Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 104 (Novice)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > On Ubisoft DRM
26. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 04:49 Arithon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 23:19:
and from that point of view the requirement is a success

bwaaahahahahh Go check torrents you dolt.

Downloading a pirated copy was the only way to make my purchased copy function, due to the amount of time Ubisoft.com was down.

Support forum, main website and copy protection on single host domain for the TOTAL FAIL!

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?
15. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 Arithon

If it has DRM, don't buy the game.

As someone burned by Ass Creed 2, I can tell you "always on" puts the emphasis on you, but in fact it's Ubisoft whose site is "always down" meaning you cannot play a single player game with no online element, even thought it has been registered and activated, because they can't put 50p in the meter (or whatever excuse they give).

I couldn't even raise a support call because, yep, the site was down.

Always on DRM = Game unfit for use.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > Brink Postmortem
5. Re: Brink Postmortem Jul 25, 2011, 11:55 Arithon

Bad implementation of AI teams.
Dreadful buggy server code.

We set up a server and couldn't keep it running long enough for an evening's play.

Interest waned fast and now it's a dead game.

I could have told Splash damage the issues after five minutes, so who there didn't have the guts to stand up and say "this isn't ready to release"?

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition
4. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition Jul 25, 2011, 11:50 Arithon

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 10:46:
The next CoD game will have vehicles out the wazoo, it's a huge tickbox missing on feature comparison lists with the Battlefield series.
Do you mean "it's a huge tickbox ^that has been^ missing on feature comparison lists with the BF series" ?

Add "up to date graphics engine" to that list and then untick COD..

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
36. Re: BF3 Preorders Jul 25, 2011, 06:42 Arithon

entr0py wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 04:08:
Arithon wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 03:37:
When the NDA on the Alpha is lifted, that number will rise. Trust me.

I'm afraid that implying that the alpha is good is a violation of the NDA. Please hand in your alpha key. To me. In an e-mail.

Only if I describe in detail why it is totally awesome. Which I won't do. Preorder and thank me later.

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
33. Re: BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops Jul 25, 2011, 03:37 Arithon

When the NDA on the Alpha is lifted, that number will rise. Trust me.  

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
17. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 12:01 Arithon

wrlwnd wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 10:19:
Eh, if some idiot with no patience needs to pre-order a game, let him have his stupid weapon.

It will all get unlocked soon enough.

The pre-order bonus NEVER going to be available in-game (so DICE say).

Now, before tantrums ensue, this is something many people in the PC gaming community have ASKED FOR, so it shows DICE are listening.

This is a pre-order bonus ONLY available from selected RETAILERS, not digital. This encourages people to buy in their high street because they get something nobody else (including pirates) can get. More people ordering at retail renews interest in retailers stocking PC games in the high street. See where this is going?

Secondly, the bonus of flecette ammo for shotguns, while increasing the killing power, decreases range, so the game balance is preserved. It doesn't turn the shotgun into a one-shot-kill sniper-rifle.

I've personally pre-ordered through my clan's affliate link on Amazon. I'll get the "Karkand" DLC (which will be released to all later) on day 1, but I won't get the stuff in the "Physical Warfare pack" and I don't care.

Storm in a teacup, probably stirred by some grumpy-guts at Activision.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2011 Premium Packages
3. Re: QuakeCon 2011Premium Packages May 27, 2011, 10:03 Arithon

You had me at "Is there any gamer with an IQ above 70?"

Suddenly Call Of Duty came to mind. Weird.

News Comments > Penguin in Batman: Arkham City
6. Re: Penguin in Batman: Arkham City May 23, 2011, 09:16 Arithon

He needs to be wearing a dinner jacket (black tie) the proverbial "penguin suit" he gained the name from.  

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
9. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:44 Arithon

I'd say more like "Bad retail is good for Steam".
Steam prices are generally high for new titles, but their "Sale weekends" are excellent.
The thing that makes me consider Steam, is the lack of need for DVD's and patching.

The consipiracy between distributors and retailers to make PC games worthless makes them the engineers of the past slowdown in PC game sales. High prices, stupid DRM, no value for money, no resale options because of DRM, has killed the second-hand market for PC games, so gamers (in multiplatform households) buy the console versions instead and resell to get their money back.

If DRM was removed from all PC games sold at retail and high-street retailers started taking PC games in part exchange, the PC games market would grow rapidly on the high-street.

Steam and similar services have caused PC gaming to flourish despite the retailers and distributors best efforts to kill it off.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod tools Next Month
3. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod tools Next Month Apr 15, 2011, 04:11 Arithon

Who else sees a "Submit to DLC store for moderation" somewhere in that statement?
Can you see free maps and mods for CoD? No, me neither. There's a catch; they just haven't let on what it is yet.

News Comments > Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM
38. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 04:58 Arithon

• DRM costs money to implement.

• DRM costs money for each unit sold for licensing.

• DRM is not a "mild inconvenience" it's a royal pain in the arse and now (next to price) the biggest reason for skipping a game.

• DRM doesn't stop piracy, it just punishes the buying customer for paying.

• Drop DRM, pass on the cost saving and sell more units as a result.

After the demo of Crysis 2 was deactivated (although still listed on Steam) I find it unlikely that I will buy this game anyway. Blame piracy if it makes you feel better.

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
    3. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:27 Arithon

He's got a short memory. Like most older gamers, I remember DLL hell, games not running simply because you had the wrong make or model of video card and the constant tweaking needed to get games to work at all. I remember having a very powerful PowerVR video card but not being able to run most games because they all ran with 3DFX.

DirectX has many flaws, but they are more than compensated for by the advantages of a unified development platform for the PC, regardless of video hardware.

Performance issues are more likely caused by code being developed to run on Intel or AMD and not optimised for just one. Innovation is being "limited" in games by politics not hardware matters, such as the decision to NOT have a battlefield commander in BF3, as DICE says they want to "Simplify" which in my opinion means "Dumb down". That's not caused by restrictions of the DirectX API, or the hardware limitations of consoles, but an attempt to appeal to the lowest common (console) audience.

I think Huddy has it wrong.

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support
    9. Re: On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support Mar 11, 2011, 03:50 Arithon

No LAN support, no commander, only four classes, but as long as it supports the pointless 3D fad, well that's all right then...

It's what DICE calls “make the threshold lower” and I call "consolitis".

News Comments > CryENGINE 3 GDC Trailer
    7. Re: CryENGINE 3 GDC Trailer Mar 8, 2011, 04:06 Arithon

It's a shame.

The potential of this engine on the PC for games and mods is great, but the current policy of EA and their ilk, is to block modding, milk DLC and dumb down everything for consoles, sorry, "multi-platform", so the end result will probably see 1% of its potential.

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
    23. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 23, 2011, 03:56 Arithon

spindoctor wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 00:51:
    necrosis wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:09:
    Thank you for making our uphill battle against this sort of DRM even harder.

So my 50$ not only gets me what is hopefully an excellent and extremely fun to play game, it also fucks over the whiners? God damn that sounds too good to be true

reisub wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:20:
    Hmm, no buy then, even in a Steam sale. Don't know why I thought it was a one time thing. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Do you know that whenever you launch a game from Steam while it's online, it actually does authenticate the game from the Steam servers? Every single time. Yes, I know Steam has this fantastic offline mode that you will use to argue my point, but tell me this... what is the split between the time you spend on Steam online and offline? Because when you are online, you are actually submitting to the exact thing that you now find so unpalatable. You should stop using Steam in online mode and stick only to offline mode forever. That's the only way to avoid initial authentication.

The difference is pretty simple. My internet connection is fine. But the day after I bought Arse Creed2, UBISOFT.com was dead - all day. So I couldn't play the game I have bought and paid for. No options, no redress and I can't take it back to the shop.
    If Steam is down, TF2 and L4D2 run just dandy. THAT'S the difference.
    UbiSoft are simple-minded and incompetant. I have to resort to game hacks to make the game I bought work. Where's the piracy prevention in that? I won't buy another Ubisoft game again. Where's the "positive" effect of DRM now?

I sincerely hope Ubisoft go out of business.

News Comments > Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans?
    3. Re: Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans? Feb 21, 2011, 09:18 Arithon

Yep. Riddick was the exception.

Thing is when BF2142 was announced, everyone hoped "future war" meant humans Vs aliens in a battlefield game model. But that never happened.

Why don't the makers of B:LA get DICE to make BF:LA? Christ, all they need is models and sfx from the movie and use BF3 as a base. It's practically a mod screaming to happen!

News Comments > Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful
    48. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Feb 18, 2011, 11:44 Arithon

Dunkirk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 10:09:
    Good grief! I can't believe the level of vitriol I'm seeing here. Video games are a great value for entertainment. Even at $50, the cost per hour of video gaming is virtually nothing compared to almost any other form of entertainment I can think of. So what if you buy a stinker now or then. Shoot, by the time you figure out you don't like a game, you've probably already played it for 2 or 3 hours. That alone would make it worth at least some money.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a good sense of what I'd like. I threw some money at the indy's during the Steam sales and the Humble Bundles, but I knew I wouldn't care for those games. I just thought it would be cool to support them. Sure enough, I don't really like most (almost all) of them, but I spent time playing around with them before I could tell, and that's worth something. In general, I've only given up and not finished a handful of games over the past 15 years because I didn't like them. I'd say the gamble has averaged out and paid off. For every one I didn't finish, I've played 5 through a dozen times.

You don't think you'd like it? Fine. Don't buy it. But NOT buying it REGARDLESS of whether you think you'd like it, BECAUSE there's no demo? Please. I think you're taking your $50 entertainment budget a little too seriously.

"No demo" might be fine for console gamers who all have the same hardware, but many PC gamers cannot trust the recommended specs on the box because they LIE. A demo can confirm a game will indeed run on your PC and not require the highest spec PC & GFX to get more than 15fps. Game reviews are less and less reliable, since the media don't want to risk losing advertisers by posting a bad review. For example COD:BO online is a consolised twitch-shooter. Find a review that tells you that! Play the game and you find out straight away. Had a demo been availble I could have stopped my wife wasting my Christmas present.

Games in the UK cost £40 ($64US) so taking a punt on a game without a demo could be a massive waste of money. Video games are not great value. Even with the absurd rise in cinema ticket prices (from £5 to £10 in five years) you could go and see four three-hour films for the same money and have a demo (trailer) beforehand. That's twelve hours of entertainment, not 3-6, so games are NOT good value for money.

How do we know if the game is any good WITHOUT playing it? Maybe you have loads of spare cash to waste in a recession, but the rest of us don't. Clearly it is "just you".

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
    6. Re: Gabe Newell Interview Feb 10, 2011, 11:39 Arithon

Not Half-Life 3, Half-Life2 Episode 3 - the missing part we were promised three years ago.

Where is it?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Relaxed?
    59. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Feb 4, 2011, 05:09 Arithon

On Tuesday night (the day after buying the game) I could not play Assasin's Creed 2, not because my internet connection was down but because Ubi.com was totally offline!!!!

Surely this breaks the contract of sale, as the only caviat for the game to work is that *the purchaser* has a working internet connection. Failure on the distrubutors part should entitle me to a refund or DRM removal?

104 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo