Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 103 (Novice)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity OS X Delayed, Patch Plans Detailed
2. Re: SimCity OS X Delayed, Patch Plans Detailed Jun 7, 2013, 04:01 Arithon

It's just rhetoric to con Mac users into thinking Sim City is either working or playable, when it's clearly neither.
I'd love to name-and-shame the PC users who bought this car-crash release.
Talk about bringing a community down...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 DoS Attack
2. Re: Battlefield 3 DoS Attack May 9, 2013, 09:00 Arithon

The DLC for BF3 killed off the player-base in increments. Each new release was another one that somebody didn't buy and so couldn't play on the server when it was running.
Frankly I can't see that many people will be that hot-n-bothered about BF3 going off-line. EA servers were never that reliable anyway.
Anyone who played BF3 frequently experienced "You were disconnected from EA Online (1) ERROR".
EA or outside hacker, what's the difference? The servers are flakey.

After all IT WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE if we could host our servers and LAN play, now would it?
That's why "Venice Unleashed" server emulator is significant, as it takes EA out of the equation. Them and their servers.
It's not like EA/DICE have released the BFBC2 server software, or have even hinted they may do so. Just a silently implied threat that when they get bored, the game will be unplugged forever.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > EA's Battlefield Domain Spree
2. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 8, 2013, 10:21 Arithon

They don't own www.BattleFieldThree.co.uk. Ha!  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses
4. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:03 Arithon

Their whole argument is "We didn't tell the truth, but we weren't lying"

No holes in that. At all.

I hope they lose. Badly. It's the only entertainment I'll get out of my copy of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

News Comments > Capcom Plotzes - Issues Profit Warning; Cancelling Games
8. Re: Capcom Plotzes - Issues Profit Warning; Cancelling Games Apr 18, 2013, 11:17 Arithon

CapCom blaming anyone but themselves.

DmC: Devil may Cry is the game they are complaining about "decline in quality of titles outsourced to overseas developers" yet the game got reviews as good or better than the previous titles.
The main complaint against the game was the changes to Dante's character, to quote wikipedia "Dante's original design was originally meant to be similar to the ones from previous games, but Capcom told the Ninja Theory staff it had to be completely different in order to appeal to a younger demographic". Oh, those evil developers! Following CapCom's orders to ruin the game's sales!

As others have said, their business practices and attitude to their customers are less than stellar. Seems they hold their business partners in equal contempt.

News Comments > SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns
6. Re: SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns Apr 10, 2013, 03:36 Arithon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:20:
"So many people have stopped playing our game, that it's now feasible to turn on cheetah speed for the people who are left."

That was my first thought too.

News Comments > Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Results
4. Re: Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Results Apr 8, 2013, 11:56 Arithon

I met all the developers last Thursday - it was great to see such a enthusiastic and creative bunch.

My sons had a play of all the games being developed and the Shark guys were a bit further along than some of the others.

I think we haven't seen the last of the "runners up" either.

With things like Sim City leaving a bitter taste, it's nice to see a better side of the gaming industry.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags
10. Re: SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags Mar 20, 2013, 05:07 Arithon

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 22:12:
Well if you figure Dead Space 3 into the price of SimCity it was fairly cheap

PC games are usually around 24 and Sim City was 45-65 - twice the normal price of a game.

So, two bad games (one essentially broken) for the full price of two good AAA titles? Wow! bargain for them....

I strongly suspect whatever else the "patch" does, it will almost certainly have something in it to lock out AzzerUK from modding the game to work properly in future.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease
3. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease Mar 19, 2013, 09:17 Arithon

"To reload you need 1,000 EA coins, please insert credit card if you wish to continue firing."

More scripted, more pointless swearing (gotta get that all-important parental advisory sticker), more dumbing down, more DLC-fracturing of the core game.

BF3 was a major disappointment, technically inferior to all it's predecessors. The last BattleField title I'll ever buy.

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
5. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 10:53 Arithon

A game with a higher-than-premium price, which only works properly if a modder fixes it.

Just don't buy it.

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
52. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 05:01 Arithon

They started the sentence with "we have no intention of" which summarise their customer service policy in a nutshell. Start any sentence about what EA should do and you have your answer.

e.g.
"We have no intention of offering refunds"
"We have no intention of making Sim City offline"
"We have no intention of changing our policy on screwing games with DRM"

See?

News Comments > Destiny PC Clue
5. Re: Destiny PC Clue Feb 19, 2013, 10:32 Arithon

I can barely contain my indifference.

Bungie said "keyboard-and-mouse players are getting less and less important", but what I heard was "Bungie is now irrelevant to gaming".

Weird huh?

News Comments > New Arkham Game Revealed
1. Re: New Arkham Game Revealed Feb 12, 2013, 09:36 Arithon

I found Arkham city too much of retread of the original game and it lacked in both plot improvements, originality or graphical advancement.
Not a bad game in isolation, but compared to the first, it was more like large DLC than a "new" game.
If the next Batman game is "more of the same" then I'll skip it. I played that game twice already.

News Comments > TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"
12. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 Arithon

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:52:
You must be crazy or blind, because RAGE is one of the best looking games of all time, on console or PC.

Rattlehead

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but really? There are a dozen games, half of which are much older than look better!
RAGE is visually comparable to Unreal Engine 3 games. While the game came out in 2011, the engine tech was devised (and apparently stuck) in 2007, the game was bug-ridden on release and barely ran on a high powered gaming rig.

RAGE is a monument to what happens when a game developer concentrates on the console platforms and squeezes out a steaming pile of PC port as an afterthought.

News Comments > New 3DMark
5. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 07:01 Arithon

I see little value in recent benchmarks, since most are now "on this weeks cards / hardware"

I want to see how much bang-for-buck I get for my money compared to the 2010 video card I have in my PC right now.

There are some sites that give you "HD5870 vs GTX660Ti" for example, but they are the exception.

The problem with new benchmark software is it removes the ability to compare with previous hardware. i.e. 3Dmark06 (from 2010) gives my card "23611" but 3Dmark11 (from last year) gives the 660 Ti "9027". That's no help to anyone. Both cards will run in my PC, so I want a meaningful comparison.

If 3DMark have a database of comparable test results for hardware going back some time that they share with purchasers of the software, then I'd be interested to know more, otherwise not.

News Comments > EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a "Rest"
16. Re: EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a Jan 31, 2013, 05:41 Arithon

MOH: Warfighter was a boring and mediocre retread. I was given it last October and couldn't bring myself to even finish it. The multi-player was the worst example of a run-n-gun twitch-shooter COD clone. Graphically and game play wise it was a horrible experience, the single-player was so scripted, nearly 40% of the time, you were just watching rather than playing.

If it got bad reviews, it shows that reviewers still have a conscience!

EA blaming the franchise, they are showing their typical ignorance and arrogance. It's not the game, but what you did with it!

Develop something original, and develop on each specific platform. Console games can be good and so can PC games, but console games are terrible on the PC and PC games won't bend to fit on the older console platforms. Jack of all trades is master of none.

If you expect people to pay such high prices for games (40+ / $65+) then they should be WORTH it. Or drop the price by 30% to reflect the 30% of content you held back, only to dribble out later as overpriced DLC.

News Comments > Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes.
7. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:34 Arithon

So to summarise, "stuck in 2008 visuals", poor configuration & set up options and "pay to win" micro-transactions.
Wow! What's not to like?

News Comments > Play.com Leaving Retail
1. Re: Play.com Leaving Retail Jan 9, 2013, 10:50 Arithon

Sad, but it's been on the cards since they sold to Rakuten.

Started buying DVD's and CD's from them in 2002 because they were half the price of the high street. How was VAT (17.5% at the time) free 50% cheaper than the high street? Ask the BPI and the rest of the greed industry why CD's and films cost so much over the odds (32.5% more), when they have control of the supply chain....
THAT isn't caused by piracy, but may well cause it.

News Comments > Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration"
20. Re: Rockstar: GTA 5 for PC "Up for Consideration" Nov 19, 2012, 11:49 Arithon

Funny.

I read that as saying "I am a nobody PR monkey who doesn't want to lose his job by speaking without authorisation from the organ grinder.."

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
45. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:01 Arithon

The confusion here is why they made the statement at all.

HALO was, and is, a joke as a PC game. It practically invented the phrase "crappy console port".

It was graphically inferior to UNREAL, released five years earlier and could hardly compete with better titles that year, such as the original Call of Duty (which was at that time a PC only game) and more sophisticated titles like Max Payne 2.

In other news:- Nintendo announce they are not releasing Pokemon {pick a colour} on the iPod....

103 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo