Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kev

Real Name Kev   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kevlar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Bring back the Skaarj ripping open the top logo, Blue!
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 5, 2004, 15:34
Total Comments 308 (Amateur)
User ID 20821

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Gesture Technology
2. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 10:16 Kevlar

That's CTRL-ALT-Delete, obviously.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GameSpot Responds
18. Re: No subject Dec 4, 2007, 07:07 Kevlar

I'm not about to defend GameSpot at all because I think they're full of shit like everyone else here, but there is a legal reason to not disclose the terms of the firing. What if an employee had a drinking problem, or a punctuality problem, or anything severe enough to be fired? GameSpot putting that confidential information out there in order to respond to allegations like this would be laying its own groundwork to be sued. The employee would then have hard evidence GameSpot is trying to prevent him or her from gaining future employment and GameSpot would be violating labor laws.

Therefore, I can see why this press release is worded the way it is. I still bet the firing has to do with Gerstmann's tone, however.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Patch Plans
7. Re: History of UT for me... Nov 30, 2007, 07:03 Kevlar

I was primarily a QuakeWorld player as well. Something that the original UT did for me as the occasional alternative to Quake was to have a few iconic, memorable levels that almost felt like the gametypes were designed around them as opposed to the levels fitting the gametypes. CTF on Facing Worlds or Assault on Train (Or High Speed, whatever it was called) come to mind. Q1, QWTF, Q2 and Q3 all had memorable levels of course but UT99 felt a little different in presentation and perhaps in the settings and colors of the levels. I was always able to find something like that to hook on to in UT2003 and UT2004, despite the relative ups and downs people said those editions had.

My problem with UT3 is that I *don't* see the one level I can hold in that regard. Everything's pretty well balanced in map layouts I've seen, sure, but where's the really colorful, gimmicky map that makes you want to play it over and over? For me, it's not there in UT3. I'm sure I'll still play it with friends and all but I was truly hoping they were going to still keep that feel in the level design... And now it looks like we're stuck in brick-Asian-village-city-in-a-snowstorm with the series.

News Comments > Hellgate: London Beta Continues
6. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2007, 11:57 Kevlar

Hmm. I would have thought "Hellgate: London Beta Continues" was just a euphemism for "Hellgate: London Launched" if it hadn't already come out.

News Comments > Mad Catz Nabs Saitek
5. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 16:08 Kevlar

Agreed. Saitek's made some great products in the past; here's hoping they continue.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Soldier of Fortune: Payback
12. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 15:09 Kevlar

It may not be budget price, but who developed it? I'm curious. If it was Raven, that bit would have made the press release...

News Comments > Defending Hellgate: London
16. Re: Bad Billy Nov 7, 2007, 12:22 Kevlar

There are definitely some popping issues in animations and cutscenes, I've found - especially on starting a cutscene. It would be really nice if they faded out and loaded them quicker instead of Geralt just approaching a group of people that all turn to face him, blankly, and then 5 seconds later the HUD/camera view finally fades out. The transition should be much tighter.

There can also be popping animations in combat, but that is generally due to mis-timed combos and is intentional to show you've broken the combo chain. Unintentionally, you can run into the combo chain issue when Geralt tries to walk through enemies to get to another one, or one runs in the way during an attack, or the enemy is on a different Z axis.

In all, though, my nitpicks with the extra polish that could have been applied to the cutscenes and animation are just that - nitpicks. I'm enjoying the game.

Oh, right, Hellgate: London.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Gears of War
35. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 07:13 Kevlar

Jonphan, isn't that a little Freudian for 2:37 in the AM?

News Comments > "Tribes-like Shooter" Coming?
46. Re: I loved Tribes Oct 26, 2007, 07:14 Kevlar

Xeno, there are people still playing Tribes 1 last I checked, which was about a month ago. If you can find the TribesFTW package online (I think TribalWar has it) you can get up and running very quickly.

News Comments > Kill General British
16. Re: As always, stay vigilant… Oct 26, 2007, 07:10 Kevlar

Heheh. I have to admit I occasionally think of us as a retirement home and last bastion for Quake(World) players... So how is anything supposed to compare, really? Negativity occasionally just has to happen.

Then again, I fondly remember the story about British being assassinated in UO just because it was one of those 'Woah, you can DO that? There was a crowd gathered?' realizations of the things that were being accomplished in MMOs... And whether the game turns out to suck or not, I think recreating this in Tabula Rasa is a nice touch.

News Comments > Crysis Demo Nears, Now Available for Preorders
11. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 06:58 Kevlar

And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time...

Man, even the Portal credits song gets it better than this.

Well, in any event I thought I couldn't wait for this demo... Still can't wait... But then I thought about being strong-armed just to try the demo, and now I can afford to hold off for a while.

Actually, it's a moot point - according to the website, the non-preorder heathens will have to wait until about 7 PM EST. Woohoo!

News Comments > EA Mythic Layoffs
7. Re: BioWare Oct 26, 2007, 06:47 Kevlar

Is anyone honestly surprised anymore? I'm still seething about what they pulled with Trauma Studios. At least we've seen in their case that the emancipated employees can simply re-form in another studio and do the game they were meant to do all along...

News Comments > Hellgate EULA Follow-up
51. Re: Getting nervous Max? Oct 25, 2007, 07:39 Kevlar

And for a team with such a stout design pedigree from Blizzard, this obviously antagonistic relationship with the community through design, PR and pricing decisions (which didn't just pop up overnight with the EULA, by the way) is truly shameful.

Max, this isn't just the EULA - this is the final straw for a number of gamers who have observed a number of decisions made that are not made in their best interests or to make a better game, and a few (debatable) stalwarts like Valve and ArenaNet remind us it doesn't have to be this way. You went from being impervious to criticism as the makers of a new-Diablo-with-zombies to placing serious doubt in at least *my* purchase through the fact that there will be an inherently unfair playing field online, whether I subscribe or not (I won't on principle if I do make the purchase). I thought you guys would have already gotten the hint when all the comments started brewing around when the news hit, followed shortly by Penny Arcade lambasting your pricing scheme. Guess not.

By the way, if the sharing information clause in the EULA is intended strictly for sharing information, why wasn't that strictly defined, then? Oh, right - because your lawyers specifically made it vague in case you lie or change your mind later, and therefore it's legally better to remain vague. All these decisions smack of best practices driven by the legal department, the PR team, and the bottom line - wonder how the game's doing in all of that?

News Comments > Hellgate Adware, Hell of a EULA
109. Re: Just a thought Oct 20, 2007, 13:18 Kevlar

Tiver, was there any kind of suggestion I missed that point from my post? Wow, 20 seconds of Google searching confirmed for me the same thing as your awe-inspiring lexicon of Microsoft validation servers. Sorry the post wasn't more along the lines of 'OMG I WILL NEVAR PLAY AGEIN' or 'WHO CAERRS?'.

Oh, and welcome to the board; way to get started.

News Comments > Hellgate Adware, Hell of a EULA
65. Re: Just a thought Oct 19, 2007, 07:09 Kevlar

Bigspender, my firewall (using an old version of Sygate Personal Firewall) caught the Hellgate install process going crazy trying to contact crl.microsoft.com throughout - I had to deny it a couple of times but from what I understand this is 'Microsoft's certificate authority server' for installers, not that that makes me feel any better or want to allow it - but interestingly I didn't get any messages when I ran the executable. Could be because the full-screen game sat over the messages requesting connectivity, but the nice thing is the dialog box going unanswered = automatic no from the firewall. I'll have to watch this more closely.

News Comments > Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder Demo
8. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2007, 19:25 Kevlar

Hey, I thought this said "In Pursuit of Ralph Nader".

Guess I'm reading too much CNN lately.

News Comments > Histwar: Les Grognards Testers Sought
2. Re: Les Grognards = The Gonads Oct 11, 2007, 13:30 Kevlar

Actually, Grognards was probably chosen for the name because it's an affectionate term for wargamers who play exactly these types of games. Even a 2-second Google search would have turned up that info, for instance bringing you to http://grognard.com/.

And I don't even play those games.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Universal Combat Collectors' Edition
20. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2007, 06:27 Kevlar

Seems like it's getting harder to summon Dr. Smart these days... I would've guessed he's doing something better with his time but, well, then you have this press release to consider.

edit: terrible morning grammar/spelling

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 09:33.

News Comments > The Princess Bride Game
6. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2007, 12:43 Kevlar

Shame? You beat me to it!

News Comments > GarageGames Sold, InstantAction.com Formed
1. Maybe I'm a little slow today... Sep 18, 2007, 11:28 Kevlar

But skimming this release it sounds like GG is being turned into a pseudo-publisher. Anyone else get that feeling? I hope this turns out well for them although I'm not exactly optimistic.

Pre-edit edit: Ah, this isn't exactly a mickey mouse outfit. They've got Ask.com and LendingTree under their belts. Well, I still hope this turns out well for them.

308 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo