Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Wood

Real Name Steve Wood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rockn-Roll
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Rock (Ibanez 7-string guitar into Marshall amp) and Roll (Corvette Stingray).

Computer Engineer for 28 years...mostly corporate applications, but some gaming. Have worked for/with Gamespy, Intel, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and People Soft.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 25, 2004, 10:25
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 21182

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2010, 17:07 Rockn-Roll

Definitely do not take it personally...Acleacius is not far from the truth. It's most likely that she doesn't feel like entertaining and instead would rather be the one that is being entertained. Now...if you pitch the BBQ to her as a jaunt to a park where there's some festival going on then you might get her interested.  

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Bashing
118. Re: EA Bashing Oct 18, 2010, 13:32 Rockn-Roll

A lot of interesting comments. Problems of this kind always happened before...some company in the public eye treats it's employees like squat product...one employee has the kahunas to talk to the press about it. The major difference now is that with the internet the employee can make it public by himself...in the past the press would usually decide not to publish things like this.

So, my comment is to wake up everyone...the majority of people in control of wealth and product in the world are horrible people that care only that they have more wealth than everyone else even if it means destroying the lives of everyone else under them in their company...and they tend to do that on a regular basis. The problem is that there's always someone in need of a job that is willing to work for these people.

The solution path begins with communication...the more we learn about this kind of stuff the more likely we will find a fix.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Co-Op Delayed, DLC Detailed
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Co-Op Delayed, DLC Detailed Sep 24, 2010, 01:05 Rockn-Roll

Let's see...game is only available as a download...content has been stripped out to be sold to us at a later date...multiplayer is not ready.

Why buy this crap now? I'm waiting another year or more...when they have the game ready and have all the content available for a reasonable price then I'll buy it. If you buy it now then you will wind up paying a total which is over $100. Everything is scripted so the fun will last just a week or two. Not worth it now.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Talent Announced
1. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Talent Announced Sep 7, 2010, 23:36 Rockn-Roll

Those are some talented people...hmm...perhaps CoD is going to have another great game in the series. The stories really were a bit linear i.e. after the mission brief the gameplay was just to complete the mission...very little surprises. Real missions rarely go as planned...and many are unsuccessful...if we get to succeed at every mission than it will not be as fun IMHO.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Steam Tags
4. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 12:13 Rockn-Roll

Uhm...not only is this already a built-in Steam feature, but doing this will violate Steam requirements that you NEVER give out your username and password. I suppose Icculus.org et. la. don't quite fully understand the meaning of never. I wonder if they are just testing Steam's resolve to protect client confidentiality? It will be interesting to see how many players violate their EULA and either get a forced password reset or banned.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 22
1. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 22 Jun 26, 2010, 00:59 Rockn-Roll

No Booth Babe news?  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > On OnLive Game Prices
6. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 21, 2010, 21:49 Rockn-Roll

Agreed. EPIC FAIL! As I said when this service was first mentioned...the only people who would join this service are the ones who got banned from Steam and G4WL. OnLive should expect payment from PayPal accounts to be the vast majority of payments...and expect some of those to be not owned by the subscribers. Or, the paypal accounts would have been newly created and then not exist after the payment is made. Then after the free year is up and the games downloaded and hacked they will appear on Torrent and there will be no way for OnLive to collect that second year subscription.

Any publisher allowing OnLive to distribute their games are just plain dumb.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details
3. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 10:58 Rockn-Roll

Geez...it's hard to believe that there's still players that have never heard of Steam...the FREE Forever cloud-based online game service.

It's my guess that OnLive is just going to allow players who were banned from Steam to be able to get back into the games that they ruined before. This is totally bad for gaming...I'd be really worried if I played any of those games who signed on.

I'll give this service 2 years...maybe 3...before they double the fees to $10 per month and charge more for the games than retail. After 4 years they will be totally gone and the games which they were hosting will lose money due to bad games from all the cheating hackers that used the service ruining the games.

Let's Rock!

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2010, 13:06 Rockn-Roll

Thanks for the Vigilance. I bought a ticket at Fandango to go at midnight last nite, but came down with a sore thoat and elevated temp. I have only heard that there is a "suprise ending" which was leaked a few days ago. I'm thinking it's just the same "suprise ending" that we saw in The Hulk only a bit more confirming, but I definitely am thankful that I can continue to visit blue's "blog" on a daily basis without a risk that my expectation will be deflated.  

Let's Rock!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2010, 11:08 Rockn-Roll

I liked New Coke. I lived most of my life in Europe and the New Coke formula was what they used in Europe. From what I can tell Coca Cola Co. wanted to use the same formula globally. It made sense because as the markets became global they could buy from a single supplier and significantly reduce their production costs. But, if they were making at least two different products (the formula sold in USA and the formula sold in Europe, plus perhaps another formula for Asia) then they couldn't capitalize on a global market cost reduction.

As we all know it failed in the USA. I don't know if they tried the change in Europe or Asia or not. Nor do I know what the global outcome was. All I know is that New Coke tasted sweet and refreshing and Coke Classic tastes harsh. I still drink Coke because it's better than Pepsi.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced
34. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 23:29 Rockn-Roll

can ANYBODY state a non subscription game supported as heavily as valve has supported TF2?

Uhm...Counter Strike?

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 15:01 Rockn-Roll

Blue missed the Monkey advertisement. There's a link to it in the Saxton Hale comic:

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/saxtonhale/poopyjoe.htm

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday
41. Re: Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday Jul 4, 2009, 20:03 Rockn-Roll

A Monkey surrounded by water.  

Let's Rock!

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2009, 17:02 Rockn-Roll

We all know that family reunions are prone to disaster, but that scenario was almost like it was designed in Hell. Best wishes for your niece.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > On Conflicts of Interest
6. No subject Oct 4, 2008, 20:03 Rockn-Roll

This is why I've always just listened to blue...since 1997...he's never tried to sell or not sell anything even after UGO picked up his tab. Just informatin...which is what we need...let the individual companies sell their stuff...that's what they do. We just need to know when a company has something to say.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Direct Nerve Force Feedback System
27. Re: Endless possibilities Sep 27, 2008, 01:18 Rockn-Roll

I don't think I'd be willing to trust something like that just yet. What if you get wired up and the game crashes (like has happened to everyone) just when your arms and legs are forced into a limp state. I can just hear the support responses:

Player: My arms are limp...my baby brother is holding the phone to my head.
Support: Detach the device.
Player: It's all off, but my arms are still limp.
Support: Have you been using sun tan lotion on your arms?
Player: I'm in minnesota!
Support: Have you been wearing long sleeve shirts?
Player: What does that have to do with anything?
Support: Your arms may not be up to using the device...download the new toning tonic...
Player: Wha...?
Support: ...or your arms may not be up to spec...see if a doctor can install new ones.
Player: Ahhhhhh!
Support: OK. OK. Relax...we'll give you a refund.

Let's Rock!

1. No subject Sep 6, 2008, 14:08 Rockn-Roll

Getting the right dentist is possibly the most important part of a persons life. I learned a long time ago that buying dental insurance reduces not only the selection of dentists, but also what a dentist can do for you. I pay out of my own pocket and my dentist gives me a 20% reduction in price, plus throws in freebies; for example, I just had a bridge put in and it had gold for the back tooth and porcelin for the front...insurance would have required all gold. I only pay like $125 for a cleaning which is just 5 months of a normal $25/month insurance payment. It looks like the money is a wash, but the insurance companies make their money by restricting the quality of care.

Do yourself a favor and drop your insurance and go private pay...find a dentist that likes the same stuff as you...there must be a gamer that is also a dentist in your area...just keep calling around. And, be sure to ask what games...backgammon doesn't qualify.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Second TF2 Unlockable Weapon
6. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Aug 16, 2008, 12:37 Rockn-Roll

Natasha is useless...the minigun runs out of ammo extremely fast and now it will require more ammo to kill anyone?

The weapon upgrades were supposed to make the Heavy more viable on his own. Natasha is useless without a kritz, so the Heavy would HAVE to chose KGB in order to make Natasha usefull for independent kritz. I see this as an update for the Medics to make better use of their kritz...the Heavy will suffer greatly if they are by themselves.

Standing alone the Heavy only survives because everyone runs...the only ones that don't run are snipers because they are far enough away to not get damaged much (even less now) and they don't even move anyway...most likely Natasha will steady their aim better, and spys because they will be trying to run behind the Heavy and if a bullet from any gun hits them then they glow anyway so slowing them down is next to useless. Basically, it will allow the enemy more time to kill the Heavy.

This is the stupidest "upgrade" I've ever seen...it's more of a downgrade.

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patch
5. No subject Jul 31, 2008, 11:05 Rockn-Roll

I don't understand it either...and I don't play Pyro that often. I heard complaints about the extra health bonus being the only reason to get the backburner, but personally I'd rather have the compression blast than the 100% crit from the back or the extra health...it helps the team a lot more to blow away stickies or separate uber combos than a flame run.  

Let's Rock!

News Comments > Formula One 2009 a Sim
8. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 23:55 Rockn-Roll

I agree with Rummy...CTDP F1-2005 is an awesome product. And, it has been integrated into some actual track-side simulators. And with CTDP F1-2006 soon to be released codemasters would be wasting their time. I gave up on SimBin games...they just don't feel right to me...and they don't have the features I like in rFactor.

The number one issue is rFactor has built-in support for multi-monitor surround. Simbin has an FOV adjustment that looks horrible and all the menus are screwed up. I have 3 widescreen monitors that rFactor places left, center, and right views onto in the proper FOV for each view.

Even though they are built on the ISI engine SimBin appears to have tweaked certain physics...for example at low speeds the front tires lose grip and even backing off the gas doesn't prevent the car from sliding...there is no sensation of body roll to transfer weight to the wheels that have less grip. rFactor feels right...if the front tires are losing grip then backing off the gas shifts the weight to the front and increases friction with the road.

I also agree with Optimaximal about rFactor not going retail. It took me 4 months before I located a place to buy rFactor...partly because I didn't see any mention of it on ISI's web site and I don't trust companies that do nothing but give away software for free (trymedia)...and partly because the web site was using flash (another freebie that I don't trust).

Oh...and TOCA 3 was a joke...I used it for about 3 days. I race at Race2Play.com and rFactor rocks at making me feel like a real driver. I have to go through the same effort that real life racing teams go through with testing, setup tweaking, pit strategy, track learning, and even some actual engineering for example my force feedback brake pedal and throttle based boost button. None of which would have been possible without the ISI SDK.

When iRacing finally gets around to offering me membership I might try it to compare it with what I'm doing now. But, I'm already having a great time...and there's no way I'm going to give SimBin any more of my money...I gave them a chance with Race07 and they failed to improve their product...it's the exact same game as GTR...in fact GTR, GTLegends, GTR2, Race, and Race07 all feel the same...like an arcade game that wants to be more and tries in ways that feels weird.

Let's Rock!

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo