Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zincthallinide

Real Name zincthallinide   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I went by hubricide here from inception until 7/27/2011.
Homepage http://www.realopedia.org/
Signed On May 28, 2004, 22:09
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 20985

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Fast food? Feb 9, 2006, 14:55 zincthallinide

Except you eat the same stuff, fats, salts and sugars when you eat at home. Just not as much in one meal.

I suspect that McDonald's food contains myriad preservatives and miscellaneous particulate matter introduced at the meat-processing factory/shipping center (asbestos, lead, e.coli, Herpes Simplex B, all below the FDA limit of course..). When I buy meat at the supermarket it's at least preservative free, and I would think it has less miscellaneous foreign matter than the highly processed stuff that becomes a hamburger patty.

You could argue that perhaps preservatives actually make us live longer, but then you get a guy who eats at McDonald's 3 times a day with 'imminent liver failure'...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Fast food? Feb 9, 2006, 14:07 zincthallinide

It is called moderation and variety, the one true key to a healthy life style.

I concur, but jumping into a pit of lava for only 1 second will still immolate the ever-living flesh out of you.

If eating McDonald's made me feel as though I were orgasming, maybe I'd think it were worth the risk to my health. Sadly it doesn't quite come that close.

24. Fast food? Feb 9, 2006, 13:26 zincthallinide

With movies like "Super-size Me" proving that eating McDonald's food will quickly kill you, do people still buy fast food anymore?

Once I bothered to learn how to put some meat in a pan and apply heat to it for a few minutes, I realized fast food was overpriced and not very tasty. Now, home-delivery pizza, that's fine..

Then again cigarette companies are still making tons of cash, so uh, eat up, morons.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords Patch
18. Re: Hey Feb 8, 2006, 16:15 zincthallinide

Heheheh. Ahhhhhh. I know that everyone else will think this is a joke, but I believe you.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. MSN Feb 8, 2006, 14:55 zincthallinide

I love MSN.com's 'news', which is mostly about what men want in women and how you can please your boyfriend and what to buy your girlfriend for Valentine's Day blah blah blah blah.. NEWS, BABY!

35. Re: housing... Feb 7, 2006, 18:37 zincthallinide

The Catholics also elevate their saints to the level of gods, and of course the Catholic church came up with the whole trifecta of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit being three separate entities, or whatever they are.

If one were to believe in the whole idea of Satan vs God, the Catholic church would seem altogether Satanic (the Pope basically *is* God), with magical spells, secret ceremonies, selling 'blessed' water, etc. etc.

How about this though, if Satan were really clever, couldn't he convince you that he was God and then make you do all sorts of things that he said were good but really weren't? And isn't the whole idea of Christianity to keep you away from Satan because he's so very clever and you just can't do it on your own?

Once you introduce the idea of pure 'good' and pure 'evil', you're boned. Have fun..

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 18:38.

32. Re: housing... Feb 7, 2006, 18:14 zincthallinide

Yeah, the mine carts were unrealistic on about 8,000,000 levels, but the Indiana Jones movies were always meant to be just realistic enough.. I didn't mind the carts. Magic priests yanking out hearts while saying 'mumba ja' (or whatever) goes over the line for me..

As far as Ark of the Covenant being okay but the more overt references in Crusade not, the Ark was just a convenient plot device for Indy to chase after and to melt people, whereas in Crusade the Christian stuff was more foisted upon the audience. Besides that, I just don't think Crusade was all that great action-wise or just general plot-wise..

In fact when I first saw Raiders of the Lost Ark I didn't even know about the whole 'Ark of the Covenant' thing so I just considered it as some sort of mystical non-existent artifact without any religious connotation. And even now I still do, having never been brainwashed about that particular magic box in my youth..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Command & Conquer: The First Decade
20. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2006, 17:50 zincthallinide

I remembering blowing up the AI's harvesters and having it work in C&C.. The thing was that in a lot of missions the enemy would start with a lot of money, so it took a while.

One thing you could do in C&C is just build a line of walls all the way around the enemy's base. The AI wasn't smart enough to consider the walls enemy buildings so it wouldn't destroy them. This also made the game run rather slowly as the computer tried over and over to move a unit somewhere it could never reach, but you can't have everything.

19. Re: Winz Feb 7, 2006, 17:48 zincthallinide

Off go my platoon of grenadiers, five of them moving in a neat formation. Along come some enemy troops... I kill a couple but one of my guys goes down, taking his whole unit with him from splash damage

Oh yeah. That was a pain in the ass.. grenadiers could do a lot of damage though.

As far as having more defensive structures, the problem with that is that if you make them too easy to build then no one will ever break through. It may be possible to strike some perfect balance, but in every RTS I've played the player who attacks first (concentrating on offense rather than defense) wins a majority of the time..

The whole problem with defense is that in an RTS you will benefit greatly from taking as many resources as possible as quickly as possible, and defenses are barriers to movement as well as just plain costing you resources you could spend on expansion. Defenses are useful for slowing down attackers at chokepoints.. in fact they regularly saved peoples' asses in C&C and AOE2. Again though you have to be careful that you're not hindering your own progress.. C&C didn't have gates, but AOE2 and other RTSs do, which help..

Personally I've just always loved descending on someone's base unexpected with an offensive force larger than my enemy's and wreaking some havoc. I also find it exceedingly satisfying to blow up a few harvesters/villagers.. that will really screw somebody.

28. Re: housing... Feb 7, 2006, 17:39 zincthallinide

While I'll agree it's the weakest of the three, I thought Temple had the best pacing of all the films. That movie is just non-stop action from beginning to end.

Yeah, and I was thinking too that the most iconic image of any of the movies, Indiana standing in front of the rope bridge in the jungle (with a sword, I think), was from Temple of Doom.. and the mine-cart part was good stuff, and the Mythbusters even proved that you could float down in a raft (if you were tied tightly into it and were a crash-test dummy..).

#1 still wins.

22. Re: housing... Feb 7, 2006, 16:53 zincthallinide

I've pondered the Indiana Jones movies recently, and it seems to me that only the first one was really great. The other two just can't compare. Temple of Doom = too much hocus-pocus nonsense with some kind of feel-good 'help the poor natives' hippy plot, Last Crusade = a bit too much Christian mumbo-jumbo for me and not much action, and Connery always seemed like a mediocre actor, and why do I care if Indy and Dad were pals or whatever blah blah blah?

15. Re: Winz Feb 7, 2006, 16:48 zincthallinide

That would make sense.. when the rocket bikes are attacking a tank they will always face it, so this isn't an issue. If there were multiple mammoth tanks I suppose they could wreak some havoc if the NOD player wasn't paying attention to what was going on.. I don't recall anyone ever running over any of my bikes.

The thing about NOD was that their base defense buildings (the obelisk and the SAM launcher) were too power-hungry and expensive compared to GDI's (excellent anti-infantry with the MG shed and excellent everything else with the rocket tower [including anti-air, unlike the obelisk]). In fact I seem to remember that you could just build a decent group of machine gunners or grenadiers and take out a slow-firing obelisk without any real problems..

Ultimately though in an RTS the entire key is to always be on the offensive, so if you're building a lot of obelisks/SAMS as NOD (or a lot of MG shacks/rocket towers as GDI) you're in trouble anyway. C&C was unbalanced for multiplayer, but I never minded when I picked NOD and the other guy(s) picked GDI.

12. Re: Winz Feb 7, 2006, 15:20 zincthallinide

Hmm, I never had that happen. Are you sure they can run over the bikes?

10. Winz Feb 7, 2006, 15:01 zincthallinide

Stealth tanks attack harvesters and melt away into the nothingness. Rocket bikes take out GDI super-tanks with ease (from what I remember 3 rocket bikes can take out one super-tank, or maybe even 2..?). NOD wins.

News Comments > WoW Update
1. Holy crap! Feb 7, 2006, 12:04 zincthallinide

Snarples now get a +3 to cast a flarp spell when their 'Mindpower' stat is green or blue! And ploppies have a new alternate 'prob' style that has a +2 chance to smite!

29. Re: 'puter question Feb 6, 2006, 17:05 zincthallinide

My boss's computer (less than a year old) hangs at the shutdown screen and has to be turned off manually, and then when restarted resets the date to 1/1/2003. No apparent viruses or spyware (according to Norton 2006 & Microsoft spyware checker).

Typically a date reset on cold boot means that the BIOS battery is dead/dying. If you've never seen a BIOS battery before, they're basically watch/calculator batteries in a socket in the motherboard.

A dead battery wouldn't cause a lockup on shutdown, though. Not sure about that one. Sometimes updating device drivers fixes that. Sometimes too Microsoft service packs/patches cause shutdown hitches. They've been good about that lately though.

And incidentally, the BIOS battery is used to keep the BIOS settings in memory while the computer is turned off. Technically every BIOS setting is being lost when the computer is turned off, but most BIOSes have good enough defaults (and hardware has been made so 'plug and play' lately) that you only notice the date.

It is a very, very faint possibility that some other thing is resetting the computer's date, and one way to test that would be to go into the BIOS and set some unimportant setting to something else and check if it reset after the computer is off for 30 seconds or so..

News Comments > Game Guidance
5. How to play a cleric Feb 6, 2006, 12:21 zincthallinide

Heal people who are hurt and cast protective/buffing spells occasionally. Watch as people unendingly take more damage than you can heal and die. Endure the complaining. Take the accolades as some people appreciate your quick reactions. Know that ultimately every group is doomed without a healer and steadily gain XP. Eventually realize that clerics only ever react to others' actions and never actually do much on their own, and realize why most people don't like playing a cleric. Try other classes, realize MMORPGs are a huge time sink that has virtually no bearing on the real world and that in the very least you can make more money doing other things, and never play an MMORPG again.

6. Duke Nukem Forever is gonna rock Feb 6, 2006, 11:37 zincthallinide

Imagine it, running around, shooting things, making witty one-liners, shooting more things, making other witty one-liners.. It will be ground-breaking.

News Comments > The Movies Demo
8. Re: haven't seen you guys... Feb 3, 2006, 20:40 zincthallinide

Heh, yeah, I don't remember that in particular, but I do remember this

The little guy (Paul uhh, somebody, I think) drinks all the wine out of the spittoon, or whatever they call it, when he gets angry, and it soaks his shirt, and everyone stares at him (they're only there to get SEMI-drunk!). Savor the flavor!

Also, people cheat on each other, aren't really friends, lie about having jobs (or whatever lie the little guy said exactly).. quite an uplifting film. :)

News Comments > Dungeon Lords English Patch
13. Re: Undermountain Feb 3, 2006, 20:12 zincthallinide

What about just plain Descent? I never got those games, the same old bland stone walls level after level after level, the same old bland enemies.. Descent was the first truly 3D FPS-type game, I'll give it that..

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo