Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kastagir

Real Name Kastagir   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kastagir
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2004, 17:49
Total Comments 311 (Amateur)
User ID 20761

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Specs
31. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 02:32 Kastagir

Dev wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 19:26:
I seem to recall its not gamebyro engine anymore, any details on the engine its using?

It's a new engine written by Bethesda from the ground up called the "Creation Engine."

Longswd wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 21:30:
Unfortunately I don't meet the minimum specs, that being you need to be willing to fund trademark bullies.

Wow.

Blackhawk wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 23:28:
Having spent an insane amount of time with all of the recent Elder Scrolls games (and the Fallout titles), I have to say I couldn't care less what the default textures are like. I won't be seeing much of them, anyway, just like the default UI and default (whatever.)

Mods take time, and the vanilla UI doesn't look like it will be quite as bad as it was in Oblivion. I don't have any memory of having played Oblivion with the default UI, but I know I did it, as I'm sure everyone else did until the alternatives became available. I doubt this game will require an overhaul like OOO, which never seemed entirely professional in my opinion. I just hope I don't see "saving content - please don't turn off your system" ANYWHERE on the PC version.

PHJF wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 21:24:
I was referring to the DX9 + a three-year-old graphics card as "recommended". Guess we were just spoiled because Oblivion came out early in the console cycle.

The game was developed on 7-year-old console hardware, so this shouldn't be too surprising. Bethesda has been focused on making a convincing world, not devoting 90% of its development effort on lighting effects and insuring that PCs and consoles can run the game at 60 frames per second. Making a great game doesn't require top-end system components anymore. In any event, these specs are for the "High" detail settings, as pointed out by GStaff on the Blog and the forums. People with systems that exceed the "recommended" specs may be able to use the "Ultra" detail settings. I can only hope that this is something the consoles will never see, and that high-resolution textures will be made available by Bethesda either in time for, or shortly after release so that high end GPUs can really showcase this game.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 02:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview
17. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:55 Kastagir

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:27:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:22:
I really, really hope this doesn't release in a bug-ridden disaster state like most other Bethesda projects...oh who am I kidding...

Not sure what you're talking about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box. They had to be, too, because of the console versions. The few issues that remained were addressed in patches. Bethesda definitely has an admirable track record in the post-Daggerfall era. If you wanna hate then hate on something else. Something that actually makes sense or something...

I'll grant that Oblivion and Fallout3 were not the bug-infested nightmares we've grown accustomed to in recent years, but Morrowind was hardly bug free at launch. I'll remind you that Morrowind was not a simultaneous PC and XBox launch - the PC version had been out for quite a while before the GotY version came out on both platforms. Prior to that, it had plenty of bugs, though not as onerous as some that we've seen in other games, so it's easy to forget and forgive. Not that this matters at all - people will find flaws with Skyrim in the first week after launch. Meanwhile, 99% of the players (including me) will be enjoying the crap out of it.

16. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:51 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:46:
Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:44:
Don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either.

Dude, your point was that no gold announcement yet means this and that unless they're planning for full digital. My point back to you is that that is impossible, given their main platforms. It has nothing to do with which platform you personally "care about."

I think I edited my post within 15 seconds of posting it. In that time you decided what my point was and took offense. In fact, my point was not that digital distribution was their only form of distribution, but that it would make up a much larger percentage of sales than any previous Elder Scrolls game. I thought that was pretty clear. And I still don't care about consoles.

13. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:44 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:16:
Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 14:31:
That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

The Xbox and PS3, the main formats for this game, do not have day one digital distribution very often, if ever.
I wasn't talking about the consoles because I don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either. Nothing personal, I just don't think about them.

3. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 14:31 Kastagir

I'm curious as to why the game hasn't gone gold (released to manufacturing) yet when most games require up to a month to prepare for release. I guess since Bethesda is in essence publishing their own game, they require less time to meet production demands. That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

Oh, and I saw quite a few things that were new other than a couple of shouts. New enemies, weapons and spells were shown. Also, some really good detail shots that were clearer than the 22-minute demo which served to quell my concerns about how developing on the consoles would hinder the appearance on the PC.

News Comments > Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year
13. Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Oct 22, 2011, 02:38 Kastagir

Perhaps "boycott" was a poor word to use. I simply haven't liked any of Valve's titles since Half-Life 2 and Portal so I haven't bought them. I likely won't buy any in the future unless they come up with something new that I like, but I would buy HL2:E3 if/when it is ever released. I wouldn't demand that E3 be released before it can be done right any more than I would expect Valve to base their business practices on what I think. I would like them to stop lying about it, though...  

News Comments > Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year
4. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:27 Kastagir

As I recall, the creative director (?) behind the HL2 story (and Portal) is seriously ill and on a leave of absence. I don't believe this was the chief writer for HL2, and I can't remember his name. I'm fairly certain it is not Marc Laidlaw, but a less well-known individual. I got the strong impression, following such news items, that Gabe Newell and Marc Laidlaw will not continue the HL2 storyline without this individual's contribution and that said individual's "burnout" was the reason for Portal being developed rather than Episode Three.

Gabe has said a number of things that have been contradicted. He said in 2004 that he didn't want to make fans wait 6 years for a sequel to HL2, so he chose an episodic development approach. Seven years later it's hard to see that as anything but a failure or a lie. In May of this year he also said that this model has been completely replaced, though what it has been replaced with is anyone's guess.

Personally, I have not purchased a single Valve title, or anything on Steam, since the Orange Box. And I will not purchase anything from Valve (or on Steam) until HL3 Episode Three is released. This may seem extreme, but my boycott of Steam is due to my dislike of the platform and its unfriendliness to third party mods. My boycott of Valve titles is more to do with a complete lack of interest in anything they've released since HL2 and Portal.

News Comments > Mojang Turns One
4. Re: Mojang Turns One Oct 17, 2011, 20:04 Kastagir

The graphics (ASCII) are part of the appeal, which seems to be strongly associated with past experience playing Moria back in the 90s. It's interesting to watch someone 'play' DF, though it mostly consists of them watching things happen while explaining to you why this fortress is so much more successful than the last one: "this time I won't run out of soap."

Yes, the stories are great, and possibly DF is best experienced third-hand. Everyone that knows a DF player is better off than someone who doesn't know a DF player in this regard.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
104. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 15:12 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 08:46:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 03:37:
It only makes sense if your only (not primary - only) goals it to make money.

You hit it right on the head. Professional game development is a business, first and foremost. Publishers don't exist to innovate. They exist to profit. Right now, developing for consoles is how you maximize profit. Publishers don't care that console hardware is obsolete. They only care that the vast majority of consumers use console hardware to play games.

I'm not saying I agree with this mentality. I'd love for publishers to focus on PC development and really push the boundaries of both innovation and technology. However, what I want and what reality demands are sometimes two very different things. There's no point in getting frustrated about it because your anger isn't going to change a thing. If you want things to change, you'll have to do one of the following:

1) Become an indie developer that creates PC-exclusive games that are innovative and technically amazing.
2) Create a publisher that funds innovative and technically amazing PC-exclusives.
3) Boycott any games that aren't PC-exclusive.

Exxaaactly.

People who complain about EA only wanting money baffle me. What do you want them to be motivated by? They're a corporation, they only exist to make money for their shareholders. That's it, that's their entire purpose. Same with Bethesda, same with Activision, same with any gaming company. Even most indies are looking to pay the rent first and foremost, they just see innovation as the way to do that because they don't have the dev budget to focus on much else.

Just to be clear, I was talking about id software, not their publisher.

I don't care about the publisher - id is able to control how their products are made and sold. This very well may make them unique in the gaming industry, yet they chose to follow the same path as Bioware and countless others. A PC-oriented approach would still allow for a simultaneous console release, but with a clearly superior PC version at launch. This would have only increased the value of the engine to prospective licensees. Sure, it might cost more, but I think the hit to id's reputation for not considering PC technology this time around will turn out to be even more expensive than if they had followed a different course. I also don't buy any argument saying that it would have taken longer. They had 6 years. If they truly worked for 6 years solid on what was ultimately released, then they need to hire more people.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
70. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 02:07 Kastagir

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 01:02:
Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 23:24:
That's now how I interpreted his statement at all. He's saying that developing for a superior platform doesn't matter if you don't have the budget to create a game that takes advantage of it.

Nah, I didn't get that. Remember, he was speaking in the context of explaining why the PC version launched with significant technical troubles and missing features. In other words, the PC, while the most powerful platform, is also the lowest selling platform, thus not important enough to dedicate enough resources to ensure a working product at launch. Maybe it's just me, but taken in the context of the entire interview, that's what I get out of it.

Did you read his whole statement? It's HERE.

Here's what he said: "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

Given that context, it seems to me that he's talking about budgets more than anything else. Unless you're making an MMO, a PC-exclusive will never be given as big a budget as a AAA multiplatform title, so even if you're designing for the most powerful platform, you simply won't have the resources to take full advantage of it. Most publishers won't even fund a AAA PC-exclusive and it's pretty difficult to convince them that PC should be the lead SKU for a multiplatform title. Would RAGE have been a better experience if it were a PC-exclusive and had the same budget that it received as a multiplatform title? Sure. But the reality is that it wouldn't have gotten the same budget. It would have gotten a considerably lower budget. That's what Carmack is saying.

I honestly don't even read posts like this anymore. I try, but although the reasoning is measured and...well...reasonable, the fact is that if you design a game to make the most out of new technology, no amount of "reasoning" is going to justify developing the game on 7-year-old technology. The current crop of consoles are about to be obsolete. PC-gaming as the standard will only encourage Sony and Microsoft to produce new consoles, and in the meantime, PC owners get to maximize their investments with new games and console-limited people get to look forward to a new console on the horizon. Everyone wins. Developing on 7-year-old obsolete console hardware doesn't make any sense if your goal is to innovate. It only makes sense if your only (not primary - only) goals it to make money. It's a short-sighted path that will lead to the demise of many developers.

News Comments > EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount
4. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 12:25 Kastagir

"Summer drama?" What the heck goes on in this game?  

News Comments > Diablo III Collector's Edition Revealed
10. Re: Diablo III Collector's Edition Revealed Oct 11, 2011, 16:31 Kastagir

Announcing a Collector's Edition before the game's release is even known is the definition of hubris. Blizzard is as out of touch as George Lucas.  

News Comments > RAGE Patched
66. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 03:03 Kastagir

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:56:
I reverted back to the unpatched Rage.exe when I discovered they locked almost all of the console command values. The game is so much better with my custom config disabling health regen, better accuracy for bad guys, faster run/walk speed, infinite and faster sprint, no stupid highlighting objects and things you interact with, some other tweaks, oh and also this:

Inside the Wellspring Bar:
Before
After

Wellspring mayor's office:
Before
After

Call me crazy, but I think the "after" screens are better. The Wellspring Bar seems too awash with light in the "before" shot. The darker scenes are more convincing.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
219. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 03:28 Kastagir

I empathize with the Steam purchasers. I purchased Rage through Amazon and chose to read the reviews before opening the box. It has already been returned for a full refund.

Carmack's comments regarding the PC's inferior nature as a gaming platform seem strange. The only way it makes sense to develop for a 7-year old console is if your only interest is to make money. For years, Rage has been touted as new technology, but this is likely just marketing PR for potential licensees. This isn't what I would have previously associated with id, but that is clearly the direction they're moving in. I fully expect the backlash will result in very poor interest in their next offering.

I hope Bethesda is listening. I would hate to see Skyrim suffer a similar fate, though it is much too late to do anything about it now. That game too was developed on the XBOX 360, but I think more effort (or as Carmack puts it, "development effort") has been put into the PC version to make it look better.

id (Carmack) would develop a game for the iPhone if they thought it was the leading platform for games. It's still a stupid avenue to show off new technology if there's something more capable.

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
46. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:49 Kastagir

I just discovered the Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul and I'm more excited to try that than play RAGE. PC games are far more compelling, even the old ones.

I have to disagree on not buying games on day 1, however. If I don't buy Skyrim on day 1, I won't be able to enjoy it properly. If it's flawed, I won't be entitled to bemoan it's shortcomings.

News Comments > Diablo III Speed Hack?
46. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:57 Kastagir

It's a beta test after all, right? I would guess this is the reason why they are doing it. In the end, their beta won't cover enough because they didn't make it big enough and this kind of thing will still happen once the game goes live. Perhaps they know that and they're just trying to get better (i.e. faster) at fixing the holes.

Just my observation. I won't be buying it (and not because of DRM/copy-protection/persistent connection).

News Comments > MechWarrior Reboot News Nears
24. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 14:51 Kastagir

It's probably because the Clans represent the greater threat and therefor present the greatest challenge. If the game is successful, there's no reason why they can't make an expansion from a Clan's perspective. I suspect that even if it is Inner Sphere, you'll eventually be able to pilot a Clan mech. And with all the infighting, you'll probably get to shoot at Inner Sphere mechs on occasion, so all mechs will eventually appear in your sights.

But to be honest, they've been telling us to "wait about a month" for a while now.

News Comments > Diablo III in Early 2012; Beta to Expand
34. Re: Diablo III in Early 2012; Beta to Expand Sep 23, 2011, 14:52 Kastagir

Not going to buy it, this year or next.  

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
30. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 18:23 Kastagir

Personally, I'm not interested in the multiplayer precisely because of the kids who say things like "suck it up or stay away." I liked the single player experience of Diablo and Diablo 2. I have no interest in playing with a bunch of strangers who act like 14 year olds with anger management issues. If a single player PC game won't let me save my progress or pause the game at any point I choose, NO SALE.
And to any kids I offended, don't worry. I plan to "stay away" from you regardless.

Edit: Blizzard is just too full of themselves. The same absence of logic that prevents them from allowing higher resolutions leads to these same kinds of decisions. They're like George Lucas writing the script to the Star Wars sequels in a vacuum.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 21, 2011, 16:44 Kastagir

Re: Out of Eight's Sengoku.

At least the author is honest with regard to his/her "poorly written introduction." Japan isn't a "tiny island." It is an archipelago with the combined land mass near to that of the state of California.

311 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo