...when are the people with money going to lean?

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC This Fall
24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC This Fall Jul 27, 2011, 06:25 Rockn-Roll

It looks like GBX noticed that the vast majority of players who own COD or TF2 as well as DNF are still playing COD or TF2 as their multiplayer platform. Having played the single player DNF and sampled the multiplayer DNF there is no desire to switch from our addiction of COD or TF2 multiplayer for a multiplayer experience that we grew out of 12 years ago.

As for DNF being good or bad...it's all subjective. DNF is a good game...at least I have not experienced any game crashes or technical flaws. The game really does have a 1990's game design...where the goals are nothing more than go from point A to point B so you can achieve some unrelated goal and see what the next section has in store, but we all knew that going into the game.

Would another Duke game be worthwhile to produce? Sure! But, only if it's story and gameplay design is richer and more polished than DNF. Instead of loads of one liner jokes...there should be at least one or two in each section that actually pertain more to the Story. The one liners in DNF are just jokes with one or two Gameplay related quips thrown in. DNF was a good attempt...and I am really glad that GBX et. la. finished the game for us. And, it does look like the revenue did pay all expenses and made a buck or two.

But, let DNF fade away...the horse made it out of the barn...we rode it for the fox hunt...caught the foxes and laid them...and the horse made it back to the barn. We can pull that horse out of the barn and chase some foxes every now and then for the grins. But, trying to keep the hunt going continuously with DLCs for a decade's old game platform just isn't going to work. Instead of developing another DLC GBX et. la. should start work on a sequel, prequel, or whatever.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
289. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 21, 2011, 04:39 Rockn-Roll

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 21:13:
Origin is really not that bad though. A lot of hate comments about it are rooted in the past when it was the EA Download Manager.

I honestly have never used Origin...I believe I installed the EA download manage only once, but uninstalled it immediately after I was seeing some instability in my system...I eventually had to perform a reformat and reinstall of everything except for the download manager and everything ran smoothly from then on.

(don't tell me you can block patches, you can't really)

No...apparently StingingVelvet can't block patches. But Rockn-Roll can...and I can teach anyone to do it too, but not everyone can learn how...again...apparently. It's very simple really. All you need to do is backup the game when you first install it. Set Steam to be offline then uninstall the game and then you can reinstall the game in it's original version anytime you wish. You can do the same with every patch that comes out. You can backup after each and every patch to have every version there was...and the offline mode blocks patches.

What can you do with previous versions of multiplayer games? Not much really...well...all you can really do is host your own LAN parties because if you try to go online with an unpatched version then Steam will force you to patch it...it's called client security and Steam has it for us honest gamers...it's a feature to prevent hackers from joining games with unpatched exploit-ridden clients.

Steam is better, sure, but Origin is not some terrible trip to the dark ages like Games for Windows Live is.

If Origin allows players to block patches to their clients and then join multiplayer games with known exploits still in place then it's not something I would want to use. But, I actually don't think that was what you were trying to say...maybe you don't really know yourself...you probably just heard something about not being able to block patches and just brought it up as a stab at Steam as it if was a shortcomming.

I've been involved in Steam vs. discussions for years and the only valid problem I know is from low bandwidth players who can't play for a couple of days when a patch comes out. Well...guess what? Valve just fixed that and now there is no valid complaint against Steam...it's the best service and it's free. Every complaint (including patch blocking) are just players that don't know how to use the service to their full advantage or (like with patch blocking) are wanting to use exploits and Steam isn't letting them.

Let's Rock!

282. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 20:57 Rockn-Roll

Games used to run on DOS...there was an objection in 1995 about games that would only run on Windows. Developers actually delivered two versions of their games for like 3 years as I recall...an installer for DOS and another for Windows. But, that all changed when Windows 98 was released...developers only provided windows installers. The game could still be run from a DOS prompt, but many games required Windows because Windows 98 included a single point programming interface for keyboard, mouse, joystick, and most important of all network & internet.

In the DOS days developers had to design and develop their own keyboard, moust, joystick, and network components...or purchase the components from a 3rd party like kali. The same is true with Steam...the client has loads of features that developers would need to design and build themselves or purchase from a 3rd party...the most important of these features are product distribution and upgrades, market security...anti-pirate and anti-cheat components, social networking, server listing and client/server matching, achievement storage and processing, free storage of the customers settings and yes...full access to all the games they own on the service no matter where they are. I believe most of these are free to all developers and perhaps all free to independent developers.

The only reason that developers, like EA, are trying to run a similar product (and yes...there must always be a client component of some kind even if it's hidden from you) is because they think there's money in it. People who think that don't know their history...loads of these services have tried and failed to make any money on this kind of distribution service...many of them charging their customers even. The fact is that Steam is just keeping itself going...doing well yes, but it's by no means an oil gusher.

It all comes down to control and marketing. EA wants to deny us and other developers the features that Steam provides just for the marketing strategy...they believe if they could pull off a Steam like client then they would get a bigger market share of gamer attention. That is so far from the truth...have they not learned from Microsoft? Providing an inferior product (as all are...since Steam provides everything and more) is a sure way to create gamer hate. I don't know of any PC only gamers that would touch a game that requires Windows (xbox) Live. And, when you think about it console gamers are doing a lot more than running a client...they are running an entirely different computer system...which they actually are charged for!

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2011, 11:36 Rockn-Roll

Thanks blue...this happens like once a year and started like what...5 years ago? I always think your site has been hacked when I get a popup asking to scan my computer. When you find out who's doing it then please let us know so we can help you with some consumer support. Whoever it is must be total morons because with all the hacking of gaming sites they have to know that would be our first suspicion. Why would they sabbotage their advertisements? It doesn't make sense...something must be happening on their end that they aren't telling anyone.  

Let's Rock!

29. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:29 Rockn-Roll

This really does prove without a doubt that EA is willing to backstab previous partners and make distribution deals which consumers see as a violation of their freedoms. I honestly don't know why the developers of a product would deny a distributor to sell their product except as a political statement...it's obvious that they will lose money over this...perhaps a lot of money...I for one will not purchase BF3 because of this...and never another EA game from now on unless EA changes their aggressive policies. The strange thing is that the only message I am seeing is that EA wants to put steam out of business by denying some consumers their product. I don't see any valid complaint against Steam. In fact, the only complaints I hear is from companies trying to copy their success and failing because Steam is too beneficial...it's very hard to take business away from Steam because it's a product made by gamers for gamers and not intended as a cash business...it's a product that benefits consumers more than developers...no wonder EA wants to put it out of business.

EA is apparently overrun by idiots because this is only going to create bad press and bad feelings from consumers who are going to ask, "if EA is backstabbing their partners and hurting consumers then if we let them be the sole distributor of our games then they will do the same to us." For example EA might just start distributing parts of games...like the first 25% of a game for $25 then if you want to play the next 25% you need to pay an additional $10...kinda like the DLC trend we see but marketed toward better revenue for distributors and less for the developers. Another might be making us pay to be BETA testers even though the developer wants to make it free. If EA was the sole distributor then they could force developers to make games the way they want.

Another example is that EA would put a time limit on how long a title would be available on their service...they probably don't like the idea that a consumer could be playing their games 20 years from now and not buy a new one because the old ones still keep them entertained.

And, the truth is that requiring consumers to install and run a client is not just Steam...everyone does it...they just call it something different, a download manager, a verification or validation service, etc...other distributors are just trying to be clever and hide the code that runs on our computers, but I guarantee that consumers have to download and run something before they can play a game...even if it's been patched into the game itself. Developers who don't want to take over as distributor see Steam as a total blessing...a service which eliminates their need to market a product themselves so that they can focus on their product and make it the best that they can.

"competitive alternative"? Where's the competition? It's just EA sitting in the gaming pit by themselves and not allowing their stated competitor into the pit. EA must think we are stupid.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging
33. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 15:53 Rockn-Roll

LOL @ "suprise"

It's been like that for some time...at least account wise. A GFWL account is the same thing as an XBox.com account. I remember going through a hassle with BioShock 2 and trying to get support for GFWL and being directed to XBox.com forums and it accepted my GFWL account (and of course presented the store page and tried to make it my browser's home page as if purchasing console games was the main priority in my life).

GFWL should never have been approved by gaming companies who wanted to keep their PC game customers. Microsoft must have provided unprescedented incentives for companies to snub Steam and go with a buggy console port. Now more than ever game companies should realize that GFWL is going to die at some point and not be supported which means their games will stop working and their customers will be very angry.

I think any game which uses GFWL from now on is basically saying that they don't care about their PC gamers. I bet most game companies think it would be so much better if we all just bought console systems and stopped using PCs as a gaming platform...at least that's what it looks like to me. An example of this message is that game companies are now developing for console systems then porting the code to the PC. In otherwords the largest development effort is made to make the game work good on consoles...then hacked to work on the PC.

In my expert opinion, with nearly 30 years of software development, this is backwards from how the game design should be approached. PC systems are not locked into specific hardware or software platforms which means that the application designs need to be engineered to be more general in their application...including the narrow requirements of console systems. Once the general design has been written and working then the code doesn't need to be changed at all to support console systems because the design already allowed for it.

When games are developed first for the narrow requirements of consoles then ported to the PC then some of the PC features are buggy or won't work at all...the most obvious is the graphics output or more specifically the selection of resolutions supported. It is rare to find a game that actually supports native multi-monitor widescreen internally. I think just 2 of the 50 modern games I own support my native Windows 5040x1050x32 resolution on the Matrox Digital TH2Go with three widescreen monitors. All the rest are like 3840x1024 or some such and most of them had to be patched for that resolution or was just being faked by zooming the output and cutting off the top and bottom of the output which causes the very unpleasant tunnel vision.

As for the comments about Steam...if any of you were around at the time...then you would remember the services which rose and fell in an attempt to provide multiplayer connectivity. Some of the major services were Kali, Gamespy, mPlayer, Total Entertainment Network (TEN), HEAT, and World Opponent Network (WON). Almost all game companies at that time had to build their own connectivity for their multiplayer games...these services were linking with the games through commandline parameters, scripts, or just plain hacks. Steam was just another service, but with some very big differences...it was free! And, Steam provided game developers with an Application Programmer Interface (API) so that they could cleanly use the system. Nobody was complaining at all when Steam was first available...just the opposite...we were all burned by the thousands of dollars we poured into those other services just for them to fail later. Nobody really knew if Steam would stay alive (especially since it was free), but at least it was risk free. Some games continued to provide built-in connectivity...for example idsoftare games...while others went with gamespy arcade or GFWL. But, of those services there is only one of them that I am now sure will always be there for us...Steam...made by gamers for gamers.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2011, 16:24.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
29. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 26, 2011, 04:04 Rockn-Roll

I don't see anything desperate...it's a standard marketing tool for subscription model businesses. Blizzard may just be reacting to the EVE players who are quiting that service.

Yes...there is no way that someone is going to reach level...what is it now...80?...in a month. However, one major problem is that in order to really have fun you need to have friends to team up with. This means that the veteran will likely create a new character...and perhaps a couple more friends...and go through the original quests. The problem is that going through the original quests will most likely be very boring to the veterans...and will already have lots of stuff for their new characters and most likely will earn the most stuff. The veterans will have to sacrifice their fun...both in the higher level game areas as well as allowing the n00bs to gain some stuff. Charity only goes so far...at some point the veterans will want to go back to the more exciting activities with their higher level characters.

What will the n00bs do? Pay for a few more months perhaps...get bored...find real lives...get TF2 which is 100% free. In the end...when all is said and done...I think Valve will remain the gamers friend just like they started out as. A bit sappy, but that's the world we live in.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar
28. Re: EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar Jun 25, 2011, 14:03 Rockn-Roll

Jonny wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 11:40:
ISK is Eve's currency, and they have an entire division set up to audit players accounts. Mysterious mass transfers of ISK get flagged and investigated.

Step 1. Player 1 transfers Real Money to Bank Account of Player 2. CCP has no way of knowing about this information.
Step 2. Player 2 gives in-game items to Player 1 for zero ISK or maybe a few thousand ISK or 1 PLEX or whatever just to make it look good. No flags...no concern...no investigation...business as usual.
Step 3. Player 2 pays his rent & utilities, makes his car payments, buys food & clothing, etc. Again CCP has no way of knowing about this information.
Step 4. Player 2 takes some of that money and purchases EVE online time and/or PLEX and purchases in-game items and plays the game...a lot. This is the only thing that is in large quantaties...the real money goes to CCP and the player spends a lot of time playing EVE. Do you really think CCP is going to investigate this activity and stop this player from playing EVE?

Everything in Eve can be traded on the market, there are no Bind on Pickup items like there are in other MMO's.

I don't know exactly what a "Bind on Pickup" item is...unless that's just a fancy way of saying that items can't be found in-game like with WOW.

Sink real money into Eve in large amounts and you will lose it. I'd be very surprised if anyone who bought the monocles have done on any toon that will leave a station, because if they show up on your avatar in local there will be a fight to blow your ship up and kill your character.

Maybe the game mechanics of EVE are totally escaping me, but isn't the battles the essential fun part of the game? I think what you are missing is that there are people that have disposable income...like in the tens of thousands of dollars of income each month. These people spend like half of that on entertainment...yes it's usually hot cars, hot girls, and lavish accomodations. But, a growing number are delving into hours of MMORPGs and yes at thousands of dollars a month. And, no they don't care if they lose the characters...they are there for the entertainment of watching the battles and stuff.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar
23. Re: EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar Jun 25, 2011, 11:08 Rockn-Roll

I think the whole reason I never became interested in MMORPGs is due to what I consider economic cheating...where in-game characters can be created from scratch and immediately be leveled-up to be more powerful than in-game characters who have been in the game since day 1 and the real players have spent thousands of hours of gameplay building them.

In my opinion it doesn't matter how the immediate level-up is accomplished...whether it's purchased with real money, an exploit of an in-game bug, or using bots/hacks...it's still a cheat. It effectively makes actual game experience and talent worthless when a new player can start with characters/items which are equal to characters/items that have been in the game since day 1.

Also, in most MMORPGs in-game items and character levels are achieved by winning battles, not by losing...if this is not true of EVE then this doesn't apply. But, if new players can buy-in with a top level character then players with less real money who are trying to earn the items through playing the game (the whole point of many MMORPGs) will have less difficulty because they will be fighting against those new players who though they don't have any skill are able to beat them down and prevent them from the fun activity of gaining levels/items simply because their character levels/items are more powerful.

I'm also finding it hard to understand the EVE economy. Some of you have explained a few things like real money can buy game time and applied directly to the player's account or added to the in-game economy as something called PLEX. It also sounds like there's something called ISK which can be created within the game and then traded in-game for PLEX which can then be applied to another player's account. It also sounds like both ISK and PLEX can purchase in-game items. And, those in-game items, as well as ISK and PLEX, can be sold by players at any price they choose...maybe even given away. I'm very sure that enterprising individuals have been selling ISK, PLEX, and in-game items for real money...there is absolutely no way for CCP to know (if it's done right).

It appears that the only difference now is that CCP is selling in-game items itself and in clear view. What isn't clear is whether the prices they are offering for those items are the same as what players are offering similar items for.

But, what is clear is that with prices so high it is a very big incentive for players to under-bid CCP by just enough to convince players to purchase the items through them and make as much or more real money from the game as the developers. The expected result? Players that don't even have enough real money to purchase the discounted items will be frustrated and quit. Players that have the money will make it available to players that sell items for real money and make it really worthwhile (like in the tens of thousands of dollars) to cheat...even making a living at it.

It will be interested to see what happens to EVE this time...especially given the long history of EVE's poor PR from previous debacles.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
23. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 23, 2011, 23:51 Rockn-Roll

Interesting comments. As with all versatile moddable multiplayer games with dedicated servers the experience very much depends on the server. Find yourself a server where your ping is less than 100 or at least no more than 200 and has no gameplay changing mods. There's lots of the out there. In the US SourceOP.com servers are very popular and have like a dozen servers running vanilla maps & gameplay or only slightly modified for example reduced respanwn timers. I play on TheVille.org servers because everyone there likes the vanilla gameplay and vanilla maps. Just find the right server.

As for the Pay to Win comment...the unlocks are the only weapons that really make the biggest difference. The Heavy's standard minigun is still the best offensive weapon for the Heavy, and the Sandvich is the best secondary imho. I'm still using the standard pipebomb gun for the demoman, the standard uber medigun for the medic, the standard rocket launcher for the soldier, etc. In fact, for most of the classes at least one of the weapons is a nerf of some kind...like until recently the Pyro backburner couldn't blow back rockets or pipes & stickies so the stock flame thrower was the best.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Betting on Duke Pays Off
4. Re: Betting on Duke Pays Off Jun 18, 2011, 15:42 Rockn-Roll

Amazing...I didn't have the cash at the time or I would be one of those lucky losers pwners.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible
75. Re: QUAKE Jun 18, 2011, 00:08 Rockn-Roll

Yeah...the grappling hook was awesome...I liked grappling in the upper corner of the capture room then switching to the rocket launcher and wait for enemies. They soon figured out where I was and rail me if I stayed put, but the key is to move around and hang in a different place each time. Grapple hook was especially handy for the two towers map (I think it was called two towers) because a skilled flag carrier could grapple all the way from the enemy capture area to the home capture point with the flag without touching the ground...nearly eliminating any splash damage and providing a challenge to all other weapons fire.

Do you remember the Lithium mod for Quake? Runes were added that provided a temporary boost of speed, damage, damage resistance, and the 4th I think invisibility. It was the first introduction of what we now call power-ups...which were a main-stay of Quake 3 Arena especially CTF.

I remember that CTF was such a popular mod that when it was released the deathmatch servers shrank from 100% full servers to less than 10% half-full with almost everyone in the CTF servers on nearly every service. Of course that only lasted for a few months until Team Fortress was introduced, but even then there were at least 25% CTF servers still running while TF servers were like 70%. Most clans still competed in CTF as well as TF. Of course threewave CTF really improved the game by restricting weapons and ammo instead of everyone having all weapons and lots of ammo to start.

We will never have that experience again, but if Quake would go back to the basic FPS for multiplayer then perhaps the free-for-all deathmatches as well as threewave-style CTF would rule again.

Let's Rock!

57. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 19:10 Rockn-Roll

The dragon did get included as the final boss by Rogue in Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity.

As for what exactly Romero is credited for see the following URL: episodes_maps.html Yes, he was a main designer for Quake, and did some good work, but when it came down to crunch time he was playing instead of working. When I spoke to Romero at E3 in 1999 he did admit to playing when he should have been working, though he also indicated that there were other factors for his leaving such as different creative direction as someone pointed out he wanted some RPG elements...which I think found themselves in Deus Ex. Of course the only ones that truly know what happened are Romero, the Carmacks, Cloud, and Willits. American McGee and especially Sandy Petersen most likely were also aware of what happened since it looks like they filled in for Romero and helped finish Quake.

I think it would be great if the Carmacks and Romero were to reunite for a Quake reboot. I think that would be just the thing for Romero to get interested in doing some more programming and mapping. However, I doubt that Adrian Carmack would be willing or able to return after John, Kevin Cloud, and Tim Willits et la "forced him out" just 6 years ago. At least Romero's departure has been a decade and a half ago and perhaps all parties have been able to recover from the bad feelings enough to give it another go. But, id does have some excellent talent working for them even if Romero or Adrian don't return and a Quake Reboot would be a fun game as long as it's not just a PC port of a console game which unfortunately it looks like is the direction that idsoftware is moving toward.

Let's Rock!

32. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 14:18 Rockn-Roll

Some of you need to play Quake again. I have it on Steam and play it almost every year during a weekend of gaming when I run through the entire Doom & Quake series then finish with the Half-Life series.

Enemy's just stand there? Well...some of them like the grunt, enforcer, Rotfish, Scrag, Zombie, and Vore moved very slowely, and the bosses didn't move at all. However, the Rottweiler, Knight, Fiend, and Death Knight moved quickly plus the Spawn was extremely quick and if you didn't kill it while it was waiting to pounce then it was almost impossible to beat.

"no atmosphere, plot or coherence"? It was all about atmosphere, plot and coherence...that's what made it totally different from Doom...instead of a soldier battling through hell it was a space marine battling aliens and the maps, textures, and enemies brought it out for us to experience.

Actually, Romero didn't do much work on Quake...he was tapped out after Doom 2 and mostly just played instead of worked...that was why he was dropped from id which was ironic because he essentially was the one who initially got everyone together. American McGee, Tim Willits, and Sandy Petersen did most of the mapping on Quake. He is a genius though...but as with most geniuses he is prone to addictions and his anethma is gaming, playing not working. I'd like to see him return to mapping because his maps were very good and the secrets plentiful and fun to discover.

A reboot of Quake hopefully will be without vehicles...more FPS and less cut-scenes. If the maps are interesting with challenging monsters and a decent goal (even if it's just to make it to the exit) then there doesn't need to be a deep story. That's the beauty of Quake...you aren't sitting there watching a story or interacting with characters...you spend 99% of the time shooting. Secret hunting and puzzle solving is mostly optional, but very rewarding which makes replaying Quake a lot of fun and different each time it's played.

There's also the mission packs to be considered...Hipnotic and Rogue really expanded the Quake universe. I think the best weapon upgrade was Lava Nails...I get a kick out of asking for Lava Nails at the hardware stores because I normally get a very serious reply that they had heard about them but don't carry them.

But, as was already said...id needs to finish RAGE and Doom 4 first otherwise the project will be contracted out again and I think everyone agrees that the in-house id games are much better than any of the contracted games.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam
54. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 14:04 Rockn-Roll

GamesIndustry.biz has a quote from EA saying that they aim to be, "the worldwide leader in digital publishing". I think that says it all...apparently EA has used Steam to leap frog into digital distribution. This has nothing to do with NDAs or in-game sales. It sounds like it's a violation of the Federal anti-trust laws which prohibit competition between manufacturer and distributor.

It's sometimes easier to have an example. For instance let's say a grocery store chain was distributing a product on their shelves. The store has to purchase the product from the manufacturer before they can put it on their shelves. Then customers go into the store and pull the product off the shelf then walk to the cashier and pay for it.

What EA is doing is like making a second product, but instead of selling it to the store to put on the shelves so that the store gets a piece of the revenue they are sticking it inside the product box and standing outside the store and trying to sell unlock codes for the second product. The store is distributing a product for free. But, as I pointed out...this is only a symptom of the real problem.

The real problem is that not only are they standing outside and selling products that the store is distributing for free, but EA is trying to sell products from other manufacturers before the customers ever get into the store. Effectively stealing sales from the stores. Steam wisely gave EA the boot...at least with Crysis 2...but that is only treating the symptim. If Steam wants to solve the problem they should pull all EA games from Steam and force EA to take over distribution immediately. And, follow up with a breach-of-constract suit to avoid any retaliation from EA.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > RAGE Changing Windows
13. Re: RAGE Changing Windows Jun 16, 2011, 13:37 Rockn-Roll

The problem is FPS locking. If they would just make it go away then we would be back to the super smooth competition grade performance that we had in the late 90's. I remember getting a typical 160FPS from Quake 2 and once in a while it would drop down to 43FPS in certain spots on some maps...the same with Quake 3. I hardly noticed.

The solution of making our $2,000 systems act like a console is stupid. For a decade PC gamers have become accustomed to lag which causes the FPS to drop...making the action jerky. We recognize it and can play through it because we have the necessary experience to cope with it. We will get the same result from internet lag because with internet lag the frame just won't change which is exactly the same as lowering the FPS.

They have already locked out FPS and now they are going to make it so that our gaming experience is obsolete...we will have to start over with console-like experiences. Carmack makes it sound like there will just be a little 1/16" (1 mm) tear at the top of the screen, but that is only the way it starts. Tears normally proceed to a full 1/3 of the screen in a diagonal and makes it so that there's no way at all to tell what's going on. At least with a lowered FPS we can extrapolate where the other players are going to be.

I think with this one step PC gaming is going to be a horrible experience for anyone that doesn't have the newest hardware. Anyone getting the tearing will be pwned.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 13:07 Rockn-Roll

*** Happy Birthday ***

(damage-free post)

Let's Rock!

News Comments > BioShock 2 Minerva's Den This Month
5. Re: BioShock 2 Minerva's Den This Month May 18, 2011, 01:26 Rockn-Roll

A Bioshock 2 DLC? It would be great if it wasn't for the fact that it's GFWL...which means many of us including myself cannot use the automatic download because we edit the Security Profile and turn off access to our PCs from the network in order to prevent a hacker from taking over our computers. If GFWL didn't use hacker procedures for it's PC networking then there would be a lot less hate toward them. Sure...we can open up our PCs to hackers for an hour or so in order to get the DLC, but that's risking our entire computer systems being compromised...not going to happen on my watch.

And, it's still my opinion that if a game doesn't use Steamworks then I'm likely to pass it up unless it is so good that it scores a 100 (or better) metascore...and that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
35. removed May 16, 2011, 16:42 Rockn-Roll

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 16, 2011, 17:16.

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo