Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 110 (Novice)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
11. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 10:10 Arithon

Queue the "CoD:AW sold poorly on the PC" headline in 3..2..1...

Because of the high specs? Nope. Because it was a console port.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
73. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 15, 2014, 11:05 Arithon

Up until recently its been pretty much "Star Cinematic" - the most expensive and slick ad-campaign in gaming history.
It was giving me a "pyramid scheme" vibe with the ship prices bordering on the absurd. I don't regret holding off on buying into SC, but I was concerned that a number of people I know in the gaming community might be getting conned.
However, less publicised than the trailer release, is the roadmap that has been laid out with definitive dates for content being made available.
The first line in the sand being this November - as long as the content starts showing up when they say, then we're onto a winner, regardless of how long it takes.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
42. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch Oct 15, 2014, 10:56 Arithon

Jackplug wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 17:44:
Lost player trust?!?! You never had it in the 1st place, you destroyed your community once you stuck your arrogant 2 fingers upto the modding community. Give me a map editor for the next BF game and I will think about buying another one of your games, otherwise go fuck yourselves Dice!

Have to agree. The franchise has suffered the constant removal of features since it's technical peak with BF2. While the graphics have improved, the game mechanic has been stripped out and over-simplified for the controller-wielding "shoot or run" crowd.
LAN support, MOD support and the online community have all been sacrificed for the mighty DLC.
And yes, DLC is big money. But selling the game for years as core to a mod community makes money too, without screwing the customer. Shame EA/DICE are too greedy to see it.
BF4 was the last BF title I will ever buy.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
12. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 10:12 Arithon

Bundy wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 09:39:
I'm one of the crazies that bought into both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. And while I'm waiting for each to flush out, I'm playing Starpoint Gemini 2.

Like I said, crazy.

So why aren't you playing Elite? Everyone else is. If you backed it to the level of a digital copy, then you can have the BETA since July for 15.

News Comments > Visceral: Battlefield Hardline "Will Work"
35. Re: Visceral: Battlefield Hardline Oct 1, 2014, 10:29 Arithon

The bug-ridden and virtually unplayable initial release of both BF3 and BF4 "worked". Just not very well.

When you're a mod of a game that's been out for a year and you are re-using 80-90% of the old game's assets, how much could go wrong?

I for one, have no interest in finding out. The desertion of the LAN and modding community by DICE/EA and the hard-to-swallow pricing on their "buy in instalment" games has left the BattleField series laying in a shallow grave. I have no interest in what they're doing with the corpse.

News Comments > Visceral: Battlefield Hardline "Will Work"
8. Re: Visceral: Battlefield Hardline Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 Arithon

"We actually started on this more than a year before Battlefield 4 came out."
Really? Doing what? Setting the price? The "BETA" they released was little more than a lazy mod of BF4 with 70-90% of the same assets and sound-effects.

Release mod tools for BF4 and watch a dozen different people do a better job in half the time.

Future games like DayZ, Alien Swam, DOTA, Counterstrike and Natural Selection have all been smothered in their crib by the DLC Cash Cow vetoing the modding community.

Shallow, greedy short-term thinking.

I have bought every BattleField title on the PC since the game series began. BF4 was the last one I will ever buy.

The last two BF games were plagued with bugs and were killed off by slicing the player-base in half each time with every paid map-pack, leaving servers empty of all but those who bought into the "Premium".

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
11. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 03:56 Arithon

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 00:23:
I hate to be this guy, but what made Alien a success had more to do with Dan O'Bannon writing a terrific script, and H.R. Geiger bringing the aliens to life.

Once Cameron was on his own it quickly just became action movie fodder, and the "haunted house" creepiness was gone.

Sorry, but Ridley Scott (Blade Runner,Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, etc.) made Alien, not James Cameron. Cameron only did Aliens. Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett were only scripted the first film, they didn't write the script for Aliens. I don't think Gieger had any input on the sequels either.

Alien was a suspense/horror. Aliens was an action thriller. Alien 3 was a Pepsi commercial with slime. Aliens 4 was Sigourney Weaver's pension contribution.

On topic, I bought A:CM based on what I had seen demonstrated at E3 and Gearbox/SEGA knowingly mis-sold the title, making every effort to have people pre-order the game. Because they knew when it was released an reviewers reported what a total cluster-f#ck it was, it'd be "game over man, game over!".

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
13. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 10:25 Arithon

Crytek had a good game with Far Cry and a better one with Crysis, but instead of being happy with having the biggest selling PC game ever (at the time) they instead made a very public bleat about piracy then abandoned the PC platform and open sandbox games for making lower quality, linear (almost on rails) shooters for the console market. Shocker! Their PC market walked away and the console market are neither loyal or consistent.
They then top off several years of forgettable games, with a public spat with their employees - specifically; not paying them. So, do I care about Crytek? Not much.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015
12. Re: Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015 Jul 23, 2014, 06:50 Arithon

Why they've really delayed:
1. Try really hard to disguise that it's a mod.
2. Make a single player campaign in a multi-player-only game franchise, making it even less worthy of the BattleField name, just so it conforms to console norms (i.e. emulate CoD).
3. Fix the cluster-f##k netcode inherited from BF4, so we don't make the sucke.. customers explode into flame when it needs a 5GB zero-day patch to make it playable on release.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
22. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 03:48 Arithon

Because 65M Steam users are not dominant enough? Sounds more like these guys are from the "Make PC's into consoles or make them die!" alliance...  

News Comments > Community Suggested Changes for Battlefield Hardline
11. Re: Community Suggested Changes for Battlefield Hardline Jul 16, 2014, 11:09 Arithon

1. TRY HARDER TO MAKE IT NOT LOOK LIKE THE MOD IT CLEARLY IS.
2. KEEP A STRAIGHT FACE WHEN ASKING 60($99 USD) FOR A MOD.
3. HOPE THERE ARE ENOUGH SUCKERS OUT THERE.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
23. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 07:26 Arithon

Is there a playable demo or BETA of this game? Links to video of said gameplay?  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Change Plans
12. Re: Battlefield Hardline Change Plans Jul 3, 2014, 03:57 Arithon

36 for it? You should complain! It costs $99 in the UK!

Needless to say, I am not buying a lazy mod at twice full game price. Especially from a company that now denies mod tools to the game community in order to pull money-grabs like this.

The only way DICE/EA can restore good faith now, would be by releasing the server EXE's for BF:BC2 and mod tools for BF:BC2, BF:3 and BF:4 (when the last DLC has shipped).

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
57. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 09:28 Arithon

Crysis set the bar for FPS sandbox shooters, but the decision to go multi-platform set the bar so low, they became jack of all trades and master of none. Crysis 2/3 sold mostly on the hype from the original PC title rather than the merits of the sequels, which were mediocre linear shooters.
It's sad to see them in trouble, but hardly surprising when they opted to jump on the console bandwagon and make 'em cheap and sell 'em by the ton. Which in a crowded marketplace is not easy, unless you've got a unique property, which Crysis 2/3 were not.
Epic are giving away the Unreal SDK. You cannot compete with that and stay in business, unless you have another revenue stream, but by sacrificing the PC market for the consoles, they pissed in that particular well. They then followed that bad decision with the next one, by developing an XBOX One exclusive "Ryse" which was linear and repetitive.
They took all their eggs (and expertise) out of the PC basket and put everything in one console basket and now they are going under.
Might I suggest making a moddable sandbox PC game? Before you go bust...

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
6. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 09:26 Arithon

And their solution? Rush out a lazy mod of BF4 at more than the cost of a full-price game (59.99 / $98 USD) with recycled game modes and a smaller subset of assets, in an attempt to cash in on counterstrike and payday play styles.

"Yeah, but it's in BETA, the released game will be awesome!" really? Like BF3? Like BF4? I think not. Watch TotalBiscuit's post-Beta review of TitanFall where he expresses his major disappointment that nothing of what he expected to see in the final game materialised. Just more of the same from the BETA.

If EA ever learned anything (which is clearly not the case) they would have released LAN server modules of BF3/BF4 for private servers and LAN parties, implemented the commander properly in BF4 (not as a pointless bolt-on) and released a modding SDK. Then they would drop BF:Hardline with a quick apology and get to work on a full implementation of BF:2143. But that would be in a world where EA/DICE listened and were not stuffing their ears with dollar bills. So it ain't gonna happen!

When EA/DICE pranced onto the stage at E3 to announce hardline (after it had leaked already) and said "We listen to our fans!" I was torn between losing bladder control due to laughter and projectile-vomiting at the screen.

Sorry guys, but you'd know that wasn't true if you read the millions of forum posts on BattleLog ("log" being an English euphemism for a large turd that won't flush - so the name implies "fighting a big turd" - very apt).

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2014, 09:35.

News Comments > Sniper Elite 3 Trailer
5. Re: Sniper Elite 3 Trailer May 8, 2014, 07:54 Arithon

PC version? They had no date in April.  

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
55. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 04:37 Arithon

A game from the makers of the eminently "meh" HALO games, that were either a late sloppy console port or a Vista sales stunt, or a no show.

I can barely contain my indifference.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Domain Registered
8. Re: Just Cause 3 Domain Registered Apr 25, 2014, 08:13 Arithon

They have a LOT to live up to. Not just the previous game, but the Multiplayer Mod too!

In what other game can you grapple two helicopters together, fly up over the mountains, drop one chopper, jump out the first and free-fall into the second helicopter and then fly away, only to watch your first chopper crash and burn? Other games just pale...

News Comments > Chaos Reborn Multiplayer Prototype
8. Re: Chaos Reborn Multiplayer Prototype Apr 9, 2014, 03:37 Arithon

I thought from the headline (wrongly) that someone had made a multiplayer mod for "Prototype" and I thought "great, just like Just Cause 2".
The reality was a disappointment!

I like not this news! Bring me some other news!

News Comments > "Several" Unannounced UE4 Games in Development; UT Not One of Them
6. Re: Mar 20, 2014, 11:35 Arithon

Hobeaux wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 11:01:
Truth is that if UT99 was brought into the modern age it would probably be antiquated, rejected by the vast majority of game players today who don't have that nostalgia that we old fogies have for it.

Except people bought TitanFail hand-over fist and that's a retool of COD with 2007 graphics and a 2004 game engine.

110 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo