Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Trailer
157. Re: chainsaw Aug 1, 2004, 02:51 Rockn-Roll

Why the fuck would you bring a chain saw to Mars?

Er...uh...maybe...perhaps the demonic travel brochures depicted Earth (which is where the demons are eventually going) instead of just the Phobos base and thus they expected lots of trees. Or, uhm...like what NASA said about taking a pistol to the moon...it could be an emergency propultion device...start up the saw and place it on the ground and it will pull you along?

Well, I just don't think someone with a sawzall would be very scary. Come to think of it, it would scare the hell out of me to be sent to Mars and find out that some idiot had brought a chainsaw. "What did you bring that for?" Says the inspection Sargent. The marine pulls the well oiled unit out of the bag, sets the choke, and grabs the starter cord and says, "I'm glad you asked that question." Muhahaha.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

154. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 02:42 Rockn-Roll

As long as the game has the chainsaw in full glorious 3D and allows me to cut through some enemies with some satisfying end results, throw crap in the box and I'll still buy it!

You are the single player FPS game manufacturer focus man...keep fragging and they'll keep bagging. I feel the same way. I like playing Quake 3 CTF and Rocket Arena Tournament, but nothing makes me feel better than facing monsters who actually can lie in wait and anticipate what I'm going to do. Most live players just run in and start shooting...pretty stupid really. Doom3 AI is gonna rule.

Let's Rock!

152. Re: Hmm Aug 1, 2004, 02:34 Rockn-Roll

First thing's first, though. I need a demo. Considering the way Far Cry and Halo runs on my rig I may have to hold off on this.

id is currently working on the demo. My guess is two months before they can release something they are happy with; but, I don't know...perhaps they already have a level in mind and just need to package it properly. While you are waiting just think of the tens of thousands of gamers that are in Hell defending your sorry azz while you try to decide whether the game is worth it or not.

Let's Rock!

151. Re: Low expectations- High hopes! Aug 1, 2004, 02:30 Rockn-Roll

1. Scare factor - Will this be more than shadows? My top two "scare" games are System Shock and System Shock 2 respectively. It will have to beat those to scare.

I expect Doom3 to make those SS2 monkeys and crawly things look like a group of old women with nitting needles.

2. Gameplay - How creative will/won't the gameplay be? I just finished that %@%#$% Ultimate Doom collection and I have definitely mellowed a bit on the mindless action bit. I am not expecting a Deus Ex here, but I hope it is on par with Half-Life.

Yes, it does indeed look like there will be some interaction with the other non player characters throughout the game to keep the story alive...though the npc's may not make it.

3. The "Far Cry" factor. How big will the levels ultimately be and how creative (open ended) can my approaches be?

This is something that I am worried about myself. id has pushed the limit to make the levels as large as possible. Keep in mind that on ultra quality the graphics card that can run at that level of detail has not been made yet. And, a 64MB card is the minimum just to load up the low res maps. My guess is that there will be lots of detail and levels that are more than just two corridors. I too am hoping that the experience in Quake II is repeated to allow levels to be entered from different directions, and for them to be "open" like in Ground Zero when after lowering a bridge were able to freely move throughout over 1/2 of the levels in the entire game.

Also, I don't care how long the game is cause I'm gonna play it over and over for many years to come. Now that I have a graphics card and computer to handle Quake II on 1600x1200 with full detail I am having a great experience even though I have played the game through so many times before. I'm sure it will be the same with Doom3.

Let's Rock!

147. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 02:15 Rockn-Roll

I duh thunk wez beez sayz f3h 2 U!

Dude, you've been playing Thief3:Deadly Shadows too long man. Put away your arrows and sheath that dagger. Doom3 has a Big Fucking Gun (BFG) (excuse the language, but that is indeed the name of the gun) and I'm gonna use it to clear all the demons out from Hell.

Let's Rock!

145. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 02:09 Rockn-Roll

What would really revolutionize the gaming industry would be to modularize the apsects of gaming. What I mean by this is something like the following:

a handful of the leading gaming-engine developing companies (id, valve, etc) would form a consortium to develop a universal gaming engine. Such engine could be used for a variety of different game types via licensing (FPSs, RPGs, RTSs, simulators, etc etc). Ideally, the engine development would eventually be placed under the jurisdiction of an open-source development group, like Mozilla.

Now game developers would be free to develop gaming content without having to focus so much energy on creating yet another gameing environment, or world engine.

This would also allow games to be cross-compatible. For example, if a flight simulator add-on developer makes new aircraft for a flight simulator, the aircraft model and flight dynamics could be imported into and used in other games.

An even simpler adaption of this concept, and I cannot wait until this is implemented, is to use a global XML file for user prefs (display options, key mappings, etc). Almost all games have the same setup options, why do I have to make new settings each time I get a new game? I should be able to import my Doom 3 key configs into HL2.

You aren't thinking out of the box. Myself and some others from Planet Quake during the initial rise of that web site have been trying to convince manufacturers to standardize multiplayer game communications. That way you can choose what ever game engine you want. Then the game servers can run whatever they want and handle the communications equally with all clients. A good example of communication standardization is the internet. The web server is sending out standard web pages, but there are hundreds of different types of clients including both Netscape and Microsoft; though, the server does have to check for which one to enable the more advanced features of each one, but if the server wanted to just provide the basic necessities then it could do so.

Sound cool? It's how it should be. It's how it will be...I promise.

Let's Rock!

143. Re: Aug 1, 2004, 02:01 Rockn-Roll

Sort of reminds me of Ash from Evil Dead when he was going on about the Remington Shotgun... if memory serves, it was to be found in the sporting goods section for $127.95...

Yeah, the sporting goods section of SMart wastn' it? Har har.

Let's Rock!

141. Re: Strategy Guide Aug 1, 2004, 01:59 Rockn-Roll

Page Six:

"The rocket launcher is an effective weapon, but at times you may prefer to use the shotgun."

Oh god stop! You are cracking me up!

Let's Rock!

140. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:57 Rockn-Roll

btw, you can get Doom 3 strategy guide for $9.99 (regular price $20) with purchase of DOom3

My GameStop told me that the guides go on sale the same day as console Doom3 since it will contain both pc and console information.

Let's Rock!

136. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:53 Rockn-Roll

P3 600
256MB RAM
Intel 810 Chipset (With onboard audio)
TNT2-32MB

Uh, that is your sisters PC right? Cause I don't think you are going to be able to load Doom3, or heck, any game that is coming out in the last year. Though, I do commend you on the Intel board. You will need a new box, MB (recommend Intel), CPU (recommend P4 2.8Ghz), RAM (recommend 1GB), video card (recommend Creative Labs nVidia 6800 512MB), and audio (recommend Creative Labs 6.1). That would be around $1,500 retail. Or, you could buy a cow...mooo

Let's Rock!

132. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:46 Rockn-Roll

TURN BASED GAMES!

ROFL! I think that's the funniest thing I've read in this forum. I actually have some of those old turn based games...remember Bard's Tale?

Let's Rock!

131. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:44 Rockn-Roll

if a store has it in their back room, sell the damn thing!

The copies currently in the three retailer's GameStop, EBGames, and BestBuy are already sold people. Freaking Newbie Guys (FNGs)...pay attention:

The game has been in pre-purchase mode for several months and I'm sure it's been sold out for it's initial release date. I figure most stores will hold the games for at least three days before selling, cause they may not get more stock for several days, if not a week or so. There are no copies in warehouses, so it's not like they just call the warehouse for another shipment. If you have not pre-purchased a copy then you will be waiting until the CD's are made and game packaging is completed and the game is shipped.

If some mother**** walks out of GameStop with the game that I purchased months ago then they better watch their back cause I'm gonna turn into a demon and stalk them like an animal until I can drag them to hell...nothing personal.;)

Let's Rock!

130. Re: Low expectations- High hopes! Aug 1, 2004, 01:35 Rockn-Roll

I did not see anything mind blowing.

You must have missed something, cause I believe monster #1 got his mind blown up, and the marine was dusted completely in the end.

I too like the brightness and alive feeling provided by Far Cry visuals.

Live? Heck, FarCry looks to me like a totally scripted sequential superficial nursery rhyme compared to Doom3.

Would the movie look bad if I have an old video card?

No silly, the movie isn't being rendered as you watch...the frames are already rendered...it's just being displayed on your screen.

The intro for the marine reminds me of the intro for Gordon in HL.

I agree...HL was indeed a teleportation experiment. But, didn't Doom have teleporters? I know that there was no beginning story, but I believe later it was explained in the third episode that the demons had opened a portal to Earth. I don't think HL was totally original in their concept...they did do a nice job of it though. It also appears that Doom3 will contain a fairly long initial cut sequence similar to HL. No matter, to me idsoftware had everything in this genre first before any others.

Let's Rock!

128. Re: Fun? Aug 1, 2004, 01:22 Rockn-Roll

it's almost as if these games are offering the nerds a free trip to the Bunny Ranch with every purchase of D3 and HL2

Didn't you get one in your pre-purchase box?

Let's Rock!

126. Re: Low expectations- High hopes! Aug 1, 2004, 01:20 Rockn-Roll

Far Cry looks on par with Doom 3 if not better

After hearing about FarCry I decided to download the demo. I admit that it looks like a fun game, but there is not as much detail in the objects as Doom3 will have. Actually, FarCry looks about on the level of Quake II. I don't even think the CryTek engine comes close to competing with the Doom3 engine. I just don't see as much environmental effects even with them tweaked to high quality as there will be in Doom3. Anyway, 3 more days until I experience the best for sure.

Let's Rock!

124. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:11 Rockn-Roll

please let there be more than 5 hours of gameplay..

Let's see...this game is something that the Carmacks have been wanting to create for a decade, along with plenty of nightmares that they want to show us. I'm thinking it will take 5 hours just to make it through the first level...well...alive anyway.

if it's too scary I may run through the levels screaming!

If you do then say hi to the guy twitchin in the corner, right next to the one whimpering, the one sniveling, another cringing, one that's in shock, and all the rest which stop and watch while the monsters tear through the wall to get to them instead of blasting them first and asking questions later. I'll be the one watchin your back.

Let's Rock!

123. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 01:04 Rockn-Roll

I now see the influence of a story writer in there

I totally agree. It looks like a great deal of work has been done to make the game entertaining as well as exciting. Another game which had writer influence is Clive Barker's Undying; but, Doom3 is gonna rule.

Let's Rock!

120. Re: Fun? Aug 1, 2004, 00:59 Rockn-Roll

It can all be fake! Predefined model actions for a movie, just a scene made for the trailler...sheesh...
When I DO play the game, i'll have comments about the AI...

I'm playing after three more nights...you want me to send you my faked demo? I don't think some of you have a clue as to how awesome the Carmacks and team have drawn reality into the game. I'm sure that after you have played the game 10 times you will be able to anticipate the possible AI reactions, but perhaps they included some randomness into the choices that the AI takes. I won't know until I've played. But, in any event I consider a trailer for a game to be actual game footage. Todd Hollinshead has said many times that he isn't going to use any advertisements of the game through some kind of editor...only actual game footage is being used. Perhaps you may find it hard to believe that the marine is still alive? I guess you would usually wind up twitchin on the floor if one of those monsters were to attack. Don't be a girlieman, pick up a weapon in three days and frag some hellspawn!

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 03:00.

Let's Rock!

118. Holy F***ing God are we facing Satan? Aug 1, 2004, 00:50 Rockn-Roll

I knew it was going to be good, but that trailer makes it look a hell of a lot better than I even nightmared it would be. There's a couple of monsters that just might get me scared. I mean holy sh**! It looks like all hell is gonna break loose. Is there gonna be a boss monster, or just a lot of bad monsters, or somethin like Doom2 which was just a painted wall? Well, it doesn't matter cause if the game lasts just two minutes and just flashes a pop-up window saying the game is over will be fine with me. Cause in those two minutes it looks like I will be to hell and back...or maybe not coming back? Muhahaha.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Guide
79. Re: Ah, that's better Jul 30, 2004, 00:09 Rockn-Roll

I was getting worried that I wouldn't have my Doom 3 thread today.

r[Blue always comes through]r

I too am checking blue to see what he has found for my Doom3 fix in the days leading up to the release. Just one a day is all I am asking...is that too much? I found the information extremely helpfull. I recently purchased a BFG FX 5200 128MB card to replace my GeForce 2 64MB so I can play Thief 3:Deadly Shadows which uses DirectX 9. Thus, since I now have a DirectX 9 video card AND it has 128MB then I can run medium settings and get all the nice textures at the expense of smoothness of gameplay (tweaking it a bit by turning off specular lighting) while patroling the maps and, if necessary, dropping to low quality so I can have better gameplay response to take out any mosters.

This is gonna rock even on the lowest settings!

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo