Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Previews
67. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 02:14 Rockn-Roll

qigtrouble77, do you have 512MB of RAM on your videocard? Because that's what you need for Very High quality [as stated by iD, I didn't make this up].

Not for Very High Quality. you only need 256MB for Very High Quality. You need 512MB to run with Ultra Quality! However, you can get it to run a little, choppy though, if you have at least 512MB of system RAM.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM 3 Previews
66. Re: No subject Aug 2, 2004, 02:11 Rockn-Roll

In this thread before it explodes to 200 + posts about god, religion, and overclocking

No, No, and it depends on what time you have. In another 24 hours Doom3 is going to be leaving the retail outlets and overclocking the tickers on gamers across the US. I've got the resuscitation machine nearby...or are those just wires coming from the electical outlet?

Let's Rock!

News Comments > DOOM 3 Trailer
279. Re: On Software Development Aug 2, 2004, 02:04 Rockn-Roll

Honestly, that just seems like a weak, self-serving rationalization.

I have a friend that has pirated the game, but as much as I want it, enough to pre-order at three places, I just cannot bring myself to pirate the game.

Would it be nice? Yes.

Do I want to play it? Yes.

Am I DYING to get my hands on the game? Yes.

Is it right to steal? No.

I know, I know, that makes me a big hippy and pansy and whatever else. I just think it is very important to do the "right" thing when you can and, above that, to not do everything you just feel like doing or want to do.

Realistically, if I did that...I would be rude to people, maybe kill a few, steal whatever I want, etc.

From there, I get caught on two items:

1. Wow, that is a pretty jacked up world.

2. Those are all things I do not like and do not want people to do to me.

Hence, I cannot personally justify that action, though I very much want to play the game.

Silly that way ,
Ray

One thing to mention is that I started something called the Quake 2 League back in 1997 and ran the deathmatch database on planet quake, and then started running the RocknServer game servers for Team Fortress Classic and Quake3. I was also involved in standardizing server logging of stats so that we could tie all the servers together. I also started on developing a game server which could link different systems including Half-Life and Quake 2 so that a player could teleport from one system to another still carrying their same gear...like take a flag from a team on one server and run to another game on another server, etc. I also started developing my own game engine.

But, nobody would pay for it even the 1,000 players who visited my servers each day didn't even send a penny. It's all over now, I couldn't afford the bandwidth and had to take a day job and go back to school. The point is that if you don't pay for it then it will go away after awhile. You must support your software developers or else criminals and/or government will take over. Can you imagine how watered down Doom would be if there was mandated sensorship? Can you imagine what kind of crappy games we would get if it was criminals that were producing the games? Come one! Support idsoftware! Mow a few lawns, or paint some curb numbers! The money is out there, just work for it and buy the game.

Let's Rock!

271. Some stores will open early Aug 1, 2004, 18:56 Rockn-Roll

I just called my local GameStop. Apparently some stores have a lot more pre-ordered copies, and will indeed be opening tomorrow at midnight, but not my store. The guy said that the store I bought it from has a huge pre-order for Halo2...I don't think the guys there are old enough to understand who idsoftware is, much less the difference between a well made game with lots of finish like Doom3 and something that corporate suits have decided would bring in the money. I could take my voucher over to a GameStop that will be opening tomorrow night, but I'm a little leary about that...something could go wrong. Besides I think it would be less of a problem at the store I ordered it from and when they open at 10am on Tuesday I will probably be the only nerd waiting at the door.  

Let's Rock!

269. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 18:43 Rockn-Roll

I think Blue is Playing DOOM right now. HELLLOOOOOO, It's Sunday already!

ROFL!

Refresh your web page man...Blue has posted todays page already.
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 18:51.

Let's Rock!

268. Re: EB Games Aug 1, 2004, 18:42 Rockn-Roll

Two posts about "africans" now, the second with a blatant stereotype that was considered offensive 100 years ago? This is kind of a lame troll, don't you think?

I hope you do see that there has been a LOT of progress in the last 100 years. At least "Africans" is a much better term than what was used just 50 years ago. I don't think there's enough there to start a flame war in this thread. Peace.

Let's Rock!

267. Re: Warezing Aug 1, 2004, 18:36 Rockn-Roll

people are buying doom 3 for the multiplayer? It has no coop either

Uh...according to John Carmack Doom 3 has a rich coop which includes AI for the monsters to recognize that there are two players and change their strategy. It was soo stupid in Quake II that the monsters just went after one player and the other player could just pick them off or watch without much risk.

John also says that this release is for the single player game. They are working on the Multiplayer game immediately after releasing the single player demo. I think it will be a toss of the coin as to who gets a multiplayer game out first...id or one of the mods. I'm sure 3Wave is just itchin to turn Doom3 into an awesome frag and flag game. Also note that Blue posted that Doom3Fortress has opened it's web site and will be recreating the mod that made Quake a multiplayer success when it became more popular than the CTF game id first developed. Though, it is a toss as to which was more popular...TF or 3WCTF...they are both awesome mods and brought this game genre into the realm of online sports.

Let's Rock!

266. Re: Tough Choice Aug 1, 2004, 18:28 Rockn-Roll

(left hand) Put food on the table for wife and three kids...
(right hand) Buy Doom 3...

Damn, I can't make up my mind.

Might have to wait for the demo.

(Solution) sell one of the kids...especially the one that will start playing Doom3 and beat their daddy at deathmatch at the age of 4.

You can do it Xenopulse. The price of the game is just a couple of days of food. Just say it's a new Atkins diet...low carb, low protein. Maybe say it means just Gatorade for a week...you know...to clean their system out.

Seriously though, I think there should be a gamer welfare for people with a family and children so they can get at least a game a year. It may help prevent psycho dad from emerging from the subconscious...we know he's there just waiting to come out. With a plasma gun, some hand grenades, and an assault cannon you will be able to blast that lunatic back into your lower id and leave your ego free to take care of the family...sniff...sniff...it would be heaven.

Let's Rock!

261. Re: THE PLOT THICKENS!!!! Aug 1, 2004, 16:58 Rockn-Roll

The guy at Gamestop just told me that Doom 3 "Won't be in until October, but if you reserve it now, you get a figurine."

Those idiots are looking at the console release date, not the PC release date. The employees at my store tried the same thing with me, until I just stood there and made him look further. Don't take any crap from those guys. The game is allowed to leave the store at open of business on the 3rd...whenever they want, as long as it's the 3rd.

Let's Rock!

260. Re: THE PLOT THICKENS!!!! Aug 1, 2004, 16:56 Rockn-Roll

WHY DOES EB-GAMES HAVE THE SHIP DATE LISTED AS THE 3RD???

Because EB-Games won't be able to let it out their door until the 3rd. If you are having them ship it to you after they get it then it may be as late as the 5th or 6th if you are going UPSGround.

I'll have to check my local store again tomorrow to see if they will be open at midnight. That would be sweeeett!

Let's Rock!

217. Re: Doom Dilemma Aug 1, 2004, 13:03 Rockn-Roll

About 140.00 at most would an FX 5700 work ok?

Yes. A FX 5700 has 128MB of RAM, and is fast enough to handle the medium quality setting with no problems...perhaps even 1024x768. Also, if you turn off specular lighting you might get away with 1280x1024 though it probably won't improve your experience any. From what I can see it is better to increase the quality and lower the resolution. But, that is just speculation cause I don't have the game yet. I bought the FX 5200 Ultra which also has 128MB of RAM, but the 5700 has some extra circuitry that makes the 5200 look like it's a slug. The best I'm hoping for is medium quality at 640x480 and dreaming about 800x600 with specular lighting turned off.

Let's Rock!

215. Re: On Software Development Aug 1, 2004, 12:57 Rockn-Roll

The hot engines just aren't freeware, they cost you about $ 1,000,000 plus royalties

Roger that. Keep in mind that all the mods can only be distributed for free. If you want to charge for the mod, then it's a hefty fee that needs to be negotiated with ToddH. The same goes for game servers...if you charge a fee to play on the server, then a royalty must be paid...I think that is somewhere around $1,000 for Quake 3 Arena. The $1,000,000 for rights to use the game engine in a commercial product is way too high, but I think it was around $50,000 for Quake2...might have gone up since then though...in fact, you can count on it being closer to the $100,000 mark.

Let's Rock!

210. Ultimate Doom Aug 1, 2004, 12:42 Rockn-Roll

ROFL! You must have bought the collectors edition which contains the original Ultimate Doom, and the 4th Final Doom episode, and Doom2 with all the sirdoom, doomed, et. la. stuff. I hope you aren't serious man. But, hey, it's a great game if you have a DOS machine, or do what I do and boot to DOS on a Win98 machine. The real pain is finding a mouse driver that works. There are several that work, but not many. But, I suppose some people have never played the original Doom before. So, now is their time!  

Let's Rock!

209. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 12:37 Rockn-Roll

most of the missle shots have been of the revenant

DOH! You are totally right...I can see two down the stairs where the missle came from. Those stairs must be a critical access to have two of those there.

Yeah, I agree about the Arch-Vile. Every other monster we can duck and cover, but that Arch-Vile can cause damage even if it can't see you...the only way to stop it is to disrupt it's spell casting with a rocket or steady fire, or kill it before it's spell is released. Hehe...found a site that is using an updated version of teh Arch-Vile in it's original Doom monster page: http://www.blakertee.4t.com/photo2.html

It appears that you are not the only one who considers this demon to be worthy of special treatment. It's also fast moving...and don't forget, it can resurect most other demons...at least in the original it could.

Let's Rock!

202. Over 200 posts! Aug 1, 2004, 12:13 Rockn-Roll

Is this a record? If not, then let's keep posting!  

Let's Rock!

169. No subject Aug 1, 2004, 03:24 Rockn-Roll

Now that I've read all the other posts...I've had the trailer on loop the whole hour or two.

I like the girl trying the recite the lords prayer and then asking to hold her...oooh yeah hold me baby!

I think I heard the phrase, "things have gotten out of hand." from one of the scientists in HL.

Oh god, there it goes again...the marine found a weapon and it's all over for the demons! Sound track rocks too.

"Amazing things will happen here soon...you just wait."

Some of those monsters are just shrugging off everything the marine is shooting at them. Reminds me of when I first encounter the Baron of Hell and think it's just a Pinky Demon that is standing up.

Oh god, this is going to be sooo scary. I bet at hard difficulty the marine runs out of ammo on every level and has to use the flashlight to fight of somethings that are just sick and twisted.

Oh wait...at the end of the trailer the marine has a rocket shot at him, but from what? Who? In the original doom was the Mancubus which looked like gorillas and kept chanting, "Monkey Power". I hope they have a new vocabulary. Or, is it the Minautar from Doom2? I can't think of any other monster from Doom/Doom2 which could fire rockets except for those two. Is it just me, or does that rocket change directions? Don't tell me it's a heat seeking rocket like in the Weapon's Factory mod for Quake2, I couldn't stand those things (though I used them without qualms).

I wonder how long we have to run around with just a flashlight before we find a gun? Will there be stats showing players who have made it through all the levels with just a flashlight?

No matter what you think. The Doom3 experience starts Tuesday August 3rd, 2004. It will be remembered.

OK...I'm done...peace til tomorrow when I do it again...what?...try to take over the world. Snark!

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 03:28.

Let's Rock!

162. Re: Doom3 sponsored by Black and Decker Aug 1, 2004, 02:59 Rockn-Roll

Now take this Dremel and go kill that dragon over there, soldier!

Sir, yes sir!

Let's Rock!

161. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 02:57 Rockn-Roll

OMG WHY IS THE DOOM GUY USING A REGULAR GYM BAG TO CARRY HIS STUFF IN THE INTRO INSTEAD OF A LASER GUIDED HOVER BACKPACK WITH FUSION POWERED THERMOS.

I'm sure it was on the list of items not allowed. It was probably confiscated and will be returned when the've finished using inspecting it.

Let's Rock!

160. Re: Whatever Aug 1, 2004, 02:55 Rockn-Roll

I don't know if it's still disputed, but I got Doom3 today from Best Buy. Woot.

Uhm...look in the box, I bet it's empty and just a pre-release box...I hope. NOBODY GETS DOOM3 BEFORE ME. Ok, I'll go sit down and take a pill or two and mellow. Three more days, three more days...

Let's Rock!

158. Re: chainsaw Aug 1, 2004, 02:53 Rockn-Roll

Well, you see Enahs, it's like this: They weren't planning on taking a dayhike to Mars, they were planning on living there. In order to be able to do that, they would first need to terraform a very small portion of the landscape. So they planted trees in 2089 and fed them magnified sun, water from an underground stream near the polar cap, and huge doses of carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide was trasmuted into oxygen by the trees, providing life-support for the workers of the research facility. But mars has huge global dust storms from time to time when the magnetic field flips, and this sometimes blows the trees down. These trees need to be cut up and new ones planted. Chainsaw

Yeah, that could happen! LOL!

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo