Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 322 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
57. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:40 raVen

3rd parties are responsible for patching games via Steam, and fixing problems that arise from patches.

I haven't had problems logging into Steam since back when HL2 launched. I'm always logged in, and I log in at work. I honestly think Steam is too successful to ever shut down at this point, but even Valve has come out and said they would release a 'patch' in that event.

If you know you're going on a trip and wont have internet, you probably would have already logged in at some point. I believe it will allow offline mode if you've already logged on with that machine. I do not know specifics.

I think you make sense when it comes to separating the DRM and the client. I personally hate almost all DRM. And I think because the client brings other features and it 'is' the DRM I mind it less.

There are definitely benefits to having a system which is lenient and one that publishers back because it prevents piracy. I think Steam fits this bill: As far as I know it does prevent piracy. I have heard about older games (HL2, CS:S) being pirated, but I haven't kept up on any of that. Mostly because I've paid for those games and don't mind the DRM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 01:29 raVen

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:14:
Steam's DRM would be horrendous to more customers if it wasn't so easily cracked or if the fanboys weren't so blinded by love that they overlook its failures.
Yet, Steam is one platform where you can choose to (or in your case choose to not) purchase the game on. No matter how you buy ACII on PC you are stuck with broken DRM that you paid for and can't even play the game.*

I happen to be okay with Steam's DRM. In fact I find it very convenient. Please, air your grievances. Apparently you think I'm short-sighted and can't see what is wrong with it. Maybe you'll open my eyes.

Conveniences:
  • No more damn patches. I'm always up to date.

• One login for many games.

• I don't even have to be online after installing. (Offline Mode)

• Friends lists, server lists, tons of other social stuff and free.

• Problems:
  • Heavy use - Launch titles HL2 basically took Steam down for days. I haven't seen anything as bad since, they have learned some good lessons.

• I have to log in to be able to go into offline mode. I haven't tried to do this since near launch of Steam

• * - This could be growing pains of their broken DRM as I stated Steam already went through. But that's not my problem to be honest. It's Ubisoft's.

Please, add your problems to the list, I'd like to hear what I'm apparently not seeing.

21. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:52 raVen

I think retailers should take pc games back again now that they have one time use keys and things.

This would put pressure on assholes publishers or developers to not use such crappy DRM.

Plus, if one use keys are sent back to manufacturer / publisher when the game is returned they can deactivate the key. (Thinking more along the lines of steam)

Ubisoft: Look at Steam, DRM that works and isn't horrendous to the customer.

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
    14. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:00 raVen

Consumers will never hurt because they have more options.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Failure
    22. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 11:30 raVen

just get out of the PC game business.
    I think that's what they're trying to prove to board / shareholders right now.

Break everything, show it's unprofitable and you don't have to do it anymore.

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node
    6. Re: On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node Mar 3, 2010, 18:53 raVen

That might be true if it didn't take place of one of either the teleporter or dispenser. They do mention that whatever they end up doing will not take away either of those as that was what was causing most of the balance and proclaimed 'selfishness' of the Engineer.  

News Comments > More Valve Mac Clues
    2. Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 18:15 raVen

I think they'll do quite well and this might actually be the tip of the iceburg that the mac community (devs and gamers) have needed.

If the OSX platform is viable and steam monthly hardware reports start showing how many macs use steam we could actually see much more dev support getting behind cross platform development. I think it's a great idea, who knows it might eventually lead to a Linux client too -- either way being restricted to windows sucks. I prefer PC input for most gameplay types.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming
    18. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming Mar 3, 2010, 14:58 raVen

I do not have the Med Kit yet, my first game I was able to play in multiplayer said it was the first thing I will unlock.
    I didn't play through beta, and I have entered the 2nd key from Steam.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming
    7. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming Mar 3, 2010, 11:28 raVen

I'm enjoying the single player more than I enjoyed MW2's so far. The game UI feels way clunkier than MW2 but overall I think I like BC2 more.

I've only tried a little multiplayer due to that kicking bug. Hopefully i'll get more time over this weekend to play it.

News Comments > King's Quest Fan Game Killed
    13. Re: King's Quest Fan Game Killed Mar 1, 2010, 15:03 raVen

Unless they obtained written, explicit consent from the current IP owners before they started working on this project, they were setting themselves up for this.

The thing is they had done that.
    In 2005, Phoenix Online Studios received a Cease & Desist letter from Vivendi Universal, the owners of the King's Quest IP, in regards to our work on The Silver Lining. We complied with the request, and over the months that followed, we were able to work out a non-commercial fan license with Vivendi that allowed us to continue our work on the game.

News Comments > New Steam Beta
    28. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 11:18 raVen

Deltas of files are surpisingly small. you should read up on incremental backup systems if you think it's HUGE.  

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Next Month
    11. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Next Month Feb 22, 2010, 15:29 raVen

Is this going to include no-lag multiplayer?

I think I'm done with games that don't have dedicated servers. I only tried it because single-player seemed much crashier after updating to the latest patch. Now I almost regret trying it; it isn't fun shooting at someone and warping into a wall only to turn and try and shoot again to warp to the opposite wall.

Way to kill multiplayer!

News Comments > John Carmack Earns GDC Lifetime Achievement Award
    1. Re: John Carmack Earns GDC Lifetime Achievement Award Feb 22, 2010, 13:56 raVen

Awesome. I've always looked up to John Carmack; I think he's a brilliant dude, and totally deserves this award.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
    2. Re: Safety Dance Feb 22, 2010, 11:58 raVen

What about Music videos? THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS DESTROYING OUR CHILDREN!
    lmao, the sky is falling people, and today video games are to blame.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Patched
    47. Re: BioShock 2 Patched Feb 14, 2010, 14:48 raVen

Great, after this patch I get a crash 2-5 minutes after loading my save.
    went from completely playable to not playable. Go 2k!

News Comments > ATI Catalyst Hotfix
    6. Re: ATI Catalyst Hotfix Dec 19, 2009, 15:28 raVen

And why is it 159 MB?!?!?!?
    In the hotfix they added support for OpenCL, it probably has a ton of extra tools / platform support for OpenCL.

News Comments > ATI Catalyst Hotfix
    2. Re: ATI Catalyst Hotfix Dec 18, 2009, 17:53 raVen

I'm sure they found out about it while testing the release of 9.12 and before testing was finished they had a patch. Instead of having to test a new package I assume they tested the hot-fix on it's own.

I'm guessing this is the 'fastest' way it could get out with a decent amount of testing. I installed 9.12 but haven't installed the hot-fix yet; I'll probably do that tonight.

edit: They also seem to do monthly releases rather than whenever they make a new driver. (NVidia) I'm sure they were trying to meet the deadline.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2009, 17:54.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
    6. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Dec 18, 2009, 17:06 raVen

Patch Adams.  

News Comments > Steam Top Sellers
    8. Re: Steam Top Sellers Dec 14, 2009, 13:22 raVen

I hear video games are pretty fun, if you like them.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
    1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 13, 2009, 04:05 raVen

Wow, NVidia didn't release a new GPU this year, and they're giving Intel shit about Larrabee? Go figure Kettle calling the Pot black.
    I almost wish nvidia had released a card so I could get an msrp priced Radeon.

322 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 11.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo