Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. No subject Mar 24, 2008, 12:08 Rockn-Roll

I avoid iTunes...anything Apple scares me. They "protected" themselves out of the market when they first started...Apple had a 50% share in the computer market until owners realized that they couldn't upgrade their system with new components unless Apple made them.

I'm not a console game user, so what's wrong with a HD-DVD player for the XBox 360?

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Individual Orange Box Retail Plans
13. No subject Mar 15, 2008, 13:05 Rockn-Roll

Kudos to Robin Walker and John Cook for finally getting Team Fortress on the shelf...it's been a long time...perhaps too long overdue.

But, I'm a little concerned about TF2 getting equal billing with EP2 in the cost margin...I don't think TF2 should have to pay for EP2 development costs. I don't think as much design and development time went into TF2 in it's current iteration. It's almost like they want to have us pay for the development time they lost with the TF2 versions that never saw the light of day.

Upon analysis I believe they are shooting themselves in the foot with this costing strategy. Portal should be a lot less...perhaps $12.99...it was developed by a 3rd party and Valve only assisted late in it's development. It's a new game style and it would behoove Valve to stimulate interest in it...that won't happen if it costs way more than a DVD...it forces a choice between the new Godsmack release or Portal...most kids will buy the DVD with their allowance. To compensate for the lost revenue EP2 should be increased to something like $34.99.

TF2 popularity has dropped off, so a retail package would infuse some new blood, but let's face it $30 forces the choice between a new media release and a classic...perhaps something that they have been wanting to buy for awhile. When they finally get $30 they won't see any problem going for what they have wanted. If the price was $20 for TF2 then they might go for the classic CD and TF2...perhaps wait on the new DVD until later. Again...the revenue should be applied to EP2 to bring it up to $44.99. I think this is more applicable...EP2 includes EP1 which means there's actually 2 whole game releases in there.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Are Racing Games Dying?
37. Sim vs Game Feb 28, 2008, 22:34 Rockn-Roll

The news item involved developers of games not simulators. Racing simulation has reached a new level and a new audience. Check out http://www.iRacing.com where Dave Kaemmer, the main ingredient of Papyrus, and John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Socks are getting ready to launch a professional internet racing organization. Or http://www.Race2Play.com where we already have an amateur internet racing organization sanctioned by the National Auto Sport Association which is a real racing organization. SimBin has lucrative contracts with http://www.FIA.com which is the Federation Internationale De L'Automobile and is the main sanctioning body of Formula Racing and other racing events.

Sim Racing has never looked so good. Image Space Incorporated has a very stable racing engine (upon which SimBin and other companies are developing their racing simulators) and has built rFactor up to new levels with modders like CDTP and iDT turning out quality products which include realistic Formula One and Champ Car racing. There's sim drivers who have invested thousands of dollars on equipment so that they have an actual cockpit to climb into with surround video, sound, and even physical stimulation.

And, the game genre is not dying either. Just yesterday I got a job offer from a company developing an off-road racing game. Heck...Rage...the new title by IDsoftware is an off-road racing game! It looks like this article was just so we can look at the losers in this genre...developers that just couldn't cut it.

Let's Rock!

1. No subject Jan 11, 2008, 11:32 Rockn-Roll

Holy Retro Blue! Now all you need is a blacklight, flourescent paint and Inagoddadavida playing in the background.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Game Guidance
1. Thanks Blue! Dec 1, 2007, 23:23 Rockn-Roll

And Blue comes through with a mention for my training group...awesome man. The training does not require any registration...only a licensed copy of Team Fortress 2 and join 208.78.244.71:27016 with password "goodday". However, registering with Steam and joining the individual training groups will allow you to receive notifications of the training sessions, as well as announcements of when I release the newest versions of my training maps.

Saturdays at noon Pacific Time we host Basic Training and Sundays at 2PM we host Map Tactics. We also offer Engineering, Medicine, Demolition, and Soldiering on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday beginning at 6:30PM. For more information if you don't want Steam (it's possible!) visit http://tf2.rat.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18

Rockn-Roll

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 23:34.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Newer GeForce Beta Drivers
8. Re: Nothing special in the file. Oct 27, 2007, 03:07 Rockn-Roll

Note the phrase, "Nightly build". Any BETA drivers will have the most recent work...not only updates, but fixes, tweaks, etc. Now-a-days drivers from nVidia or ATI are only deemed BETA because they don't have the embedded Microsoft Signature yet.

It's also interesting to note that we have had to update our drivers for almost every significant FPS game that has come out...Half-Life 2 including TF2, and Clive Barker's Jericho wouldn't even let you launch unless you installed the new BETA driver.

Oh well...at least with Vista or even XP we can easily roll back drivers that have a nasty taste.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Beta Live
92. Re: Still available? Sep 18, 2007, 20:26 Rockn-Roll

Yes...the BETA is available at least until the Oct 10th release, but Valve will be rolling out the new server builds like a day before the 10th, so on the 9th there won't be many BETA servers. Valves focus will switch to the retail release.

Currently there are around 350 servers and they are nearly all full...just after midnight of the 17th (last night) there were about 140 servers and they filled up in less than a minute. The TF2 BETA is currently the 2nd most popular multiplayer FPS (according to gamespy)...and while counter strike is way out in the lead by 6 times more players I should point out that many CS players aren't going to even try TF2 until release because many of them didn't like TFC and never played the original TF.

My prediction is that TF2 will break even with CS soon after release.

Let's Rock!

12. No subject Aug 20, 2007, 08:43 Rockn-Roll

11 years and counting...plans are already being made for 2008 as you can ready on id's website.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Intel to Fight Game Cheating?
38. anti-cheat Jun 22, 2007, 04:47 Rockn-Roll

While it is true that some aim-bots can be detected due to the way they take over control by examining the movement of the player's aim if the player's aim is way off...lazy or whatever...there will be a sharp change in the aim...and detected using calculus. However, ways can be found around it if the detection algorithm is known.

Cheating is known to be very common which is why tournaments such as those to be held at QuakeCon require that everyone use the same PC and be physically monitored. In fact, the lack of participation from some online players who are beyond l33t in online play is probably a much better indication of cheating than any anti-cheat algorithms especially when players like Thresh were able to prove that there's enough money offered at tournaments to make a very good living from it.

I'm been gaming online since 1996 and have seen my share of real players dominate and have been able to just visually watch aim-bots take over a player's aim, and have had some very odd moments myself where I am just unstoppable, but at other times look like a N00b. I've developed the philosophy that during online play I consider all the other players to be my competition even if they are computer controlled. Mostly this stems from the fact that in all the single player games I play I start the game at the highest difficulty level and it leaves me unimpressed, so in online play if I get to fight against something better than the single player bots then I rise to the challenge.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars Beta Tomorrow?
3. Re: how? Jun 19, 2007, 11:13 Rockn-Roll

I think idsoftware and IGN have lost their heads. I'm not paying for the game TWICE...I've already paid for it once. I'm also spending $3,000 to attend QuakeCon (obviously the money is not the issue here) and now I hear The game won't be available until the day QuakeCon starts so I will be a complete noob in all the tournaments and LAN play. I figured it would be OK if I received it on 7-10 as it would give me 20 days of practice, but noooo.

Then I see that there is a BETA that I can sign up for...somewhere. But, I can't find anything on the fileplanet web site about it. I am a member, but I didn't pay anything for it...I actually worked for gamespy in 1998...the number of players in game servers listing on the front page was my doing.

It's just another example of how businesses loose site of their market and ignore the work that the little guys make.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Beta Nears
27. No subject Jun 18, 2007, 00:14 Rockn-Roll

I don't see any way to do anything at fileplanet. I see myself logged in with my account. I don't see any beta keys in my beta keys, but also no information on how to get beta keys. I don't see any news on ETQW except when I browsed to the gamespy ETQW site which said information is forthcoming.

If it required paying IGN a fee to get the beta? No way...I used to work at Nintendo as a game tester...they should be paying me to test ETQW...I'll get it on 7-10 and I'll be at QuakeCon Aug 1st.

Let's Rock!

17. No subject May 23, 2007, 14:55 Rockn-Roll

Excellent Blue! It is well deserved...and what do they mean hidden? Bluesnews was one of the first web sites I ever found back in 1996/97 when I was looking for information on Quake. I think I found your site even before I found planetquake. Your efforts are indispensible. I hope you continue forever.

But, really...Steam a secret? It makes me wonder if they even know about gamespy...I'll bet Mark Surfas is seething.

They must be kidding by listing Eurogamer as a secret. And the rest of those gaming sites must have been added when they were sniffing glue...if I had known they were looking for sites like those then I would have sent them links where people spend hours and loads of money playing online Mah Jong...a real jewel in the hidden and hopefully never found by anyone I know catagory.

Rockn-Roll

This comment was edited on May 23, 15:08.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Evening Q&A
1. Grammar in this title Apr 5, 2007, 19:40 Rockn-Roll

Last word...know should be now:
"After four of these you know the deal by know"
should be
"After four of these you know the deal by now"

Let's Rock!

News Comments > QuakeCon Registration Opens
1. #1, #666, and #2007 winners Mar 2, 2007, 23:08 Rockn-Roll

#1: Draco
#666: m00ky
#2007: reckedchords

There's still 450 registration spots available after 2 hours of registrations...get them now or they will be gone.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > MumboJumbo Acquires Ritual Entertainment
36. No subject Jan 25, 2007, 04:50 Rockn-Roll

My first thought was "WTF is a casual game?"

I looked at their web site:

http://www.mumbojumbo.com/

Their web site looks like something for a 1st grader to look at...plastic toy looking icons...alphabet letters, etc. This isn't what Ritual does...they've been a project studio which began as Hipnotic Interactive in 1997 with a contract to develop Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_Entertainment

Quake MP1 was awesome...lava nails, multi-rockets, gremlins, scorpions, and excellent music and atmosphere...it's still worth playing if you can afford to keep a DOS or Win98 machine around.

On their own they just don't seem to have the drive or initiative to keep things going. I have no clue what they will be doing for Mumbo Jumbo, but I doubt that they will be developing kiddie games...or what they are calling casual games.

It's my guess that Ritual didn't want to get bought by a competitor like so many other studios and get disbanded. It appears that they disbanded themselves and then sold their holdings and name to the highest bidder. So, that's the last that we will hear from "Ritual Entertainment" I suppose.

I also think a lot of people got Ritual confused with Rogue, another Dallas Studio, who did Quake Mission Pack 2...more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Entertainment

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Into the Black
1. quite for christmas time Dec 27, 2006, 21:03 Rockn-Roll

Yeah...only a few big game releases for christmas.  

Let's Rock!

1. keylogger? Dec 6, 2006, 12:03 Rockn-Roll

It sounds like you had something interfering with your keyboard driver, for instance a keylogger. Sure, it could have been a random bit error in a driver status register or something strange like that, but in my experience these things happen due to an event which causes them, like downloading something that includes code for direct keyboard access.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > The Late Show - Two HL2: Episode Two Trailers
2. No subject Sep 6, 2006, 09:36 Rockn-Roll

Awesome! I don't even see them available on Steam yet. I wonder how Fran gets the inside track on this stuff?  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Fall of Liberty Announced
2. No subject Aug 31, 2006, 12:10 Rockn-Roll

Wow...a WWII FPS! I've always wanted to play one of those! What an original concept. (insert more insidious sarcasm here).

This sounds like investment dollars are being thrown into the game industry for "what has proven to sell well". Sad...money and no brains seems to be the going standard for USA business trends. When are the investment people going to learn that they will make more money by building a new shelf for a new product than placing yet another similar product on the same shelf?

Let's Rock!

32. No subject Aug 31, 2006, 00:46 Rockn-Roll

I'd say this is good news for Blue. I normally forego any on-site technicians when I get a new ISP...all they normally do is type in a command on a computer at their site, so mostly techs just plug the modem into the wall and into the computer...5 minutes later they gave me a bill for $150. But, this last time they said I HAD to purchase the tech service...and I was glad, apparently there were several analog amplifiers and a couple of open loops on my line which resulted in a digital bandwidth of nothing better than 384Mb in both directions. Eliminating these problems has my bandwidth cooking at 1.5Mb download while the upload is still limited to 384Mb.

Let's just hope that you get smooth sailing after they get through.

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo