Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 92 (Suspect)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
3. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:27 Arithon

He's got a short memory. Like most older gamers, I remember DLL hell, games not running simply because you had the wrong make or model of video card and the constant tweaking needed to get games to work at all. I remember having a very powerful PowerVR video card but not being able to run most games because they all ran with 3DFX.

DirectX has many flaws, but they are more than compensated for by the advantages of a unified development platform for the PC, regardless of video hardware.

Performance issues are more likely caused by code being developed to run on Intel or AMD and not optimised for just one. Innovation is being "limited" in games by politics not hardware matters, such as the decision to NOT have a battlefield commander in BF3, as DICE says they want to "Simplify" which in my opinion means "Dumb down". That's not caused by restrictions of the DirectX API, or the hardware limitations of consoles, but an attempt to appeal to the lowest common (console) audience.

I think Huddy has it wrong.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support
9. Re: On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support Mar 11, 2011, 03:50 Arithon

No LAN support, no commander, only four classes, but as long as it supports the pointless 3D fad, well that's all right then...

It's what DICE calls “make the threshold lower” and I call "consolitis".

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > CryENGINE 3 GDC Trailer
7. Re: CryENGINE 3 GDC Trailer Mar 8, 2011, 04:06 Arithon

It's a shame.

The potential of this engine on the PC for games and mods is great, but the current policy of EA and their ilk, is to block modding, milk DLC and dumb down everything for consoles, sorry, "multi-platform", so the end result will probably see 1% of its potential.

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
23. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 23, 2011, 03:56 Arithon

spindoctor wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 00:51:
necrosis wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:09:
Thank you for making our uphill battle against this sort of DRM even harder.

So my 50$ not only gets me what is hopefully an excellent and extremely fun to play game, it also fucks over the whiners? God damn that sounds too good to be true

reisub wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:20:
Hmm, no buy then, even in a Steam sale. Don't know why I thought it was a one time thing. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Do you know that whenever you launch a game from Steam while it's online, it actually does authenticate the game from the Steam servers? Every single time. Yes, I know Steam has this fantastic offline mode that you will use to argue my point, but tell me this... what is the split between the time you spend on Steam online and offline? Because when you are online, you are actually submitting to the exact thing that you now find so unpalatable. You should stop using Steam in online mode and stick only to offline mode forever. That's the only way to avoid initial authentication.

The difference is pretty simple. My internet connection is fine. But the day after I bought Arse Creed2, UBISOFT.com was dead - all day. So I couldn't play the game I have bought and paid for. No options, no redress and I can't take it back to the shop.
If Steam is down, TF2 and L4D2 run just dandy. THAT'S the difference.
UbiSoft are simple-minded and incompetant. I have to resort to game hacks to make the game I bought work. Where's the piracy prevention in that? I won't buy another Ubisoft game again. Where's the "positive" effect of DRM now?

I sincerely hope Ubisoft go out of business.

News Comments > Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans?
3. Re: Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans? Feb 21, 2011, 09:18 Arithon

Yep. Riddick was the exception.

Thing is when BF2142 was announced, everyone hoped "future war" meant humans Vs aliens in a battlefield game model. But that never happened.

Why don't the makers of B:LA get DICE to make BF:LA? Christ, all they need is models and sfx from the movie and use BF3 as a base. It's practically a mod screaming to happen!

News Comments > Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful
48. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Feb 18, 2011, 11:44 Arithon

Dunkirk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 10:09:
Good grief! I can't believe the level of vitriol I'm seeing here. Video games are a great value for entertainment. Even at $50, the cost per hour of video gaming is virtually nothing compared to almost any other form of entertainment I can think of. So what if you buy a stinker now or then. Shoot, by the time you figure out you don't like a game, you've probably already played it for 2 or 3 hours. That alone would make it worth at least some money.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a good sense of what I'd like. I threw some money at the indy's during the Steam sales and the Humble Bundles, but I knew I wouldn't care for those games. I just thought it would be cool to support them. Sure enough, I don't really like most (almost all) of them, but I spent time playing around with them before I could tell, and that's worth something. In general, I've only given up and not finished a handful of games over the past 15 years because I didn't like them. I'd say the gamble has averaged out and paid off. For every one I didn't finish, I've played 5 through a dozen times.

You don't think you'd like it? Fine. Don't buy it. But NOT buying it REGARDLESS of whether you think you'd like it, BECAUSE there's no demo? Please. I think you're taking your $50 entertainment budget a little too seriously.

"No demo" might be fine for console gamers who all have the same hardware, but many PC gamers cannot trust the recommended specs on the box because they LIE. A demo can confirm a game will indeed run on your PC and not require the highest spec PC & GFX to get more than 15fps. Game reviews are less and less reliable, since the media don't want to risk losing advertisers by posting a bad review. For example COD:BO online is a consolised twitch-shooter. Find a review that tells you that! Play the game and you find out straight away. Had a demo been availble I could have stopped my wife wasting my Christmas present.

Games in the UK cost £40 ($64US) so taking a punt on a game without a demo could be a massive waste of money. Video games are not great value. Even with the absurd rise in cinema ticket prices (from £5 to £10 in five years) you could go and see four three-hour films for the same money and have a demo (trailer) beforehand. That's twelve hours of entertainment, not 3-6, so games are NOT good value for money.

How do we know if the game is any good WITHOUT playing it? Maybe you have loads of spare cash to waste in a recession, but the rest of us don't. Clearly it is "just you".

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
6. Re: Gabe Newell Interview Feb 10, 2011, 11:39 Arithon

Not Half-Life 3, Half-Life2 Episode 3 - the missing part we were promised three years ago.

Where is it?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Relaxed?
59. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Feb 4, 2011, 05:09 Arithon

On Tuesday night (the day after buying the game) I could not play Assasin's Creed 2, not because my internet connection was down but because Ubi.com was totally offline!!!!

Surely this breaks the contract of sale, as the only caviat for the game to work is that *the purchaser* has a working internet connection. Failure on the distrubutors part should entitle me to a refund or DRM removal?

News Comments > UK Group Reports Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. Re: UK Group Reports Call of Duty: Black Ops Jan 25, 2011, 12:15 Arithon

Safe to say (having read both articles) that Pachter is "a dick".

Black Ops is what I've come to expect from the kings of rinse and repeat FPS. Buggy, short on content and specially watered dumbed down for the console massess.

I got it for Christmas so, like unwanted socks, I can't take it back.

Imagine, for a moment, that you bought a fridge, which when plugged in, would occasionally defrost itself and the door open itself every third time it was closed. Then the retailer tells you that you will have to collect a remedy to the door problem from the shop and that you'll just have to live with the random defrosting. Then you find that the plug welded itself to your wall and so the fridge can never be sold on, only dumped. Would you consider this a good product from a professional company? Or a shoddy rip off from a dodgy dealer?

Obviously games aren't fridges, but they are retail products that should meet some minimum consumer requirements.

Michael Pachter thinks that people who expect to get what they pay for and don't are "cry babies". Someone please sell him a used car. Make sure it's knackered.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 10, 2011, 09:21 Arithon

By an odd coincidence, I got Back Ops and Metro 2033 both for Christmas. Both good, but different.

Black Ops online is Quake 3 with less guns. You couldn't get more of a twitch-shooter. That doesn't make it bad, just lacking in finesse and strategy.

News Comments > On Bad Company 2 Stats
5. Re: On Bad Company 2 Stats Dec 30, 2010, 03:54 Arithon

There's a problem with the stats? I hadn't noticed..  

News Comments > Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced
7. Re: Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced Sep 28, 2010, 11:09 Arithon

This one is wearing a red shirt for sure.  

News Comments > On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment
18. Re: On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment Sep 24, 2010, 11:25 Arithon

Lamentable. A broken afterthought. Transparently flawed by design.

Their only recent efforts were a gutless marketing ploy to shift the lame duck, Vista by vommiting out shoddy console ports with a "Vista Only" sticker on them in the hope someone would be clueless enough to fall for it.

Make a PC exclusive version of HALO 3 and never release it for the XBRICK and we'll start to think you might be serious.

News Comments > PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy
57. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV in Doubt Due to Piracy Sep 22, 2010, 05:22 Arithon

In other news, Rolex stop making watches because replicas make it unprofitable.. ????

Same idea, just as stupid. Just as unrelated to fact.

Stop blaming piracy and using it as a smokescreen for your own agenda.

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
22. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 05:14 Arithon

I think you could correct him by qualifying that "nobody plays crappy console ports of FPS shooters on the PC"
That I would agree with.

News Comments > Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor
8. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 10:47 Arithon

Wait until old Jack finds out it won't have dedicated servers on the PC version! He'll really go crazy then!!!!

News Comments > Doctor Who in the UK
5. Re: Doctor Who in the UK Jun 3, 2010, 03:09 Arithon

It's a BBC game. The BBC is funded by UK TV license payers. So people in the UK have already paid. It's not complicated.

If I want to watch US TV shows, I would have to pay for a SKY TV subscription.

Nothing is free - anyone who tells different is not to be trusted!

News Comments > Cecil on Piracy and Economics
7. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 05:14 Arithon

It's one E so it's pronounced Sessil, not Seesall.

On the Steam Vs Boxed issue, most DRM now uses a unique serial (or worse), which means you can never resell the game anyway.

Games are overpriced and the box is now not a box, there is no manual and nothing else of value when you pay your money.
Plus as our Aussie mate points out, Steam and other online retailers are an uneven playing field, making fast and lose with exchange rates. With prices often higher by far than the retail boxed copy.

Cecil is right when he says things must change. Digital distribution needs to be cheaper to reflect the lower costs. Valves 75% off weekends have proven the sales model.

Boxed copies should be BOXED (not some cheap crappy DVD case) and have SOMETHING in the box, preferrably not a DRM that prevent's resale. What is the irony of a "collectors edition" that you cannot resell to a collector?

This comment was edited on May 6, 2010, 05:21.

News Comments > Games Compared to Drugs (Again)
2. Re: Games Compared to Drugs (Again) Apr 28, 2010, 09:57 Arithon

Whatever keeps the 8% off the streets.

Anyone with children or a job couldn't spend that long gaming. I'd say the parents or welfare system should take more of the blame. The headline should read "Idle people sometimes turn to computer games to fill up their time".

Talk about blaming a symptom for the disease...

If they weren't gaming they'd be watching Ricky Lake (or similar), collecting trainsets in the back bedroom or exposing themselves in public parks. I'd say gaming is pretty harmless as pastimes go.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success
11. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:13 Arithon

Sucess of what? Not piracy prevention. There are 12,162 seeders and 21,034 downloaders of AC2 on the first torrent site I looked at. They have a DRM server emulator and re-direct all URLs to localhost. Cracked. Just like that!

I won't buy a game with this kind of DRM nonsense. So, success? Yes, they succedeed in making me not buy the game I had pre-ordered (now cancelled).

Piracy went through the roof when games stopped having any intrinsic value. Games went from boxed collectables, to a bland DVDs in an empty generic plastic case. This was several YEARS before internet broadband and game downloads were possible.

You cannot download pewter figurines, mousemats, posters, (good)manuals, keycards etc.

In the meantime, rewarding the pirate and punishing the paying customer is not in any sense a "success" unless your agenda is to kill the PC gaming business.

DRM isn't free. Drop it and pass on the cost saving. Cheaper game AND no DRM? Who WOULDN'T buy it? THAT would be a success..

92 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo