Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kev

Real Name Kev   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kevlar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Bring back the Skaarj ripping open the top logo, Blue!
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 5, 2004, 15:34
Total Comments 308 (Amateur)
User ID 20821

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 on Two DVDs
10. Re: Mass Effect 2 on Two DVDs Dec 4, 2009, 11:11 Kevlar

Uh, size has no real correlation with the amount of content in the game. It could be 5GB of empty planets again with cut and paste quests.

Or it might not, seeing as how you haven't played the game either.

Yeah, considering the bullshit palette swap side-quest planets were able to fit on one DVD in the first one this is heartening news that they really did make meaningful side content in the sequel. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spike VGA Nominees
10. Re: Spike VGA Nominees Nov 18, 2009, 15:36 Kevlar

Awards? This looks like a rank order of the games with the biggest marketing budgets for 2009.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sales
3. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 10:50 Kevlar

Sad to agree, Creston, but you're right on. PC gamers are screwed either way if they buy it (proving Activision & Kotick can ram consolitis down our throats) or if they don't (lending credence to the 'piracy problem' that supposedly exists on PC).  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead 2
15. First impressions. Nov 17, 2009, 12:25 Kevlar

It was a nice surprise to wake up and find the game had launched when it was actually supposed to! I managed to sneak in a very quick run of the first campaign (Dead Center) before heading off for work this morning.

Random thoughts:

• Similarities to the demo: Small things (FOV, body awareness, weapon position on the screen) are unsurprisingly unchanged from the demo version so don't expect magic fixes if those bothered you. These were not big deals to me personally, though, as it's a different game with a different feel.

• However, The demo levels definitely did not fully showcase the graphical improvements in this version. Dead Center has some very nice/oppressive fire and smoke effects at the highest graphical settings. There's also a crescendo that plays off that very well.

• Narrative elements seem much improved. There's some well-presented chaos to start the campaign and the initial interactions of the characters seem to reflect that - they even introduce themselves to one another in a quiet moment partway through the first map.

• Weapons, ammo, consumables and throwables seem ridiculously plentiful, but the infected count seems a bit higher to even it out. (The stats at the end proved this to be false, though - same kill counts as L4D1.)

• Oops - let me edit this and add a story about the bots. So the bots seem to have been tweaked, possibly only very slightly, given that on one map Coach actually closed the safe house door by himself. However, there are definitely some annoyances that remain. The first wandering witch I encountered was right in my way - no way around her - and I was weighing my options as she creeped closer and the operatic soundtrack swelled. Do I use the axe? More importantly, is there an achievement for that? In the middle of this, Nick-bot runs up to me and starts healing me. I can't move, and I have no peelz nor first aid of my own so I can't switch to one to force him to stop. He keeps healing me, right in front of my face, as the witch basically bumps into him while his back is turned. Oh, shit.

• Overall, the experience seems like a tuned version of L4D1 with most gameplay and graphical elements getting some tweaks for the better. If you were a fan of L4D1, you're probably going to like this. If the concept or execution or L4D1 was disappointing to you, this is probably not going to redeem your faith in the game.

• This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2009, 12:46.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
    9. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Nov 10, 2009, 09:48 Kevlar

I totally agree with Hump. I think L4D is absolute garbage and I hate the fact that Valve abandoned their main man (Gordon) for this shit. L4D2 is merely a L4D exansion pack and everyone is ready to suck it down just 'cause it's Valve's game. All the critics will be raving about it yada yada yada... Simple fact is if this was made by some unknown developer it wouldn't get a second look. I hate the way this industry is becoming with sequels spitting out faster then ever making mass produced garbage. Sad thing is it's never going to change only get worse.

Oh, wow. You've figured out their secret! Everyone who continues to play the L4D series doesn't actually like it. They're all doing it out of the sheer embarrassment of possibly disliking a Valve title for once or because all their friends play it too and peer pressure alone is propping up a COOPERATIVE ZOMBIE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

Maybe some people want to like it based on their interest in the concept, and maybe some even see past the warts. It's not for everyone.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2009, 09:49.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Trailers
    6. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Trailers Nov 4, 2009, 15:32 Kevlar

Good video on "High-Rise". Shows off a lot of new stuff. I only hope with all of these added killstreak options some are tough to get. Choppers and airstrikes were enough to deal with in MW. Now we have predator drones, sentry guns, choppers, airstrikes and AC130 gunships...and that's probably not the entire list. Looks damn cool though! The only thing I cringed at were the sentry guns. Seems too "Team Fortressy".

As someone who appreciated the Quakes and Unreal Tournaments, I can't help but feel like MP in this game is an endless string of cheap kill-fests. Epic, to be sure, but it sounds like grenade spam's got nothing on whatever these doo-hickeys are.

*waves cane in general direction of Infinity Ward*

News Comments > Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed
    78. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 12:23 Kevlar

I don't think they need a press stunt to get people worked up over this game, as already said. Paying any attention to forums and gaming media will show that this game is going to sell as much as the original without breaking a sweat.

I think it is more likely they were searching for a moment to compare with the nuke moment in the original and decided to finally give in and allow the player to play as the "bad guys," something people have wanted since the original Call of Duty.

Personally I thought the Russians in WaW were pretty bad already.

Pardon the brevity, but this comment says it all. Still not sold that it's not a PR stunt, but a very good series of points on why they might have artistically meant the decision.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed
    3. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed Oct 27, 2009, 20:48 Kevlar

The whole situation is strange. The GameStop early access demo cards always said 10/27 at 11PM PST, which is precisely what the demo was 'delayed' to after it read 4PM EST for a while... Oh, well. Thousands of screaming children on the Steam forums is not something to bother spending much time on.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 TV Spot
    2. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 TV Spot Oct 27, 2009, 09:20 Kevlar

I think it's actually that intro video right on the front page of l4d.com. It's basically the same trailer we've seen before but slightly edited for TV.  

News Comments > On PC Bad Company 2
    6. Re: On PC Bad Company 2 Oct 26, 2009, 11:45 Kevlar

I appreciate their message even if not necessarily intended in sincerity. However, what really bothers me about the Bad Company series is how the sequel is 'polishing up' by adding in features that existed in prior BF games ten goddamned years ago on PC.

Oh, really, you can now deploy a parachute in a Battlefield title? HOLY CRAP THE FUTURE OF GAMING IS HERE -- oh, wait, that was in the original title. Deployment via helicopter in Bad Company 2? Welcome to Desert Combat and BF: Vietnam era game concepts.

I guess it's just too much to ask for this dev to actually build on the feature sets of titles that came before, rather than scrap and redeploy the same stuff.

News Comments > Win7 & Diablo II
    9. Re: Win7 & Diablo II Oct 9, 2009, 11:58 Kevlar

As good as Windows 7 might be, this is clear proof it should have undergone more testing. Being able to run DII should be a requirement for all new OS deployments.  

News Comments > L4D Crash Course This Month
    6. Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 11:36 Kevlar

Having finally plunged into Versus mode at a recent LAN, I can see where the size of this campaign is much better suited for pick-up Versus games. Having to square away 2 hours to play a whole round of Versus, while fun, is a big commitment. Looking forward to the DLC!  

News Comments > Section 8 Beta Expands
    11. Re: Section 8 Beta Expands Aug 13, 2009, 10:47 Kevlar

Maybe he was counting the 20 free copies of it you would get with virtually every EVGA video card released around that time.  

News Comments > GRIN Closed
    3. Re: GRIN Closed Aug 12, 2009, 16:29 Kevlar

I'd add Ballistics to the list of good GRIN titles. It was a pretty cool tunnel-based racer.  

News Comments > Darkest of Days Demo
    2. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 14:37 Kevlar

Agreed - seems like a really cool concept. Hope the demo lives up to the potential.  

News Comments > No StarCraft II LAN Confirmed
    20. Re: No StarCraft II LAN Confirmed Jun 29, 2009, 16:33 Kevlar

LAN gaming has been dead for a while now. ... This isn't that big of a deal.

And this thread's winner of opinion spoken as fact goes to...

News Comments > Tex Murphy on GOG.com
    11. Re: Tex Murphy on GOG.com Jun 16, 2009, 15:28 Kevlar

Wow. Under a Killing Moon... Great choice and great game. Any word on whether the UAKM sequels might make it to GOG too? (It's been so long the names escape me... Pandora, was it?)

Edit: Nevermind... Perhaps I should RTFM:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_the_pandora_directive

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 15:30.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad on GOG.com
    11. Re: Rise of the Triad on GOG.com Mar 3, 2009, 14:05 Kevlar

And occasionally, a good gib would produce a falling hand with middle finger permanently outstretched...  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X Movie
    4. Re: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X Movie Mar 3, 2009, 14:04 Kevlar

But what about the powerslide move for the planes??!

Yeah, yeah, I know there are planes that are supposedly super-maneuverable (there's some technical word for it), but not every damn plane should be able to throw its ass out by hitting the brakes, know what I mean?

308 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo