Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 92 (Suspect)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny PC Clue
5. Re: Destiny PC Clue Feb 19, 2013, 10:32 Arithon

I can barely contain my indifference.

Bungie said "keyboard-and-mouse players are getting less and less important", but what I heard was "Bungie is now irrelevant to gaming".

Weird huh?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Arkham Game Revealed
1. Re: New Arkham Game Revealed Feb 12, 2013, 09:36 Arithon

I found Arkham city too much of retread of the original game and it lacked in both plot improvements, originality or graphical advancement.
Not a bad game in isolation, but compared to the first, it was more like large DLC than a "new" game.
If the next Batman game is "more of the same" then I'll skip it. I played that game twice already.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"
12. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 Arithon

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:52:
You must be crazy or blind, because RAGE is one of the best looking games of all time, on console or PC.

Rattlehead

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but really? There are a dozen games, half of which are much older than look better!
RAGE is visually comparable to Unreal Engine 3 games. While the game came out in 2011, the engine tech was devised (and apparently stuck) in 2007, the game was bug-ridden on release and barely ran on a high powered gaming rig.

RAGE is a monument to what happens when a game developer concentrates on the console platforms and squeezes out a steaming pile of PC port as an afterthought.

News Comments > New 3DMark
5. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 07:01 Arithon

I see little value in recent benchmarks, since most are now "on this weeks cards / hardware"

I want to see how much bang-for-buck I get for my money compared to the 2010 video card I have in my PC right now.

There are some sites that give you "HD5870 vs GTX660Ti" for example, but they are the exception.

The problem with new benchmark software is it removes the ability to compare with previous hardware. i.e. 3Dmark06 (from 2010) gives my card "23611" but 3Dmark11 (from last year) gives the 660 Ti "9027". That's no help to anyone. Both cards will run in my PC, so I want a meaningful comparison.

If 3DMark have a database of comparable test results for hardware going back some time that they share with purchasers of the software, then I'd be interested to know more, otherwise not.

News Comments > EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a "Rest"
16. Re: EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a Jan 31, 2013, 05:41 Arithon

MOH: Warfighter was a boring and mediocre retread. I was given it last October and couldn't bring myself to even finish it. The multi-player was the worst example of a run-n-gun twitch-shooter COD clone. Graphically and game play wise it was a horrible experience, the single-player was so scripted, nearly 40% of the time, you were just watching rather than playing.

If it got bad reviews, it shows that reviewers still have a conscience!

EA blaming the franchise, they are showing their typical ignorance and arrogance. It's not the game, but what you did with it!

Develop something original, and develop on each specific platform. Console games can be good and so can PC games, but console games are terrible on the PC and PC games won't bend to fit on the older console platforms. Jack of all trades is master of none.

If you expect people to pay such high prices for games (£40+ / $65+) then they should be WORTH it. Or drop the price by 30% to reflect the 30% of content you held back, only to dribble out later as overpriced DLC.

News Comments > Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes.
7. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:34 Arithon

So to summarise, "stuck in 2008 visuals", poor configuration & set up options and "pay to win" micro-transactions.
Wow! What's not to like?

News Comments > Play.com Leaving Retail
1. Re: Play.com Leaving Retail Jan 9, 2013, 10:50 Arithon

Sad, but it's been on the cards since they sold to Rakuten.

Started buying DVD's and CD's from them in 2002 because they were half the price of the high street. How was VAT (17.5% at the time) free 50% cheaper than the high street? Ask the BPI and the rest of the greed industry why CD's and films cost so much over the odds (32.5% more), when they have control of the supply chain....
THAT isn't caused by piracy, but may well cause it.

News Comments > Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration"
20. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 11:49 Arithon

Funny.

I read that as saying "I am a nobody PR monkey who doesn't want to lose his job by speaking without authorisation from the organ grinder.."

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
45. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:01 Arithon

The confusion here is why they made the statement at all.

HALO was, and is, a joke as a PC game. It practically invented the phrase "crappy console port".

It was graphically inferior to UNREAL, released five years earlier and could hardly compete with better titles that year, such as the original Call of Duty (which was at that time a PC only game) and more sophisticated titles like Max Payne 2.

In other news:- Nintendo announce they are not releasing Pokemon {pick a colour} on the iPod....

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett DLC Next Week
10. Re: Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett DLC Next Week Oct 11, 2012, 11:06 Arithon

Doesn't this breach copyright IP of Captain Scarlet? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Scarlet_and_the_Mysterons)

Surely adding the extra "T" doesn't let you off the hook, or can we have a new game called "The Muppett Show" or "Harry Potta" and get away with it? Distinctly dodgy.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Specs
11. Re: Assassin's Creed III Specs Sep 27, 2012, 08:47 Arithon

"Hard Drive Space: 17 GB"

That's 34 times larger than the Windows XP operating system!!

Can you say "unoptimised, lazy console port?"

I bet they spend at least a week longer on the DRM than they did developing the PC version.

Two series of any TV programme would only take 16GB and provide 48 hours of entertainment, for less money. Without requiring UbiSoft to keep their website working. Plus they'll have replay value...

I'll pass.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
31. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:26 Arithon

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:55:
Here we go again with the typical knee-jerk reaction of y'allz stealing faggots who feel like they got caught red-handed when numbers like this are presented. Yes, my dear friends. The realization that YOU are the problem may be a tough one but that's how it is. Stop stealing and maybe we'll see a trend to better PC games one day.

Such a display of I-bought-the-propaganda anal ventriloquism beggars belief!

The numbers are (as always) a made up figure with zero basis in any kind of fact. I can surmise with a fair degree of certainty that UbiSoftís sales department simply added the number of seeders and leechers on every torrent site they could find and multiplied that figure by a random factor, then counted the number as ďstolen copiesĒ. Not even an accurate representation of true downloads. Let a alone a true figure of who *might* have bought a game they couldnít download for free. If I offer you a no-strings-attached free Ferrari F40 I made myself, more than a few people would take one. That doesnít mean if I withdrew the offer, that these people would then rush out and buy a $600,000 car. Thatís at best, a laughable premise.

If his argument bore any validity, then I could argue using the same flawed logic that a million times the customers were lost to DRM than ever were to piracy.

Having been stung by Ubiís draconian DRM on Ass Creed 2, being unable to play single player BECAUSE THEIR WEBSITE was down, I will never buy another game they publish. Nor, for the same reason, would I pirate the buggy crap they churn out!

If their sales have actually dropped 90%+ (a likely tale) then they should look closer to home for the cause.

Free2Play is pimping PCís as advertising space and with each new title the revenue stream gets thinner. Itís a venture thatís born to fail.

The best selling PC games in recent years had little or no DRM, LAN support and single-player. If you want to sell 10-11 million copies of a title on the PC platform, then wake up and smell the coffee.

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
3. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 10:57 Arithon

So Stardock's saleswoman had full uncontrolled access to game assets? Hello? McFly?

Anyone else think that might have been a bad idea?

And if she didn't, they are saying the game was an un-polished turd because she put sales graphs in the bin? eh?

Good luck to the Judge on that one!

News Comments > U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline
19. Re: U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline Aug 10, 2012, 10:55 Arithon

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 06:13:
Are all of the writers who wrote "Is PC Gaming Dead" articles every other day going to start writing "Is Gaming Dead" articles now?

Console gaming is dead - at least for the current generation of consoles.

Market research firm IDC reported that PC shipments totalled 86.7 million units last quarter, down 0.1% from the year earlier period. So consoles & console game sales are falling 230 times faster than PC's over the same period.

So much for the "PCs are dead" bandwagon.

The interest in OUYA, the open-source Android console is therefore unsurprising. Any market with a single seller is always an overpriced monopolistic ecosystem (Microsoft's XBOX, Sony's PS3, Apple, etc.). So a console where the hardware accessories, upgrades and games can be made by or bought from anyone (like the PC) may prove an attractive prospect.

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
2. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 11:08 Arithon

RAGE faded to disappointment.  

News Comments > Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?
25. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 05:11 Arithon

A smarter company would have spent some of the money from WoW and CoD to make new IP's and build a large and varied set of development studios, but not Activision. No way. They just milked the cash-cow and pocketed the money.
Now the end of the milk run is in sight and the other farmers are gettin' cold feet...

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
49. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 06:28 Arithon

And in other news, Hitler misses out on Humanitarian award...

Just last night, as my BF3 game crashed to desktop with the "EA Servers are Offline" message, I thought to myself, "EA deserve an award for their customer service".

It's a shame that "always on" DRM doesn't apply to BOTH parties...

Anyway, at least EA won't with the European awards (short of publicly executing disabled children) since they have to go up against UBISOFT!

News Comments > Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward
12. Re: Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward Mar 27, 2012, 03:38 Arithon

He must have had a PC...  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 in October
9. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 in October Feb 16, 2012, 07:00 Arithon

Oh goody! Another "cashcow" lacklustre sequel crippled by DRM, released half a year later the the consoles and riddled with bugs. I can't wait!

PC gaming isn't dead, but the likes of UbiSoft are trying very hard to smother it with a dirty pillow...

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall Jan 27, 2012, 11:57 Arithon

"Delayed to FAIL?"

So, like RAGE, we'll get a buggy console port of a game that promises much and delivers little?

Want your game to succeed?
(A) DEVELOP FOR ONE PLATFORM at a time. PC gamers don't want a console title (or they'd have bought a console - Dah!)
(B) Press BLACKOUT. Promote the finished product, not vapour-ware that bears no relation to what you release.
(C) Release at the same time everywhere and make any DRM easier to use than to circumvent. i.e. pirates should not enjoy the game more than paying customers. UBISOFT, I'm looking at you!!

92 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo