Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jack shiznit

Real Name jack shiznit   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jack shiznit
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2004, 16:38
Total Comments 16 (Suspect)
User ID 20772

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up
10. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:08 jack shiznit

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 21:29:
Step 1: Go to stats system and look at top 20% of the players. Run a quick algorithm on score vs time. Ban.
Step 2: Sort players by % of headshots. Ban.

Yeah...

Some people are actually good at games ya know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer
27. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 31, 2010, 01:11 jack shiznit

Nighthawk wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:52:
Complaining about the lack of realism and then quoting mythbusters isn't really helping your case much.
Name a competitive Valve game where the bullets go exactly where you aim them, damage isn't determined by a random number generator, and who hit whom isn't determined by a complex algorithm designed to compensate for ping.
Has nothing to do with drop rates, even the best marksman cannot hit the same location of a target with a single round.
Translate that into CS scenarios...
Movement, weight, heart rate, breathing, all affect where a round will hit, even a stationary shooter and target.
Long range shots (200m and more) are affected my wind.
If I was going to say anything I would say that valve is MORE realistic than the others.

You do have a reading comprehension problem? I want Valve games to be LESS realistic and more fun. In the real world things are as you say, but in a game, to make them that way, you need to introduce elements to the game that have nothing to do with the actions taken by the players, which is stupid. Why should the game code decide anything? Let's someone's skill decide who wins and loses a game, like most game we are used to. I'm honestly surprised anyone is even arguing that point with me. The only realism I want in games is to allow the game to let who actually thinks faster and has faster reflexes come out ahead. I am also not quoting Myth Busters. I don't even watch that show.

16. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 16:53 jack shiznit

elefunk wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 16:44:
I honestly don't give a shit about the competitive community! Team Fortress 2 is fucking fun, imagine that.

But then, those CS numbers basically prove you're spouting bullshit.

Thank god Valve develops their multiplayer games, and not you.

In 2006 CS had almost 60,000 SERVERS and 3,000,000 UNIQUE PLAYERS per month. 129,000 is a pittance.

Valve single-handedly killed CAL and CPL by watering down their games, and with the leagues, went the players. So Valve isn't as smart as you think.

PS TF2 is so unfun I uninstalled after 3 days and took the orange box right back to Best Buy.

15. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 16:48 jack shiznit

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 15:38:
Why would Valve cater to the world's competitive game scene? It's almost as stupid as the world's competitive eating scene.

I can see where deathmatch with a portal gun could get weird and funny and then stale pretty quickly.

Tell that to the South Koreans. Some of the gamers there make millions a year. It's like football there. I want that here, but I don't think there will be any suitable games to do it with in the near future. It's all getting watered down.

50 people with nothing to do but sit around and dream up ways to make a game should not have a problem figuring out an elegant solution to a competitive MP game based on Portal. It's sad that they can't. It's also no surprise they can't because it's Valve, which was my original point.

Have fun in mediocrity!

13. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 16:43 jack shiznit

Nighthawk wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 15:17:
All that being said...where do you think the money is made, on the 10% (probably high) of market that is competive gaming of the 90% of casual gamers looking for entertainment.
I would invest in the latter, the numbers don't lie.

Pretty sure I addressed this...

12. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 16:39 jack shiznit

Nighthawk wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 15:09:
So I'm guessing when he's not trolling the blues forums he's a weapons expert (NO bullets go where they aim, except maybe sniper rifles, mostly) and reversed engineered all of valves games...

How's YOUR game doing? Because valves has 129,126 people playing CS, CS:S, TF2, legally, according to steam's "Current Players" number, not counting the losers that play pirated versions.

Maybe you should step up before taking someone else down

All bullets, regardless of speed, travel in a parabolic trajectory. If you fire a bullet from a gun and simultaneously drop one, they hit the ground at the exact same moment (in a vacuum).

However, it's a game, the object of which is fun. Artificially leveling the playing field does not make it fun, it makes it frustrating.

I post here once every 2 years. What a troll.

It's just an issue close to my heart, because games used to be fair, and now they are not, and it's to satisfy the average among us. Sick!

8. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 13:28 jack shiznit

elefunk wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 12:53:
It's always fun to read comments from people so disassociated from reality that they're truly beyond hope.

Name a competitive Valve game where the bullets go exactly where you aim them, damage isn't determined by a random number generator, and who hit whom isn't determined by a complex algorithm designed to compensate for ping.

Dissociated from reality because I don't think stroking the ego of the average is a worthwhile endeavor?

If the professional leagues treated sports like Valve treats their MP games, Albert Pujols would have to wear lead weights on his wrists and ankles, Roy Halladay would have to throw opposite handed, Tiger Woods would not be allowed any woods and have to use a bent putter (there's a joke in there somewhere), Sidney Crosby would have to use figure skates, and the outcome of all events would be determined by a math formula.

I know it's a business decision. Alienating 98% of your target market because they are terrible is bad business...

On the other hand games are competitive; catering to the lowest common denominator is antithetical to competition. Valve is entirely focused on business. I am entirely focused on making you believe I must be cheating.

Ask yourself why zero of the world's top competitive games play Valve games.

4. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Aug 27, 2010, 12:22 jack shiznit

Valve screwed up the multi-player aspect of a game? ROFLMFAO! They have never had a clue with MP. They screwed up cs, dod, cs:s, dod:s and tf:s. I know many people like these games, but to hardcore mp fanatics and competitive players, they made abominations out of formerly great mp games with lag-compensating net code and cone of fire, and variable damage randomizations which, while they level the playing field over the internet, totally hose the game on LAN, and piss off people who buy the latest machines and fabulous internet connections.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Phillips's Jan 22, 2008, 13:48 jack shiznit

Phillipses?

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. It's Blackstar Jan 18, 2008, 15:08 jack shiznit

Darkstar is a John Carpenter film.

News Comments > Reznor on DOOM 3
8. Doom3 Soundtrack Jul 21, 2004, 10:20 jack shiznit

It's definitely Tool that did the theme song. It sounds very much like the song Lateralus.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
18. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 11:49 jack shiznit

Go join the RCL gaming league run by said idiot. It's a CS, TFC, NS, DOD league. (oops, you can't, it's now defunct!)

You are gauranteed never to play a match, while being lied to repeatedly about why that is.

At one point last year, Hodges claimed 18,000 MEMBERS in the RCL: "The largest internet gaming league in North America". I personally added up all the members from the team lists for each division for each game and found that RCL had a maximum of 600 members. 30% of those were duplicates because they played in more than one game, and 30% of the teams were inactive.

When pressed Hodges, vaguely stated that his criterion for MEMBERSHIP (which was paid by the way), was anyone who dropped by the page. So he claimed his web traffic was his membership. Furthermore, these were not even unique hits, but total traffic.

He bans anyone that questions him on any statements he makes which are obviously false, INCLUDING ALL OF HIS OWN LEAGUE ADMINS, save one named, High, who eventually quit as well.

I wouldn't believe word one of that interview, and would frankly be shocked if he even interviewed Newell at all. He may have, but in light of his past lies, I wouldn't bother reading that garbage.

He also ran a game server renting company which claimed to be better because they didn't stack game server (more than one game server in one machine), like the competition. Then he was found to be stacking them. No more server rentals. Now he runs a webhosting company. Well, last I heard...

The guy is an absolute riot.

How's my trolling now?

BTW, It seem most people on the internet these days have no clue what trolling means, or what it is to troll. It is NOT the kind that lives under a bridge and eats goats, or elves. It is akin to the fishing type of trolling, as in "We're trolling for tuna". When used in reference to the internet, it means baiting someone on a forum so you can embarrass them when they take the bait. Please use the word accordingly.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
6. No subject May 22, 2004, 17:32 jack shiznit

halflifesource.com is run by a complete idiot and liar.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
71. Re: Roofing Redux Apr 29, 2004, 16:03 jack shiznit

Hehe, that's the type of estimate where you end up paying $13,500. I'm glad I posted if it made you avoid that guy, at least if he wouldn’t re-do his estimate with a breakdown. It sounds like he was an eyeballer anyway though. Besides, he tried to sell you the expensive laminated (architectural), shingles when you probably have the regular ones. Nothing wrong with this if you ask for it, but I'll bet you didn't.

If the other guy is willing to do a repair for less than a 10th of the cost of a complete re-roof, I'd take it. You probably won't have to worry about 10 guys on the roof at once with this scheme. Expect some plywood cost to be added to this though. If the leak has been visible for some time, then the plywood is probably bad somewhere, but you never know.

Oh, and tear off. There is no waste factor in tear off because they are tearing off what is actually there, not trying to determine how much they might need. Tear off is usually just a charge times an amount of squares. Usually there are no extras to tear off drip edges, flashing etc., in fact they get torn off not because they are bad or worn out, but because it's impossible not to.

Anyway, people say 3 estimates is good, but you should get as many as it takes until you feel like you've gotten the straight scoop. I wasn't there, but it sounds like you may have already.

Good luck!

P.S. Edit in word, and I sill screw the pooch.

50. Roofing Redux Apr 29, 2004, 12:51 jack shiznit

Apparently I'm more tired than I thought, because I meant to add:

The numbers in my estimate are close, but almost surely wrong, so don't pay too much attention to specifics. It's meant to give you an idea of what a good estimate looks like in format.

12 Squares is a small roof. 20 is maybe average 3 bedroom 2000 sqft ranch house. $9000 might not be a bad deal for that, but $9000 to fix a 30' by 30' area is definitely a rip (for 3-tab shingles). You weren't specific though.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 13:05.

49. Roofing Apr 29, 2004, 12:41 jack shiznit

$9,000.00 huh? Ouch even if it's a bargain. Let's see though...

I was an insurance adjuster for 5 years. I dealt with everything from blown over picket fences to buildings burnt to the ground, but the vast majority of what I dealt with was roofs. Prior to becoming a claims adjuster, I was a contractor. I also have owned a home or three and redid my own roof a few years back, myself. Never again though. Not because it's hard to do skillwise. It's fairly easy, but roofing is heavy and rough. It's usually about 30 degrees warmer on your roof then on the ground. It can really take it's toll on you physically.

Please allow me to give you some general advice which may save you some money and headaches.

Most professional roofers SUCK AT ROOFING. They do it all wrong. They use nail guns when they are supposed to hand hammer every nail. They don't know how to properly space shingles. They don't apply ice and water shield properly, and the don't do peaks, valleys, rake edges, or other flashings correctly. They put too many people on your roof. WHY?

All contractors are out to make a buck. Roofing has many aspects which can be done the right way or the fast way without the average homeowner being the wiser of either. Doing things the fast way will save the contractor time, will look right, and will last several years without problem (hopefully), but will eventually cause problems that had it been done the right way, would have never occurred. But by then it's far too late to sue the friendly contractor.

Here's a good list of how things should be done. I would demand of the contractor that everything is done by the book, as a leaky NEW roof is one of the most infuriating things, and good luck getting any contractor to do it over again which is generally what is needed when they fuck up.

Estimates should be broken down by a measurement known as "squares". A square is an 10' by 10' area or 100 square feet. This is how roofing is priced. Any estimate that says we will install this, this, and this, without telling you how much this, this, and this is a BAD ESTIMATE. Every quality estimate should give you the material breakdown by Squares for the roof coverings, and linear feet for the flashing metals, drip edges, and so forth. There is no such thing as square feet in roofing. If you see square feet RUN FROM THE CONTRACTOR. Labor cost is not broken out separately; it is included in the price per square and per lineal foot.

Good looks something like this:

Tear off 10 squares of existing roofing @ $30/Square = $300
12 Squares of 3-tab 25 year asphalt shingles @ $150/Square = $1,800
12 Squares of #15 felt @ $20/Square = $240
400LF of rubberized ice & water shield @ $4/LF = $1600
200LF of metal drip edge @ $2/LF = $400
30LF or rake edge flashing flashed and counter-flashed @ $6/LF = $180
1 Chimney flashing (large) @ $250ea = $250
6 Turtle vent covers @ $30ea = $180
4 Stack boot flashings @ $20ea = $80
1 25 Yard dumpster @ $400 = $400
Clean up and haul away debris $200
Permits $50
Total $5680
*$90 per sheet of plywood that needs to be replaced because of rot or warping to be added to the total.

We will use Timberline 25 year single layer asphalt roof shingles (25 year warranty).
We will HAND HAMMER all roofing nails.
We will use rubberized ice and water shield per local codes which will extend no less than 30" over the vertical plane of the interior walls.
We will protect all your tree, plants and shrubs from debris to the best of our ability.
We will clean up and haul away all debris and use a magnetic rake to sweep away all roofing nails which fall to the ground.
No more than 4 persons shall be on the roof at any time.
ALL PRICES INCLUDE LABOR

This type of estimate gives you several advantages. It spells out exactly what the contractor will be doing and not doing, and it gives you a breakdown of the costs so that you can readily compare it to other estimates to find the true value. Do not deal with contractor who will not give you this type of estimate.

Don't be fooled by the salesman. Roof salesmen are just like car salesmen. They come to your home and size you up. They know whether you know anything just from talking to you, and make their prices accordingly. The same roof will cost me less than the old lady accross the street. It's just a fact of doing business. Knowing a little lingo like "squares" and that roof nails should be hand hammered will get you a long way to getting a better deal.

Some other things:

Nails need to be hand hammered for two reasons. One, the type that are hammered have a large flat head which hold the shingles down far better. Two, when the roofer uses a nail gun, he is using staples which have a very small holding surface, just the bend of the staple, on top of that the gun fires at different pressures depending on the depletion of the compressor, and the shingles have dense spots and not so dense spots. This ends up causing some staples to be driven all the way through the shingle and others to not be driven far enough. This can cause obvious problems.

Common three-tab asphalt shingles are three feet long and have three one foot tabs. They should be spaced so the gaps in the tabs are shifted over 5 inches from the rows below and above. This is easy to do, but most roofers don't take the care to doing it. Most of the time the tabs are shifted over 6 inches. This causes two problems. 1. it doesn't look right (though it looks like most other houses because they are all done wrong too), 2. it can cause water to channel to the same places on the roof every time it rains, accelerating the wear and tear.

Valleys should not be cut shingle over a metal valley flashing. Again, this is the most common way to see it done, but it is wrong, and increases the likelihood of leaks and faster wear out. Valleys should all be woven like a basket AND be over both ice and water shield and valley metal (12" wide metal sheet).

Ice and water shield: This is something that is required by building codes in most cooler to old climates. It will keep your roof from leaking in the even of an ice dam (look it up). It is a roll of sticky backed rubber basically, and it is meant to go around the eaves (perimeter), of the roof. Most contractors do this just fine, but some roof have wider eaves than others. The ice shield is 36" wide, but must go at least 30" beyond the interior wall plane to be effective (pretend your interior wall extends up through your roof, 30" past that line). Ice shield should also be used in all valleys and at all rake edges (where the roof meets a wall).

Laminated shingles cost more. These are the kind that look like they have multiple layers.
Wood shingle or shakes cost WAY more.
Metal, slate, concrete, and other roof types can cost a small fortune.

Measure the roof yourself, and ask to see the salesman's measurements and diagram. don't even bother with guys that don't need to go on your roof because they are old pros that don't need to bother. No one can do a competent roof estimate from the ground. I don't have the time to teach you how to measure a roof properly, but you can measure the actual square feet and dived by 100 to get an estimate. Add 10% for waste for a regular gable roof, 15% for a hip roof (4-sided roof). Add 15% for a cut up roof (lots of valleys, and peaks, and dormers, or other irregularities. Add 20% for a cut-up hip roof. DO NOT ADD WASTE FACTOR TO TEAR OFF!!! lol, an old insurance joke, but true.

If your roof is steep there will be an extra charge per square because it takes longer and is harder to do steep roofs. If it is really steep there will be a toe-board charge. Having no single story access will cost extra as well.

I'm tired of typing now. Good luck, Blue!

16 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo