Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 13:50 raVen

Blue:
It's quite possible your old DNS servers were slow; and new service with I assume DHCP new DNS servers too that would go away. They might be doing some DNS caching on your router too which can go a long way for initial speed. This is definitely the case if they gave you a new router with your new FiOS connection.

(DNS - Domain Name System :: DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
25. Re: Diablo III Bans Nov 9, 2012, 18:37 raVen

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:11:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:21:
I'm still dumbfounded by how we've reached the point where you aren't allowed to cheat in a single-player game.

Doh, it is certainly not single player with the auction house, I am dumbfounded you even thought it was.
D2 could be played single player. I think that's the point here. They went from an optional multi-player game to a mandatory multi-player game.
I know for sure I don't really care about playing online, LAN would have been plenty for me (or just a straight up tcp 4 player game would have been good)
edit: Especially since 1/2 to 3/4 of my Hardcore characters died due to lag.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
71. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 12:46 raVen

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:32:
As for vehicles, Codename Eagle had vehicle-centric gameplay before Halo. It was DICE's first game and the predecessor to BF1942. Then there's Tribes, of course. Also, Tribes 2 came out before Halo and was much more vehicle-centric than Tribes 1.

Anyway, another good reason to hate Halo is because it popularized two really annoying mechanics that you now see in almost every shooter: regenerating health/shields and two-weapon limits.

I concede the regenerating shields and 2 gun limit; however it did work well in Halo, just not anywhere else. It's unfortunate that every dev had to use that everywhere after Halo, rather than creatively solve the problem another way. (but hey it does solve some frustration problems)
Yet, Halo had all of the previously mentioned 'late to the party' list in one package, and it worked well together!
Plus whoever said the graphics were worse than Unreal, Nice hyperbole. (trollface) Halo 1 was one of the first games to have really wide open areas and tight cramped areas. (AND VEHICLES)

I'm not really a halo fanboy, I just hate it when people are saying stupid shit because they think it makes some opinion more powerful when it actually undermines it for anyone who's in the know.

(On the MS note: Microsoft Games division and PC divisions never really work together. but Microsoft is a huge company, that's kind of expected.)
Acknowledgements: I don't work for MS, but I do work in the games industry. and I haven't purchased any Halo game since 3.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
34. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:48 raVen

Just like how Halo 1 was designed for the Mac, and was still coming for the PC... and then Bungie got bought by Microsoft.
Now I'm remembering the launch of the Geforce series was right around that same time, It's been a long time.
It really makes one wonder why Microsoft doesn't take care of all of their platforms. [redacted] ... anyways, I bet if MS did show a unified front of support across everything maybe people would give them the time of day for win8 without waiting for a few SP's.
It's been probably a year or two since I've bought a console game, and I don't see that changing.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 01:55.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
22. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:50 raVen

I don't think blizzard / activision has released digital sales numbers. Like Valve it's hard to gauge unless the developers come out and spell out how many were sold digitally.
2.7M retail + anything digital is pretty good, most everyone I play with bought it digitally too.

(that's only 20-30 people, but you see my point yes?)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 19:15 raVen

Sony Vita screwups:
  • PSone games you've already purchased on ps3/psp not playable day one

• Not ever making it clear if we'd have to rebuy PSone games for vita

• Region lockout

• Now account lockouts

• #3 was a real deal breaker for me, and I'm still mad at Nintendo due to the same crap on 3DS (Except I can still play my non US region DS games on my US 3DS)
    Both Nintendo and Sony don't understand that we don't want to buy games over and over again. At least I don't. I won't buy any more virtual console / PSN until they allow usage across at least their own consoles/handhelds.

(I don't own a Vita, and at this rate wont.)
    And then I'd probably buy entire catalogs if they had a supported emulator for PC.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
    145. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 24, 2012, 01:19 raVen

When Ubisoft pisses off legitimate customers, the only customers they have left are pirates.  

News Comments > etc.
    9. Re: etc. Jul 30, 2012, 02:38 raVen

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:27:
    Question:
    If Linux is saying 'Fuck you!' to Nvidia due to bad drivers, why would I want to go to a brand spanking new OS, with bad driver support?

In context that was said about a specific chipset that NVidia decided not to support (Laptop chipset that had an intel graphics chip and an NV chip that the user could switch back and forth)

NVidia has never been 'opensource' friendly either. But they do provide a binary driver (something just like you'd get in windows) that would usually do the trick. (however in this instance, even the binary blob didn't perform as advertised: Hence, the pissed off consumers and Linus.)

Another reason I've been ATi/AMD for the past 2-3 generations, because I know open source Linux support actually exists from AMD.

News Comments > etc., etc.
    1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 21, 2012, 21:20 raVen

Stock ticker: Notice EA went on a very PC-consumer unfriendly binge at that same time with Origin exclusives, exclusive dlc to Origin causing games to not be on Steam. There's more to the story than just SWTOR not doing fantastic.

I'm not sure how much ME:3 played into it, but there's even more bad press with upset fans.

Who says all press is good press ?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 12:41 raVen

avianflu wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:26:
    I see both sides but nvidia is entirely within its rights to protect its stuff.
    As is Linus to protect the image of Linux. If Nvidia hardware doesn't actually work like it should, no one can guarantee except Nvidia due to drivers being entirely closed.
    The closest that can happen outside of Nvidia is entirely through reverse engineering, while a means to a goal could be easily sped up through documentation alone.

Meanwhile with every other vendor they can just write better drivers, fix system breaking bugs, and improve on whatever information the vendors have given them to work with.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 03:16 raVen

guys that make the most stable feature complete drivers for Linux
    I wont expect you to watch the whole hour video like I did. but at least back up 1min to listen to the question: She asks why her dual graphics laptop is shit and doesn't work right in Linux. His response is that Nvidia hasn't ever gone the distance with actually supporting the community with documents and information about their chipsets / chips. They do provide a binary blob, and yes it sometimes works.

At the very beginning of the video Linus talks about why he started working on Linux in the first place, and it was because there was a void with his software that needed to be filled in this case he had used Unix at the University -- where he had been writing all of his tools and programs from scratch, because that's just how he grew up with software, if he couldn't buy a program due to lack of money or doesn't exist on the platform, he would write his own software as a replacement. With that bit of information it should be clearer why when a company will go out of the way to use Linux internally but do not actually contribute to Linux other than a binary blob that in order to be truly useful has to be reverse engineered.

TLDR; The question in which he replies Fuck you Nvidia is directed at their binary driver not working, and them not actually providing support.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
    45. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done" Jun 17, 2012, 04:01 raVen

If Blizzard also releases MoP this year, I will definitely have Blizzard fatigue.
    I really wanted to love SC2, and even D3. Maybe my tastes are changing?

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
    175. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:12 raVen

The servers just went down to do an service update. I'm wondering if it's to plug some security hole? or just a normal patch day thing. Who knows it's the first Tuesday since Diablo III has been out.

Quite terrifying actually. I just got to the end of Act IV about to fight the final boss when I get this message that the servers are going down in 12 minutes. ... mind you I'm playing on Hardcore.

Needless to say I vanquished D3 on normal and tomorrow I shall venture into Nightmare in hardcore.

(Edit: Tomorrow means after I wake up as it's obviously after midnight.)

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
    29. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 17:39 raVen

I can understand your viewpoint about current hardcore Linux users not inclined to use Steam.
    There is another viewpoint to consider: Those that would like to continue to play games and currently use Windows because that's the only option.

With NVidia recently joining the Linux Foundation, and we're seeing even better AMD driver support, I can see a storm a brewin in the near future.
    I think it really boils down to how much support MS decides to give Win7 if people absolutely hate Win8.

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
    26. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 17:10 raVen

DNForever wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:55:
    I recall another company that would arrogantly say "when it's done", and their game took like 12 years to come out. Hint, it's my screenname.
    That's because George B wanted to desperately put everything in the game, including anything iD ever said or did.

Creston wrote:
    On topic: It's one thing to port Steam to Linux, but if you don't have any games on it, what's the point?
    In the article they show L4D2 running on a linux machine. They talk about how they're also porting Source to linux.

I'm excited personally. I've wanted to try gaming on linux again. It wasn't very good back in the cedega/transgaming days. (Winex / even mainline wine .9)

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
    10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 24, 2012, 22:45 raVen

Jivaro wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 22:35:
    More to the point...isn't simply the act of ceasing to give them money really the only message EA or Bioware are really going to listen to anyway? Of course it is.
    Yes and no.
    If you don't communicate why you are no longer purchasing EA/Bioware products they wont really get it other than: "Oh, this type of game must not be profitable any more."
    I don't know of a good way to do communicate a reason why. This turning on and off the console is interesting, but doesn't seem to fit the bill.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 13:59 raVen

Now I need to figure out what to do with all the worms this early bird business has produced.
    Mossless stones, of course.

News Comments > New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
    55. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 14:08 raVen

Eh, it's going to get smacked down again just like all the rest.
    That means the topic is null and void.

News Comments > New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
    53. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 11:51 raVen

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 06:17:
    ? DOn't think i would want to live in Japan.....don't really think their quality of life is better than most others....or hardly anyone for that matter...not defending original poster, just sayin....

First off, have you been to Japan? I doubt you have. My experience in Japan was amazing, don't knock it until you try it.

Secondly, I came here to post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baka_(fool)#Pragmatics

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
    17. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Jan 30, 2012, 14:05 raVen

I have run across the random zomg knife hack. but it's usually not that bad if you play on servers that has admins.

I'm actually more annoyed at how broken the friends list is than random people cheating. Origin simply is terrible, and battlelog is only an extension of that terrible. A unified friends list is a double edged sword, and probably not the best solution but it's better than what's going on right now.

Honestly, Origin / BattleLog and the game crashing about every 3-4 matches is taking more out of the game than the occasional cheater.
    I probably wont play the next battlefield unless this stuff changes. (Unlikely.)

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo