Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 305 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Todd Hollenshead Leaves id
15. Re: Todd Hollenshead Leaves id Jun 27, 2013, 00:03 raVen

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 23:53:
Additionally, John Carmack was never interested in making technology others can license...
Abrash talked about how that all started here

I hope Todd does well moving forward.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2013, 00:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2013, 12:17 raVen

If you think the consumer side sucks... You should see what developers have to put up with firmware and tool wise.
And yes, It'll be the last of the IBM chips for a while; but most of the tool chains work quite well once you get through the obstacle course. It amazes me how Nintendo can treat devs (Indies, and big studio devs too; the tools are THAT bad) and think they can attract good games and good developers.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2013, 21:54 raVen

Frostbite for phones, but not Wii-U? Hahahahahaha.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:55 raVen

Way to miss my point entirely.

Edit:
Looks like there are some issues that they're already working out patches for.
https://twitter.com/renaudbedard/status/329774338196791297

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 00:16.

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:44 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:26:
But you can get away doing xbox development with the free version.
Nope, only for the indie version of xbla, NOT the full XBLive.

So, how much money have you donated lately Bradley? Are you a douche?
To be honest it's not of my damn business, and Fez's finances are none of our damn business either. I hope it did enough that those who worked on it could work on another game. Which is usually the end goal here, or at least pay for all of the time it took to develop the game.

I don't know how long it was in dev, and could have cost way more than you think it did.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:15 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:06:
All that didn't cost enough to make me think he's not a douche for continuing to sell a broken product that he has no intention of fixing.
Perspective, I doubt you know where he's coming from. While it doesn't forgive things he said and did... Shipping a game is as far as I can tell the closest thing to having a kid, and when you share that with the world and any portion of that world thinks your kid is ugly or is stupid, you're going to protect it however you can, and probably over-react.
You have no way of knowing his intentions; Money easily could have been a dealbreaker. ~hopefully steam wont have that problem as patching shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (I believe it's free?)

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:55 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:37:
That's only part of the issue. He also has a really bad history of supporting the existing xbox version. After a patch that introduced new save game destroying bugs he public said that he wouldn't release a new patch to fix the problem because Microsoft would charge him a couple of thousand dollars. On a game that made him millions he wouldn't spend a few thousand to fix newly added bugs. If he refuses to support even his preferred platform properly, he sure isn't going to try very hard for the one he disdains.
MS takes some of the blame on that one; and I'd bet the steam release will get better support than XBL release.
Fez is huge, especially for an indie game. QA can be rough with TONS of people looking for and fixing bugs. I'm pretty sure Phil doesn't have many people that can help him out. Yes, this doesn't excuse issues, but I personally cut him a ton of slack. Crunch is pretty brutal guys, after shipping you don't really want to think much about the game. (That can depend on what you're working on)
The savegame bug on XBL was part of the reason I didn't play much on the 360. I didn't want my game erased.

I've been in Dev for a while, I guess it's easier for me to cut the guy some slack.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:14 raVen

Phil is just a guy, remember he doesn't have a PR firm behind him telling him what to say and what not to say.
People make mistakes, and people have different opinions than you. It's a pretty rad game IMO, I just wish we weren't in crunch so I could spend more time playing it.

I've finally bought everything I played or wanted to play on 360 on steam now. (yes, I bought it twice)

News Comments > BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight
3. Re: BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight Apr 24, 2013, 22:16 raVen

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 21:46:
It really wasn't all that long ago that I never thought I'd ever despise Blizzard. My how times change.
I feel nearly identical to this.

News Comments > Disney Infinity Announced
11. Re: Disney Infinity Announced Jan 16, 2013, 12:15 raVen

Dades wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:41:
Too bad no PC support announced so far, would be something nice for the kids.
Gamasutra has this at the end of their recent article:
The game is slated to release in June for Nintendo Wii and Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, plus an "accompanying mobile experience."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 15:30 raVen

I mostly added for ease of searching for those that aren't familiar with them.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 13:50 raVen

Blue:
It's quite possible your old DNS servers were slow; and new service with I assume DHCP new DNS servers too that would go away. They might be doing some DNS caching on your router too which can go a long way for initial speed. This is definitely the case if they gave you a new router with your new FiOS connection.

(DNS - Domain Name System :: DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
25. Re: Diablo III Bans Nov 9, 2012, 18:37 raVen

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:11:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:21:
I'm still dumbfounded by how we've reached the point where you aren't allowed to cheat in a single-player game.

Doh, it is certainly not single player with the auction house, I am dumbfounded you even thought it was.
D2 could be played single player. I think that's the point here. They went from an optional multi-player game to a mandatory multi-player game.
I know for sure I don't really care about playing online, LAN would have been plenty for me (or just a straight up tcp 4 player game would have been good)
edit: Especially since 1/2 to 3/4 of my Hardcore characters died due to lag.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
71. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 12:46 raVen

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:32:
As for vehicles, Codename Eagle had vehicle-centric gameplay before Halo. It was DICE's first game and the predecessor to BF1942. Then there's Tribes, of course. Also, Tribes 2 came out before Halo and was much more vehicle-centric than Tribes 1.

Anyway, another good reason to hate Halo is because it popularized two really annoying mechanics that you now see in almost every shooter: regenerating health/shields and two-weapon limits.

I concede the regenerating shields and 2 gun limit; however it did work well in Halo, just not anywhere else. It's unfortunate that every dev had to use that everywhere after Halo, rather than creatively solve the problem another way. (but hey it does solve some frustration problems)
Yet, Halo had all of the previously mentioned 'late to the party' list in one package, and it worked well together!
Plus whoever said the graphics were worse than Unreal, Nice hyperbole. (trollface) Halo 1 was one of the first games to have really wide open areas and tight cramped areas. (AND VEHICLES)

I'm not really a halo fanboy, I just hate it when people are saying stupid shit because they think it makes some opinion more powerful when it actually undermines it for anyone who's in the know.

(On the MS note: Microsoft Games division and PC divisions never really work together. but Microsoft is a huge company, that's kind of expected.)
Acknowledgements: I don't work for MS, but I do work in the games industry. and I haven't purchased any Halo game since 3.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
34. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:48 raVen

Just like how Halo 1 was designed for the Mac, and was still coming for the PC... and then Bungie got bought by Microsoft.
Now I'm remembering the launch of the Geforce series was right around that same time, It's been a long time.
It really makes one wonder why Microsoft doesn't take care of all of their platforms. [redacted] ... anyways, I bet if MS did show a unified front of support across everything maybe people would give them the time of day for win8 without waiting for a few SP's.
It's been probably a year or two since I've bought a console game, and I don't see that changing.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 01:55.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
22. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:50 raVen

I don't think blizzard / activision has released digital sales numbers. Like Valve it's hard to gauge unless the developers come out and spell out how many were sold digitally.
2.7M retail + anything digital is pretty good, most everyone I play with bought it digitally too.

(that's only 20-30 people, but you see my point yes?)

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 19:15 raVen

Sony Vita screwups:
  • PSone games you've already purchased on ps3/psp not playable day one

• Not ever making it clear if we'd have to rebuy PSone games for vita

• Region lockout

• Now account lockouts

• #3 was a real deal breaker for me, and I'm still mad at Nintendo due to the same crap on 3DS (Except I can still play my non US region DS games on my US 3DS)
    Both Nintendo and Sony don't understand that we don't want to buy games over and over again. At least I don't. I won't buy any more virtual console / PSN until they allow usage across at least their own consoles/handhelds.

(I don't own a Vita, and at this rate wont.)
    And then I'd probably buy entire catalogs if they had a supported emulator for PC.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
    145. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 24, 2012, 01:19 raVen

When Ubisoft pisses off legitimate customers, the only customers they have left are pirates.  

News Comments > etc.
    9. Re: etc. Jul 30, 2012, 02:38 raVen

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:27:
    Question:
    If Linux is saying 'Fuck you!' to Nvidia due to bad drivers, why would I want to go to a brand spanking new OS, with bad driver support?

In context that was said about a specific chipset that NVidia decided not to support (Laptop chipset that had an intel graphics chip and an NV chip that the user could switch back and forth)

NVidia has never been 'opensource' friendly either. But they do provide a binary driver (something just like you'd get in windows) that would usually do the trick. (however in this instance, even the binary blob didn't perform as advertised: Hence, the pissed off consumers and Linus.)

Another reason I've been ATi/AMD for the past 2-3 generations, because I know open source Linux support actually exists from AMD.

News Comments > etc., etc.
    1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 21, 2012, 21:20 raVen

Stock ticker: Notice EA went on a very PC-consumer unfriendly binge at that same time with Origin exclusives, exclusive dlc to Origin causing games to not be on Steam. There's more to the story than just SWTOR not doing fantastic.

I'm not sure how much ME:3 played into it, but there's even more bad press with upset fans.

Who says all press is good press ?

305 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo