Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
109. Update on performance on low end system Aug 5, 2004, 21:01 Rockn-Roll

After doing some timedemos and playing the game some, I realized that it takes a short while for all the maps to be snugged up into a video card. I enabled showFPS and in the first couple of minutes of loading a new level my system shows around 15FPS max, but then after playing for about 5 minutes it levels out to around 30FPS. Also, after reloading a level I start out at around 30FPS.

Just an FYI for those tweaking their systems. As I mentioned in another post I have a 1.4Ghz P4 with 384MB of RAM and a AGP 4X slot with a 128MB FX 5200 video card. I'm able to run High quality if I drop my resolution down to 640x480, but after looking at 800x600 I don't see as big of a difference in images between resolutions as I do between medium (default for 128MB cards) and high quality. And, 30FPS is excellent, I don't see any choppiness or hesitation after I get the level all loaded up. In fact, I reload just as soon as I get to a level and voila, instant 30FPS...sweeet!

I'm still in denial...Doom3...damn, it's the future already!

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. That and whiplash...something behind me? Aug 5, 2004, 13:34 Rockn-Roll

It looks like blue has gotten to that part too...you know the part. The sinister laughter...the phantoms...I'm glad it's not real!

I've made it past the first Boss taking the EFS (EPF?) route...I will have to play it again to check the other route as well. The first boss is really cool...she dances well, and dies well too...I wonder how many Bosses there will be?

Has anyone else noticed the Gremlins from Quake mission pack 1? I have not given them a chance to steal any weapons, but I don't think these Gremlins have that ability...just the slashing/jabbing arms...they also don't chatter much. In fact, I don't find the monsters making that much vocal noise at all...it's mostly just sound effects. Or, maybe they are, but I'm just not giving them a chance to say anything.

I dred the daylight...and hope night comes soon...along with demons, hellspawn, and possessed humans whose eyes glow in the dark.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 13:35.

Let's Rock!

44. Re: FINALLY dewm 3 Aug 4, 2004, 12:36 Rockn-Roll

is it just me or does it not feel rather surreal to finally be able to play d00m3?

OMG! We have Doom3!!! I was in denial for awhile...uh maybe still am, I'd better check to make sure it's still there.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 12:37.

Let's Rock!

43. Re: Oh I got it alright, here's my story... Aug 4, 2004, 12:33 Rockn-Roll

Sorry to hear the difficulties ProdigyXL. Sorry for the demons that is, cause now you are so bustin with anger that you are gonna whoop up on those demons just like you were punchin chickens!  

Let's Rock!

39. Re: Scary Aug 4, 2004, 11:56 Rockn-Roll

Good game, lame ending. I can't wait to see the mods for this baby

It's not over Equinoux. Now that you have completed the game on one of the other difficulty levels (you played it on easy didn't you) the game makes nightmare level available....muhahaha. Get back in there marine, or are you a chicken...is that your game in the mess hall?

Let's Rock!

37. Yeah, runs good here too! Aug 4, 2004, 11:52 Rockn-Roll

Since I have a 1.4Ghz P4 I was worried that the installation/detection routine might pop up with a dialog box that says, "Sorry a 1.5Ghz or faster processor is required for Doom3" and clicking on OK just exits from the install, or it will install but not run, etc...real evil nightmares for the last few weeks.

The other problem I was having was with my graphics card. I bought Thief3 at the same time that I bought my Doom3 pre-release. It wouldn't install...said I needed a card that supported something called a Pixel Shader 1.0! I thought WTF, a pixel can only have a 24bit color descriptor, how can it be shaded? So, I ripped out my 64MB GeForce 2 Ultra and went looking for a graphics card. I didn't have much money after buying both games and all the new stuff was way over $300, and even last years cards FX 59x0 et la were over $200. Then I spied a 64MB FX 5600 for $79 which claimed to have Pixel Shader 2.0 so I picked up the box. But, then another box caught my eye which had a tag indicating that it was on sale for $69...a 128MB FX 5200. I figured hey, an extra 64MB and $10 cheaper! Thank God I bought it...even though the 5600 GPU runs at 325Mhz compared to the 250Mhz of the 5200 I decided that the extra 64MB of RAM was needed since the Thief3 specs indicated that 128MB was required for high quality textures.

Final result: I am able to select High Quality then cycle through the resolutions until I set it at 640x480. My average fps is 16.4 compared to the 19.0 on medium quality but those images are crystal clear. One place I noticed a real difference was in the floor of the kitchen/break area. The medium quality textures had missing corners...it looked like the corners had some kind of design like many linoleum floors do. But, the high quality texures showed that the floors are actually perfectly square tiles with sharp corners. I don't have a any other cards to test, but I figure that anyone with a 128MB video card could select High quality and drop down to 640x480 resolution. The only slowness I see in gameplay is at the very beginning for around 10 seconds until the textures are all situated in the graphics card and then perhaps once or twice just before entering a new area...I can live with that.

So, being able to play at High quality with a system that is slower than the required on a graphics card that is the bottom of the line is just blastin!

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3
245. Excellent! no spoilers, just technical Aug 4, 2004, 04:35 Rockn-Roll

I ran some timedemos for my system which I believe was state of the art in 2001...P4 1.4Ghz 400Mhz FSB with 384MB of 400Mhz RAMBUS memory. I upgraded to a 128MB FX 5200 so I can take advantage of the DirectX 9.x features.

Doom3 auto detected my hardware and configured settings for medium quality at 640x480 resolution which timedemoed 19.0 average fps which is about the best fps for my hardware (low quality at 640x480 timed in at 19.2). After looking at the quality of screenshots I determined that the High quality images were far superior to the medium quality even if medium quality was jacked up to 800x600 resolution. The final result was selecting High quality images, then dropping resolution down to 640 x 480 which gives me all of the awesome effects and everything close up is in complete detail so the only time I see a degredation in image quality is when objects are far away. The time demo for High quality @ 640 x 480 was 16.4fps. The only time I notice any problems in gameplay is when a level first loads...it takes several seconds to get all the textures loaded and running smooth, then a jerk or two as I move into the level. But, after taking a few peaks around the first couple of corners the gameplay is smooth.

I recommend setting High quality images and 640 x 480 resolution for anyone with a 128MB video card.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Making of DOOM 3
26. Time article is awesome. Aug 3, 2004, 02:12 Rockn-Roll

Time says it will take 30 hours to complete the game. It looks like the Doom movie has taken the next step. A producer and lead actor have stepped up to grab the glory.

Universal Pictures has a Doom movie set to film in Prague this winter, with producer John Wells of such respectable fare as ER and The West Wing attached. (The Rock reportedly has his sights set on the starring role.)

Sweet. I think the Rock would be perfect. But wtf is the filming being done in Prague? Oh well. I'm getting my copy of Doom3 in less than 12 hours, so I don't care what the world does as long as I still have electricity for the next week or so.

Let's Rock!

47. I think Blue just got a new game :) Aug 2, 2004, 16:56 Rockn-Roll

feel like playing a new game... I wonder if anything interesting is coming out soon?

Blue, I remember when Quake2 first came out. I think you actually missed a few days cause your head was stuck in the game and couldn't get it out long enough to follow through on your emails. Wasn't there something you did to keep yourself from spending too much time playing? I forget. Anyway, happy gibbing Blue. I'll have to wait another 24 hours before I'm in Hell. Hehe...going to hell is what I want to do...I wonder if it will be a vacation spot in the future when we break through to Hades? No rain except for the fireballs, can't see the clouds cause the smoke is coating the lower atmosphere...yeah, that's the place.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > DOOM 3 Midnight Madness
35. Re: No subject Aug 2, 2004, 16:50 Rockn-Roll

But it's not supposed to be an exact remake of Doom 1 and 2...

That's funny...idsoftware says it is. They said that Doom3 was developed as if Doom 1 & 2 never existed. Of course the levels will be new, and there are some new monsters and weapons, but other than that it's just a UAC marine stranded on mars and battling hellspawn through level after level of monsters, traps, and secrets...surely someone has found at least one secret! OK, don't tell me...I'll find out myself.

Perhaps this should be my last post, cause people are starting to talk about the game itself now. So, I'll check back in the forums in about a week to see where everyone is. Hopefully the trolls will be under the bridge where they belong and not on the bridge stopping the travelers from crossing.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > DOOM 3 Midnight Madness
33. Re: No subject Aug 2, 2004, 16:45 Rockn-Roll

It's just level after level of run, gun, repeat.

Oh yeah! That's what I'm looking for! Just give me flashlight first, then a little bigger demon and then a little bigger gun and then a little bigger demon and a little bigger gun, etc. Heck, the corridors and levels can be all exactly the same, I don't care. The fun is dodging the attacks by the demons and taking them down like a cheer leader's skirts.

If you don't like that then this game is not for you. You should have played Doom 1 & 2 cause this is a remake of those FPSs. If you want story then get FF7 or an RPG. Doom3 is just like the other doom series...hell has opened up and the demons are invading, and you are the only one there to kick their sorry azzez back to hell.

I'm also hoping there is a nightmare skill level, which you apparently didn't find, that respawns new monsters every 5 seconds. So, you are just playing the initial game release. The mods are going to tear you a new orific to play with. And, the demo version will not run the mods. Eventually every serious gamer will have to purchase Doom3 or be left behind playing Quake2 and Quake3. Don't confuse what I'm saying, cause I'm not saying those games aren't good, since there's still plenty of people playing Quake DM, CTF, TF, etc. and I fire up the single player of Quake2 and Q2:MP2 at least every year. I just don't see an engine like FarCry or UnReal Tournament displacing the awesome power of the Doom3 engine.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > On DOOM 3 Settings
151. Re: techie question about RAM.. Aug 2, 2004, 10:35 Rockn-Roll

Wookiestick: Here's is a quote from Robert Duffies .plan update http://www.quakefinger.com/plan.asp?userid=raduffy&id=16246:

[bTo put things in perspective, most production levels in DOOM 3 contain more media assets than all of Quake 3: Arena. When we started working on the memory foot print, our goal was a 256MB system. In most cases loading up an area of the game on a 256MB system works fine, the problems arise when you start to transition from one area to the next ( successive map loads ). Memory fragmentation starts to really work against us and it ultimately made it just not feasible for a reasonable play experience to support 256MB.

He further confirms that when they started seeing this for Ultra quality then they ignored their 256MB limit and let the grass grow so to speak until the video memory requirement reached 500MB for totally uncompressed video...and called it Ultra quality.

They also found that if they just compress the normal maps then they could easily fit everything into a 256MB card...and called it High quality.

They then found that if they also compressed the specular and diffuse maps then they can fit everything into a 128MB card...and called it medium quality.

They then did what has been done for decades and downsized the textures and specular maps so that they fit into 64MB cards...and called it low quality.

Given your video card history then it's time to sell/trade that 128MB card in for a 256MB card or you won't get good gameplay from High quality, though medium quality will indeed be a nice experience...I think dropping $325 for a 128MB card when I dropped $70 for a 128MB card (FX 5200) which will also run medium quality though perhaps not as high a resolution as the 6800 is just a waste of money when you just needed to spend another $80 bucks to get High quality.

Just my opinion.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > DOOM 3 Previews
138. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 10:07 Rockn-Roll

The damn gun is shooting blue light and it doesn't even act as a light source.

Keeping being unimpressed by the DOOM3 engine,

Don't blame the engine for the properties of a light source. Since you want lighting from muzzle flashes to illuminate surrounding areas then use the included SDK to add it and stop your whining.

Let's Rock!

136. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 10:03 Rockn-Roll

Ray, I never use V-Synch and never see tearing, and my eyes have exceptional retinas and my brain seems to be way faster than most people in my computer engineering class. It may be because I have an awesome monitor (22" iiyama) that can handle the faster refresh rates. I think you are exagerating to get your point across...which got lost somewhere in the shuffle...so, uh what was your point?  

Let's Rock!

135. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 09:53 Rockn-Roll

TV 30fps NTSC (25fps PAL)
Film 24fps

For it to look fluid you'll need at least 30fps

Pay attention grunts who didn't pay attention in class and all you FNGs. WebDemon did his homework. Didn't everyone wonder why all the performance charts had 30fps in the middle of the chart and 60fps as the max, and a smooth gameplay is defined as above 30fps while choppy play occurs when fps drop below 30?

Let's Rock!

134. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 09:49 Rockn-Roll

Come on people, do you really need to be reminded not to feed the troll?

Sorry...didn't know what I was thinking.

>Removes trolls from being displayed in IE using neat software downloaded from Norton web site.

Let's Rock!

92. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:54 Rockn-Roll

Wtf, I come here to see if anyone is discussing their opinions on playing Doom 3 and there's a bunch of idiots talking about the Pixies and the RIAA. Oh ya and nerds discussing their motherboards or something. W T F D00D3RZ!?!!@!!

Yeah, and now there's someone with lots of gay colors in their sig. You must be looking for the forum on gay marriages which is definitely not here.

Let's Rock!

88. Re: Rectify Aug 2, 2004, 02:48 Rockn-Roll

Since you guys obviously missed it. [sic] You can play Ultra Quality even on a 128mb card

Nah, I saw that. The problem with having less memory on the card is that the system RAM will need to be used. When that happens then your performance will drop drastically to unplayable. And, I believe the quote was that Ultra will load on a 256MB card, not a 128MB card.

In one of the interviews id indicated that the ultra quality textures can load on a 256MB card, but when a new level loads the memory fragmentation on the video card will prevent the uncompressed textures from loading into memory, thus the game will slow down to a crawl and/or sieze due to the video card encountering a page fault or some such problem which wasn't detailed in the interview.

In another 24 hours we can start seeing some performance marks. It would be nice to have a centralized web site where everyone can post their system specs along with their FPS and other information just to compare systems, and share tweaks.

Let's Rock!

82. Re: Stop being so obsessive-compulsive. Aug 2, 2004, 02:39 Rockn-Roll

OH MY GOD MY GEFORCE4 WON'T RUN THIS PIECE OF SHIT AT 100FPS I NEED A NEW CARD RIGHT NOW!

Doom3 has been capped at 60FPS. You might be able to run PONG with that card though.

Let's Rock!

71. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 2, 2004, 02:22 Rockn-Roll

but say I added another 512mb DDR and changed the card to a 6800GT, but kept my 2ghz

You would see an imrpovement with just the video card...forget the memory upgrade cause you don't need it. Wait another few months before buying anything expensive. Due to the demand from games like Doom3 Video card memory will probably be reaching 1GB by next year. And, you will be able to build a nice 4Ghz machine with just $1,000 or twice what you want to spend now...and you will be getting twice as fast a computer.

You will need that fast of a computer for the next generation of software systems that will be taking advantage of artificial language interpreters and speech synthesizers to eliminate most of our need to type stuff in to computers.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing. I simply upgraded my video card to a FX 5200 for now since it's only a $70USD upgrade and should allow me to run anything coming out this year, and perhaps the next couple. At least it runs Thief3 and FarCry, and according to the requirements should run Doom3 and Quake4 nicely.

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo