Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 101 (Novice)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
31. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:26 Arithon

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:55:
Here we go again with the typical knee-jerk reaction of y'allz stealing faggots who feel like they got caught red-handed when numbers like this are presented. Yes, my dear friends. The realization that YOU are the problem may be a tough one but that's how it is. Stop stealing and maybe we'll see a trend to better PC games one day.

Such a display of I-bought-the-propaganda anal ventriloquism beggars belief!

The numbers are (as always) a made up figure with zero basis in any kind of fact. I can surmise with a fair degree of certainty that UbiSoftís sales department simply added the number of seeders and leechers on every torrent site they could find and multiplied that figure by a random factor, then counted the number as ďstolen copiesĒ. Not even an accurate representation of true downloads. Let a alone a true figure of who *might* have bought a game they couldnít download for free. If I offer you a no-strings-attached free Ferrari F40 I made myself, more than a few people would take one. That doesnít mean if I withdrew the offer, that these people would then rush out and buy a $600,000 car. Thatís at best, a laughable premise.

If his argument bore any validity, then I could argue using the same flawed logic that a million times the customers were lost to DRM than ever were to piracy.

Having been stung by Ubiís draconian DRM on Ass Creed 2, being unable to play single player BECAUSE THEIR WEBSITE was down, I will never buy another game they publish. Nor, for the same reason, would I pirate the buggy crap they churn out!

If their sales have actually dropped 90%+ (a likely tale) then they should look closer to home for the cause.

Free2Play is pimping PCís as advertising space and with each new title the revenue stream gets thinner. Itís a venture thatís born to fail.

The best selling PC games in recent years had little or no DRM, LAN support and single-player. If you want to sell 10-11 million copies of a title on the PC platform, then wake up and smell the coffee.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
3. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 10:57 Arithon

So Stardock's saleswoman had full uncontrolled access to game assets? Hello? McFly?

Anyone else think that might have been a bad idea?

And if she didn't, they are saying the game was an un-polished turd because she put sales graphs in the bin? eh?

Good luck to the Judge on that one!

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline
19. Re: U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline Aug 10, 2012, 10:55 Arithon

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 06:13:
Are all of the writers who wrote "Is PC Gaming Dead" articles every other day going to start writing "Is Gaming Dead" articles now?

Console gaming is dead - at least for the current generation of consoles.

Market research firm IDC reported that PC shipments totalled 86.7 million units last quarter, down 0.1% from the year earlier period. So consoles & console game sales are falling 230 times faster than PC's over the same period.

So much for the "PCs are dead" bandwagon.

The interest in OUYA, the open-source Android console is therefore unsurprising. Any market with a single seller is always an overpriced monopolistic ecosystem (Microsoft's XBOX, Sony's PS3, Apple, etc.). So a console where the hardware accessories, upgrades and games can be made by or bought from anyone (like the PC) may prove an attractive prospect.

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
2. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 11:08 Arithon

RAGE faded to disappointment.  

News Comments > Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?
25. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 05:11 Arithon

A smarter company would have spent some of the money from WoW and CoD to make new IP's and build a large and varied set of development studios, but not Activision. No way. They just milked the cash-cow and pocketed the money.
Now the end of the milk run is in sight and the other farmers are gettin' cold feet...

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
49. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 06:28 Arithon

And in other news, Hitler misses out on Humanitarian award...

Just last night, as my BF3 game crashed to desktop with the "EA Servers are Offline" message, I thought to myself, "EA deserve an award for their customer service".

It's a shame that "always on" DRM doesn't apply to BOTH parties...

Anyway, at least EA won't with the European awards (short of publicly executing disabled children) since they have to go up against UBISOFT!

News Comments > Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward
12. Re: Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward Mar 27, 2012, 03:38 Arithon

He must have had a PC...  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 in October
9. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 in October Feb 16, 2012, 07:00 Arithon

Oh goody! Another "cashcow" lacklustre sequel crippled by DRM, released half a year later the the consoles and riddled with bugs. I can't wait!

PC gaming isn't dead, but the likes of UbiSoft are trying very hard to smother it with a dirty pillow...

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall Jan 27, 2012, 11:57 Arithon

"Delayed to FAIL?"

So, like RAGE, we'll get a buggy console port of a game that promises much and delivers little?

Want your game to succeed?
(A) DEVELOP FOR ONE PLATFORM at a time. PC gamers don't want a console title (or they'd have bought a console - Dah!)
(B) Press BLACKOUT. Promote the finished product, not vapour-ware that bears no relation to what you release.
(C) Release at the same time everywhere and make any DRM easier to use than to circumvent. i.e. pirates should not enjoy the game more than paying customers. UBISOFT, I'm looking at you!!

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
41. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 03:48 Arithon

MuzixMon wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 21:12:
After Rage and the abomination that it turned out to be I lost much respect for id. The shoddy PC port for the once mighty PC developer was a insult to their core audience and the damage they did their reputation is devastating.

Totally agree - I didn't buy RAGE because it was a console port, but my son did and he regretted it. The game was unplayable when installed.

ID should have stuck to PC development and licensed the consolisation of their titles to others, instead they applied the "jack of all trades" approach and made shoddy sh#t for every platform.

It's a sad day for ID software, but inevitable with their current development direction. They've gone from leading developer on the foremost platform, to just another B- developer in world of "crank 'em out for every platform" companies.

Sell your shares quick.

News Comments > BRINK Free Weekend
12. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 03:50 Arithon

I bought the game and I wouldn't play it. Free weekend? You'd have to have a PAID weekend before I re-install Brink. Sorry.  

News Comments > Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development
2. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 1, 2011, 09:49 Arithon

Ambition and creativity once again crushed by greed and the distributors rush-to-market.  

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
47. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 07:52 Arithon

They had me at "IW Doesn't care..".

Really? I hadn't noticed! Oh, wait - sloppy console ports with sub-standard graphics, ADHD game play, the letters "XP" flying at you from every direction and no dedicated servers, yes - now I remember why I dropped the whole COD franchise, I don't care about them!

News Comments > 1.5 M Battlefield 3 Preorders
7. Re: 1.5 M Battlefield 3 Preorders Sep 21, 2011, 10:49 Arithon

Tumbler wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 10:28:
..but then all that DLC weapon unlock bs happened and things keep getting hazy..

It was pretty clearly spelt out. Pre-order to get extra DLC at launch, that you won't otherwise be able to get until later.

Back to Karkand, Physical Warfare Pack and SPECACT Kit multiplayer skins are available depending who you buy from (all if you buy through Origin).

Has that cleared the hazy BS for you?

News Comments > Xbox LIVE on Windows 8
41. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 05:49 Arithon

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:45:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:25:
I don't know about you guys... but the "Windows-7-Phone-Metro-Hideous-Colored Post-It Note-Tile-Interface" is about the ugliest shit I've seen from Microsoft since MS Bob.

I think you'll find yourself (surprisingly) in the minority with that opinion.

Not really. Who the hell wants Windows functions hidden behind a tinsel firewall?
Faster, leaner, less RAM hungry, yes. LEGO Windows? No.

And XBOX Live? Wasn't GFWL a big enough disaster? Clearly not.

News Comments > 1.25 Million BF3 Preorders
27. Re: 1.25 Million BF3 Preorders Sep 8, 2011, 04:08 Arithon

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 22:53:
I'll never understand why people buy this sort of garbage. Then again, I'll never understand why they do things like watch reality tv, and all the other network garbage out there.

That's what I like to see; intelligent constructive criticism, backed up with strong argument and empirical evidence.
If the BattleField series is "garbage" what titles are not? What makes it bad and the other good?
I don't play Facebook (Zynga) games, but they have merits to other people, which means while I don't like them, there's nothing wrong with them. To arbitrarily declare anything I don't like "garbage" would make me an idiot. Which is where we differ.
Comparing a team-based multi-player PC game to the likes of Big Brother, as if they have anything in common, shows how enormous your lack of understanding is, of either subject.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming
19. Re: Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming Aug 4, 2011, 11:10 Arithon

I think the absurd quest for "fool proof" DRM in a vain attempt to slay the mythical piracy dragon has killed PC retail.

How many game stores near you sell PC games? How much shelf space do they get? How much do they offer on trade in for PC titles?

All those questions have negative answers because distrubutors (not developers) have damaged the "product" with DRM and key systems that mean you cannot resell a PC game. I can buy and XBOX title or DS game, rip it and trade it in, so why are PC's singled out? Because in the "war on piracy" the PC has always been painted as the "bad guy" and admitting they were wrong is to admit defeat. Which they'll never do.

So instead, PC retail has died a death and online retailers and digital distribution systems have picked up the slack.

PC gamers are still here and always will be.

DRM has failed. Welcome to the 21st century. Now release PC games in a resaleble form. Retailers are happy. Put codes on DLC - you can resell that to each new owner, you get an income. Support modding - keep the titles alive longer - recoup on DLC for longer. It's not rocket science.

News Comments > On Ubisoft DRM
26. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 04:49 Arithon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 23:19:
and from that point of view the requirement is a success

bwaaahahahahh Go check torrents you dolt.

Downloading a pirated copy was the only way to make my purchased copy function, due to the amount of time Ubisoft.com was down.

Support forum, main website and copy protection on single host domain for the TOTAL FAIL!

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?
15. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 Arithon

If it has DRM, don't buy the game.

As someone burned by Ass Creed 2, I can tell you "always on" puts the emphasis on you, but in fact it's Ubisoft whose site is "always down" meaning you cannot play a single player game with no online element, even thought it has been registered and activated, because they can't put 50p in the meter (or whatever excuse they give).

I couldn't even raise a support call because, yep, the site was down.

Always on DRM = Game unfit for use.

News Comments > Brink Postmortem
5. Re: Brink Postmortem Jul 25, 2011, 11:55 Arithon

Bad implementation of AI teams.
Dreadful buggy server code.

We set up a server and couldn't keep it running long enough for an evening's play.

Interest waned fast and now it's a dead game.

I could have told Splash damage the issues after five minutes, so who there didn't have the guts to stand up and say "this isn't ready to release"?

101 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo