Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
30. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 23:16 Rockn-Roll

This is just more EA propaganda. keep in mind everything that EA has said in the last few months and you will see that the meaning is clear that EA has no clue that their attempt to become the #1 games client (destroying Steam's dominance) will fail. Why? Look at what they are saying about downloads, margins, and free-to-play...translation, "We will get them addicted to Origin with free games and then charge more for AAA titles and Down-Loadable Content." OMG! They are just looking at Steam and want to copy it...what a bunch of losers. I don't believe I've ever seen a company throw away their money for a lost cause as much as EA is doing in their bid to get their advertising client onto our computers.

What does this mean to us? If we want an EA game then we will have to use origin and there will be free games available on origin to entice us to switch from Steam to Origin. I suppose the next EA messages will be that they will distribute any indie game for free or some such thing that Steam already does.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
29. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 12:34 Rockn-Roll

Well...there was a post in the Bethesda forums on this like at the beginning of the year, but I guess very few gamers actually checked.

Invalid Steam hate has increased:

Some posts in here complain about Steam requiring an internet connection but they don't have one. If they don't have an internet connection then how are they posting in this forum?

Some posts don't even know about the game itself as evidenced by their not knowing if RAGE has multiplayer.

Some posts indicate that they can't remember their Steam login. How do they remember their bluesnews login? Why don't they just set up Steam to remember their login?

One post indicates that they hate Steam so much they will buy the retail game and then never install it...and wait until they get the pirated version and claim that the illegal version is easier to install and play...what? To be honest I wouldn't know where to start to even find a pirated copy of a game which makes it nearly impossible to install or play...which proves a point I've made before that only the hackers/pirates hate Steam. To top that off...it was the stupid hackers/pirates that caused DRM to be necessary to begin with! Sorry, but hackers/pirates that complain about DRM just proves that they are stupid because it's their fault we have it.

I've had to use almost every DRM that has come out. SecureROM was the worst with limited # of installs and registry hacks that sometimes permanently damage a computer system. But Steam is the best...unlimited installs from anywhere, an offline mode that let's you be away from the internet, and installs from backups so you don't have to download again are just a couple of benefits.

However, these posts bring up one important benefit of distributing a game using Steam DRM...most of the active Steam users are not hackers/pirates because that class of gamer seems to hate Steam so much they avoid it like a plague. So, that makes Steam DRM more effective as it keeps the honest gamers honest.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
56. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 00:05 Rockn-Roll

I think some of you forget how Valve started. It was mostly Gabe Newell, a former Microsoft producer, who decided that he wanted to produce a game with Mike Harrington, a former Microsoft programmer.

The reason? They liked playing games.

Half-life was the game they were developing...it was the vision of those two people. But, they needed more than just one programmer and one producer. They needed to hire some programmers and artists. Back then there was no large labor pool of game programmers and artists like there is today. They needed to hire programmers and artists out of college...or try to hire the few programmers who have worked on games before.

John Cook and Robin Walker were two talented programmers that Valve hired for Half-Lfe. Team Fortress was not what Valve was interested in. Team Fortress Classic was mostly just a test of the game engine. They did work on Team Fortress 2 a little bit at a time, but what they really wanted was a military style shooter. And, Team Fortress was John and Robin's vision...they became part of Valve...so now Valve also has a vision of Team Fortress...it wasn't like a large corporation buying an IP so they can make money.

For their military style shooter they needed some more talented programmers. Again...their choices were to hire college grads will little or no experience or try to hire experienced programmers that worked on other games. Their selection? Again...they looked at the mod community and hired Jess Cliffe and Minh Le. However, in this case they didn't just use them to work on their military style game...they simply helped Jess and Minh to turn their mod into a full game! It was an inspiration and not some cold-blooded corporate investment-like decision to make money...Counter Strike was actually fun.

So...at the beginning it was some people that wanted to make games...they hired people that were already known for making games. If Valve had hired college grads then Half-Life and their military style shooter probably would not have done as well as they did. Plus, Team Fortress 2 may never have come to light...definitely not the loads of fun game that we now have available, and counter strike may have just passed on like so many other mods.

So, this announcement says to me that they want to change their focus from a total roll on the floor laughing game like TF2 to produce another military style game. They could just make something totally new and different. But, they like Counter Strike, and they know that lots and lots of gamers like it as well and would really enjoy upgraded graphics and such.

I'm sure Valve will come up with something totally new in the future, but right now they are having the most fun with TF2 and Counter Strike.

Oh...and it wasn't the cheating that turned me off on CS/CS:S. I played on a server that had exceptional admins and didn't tolerate hacks...I suspected many of them were real agents, military personnel, and officers. What turned me off was like a year after CS:S was released very young kids were playing it. And, almost every game had a couple of kids that kept insulting each other...a typical scenario was:

player 1: What? Are you gay?
player 2: No. You're gay.
player 1: Move over...you're in my way...gay.
player 2: Shut up.
player 1: You shut up...I was here first.
player 2: I was here before you.
player 1: No. I was.
player 2: What? Are you gay?

It was horrible when no admin was around...even when there was one kicking them didn't always work as they would just rejoin.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2011, 00:14.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
39. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 17:02 Rockn-Roll

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:40:
And I'm trying to get as many people to buy this game as I can. :)

This is just confusing. We are used to inuendo, reverse psychology, and bold faced lies. I keep reading this over and over and I keep figuring there's some hidden meaning in there like perhaps you are trying to get us to buy a game.

I actually thought DX:IW was a decent game...it kept me playing it all the way through. There was just a couple of places where the plot was too linear or the alternate choices too obvious. But, from all the trailers coming from Eidos I can see that DX:HR will not dissapoint me. And given the details they have provided for several sections of the game it is clearly going to be a nice long adventure with lots of replayability. Not like F3AR where being Fettel is relatively boring and all the cut-scenes are for his brother.

But, for me Deus Ex had the same feel as System Shock...not in the fear factor or course, but in the way the story kept you moving and when you moved the story would be rolling along with you. In DX:IW the story would stall and you could spend an hour just to get a small part of the story to get past a blockage, then spend 2 minutes on some section of the game and POW! the story jumps from 1/4 complete to 3/4 complete with the end in sight...like having to go around and collect 4 items and then doing something with them together. I find it more fun if the items do something other than just be an inventory item that needs to be in your pack.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 17:19.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch Notes
1. Re: World of Warcraft Patch Notes Aug 12, 2011, 16:50 Rockn-Roll

There's been enough of these that maybe WOW Patches should have their own section on bluesnews.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
108. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 16:44 Rockn-Roll

Bhruic wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 11:17:
Frankly, I've never really been sure why other publishers would go the Steamworks route in the first place. I guess once you have enough of your games on their, it might be worth it, but otherwise, you are just exposing your customers to all the competition. And basically having your game be an advertisement for Steam.

The main reason is time and money.

Let me provide a metaphore using the family home construction industry. In that industry houses are built using lumber and hardware. The home builder would never make any money if they had to design and manufacturer every screw, nail, 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, sheet rock, MDF panels, etc. A small single bedroom house by itself...without any consideration for the land that it's on...would cost about a million dollars and take perhaps a decade to build. It's a rediculous notion for a home builder to do that.

Heck...an even simpler comparison is an operating system. An operating system interfaces with various computer hardware. A developer doesn't "have" to use an existing operating system. They could distribute their software on bootable DVDs that includes their own operating system. Heck...they could even offer that operating system to other developers to use. The reason developers don't do that is because it's very expensive and time consuming to design and develop their own operating system...which includes developing drivers specific to their operating system...for all the hardware out there and would need to keep pumping out new drivers for new hardware that comes available.

And, for EA to spend the time and money...perhaps 1 year and 2 million USD for Origin...it is evidence that they didn't build Origin for just BF3 or just their games. They have not tried to hide the fact, and actually publicly announced in press releases, that they want to become the #1 online vendor of all games...this means putting Steam out of business...which could mean all the games we ever bought on Steam would be useless. It is in our own interst to support Steam.

EA is just the next company that has tried to sell their gaming client. This is not something new...ever since the first multiplayer game, for example Doom, developers have been trying to establish a gaming client. Most of them failed because they charged gamers a lot of money. Others failed because the client didn't have enough features, or didn't get updated to work with new games, and a better system was offered.

This quest for a gaming client mostly stopped when Steam became available. But, that didn't keep companies from trying to replace it with their own...especially after Steam grew in popularity and Steam's unique and risky business model proved profitable. Origin won't fail...just like many of the other attempts to surplant Steam have not failed; however, they only succeed in the games that they have convinced to use them and then no longer get any new games. Then EA will probably come up with something else to replace Origin...who knows what the future has in store for EA, but I highly doubt that it's going to be able to replace Steam.

All that will happen is gamers will be upset that a desireable game won't be on Steam. Gamers who really like the games that EA publishes will of course have to run Origin...unless/until EA's attempt at using Origin to make money doesn't succeed and they have to close down their servers. They will also run GFWL on games that require it. And, of course they will run Steam for the games that are available on Steam.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
88. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 00:44 Rockn-Roll

Fingers M wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:29:
Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is that EA is trying to copy Steam and replace it with an aggressive advertising application...they have tried something like this before.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
1. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Aug 11, 2011, 16:23 Rockn-Roll

WOW should go down on record for being the longest pay-for-beta game ever.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > North Korea Farming for Gold, Nukes, and Rolexes?
6. Re: North Korea Farming for Gold, Nukes, and Rolexes? Aug 9, 2011, 19:35 Rockn-Roll

It comes from the New York Times so it must be true? I'd believe aliens have landed before I believe that $6 million could be gleaned from Lineage.

Wikipedia indicates that Lineage has less than 1 million subscribers. And, what I've seen from these subscription numbers in other games only like 1% of them are putting any time or money into the game. So that news item is trying to say that around 10,000 gamers are giving $300 per year to those particular gold farmers? They couldn't have cornered the market completely...I mean wouldn't there be transactions which those gold farmers aren't a party to? Also, I doubt that there's 10,000 gamers in all of Korea who even have $300 to spend on food and clothing each year much less a video game.

If they are computer hackers then you can bet that they are getting the money by some other means...bank account hacks, email scams, etc. I'm surprised that I'm seeing this here...not that this is a fake news item, but it really has nothing to do with gaming other than that a group of computer hackers in North Korea have stolen over $6 million and in their spare time play Lineage.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Fray Interview
1. Re: Fray Interview Aug 7, 2011, 11:55 Rockn-Roll

Investors have no intelligence...turn-based? It's like a new FPS being developed that has the turn-based system that the original Bards Tale used. Essentially you press A to attack, D to defend, I to ignore, etc. Wow...pressing keys to prompts...sounds like fun.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Insert Provocative Headline Here
10. Re: Insert Provocative Headline Here Aug 7, 2011, 11:50 Rockn-Roll

Ellen McLain also does the announcer voice for TF2. Maybe it's TF3, or should I say, what TF2 was supposed to be...a military style shooter. It might even be a movie...Valve has been trying to develop more movie-like entertainment. Or maybe it's just the long anticipated Pyro movie and it will be finally revealed that the Pyro is a girl.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
125. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 08:22 Rockn-Roll

Acleacius wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 00:30:
It's really hard to believe some are supporting ea, look how they handled battlefield and battlefield 2. The support from them and their inability or refusal to address the cheating, speaks volumes about ea.

Perhaps EA is actually focused on marketing to the cheaters and hackers? I'm not a cheater or hacker, and perhaps your encounting problems with EA as well because you aren't one either. Hackers don't worry about a game being unstable because they simply reverse engineer it and fix the game themselves.

Acleacius wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 00:30:
Valve/Steam does not have those issues, ea doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as *Steam! If your supporting ea your either not paying attention to history or ignoring history. Well I guess ea could be paying you to be here saying nice things about them.

But, nobody really is saying anything nice about EA...all they are are doing is saying bad things about Steam. Do you honestly think there is even one good thing in what EA is doing? They are not only hurting gamers and developers, but also hurting themselves...it is a total lose-lose situation. Is EA really that stupid?

But, yeah...I agree with you...some gamers actually are supporting EA. But, I would bet that those same gamers are the ones that complain about Steam not allowing them to use executables that are different from what everyone else is using and thus not allowing them to use their hacked programs. The ones that complain that the Valve Anti-Cheat system is taking pictures of their gaming screen and not allowing them to play games that they purchased simply because they have replaced the graphics textures with see-through textures or running the graphics card in debug mode.

Perhaps EA's real agenda is hidden. Maybe their marketing is designed to get all the cheaters and hackers to join Origin and then when everything settles down they will provide the list to Interpol as suspected online terrorists. I doubt that anyone can make any sense about what EA is doing. All we can tell is that EA doesn't want to sell games through Steam and instead want to sell their own Origin system. And, from their tactics it seems likely that everyone that joins Origin will...in the near future...have to pay for the service in some way or another.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
124. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 08:02 Rockn-Roll

EA is so full of shista that it's becoming sick. Steam doesn't have any restrictions that I know of and provide lots of great tools for a developer to sell DLC within their game. The fact is that EA wants to use their Origin service to sell their games and wants Steam to distribute their Origin system free of charge. The fact is that EA simply needs to pay the fees like everyone else and use Steamworks like everyone else.

EA thinks they are so special, but they are just being idiots and denying millions of gamers the opportunity to play games which developers have worked very hard to deliver. If EA had their way then they would put Steam out of business and cause all the games we purchased through Steam to be lost. I think the underlying fact is that EA may have tried to buy out Steam and failed...so they are trying to create bad publicity for Steam, but fortunately we are too smart to fall for that crap. And, thanks to Bluesnews we are being kept up-to-date on EA's campaign of terror.

I just noticed that EA's digital distribution list only includes North America and Europe. So, EA not only is denying games to the millions of gamers that use Steam, but also the millions of gamers in Asia and Africa. I wish someone with a decade or two in marketing could explain why EA is doing this...because from my viowpoint as a gamer they appear to be committing suicide.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
68. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 6, 2011, 09:05 Rockn-Roll

I just got my email from EA saying that my EA account, which they have thrashed and modified several times already, is now called an Origin account. Now all I need to do is not access it for 24 hours and EA will hopefully delete it. Good riddance...my EA account has always been a nuisance anyway. The only reason I created it in the first place was to find help with their games that wouldn't work.

If I don't buy their games then I won't need their account...problem solved. But, I doubt that it will end there...they will most likely start sending me spam until I have to access their web site just to unsubscribe and then they will most likely consider that an access to their service and will not delete my account. EA/Origin might be very hard to wash off the gaming surface...hopefully with all the bad publicity no investors will want to give them any money and EA will eventually fold completely.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Tech 4 Source Release This Year
9. Re: Tech 4 Source Release This Year Aug 5, 2011, 14:20 Rockn-Roll

I might have to play with that engine for a bit. Doom 3 is becoming one of my all-time favorite games to play. The weapons and the feel of the controls...the lighting...it satisfies my FPS cravings like no other game before or since.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > WoW Drops More Subs
16. Re: WoW Drops More Subs Aug 4, 2011, 13:28 Rockn-Roll

I'm not a WOW player...never had been and never will. But, it seems to me that their problem is not content but changing content. I recall at least 20 "patches" for WOW which drastically changed the balance of the DLC so much that everyone must have become frustrated trying to figure out the changes.

The other thing I noticed when I watched a friend play WOW was that the graphics have lots of high resolution art but for the most part the majority of the textures are solid colors...like toys. I think if Blizzard wants to rejuvinate their player base and turn it around then they will need to develop an entirely new look...more artsy-crafty and less toy-like...for all the levels.

An example would be to wonder how players would feel if they bought Duke Nukem Forever only to find that they have to play through the original Duke 3D games before they are allowed to have fun with the new content.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
55. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:05 Rockn-Roll

I like playing the Harry Potter games...a decent change from my usual FPS fun. I noticed that the last HP game was out. But, due to the recent moves by EA to hurt gamers that use Steam I decided not to buy it...and I really wanted to too. I've purchased all the previous HP games...but apparently not going to play the last. EA sucks!!!

And, from now on EA will not see any of my money...and I don't care what game they are selling. It almost looks like the investors want to get their money back so EA is purposefully creating bad publicity so that they can file bankruptcy and have the government pay off the debts. I wish the US government had smart people running it because then they would have plenty of money to do what they were supposed to do in the beginning...which is to protect us from damages caused by bad people.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 18:40 Rockn-Roll

30 years would put that around 1981-2...about the time I started my computer programming career. I think it would be interested to see some of our resumes.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
13. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Jul 31, 2011, 16:27 Rockn-Roll

Bludd wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 14:07:
You should always install the DirectX that comes with the game you have bought even if it is a slightly older game.

While I agree with you on this...due to junior programmers hacking their way into the specific binaries.

Bludd wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 14:07:
Rockn-Roll is totally wrong. How McCaskey describes it is how DirectX works at the moment.

I am totally right in that developers like myself who stay within well documented DirectX functions that Microsoft says they will support in future versions do not need specific binaries. I have a DirectX graphics engine that I developed in 1997 which I started with DirectX 6.5 and finished using DirectX 7.0 works just fine with DirectX 11. So, while it does seem that the majority of developers aren't doing it right and need specific binaries for there code to work...that is not true of DirectX itself...you do not need a specific binary to develop excellent code which will work on future versions...all a developer needs to do is read the documentation, understand the implications, and stay within the scope of the available library.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
3. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Jul 31, 2011, 13:07 Rockn-Roll

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 12:50:
Always wondered about that. Anymore, I just hit cancel when they popup and the games run fine anyway.

You mean the games don't crash. The fact is that the runtime libraries have fall-back routines...when the runtime is first accessed by an application there are some tests performed to determine what features the runtime has available through a given interface. When a feature doesn't work right then the application simply calls a stub function which does nothing. It's transparent to normal users unless the game outputs an initialization log and you want to take a look. If you want all the features then you should allow the specific libraries to get installed.

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo