Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Celestial Toad

Real Name Celestial Toad   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email ansath@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description Drafter / CAD Operator / Art Student
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2004, 03:52
Total Comments 214 (Novice)
User ID 20952

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Serious Sam 2 Retail & Demo Patches
6. Re: One... Oct 10, 2005, 17:17 Celestial Toad

I would buy a LOT more games if they were 30 dollars each... as I'm sure would everyone lol.

The only real complaint I had about the Sam2 Demo was the weapon models. They fired ok and were pretty well done as far as the technical aspect, but the weapon models were like really wacked out in my opinion. but then the entire game is wacked out and the weapons are alien weapons from an alien world so maybe it works.

I was impressed by how fast and efficient the Sam2 engine is considering all the effects and stuff it does.

I'm wondering how Croteam can build a new engine, make a game with 45 levels or whatever it has, and all the new weapons and models, then sell it for 29.99 ????

Why can't Quake 4 or Half-Life 2 be 29.99 or 39.99?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Quake 4
166. Re: ... Oct 10, 2005, 17:10 Celestial Toad

I wonder if the doom3 autoexe.cfg / config.cfg graphics tweaks will work with Quake 4 since it uses the doom3 engine. I got Doom3 running like two or three times as fast on my system just by tweaking the .cfg file. It's scary how much difference it made.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

163. Re: Blue... Oct 8, 2005, 14:36 Celestial Toad

Uh I don't think Doom 3 had very good multiplayer... I loved the single player element, but honestly I think Counter Strike Source is waaaaay better for multiplayer. Hell even UT2004 with all its bouncy jumpiness is more fun.

-Albert Einstein

News Comments > Battle.Net Redesign
14. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 21:20 Celestial Toad

bleh

-Albert Einstein

News Comments > Battle.Net Teaser
46. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 11:40 Celestial Toad

World of Warcraft Expansion
StarCraft: Ghost
Diablo 3

I really doubt they would announce all that at the same time...

WoW: Expansion is already known, and StarCraft: Ghost has been seen. If they want to announce Diablo 3 I'll start paying the monthly fee for it six months before they release it lol.

-Albert Einstein

News Comments > DNF in December?
58. Re: Please do not Oct 7, 2005, 11:28 Celestial Toad

What engine is DNF using now? Is it the Doom 3 engine or UT2004? If it is UT2004 it's going to look a bit dated...

-Albert Einstein

159. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 11:19 Celestial Toad

I totally agree about the Original Quake, it rocked pretty hard. There are still people releasing add-ons and improvements for the original Quake also. I'm hoping Quake 5 will be a sequel to the original...

Check these files out, there are new textures, real time lighting, new models and all kinds of stuff for Quake 1:

Dark Places (get the latest stable/offical release)
http://www.icculus.org/twilight/dar...s/download.html

RT Lighting Effects
http://www.icculus.org/twilight/dar...021117_0935.zip

Updated Weapons
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp...atch_models.zip

Updated Ammo Boxes and Pick-ups
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp...obox_models.zip

Updated Textures (about 175mb download!)
http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/

Guides:

1) Patch your quake game to 1.08. You can find links to patchs on the net.

2) Open Dark Places and install into your Quake directory.

3) Extract the RT Lights into your Quake directory

4) Extract Updated Weapons into your Quake/ID1 directory. You will have to rename the file. It says something
like "MD_PackFileName.pak". Change it to "pak#.pak". (# is the next number in line. With the full version of quake it will be pak2.pak probably)

5) Extract Updated Ammo Boxes and Pick-ups into your Quake/ID1 directory. You will have to rename the file. It says something like "MD_PackFileName.pak". Change it to "pak#.pak" (# is the next number in numeric order. With the full version of quake it will be pak2.pak probably).

6) Extract the Updated Textures. There should be a txt file for installation.

SIDE NOTE: You can supposively get your quake game to play audio tracks without the original quake cd. Just do the following "rip the tracks into Ogg format and name then appropriately track02.ogg, track03.ogg, etc.. and place in your id1/sound/cdtracks folder"

Wait those links are broken but I think you can find it...

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 11:20.

News Comments > Battle.Net Teaser
27. Re: Hmm... Oct 7, 2005, 01:21 Celestial Toad

.999_=1

If you make the _ and x and solve for x you get:

x=(1/0.999)

1.001001001001 repeat to infinity

And translating that to text with ASCII you get:

&#8217;I$&#8217;

which is repeating:

I$&#8217;

And then replace the symbols with their corresponding numbers on the keyboard and you get:

I4738217;

D is the fourth letter in the alphabet
G " " seventh " "
C " " third " "
H " " eighth " "
B " " second " "
A " " first " "
G " " seventh " "

I think the I is for initials maybe telling us that the letters are initials for something, and the ; is the end line in C++ I think. I'm sure there is a message in there...

Or maybe I'm just on crack.

BLIZZARD Pleeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeeeeee maaaakkkee DIABLO 3.

thanks.

-Albert Einstein

156. Quake 4 site updated Oct 6, 2005, 10:57 Celestial Toad

Hey the Quake 4 site has been updated and now includes some gameplay videos and a deathmatch video. The DM does look to be very similar to Quake 3 arena, which is good for me because I loved Q3.

http://www.quake4game.com

-Albert Einstein

155. Re: Q4TF! Oct 5, 2005, 20:51 Celestial Toad

Maybe it's my monitor, I have a 9 year old 21 inch trinitron CRT and an MSI Geforce 6600gt 128 meg card, so I'm not seeing HL2 in it's full glory. But my monitor still looks very good considering it's age. I've seen the game on newer monitors and it doesn't look much different expcept for slightly higher image clarity.

I don't think it is necessarily "dull," maybe I overstated that. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm thinking. It may be the texturing, Half Life 1 and 2 both use a certain worn or used look for the textures, and Doom 3 has all this shiny metal with bump mapping everywhere and the like. So maybe it is the direct contrast since I went from Doom 3 straight into HL2 back when they came out. The textures in Far Cry also make HL2's texturing look less vibrant to my eyes.

I just thought of something else. I actually remember that id's Wolfenstein 3D scared the hell out of me back in 1991 or whenever that was. I think it was because I had not seen a 3D real time shooter before that, as I don't think they really existed, and the mere fact that it had not been done before lent it more power.

When System Shock 1 and 2 came out in 1994 or 1997 or whenever it was, we were much less jaded as gamers because we had not yet seen Half-Life or Quake 2 or Call of Duty, or zillions of these other games. So I think some of the power of the older games is due to the fact that we had not seen as much and they had more "room" to impress us back then.

It's amazing how much time we will spend arguing about these games lol.

-Albert Einstein

142. Re: Looking forward to it. Oct 4, 2005, 22:02 Celestial Toad

Ray...

I thought Doom 3 had indoor graphics that outdo any indoor graphics in Half-Life 2 by a large margin. Half-Life 2 has nice LARGE open areas that are not claustrophobic, and some of the levels in HL2 are very impressive, the big Lighthouse on the shore and huge bridge level really impressed me, but the HL2 engine was clearly designed for large outdoor levels where Doom 3 focused on small claustrophobic indoors stuff. I think a lot of people just prefer outdoor levels like Far Cry and HL2 offer and are not as fond of small indoor stuff so they don't like D3 as much.

Far Cry has very impressive graphics outdoors except for the "plastic" look some things tend to have (maybe it's just my system) but indoors it doesn't match Doom 3. So I say for indoors Doom 3 wins, for outdoors HL2 or Far Cry wins. But maybe Quake 4 will change that...

I have to disagree with you about the art direction in Doom 3. I think Doom 3 shows superior Art direction when compared to any other 3D game currently available. The color schemes, texturing, models and the overall cohesive and integrated look of Doom 3 shows a very matured art department. I've always thought Art was one of Id's strongest points other than their technology. If you look at the original Doom, notice how disparate and all over the spectrum things are as far as colors and monster design. They then overcompensated with Quake which was too narrowly focused on brownish drab dirty looking texturing and lack of color, and then with Quake 2 and Quake 3 you can really see the evolution and maturing of their art team as they learn to encorporate more color and varied textures into the work while maintaining a very cohesive and integrated set of art for the game.

Half Life 2 has good art for the most part, but it looks so faded and dull at times like everything has a layer of gray fog over it or something. I think the HL2 art team is trying to get the used and dirty look of a lived in world into their games, and thereby increase the visual realism.

Unfortunately it also makes the world seem kind of "dead" to me at times, and doesn't really have the vibrant ALIVE look that Far Cry attains. Just my opinion.

I also think comparing Doom 3 to a complete masterpiece like System Shock is a little silly, because I think that is the kind of game that comes around once every ten or fifteen years if we are lucky, and I really don't think Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Call of Duty, or anything else in recent years matches System Shock or Ultima Underworld. I think those are like the Holy Grail of computer gaming, and we really can't expect EVERYTHING that comes out to be that good because we will always be a bit disappointed...

-Albert Einstein
This comment was edited on Oct 4, 22:04.

News Comments > id Software Lawsuit - Adrian Carmack Fired
111. Re: We don't need no stinking degrees Oct 4, 2005, 00:09 Celestial Toad

Didn't they fire someone just before they started on Doom3?? What's with all these lawsuits. They should all get along fine they have bazillions of dollars. Now they've fired someone just before Quake 4 releases.

And since Doom 3 was such an amazing and spectacular game, I've already pre-ordered the hell out of the Quake 4 special edition. In fact I might pickup a second copy of Doom 3 when I go to pickup Quake 4. Just for the nostalgia or whatever.

-Albert Einstein

26. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 23:55 Celestial Toad

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I've already pre-ordered the special edition DVD version thing. I'm going to get Serious Sam II also. I thought Doom 3 was incredible (go ahead flame me I don't care) and if this is that good or better I'll be very happy.

Quake 4 has a lot of competition with COD2, SS2, FEAR, and the like. I've played demos of the above three and I really liked SS2 and COD2, but FEAR runs too damned slow on my machine. I don't think their engine is very well optimized because I can run HL2 and Doom3 just fine.

-Albert Einstein
This comment was edited on Oct 3, 23:59.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Expands
111. Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 20:42 Celestial Toad

Now THAT is ego-masturbation.

No actually THAT was self defense.

Most of the people here are intelligent, but that doesn't mean we have to start degree slinging around here.

Most of the people are intelligent? So we need you to tell us who is intelligent and who is not?

And btw, working on electrical engineering has nothing to do with thinking for yourself.

That comment was self defense. The posts from "Beamer" were filled with insults and I had to respond to that.

People who work at steel mills could potentially think for themselves more than you, so can it.

I seriously doubt that, but it sure sounds good.

Education and independent thought have nothing to do with each other.

Actually a good education will expand your mind and your knowledge base so that you are much more capable of independent thought.

-Albert Einstein
This comment was edited on Oct 25, 20:43.

104. Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 19:47 Celestial Toad

I am so sick of this statement. You do not have to be a game developer to criticize a game.

The point is not that you criticize a game, the point is that you repeatedly make EXTREMELY negative comments about Doom 3 and act like everyone shares your opinion, even though a quick look at online/paper reviews would show otherwise.

You can criticize whatever the hell you want.

Exactly, and that is why I criticize you.

I don't make movies, but I know that Pearl Harbor sucks.

You know that you did not like Pearl Harbor, but I guarantee you that there are people who did.

Toad, what would this world be if we couldn't judge unless we have done?
A much better place.

Do you approve of Bush as a president?
Considering the alternative, yes.

Also strange to see someone complaining about posts when he has these insightful ones in his history

I'm not allowed humor? That was a joke. Several people found it amusing. Go look up the word humor.

So he can't criticize PCG until he has made a magazine of his own, yet PCG can criticize games even though they've yet to make one of their own?

Don't confuse criticism with the mindless anti-Id rage that takes place here.

And the old Coconut Monkey game factory releases don't count.
Yes they do.

1) So he can't criticize PCG until he has made a magazine of his own, yet PCG can criticize games even though they've yet to make one of their own? And the old Coconut Monkey game factory releases don't count.
2) What, exactly, makes us less able to judge games verses the guys at PCG? Do they have a degree in game reviewing, and therefore their opinions are more valuable than ours?
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=52210&id=207072&boardid=1&view=threads

Who is he? I was arguing with myself there, on another thread. That was a joke. If you read it carefully you would understand that I was engaging in a flame war
with myself, as a joke. And why did you take something from a completely different thread and bring it here when you don't even understand what was going on there?

The point is that the same people say the same things about the same game over and over and over and over. We all know you don't like Doom 3. Is it really necessary to continue to spew this anti-Id Bile every single time anything Doom 3 related pops up in the news on this site? That is why I object to these criticisms of Doom 3.

Seriously, Toad, for someone with Einstein in your signature you do very, very little thinking for yourself.

The Einstein comment is meant as a joke, partially aimed at myself. I don't take myself that seriously. Too bad that joke went over your head also.

As for thinking for myself, I'm currently working on an electrical engineering degree at a major university, and I'm taking classes like differential equations and thermodynamics. Oh wait, am I taking myself seriously by saying that? But I don't think for myself do I? And I'm a mindless cow.

Your responses to me are done for much the same reason as this repeated negativity towards all things Id. Ego-Masturbation. It makes you feel a little better to bash someone else, or someone else's game repeatedly.

Let me reiterate that I object to all this Doom 3 hating because it goes way beyond criticism or opinion, it happens constantly every single time anything Id related pops up in the news.

-Albert Einstein

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 19:50.

98. Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 19:18 Celestial Toad

You probably read PC Gamer and CGW. Have their editors made any games? Nope, yet they criticize.

Yeah, they criticize, but both of those magazines gave Doom 3 very high ratings. So I don't think that helps your argument.

Most of the people here discussing their dislike for Doom 3 are doing it reasonably and civilized.

I don't suppose that you have read some of the anti Doom 3 crap posted on this thread have you? Reasonable and civilized? I don't see much of that here.

Disliking something doesn't make you a troll.

Repeating the same complaints about the same game over and over does make you a troll, especially when you are doing it only because you know that it pisses people off.

And are there really mods coming out for Doom 3

Yeah there are plenty of them being worked on. Go over to http://www.planetdoom.com

-Albert Einstein
This comment was edited on Oct 25, 19:20.

93. Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 19:02 Celestial Toad

Ok, I admit it, I'm a hater . . mostly against the repulsive squad of gamers that think they are the elite, yet hang out at places like SomethingAwful.com and spend their days critizing everything everyone else makes, yet can't produce anything quality on their own. It just bothers me like nothing else in the world when people do that

I agree totally. That pretty much sums up 99% of the Doom haters who lurk around this website. What have you produced of your own anyway? Except whining and bitching. Get over it.

-Albert Einstein

82. Re: Doom 3 Oct 25, 2004, 17:59 Celestial Toad

Had I know that supid shit I probably would NOT have bought it.

What?

-Albert Einstein

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Gold
309. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2004, 15:58 Celestial Toad

I feel that the power still immanates sufficiently that we may deign to fancy getting 325 posts upon this magnificent thread known to all noble and edumacated peoples in the world as THE HALF LIFE 2 GOLD THREAD. Or something.

Let us continue forwith and without any derision to utter completely meaningless statements in haphazard fashion.

Onward men!!!
We march for victory and War!!!

325 posts is at hand.

I will secure the northern flank, take the point.

-Albert Einstein

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Gold
305. Re: 303 Oct 24, 2004, 22:31 Celestial Toad

This thread is the alpha and the omega.
The beginning and the end.
The creator and the created.

You are not worthy of it's magnificence.
Kneel before your God, the Half Life 2 Gold Thread.

Amen

-Albert Einstein

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo