Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kastagir

Real Name Kastagir   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kastagir
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2004, 17:49
Total Comments 312 (Amateur)
User ID 20761

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving
44. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 20, 2011, 00:02 Kastagir

This is what bugged me the most about the UI - the static button help that made the UI unusable after changing just a few key mappings. What's terribly funny is that I resorted to using the default key settings (for the most part) and even after only about 10 hours of playing, I can't see moving away from it. Go figure.

I'm still looking forward to a real PC UI, though. From the modders, of course.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 12:53 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 10:50:
WaltC wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 09:35:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 04:09:
I think I've been unlucky. I've had around 40 CTDs,...

With that many CTD's, your problem is most likely somewhere in here:

Core i7 2600-K (4.6GHz) | HD5970 2GB (910/1200)

A-fucking-men brother.

I agree completely, though I'm sure their response is likely to be something like "but it runs fine in BF3!" Honestly, I have a friend who asked my help about his computer constantly shutting down. When I got there, I found that he had shut the computer inside a desk cabinet to reduce the noise. Some people just don't see the whole picture (and probably shouldn't own PCs). What baffles me is that Skyrim doesn't need overclocking. I have a core i7-2600k and a GTX 580, both running at stock speeds and the frame rate is a steady 55-60 at ultra detail settings.

Hey, I've got an idea. I think I'm going to go take the wheels off my car to save some weight. Then I'll get some amazing gas mileage!

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2011, 12:58.

13. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 03:59 Kastagir

Still no mention of the Creation Kit.  

11. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 03:52 Kastagir

The bugs are there, and some of them are bad (Sanguine), but I'm guessing not enough people have discovered them yet for there to be too much of a ruckus. I've also had a few CTDs, but not more than I can count on the fingers of my right hand and in each case the successive autosaves prevented any loss of time. The game is gorgeous and were it not for the UI/keymapping problems, I'd say it's nearly perfect.  

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
28. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:47 Kastagir

Dev wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:25:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:06:
$450 million and counting...I hope that means we can get some support for this game. The UI, as horrible as it is, is broken in a few places and needs to be fixed to make remapping keys less of an obstruction.
Beth gives a decent amount of support in patches to titles as seen in the past. They don't fix everything, but the mod community usually fixes most of the rest. The UI is rarely changed much though by beth, usually the mod community fixes that up to be more appropriate to PC instead of a direct port from console.

I don't need Bethesda to overhaul the UI for PC users - that would be ridiculous. I'm sure they had a spec requirement for the UI to function a certain way across all platforms, and it fills that requirement well enough. The mod community can do a far better job of coming up with a PC-specific UI on their own. What Bethesda needs to fix is the broken keybindings and how the game's different menus' commands don't work (at all) if you start rebinding keys. That and the 'button help' graphics that don't change even if you remap keys. This stuff is just dumb choices/oversights that should, and probably will, be fixed in the first patch.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
22. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:06 Kastagir

$450 million and counting...I hope that means we can get some support for this game. The UI, as horrible as it is, is broken in a few places and needs to be fixed to make remapping keys less of an obstruction.

Someone needs to break into BethSoft and destroy all their game controllers. Weekly.

News Comments > Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?
40. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:26 Kastagir

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 13:19:

It should unlock on selection, but to be fair it does tell you at the bottom that R will unlock it.

Unless you remap 'Ready/Sheathe Weapon' to something other than the default, 'R,' in which case 'R' won't work for unlocking a selection (or anything else) though the UI will still tell you to use 'R.'

Stoopid Bethesda.

News Comments > Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?
38. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:18 Kastagir

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:23:
Steam almost hit 290k(289k) concurrent users on sunday. Figuring the variety of digital services and all that, PC sales were probably in the 1m range easily.

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:22:
Except Skyrim requires Steam, so even the 476K people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.
Nope. The launcher requires steam, the game itself doesn't. You can fudge down the skyrim stats by simply running the skyrim.exe, it's not encrypted. And doesn't require steam to run.

Do you mean TESV.exe? That's the executable that runs the game without requiring steam (as SkyrimLauncher.exe does). Also, running TESV.exe doesn't overwrite your ini changes, which the Launcher does.

I'm one of the people who purchased the PC version on disk, preordered through Amazon and received on the release date. I was a little disappointed that the game still requires steam (though I knew of this beforehand) and at the skimpiness of the manual. The map is nice, but I honestly don't know why Bethesda even bothered printing DVDs for the PC version. They should have just gone the Steam route all the way. I would have much preferred a PC release like Morrowind or Oblivion - simple disk, no online activation, no DRM. People are still going to buy it in droves because it's quality.

Though, after reaming us with this UI (that doesn't reflect correct key mappings if you change anything), that may no longer be the case.

News Comments > EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans?
32. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 15:48 Kastagir

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 14:47:
I have an idea. Quit buying EA games.

Adopted this strategy a while back, seems to be working quite well. Last EA game purchased was Dragon Age: Origins. What the heck are all those people doing in the forums, anyways?

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
40. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 12:16 Kastagir

I've never heard of ThreatFire. I use a free antivirus program provided by a large software company that I know and trust not to provide updates that will prevent my machine from booting <cough> AVG <cough>.  

News Comments > 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim
62. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 14:57 Kastagir

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 13:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 10:57:
I'd call that a fairly nice machine on account of the graphics card.

Creston
Well thanks man. Though with the TDR problem I'm getting close to tossing the card up to sell and maybe picking a ATI card. To be honest I lucked out on the card, and picked it up for $169 a few months ago. On sale, with two rebates. It was retailing for $239 at the time.

And it hasn't given me much grief outside of that.

I was being plagued with TDR issues with my 2+ year old GTX 295 until I upgraded to a GTX 580. I haven't had any issues, even after upgrading to the newest non-beta 285.xx drivers. I know my GTX 295 is dying, and prone to TDRs. Buying a card from a different manufacturer is not guaranteed to solve the problem, since TDRs are not unique to nvidia hardware. The ATI driver can crash just as easily on defective hardware. I'd suggest trying your card without any overclocking first, and then, if you're still encountering problems, consider that the card itself may be defective. All of my TDRs encountered on the GTX 295 were in games; some old and some new. I've never encountered a TDR in Firefox or any of the other situations that people have attributed to the new drivers, but I also never overclock my GPU. I'm inclined to attribute these problems to hardware problems caused by defective or dying cards or overly aggressive overclocking (or both).

Edit: For those that may be curious, I run Skyrim on a single GTX 580 at 2560x1600 resolution and VRAM usage never exceeds ~930MB. That is on Ultra settings with everything maxed out. For my purposes, one card is enough, and 1.5GB of VRAM is plenty. Of course, when someone gets around to releasing some high-resolution textures for the PC, this may be tested. And sure, the UI is a pain sometimes, but if they just fixed the static button help so that you can actually remap keys and have some idea how to do stuff, I'd be happy. As it is, I'm stuck using the default key mapping, and it's a pain when I unintentionally do stuff like unleash a shout at the Jarl because I'm used to a different key mapping.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 15:06.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
20. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 01:54 Kastagir

DrEvil wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 01:38:
Hump wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 01:04:

I'm liking the game but I agree with the above. This is not an improvement on previous ES titles UI/menus etc

I dunno, from what I've seen, it's better than Morrowind's.

As great as Morrowind was in some aspects, it's UI was truly awful. It was like some cross between a wannabe IRC client and one of the early MMOs like Asheron's Call.

(I say this as someone that is playing Morrowind GOTY now since my Skyrim copy is MIA. :()

The UI doesn't make the game feel like anything other than a console game, but it would be adequate if it at least worked as intended. If they can't get the tips (or whatever you call the available options listed in the lower left) to reflect the current key mappings, then its broken.

I suppose it's no accident that the gameplay settings have the 360 controller enabled by default. <sigh> I'd buy one if I could shove it up Todd Howard's backside.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
14. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 00:23 Kastagir

The UI is a nightmare. Certain keys control multiple functions - for example, the same key that's used for sheathing/readying a weapon is used to drop items from your inventory. Unfortunately, if you change this key, they help dialogs and the key reminders at the bottom left of the screen don't update! They still list what the action is according to default keymapping, so you have to look at what the function was originally assigned to by looking at the manual, then finding out what you assigned it to. Problem is that the manual doesn't say that one key controls several functions like sheathe and drop - you have to figure that out for yourself. This is a complete fail and demands a patch to fix the inconsistency. I can't believe they shipped the game with the UI in this state. Sure, it's a bad design, but beyond that, it's BROKEN!  

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
101. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 03:29 Kastagir

Bucky wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 02:02:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 01:29:
Has anyone been able to rotate items in your inventory when using the mouse+keyboard? I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the PC. Is a controller actually required for this? That would be crazy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hold RMB and rotate. I'd jump back in to double-check, but then it'll be sunrise...

Right-click (hold or not) equips the item. I don't see a way to manipulate/rotate an item on a mouse/keyboard setup.

96. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 01:29 Kastagir

Has anyone been able to rotate items in your inventory when using the mouse+keyboard? I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the PC. Is a controller actually required for this? That would be crazy.  

94. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:58 Kastagir

Have to agree that the interface design, while understandably simple in its conception, is anything but intuitive, with no tutorials or explanation on how it is intended to be used. The combination of 'Take All' and 'POV change' being both bound to 'R' means that every time you loot a container, your POV changes. Idiotic.

This interface is clearly (I mean, 100%) designed for controllers, not mouse + keyboard. Very sad.

The game looks great, though. Hopefully, the UI is still salvageable through mods.

19. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 13:07 Kastagir

Oh DarN, where have you gone?

"I did propose to a middle-aged warrior woman by accident"

Hasn't everyone?

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
66. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 19:59 Kastagir

Mangrove wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:07:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 13:25:
Mangrove wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 11:06:
What would make the game feel more alive to me would be bumping into other adventurers on the road. Perhaps they could use this quest system to send off woefully under equipped novice adventurers to their certain doom

I'm sure this is one of the many reasons Bethesda is not willing to make an Elder Scrolls MMO: they don't want the dicks to ruin the experience for the rest of us.

I meant NPC adventurers rather than other players. Yes I can just imagine the joy I would get seeing dozens of ADD lunatics charging everywhere screaming "Me first!", and trampling all over the flora and fauna

Ah! My bad, then.

NPC adventurers would be interesting, but wouldn't they beg the question: "what are you doing here?" Every NPC in Oblivion had a role, whether it was a guard, a worshiper, a monk, etc. Having a wandering NPC to interact with would be fine, but a wandering NPC adventurer would probably make for a far more interesting opponent than a quest-giver.

What would be cool is if you (the PC) could give quests to NPCs. It would be great to have junior members of your guild, for instance, fetch the little things you need to complete a bigger, more involved quest, allowing you to focus on the more interesting parts of the game.

33. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 13:25 Kastagir

Mangrove wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 11:06:
What would make the game feel more alive to me would be bumping into other adventurers on the road. Perhaps they could use this quest system to send off woefully under equipped novice adventurers to their certain doom

I'm sure this is one of the many reasons Bethesda is not willing to make an Elder Scrolls MMO: they don't want the dicks to ruin the experience for the rest of us.

32. Re: Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests" Nov 9, 2011, 13:23 Kastagir

I wonder how many people will have the balls to play this game without looking at guides or wiki-websites. I remember when I played through Morrowind for the first time, before the GotY edition came out for PC, and I felt completely lost in a huge world. It was great. Oblivion was published in an era where online guides were almost required for some games (e.g. alchemy?). I hope the developers have not made the assumption that players will invariably play the game while simultaneously browsing the web for guides, walkthroughs and hints. While this may appeal to some, I want to experience Skyrim without such distractions.  

312 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo