Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
47. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 02:54 raVen

I bought this day one for full price on steam. I tried for several weeks to play it but suffered with terrible video drivers, and game crashes.

I still haven't played the whole game yet.

I totally respect Carmack for pushing the driver tech from AMD/NVIDIA and getting new stuff to happen. I'm just disappointed it went down the way it did, and still haven't brought myself to try playing it again after crashing as much as it did.

Also on the DLC note: this is the first time I think iD has done DLC. ? It doesn't surprise me it came out so late, DLC can be a tricky beast. (framework and whatnot)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 3, 2013, 17:27 raVen

Gas Bandit wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 13:48:
"How Scary Can An Old-School Programmer Could Be?"

About as scary as that grammar, I guess.
Hahahaha, whoever wrote that article is completely clueless.
Fun to see some old school demos again though.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 21:49 raVen

I think a little bit of kindness can go a hell of a long way. Just as a little bit of toxicity can also go the same if not triple the distance in the other direction.

He's indy. I'm not. But being indy doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to be professional. Huge props to Team Meat for just being awesome. (And from what it seems, Team Meat has quit the internet. source: Indy Game The Movie)

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 21:18 raVen

to sum things up:
Developer speaks his mind without framing it, causing people to get pissed. I'm going to pick the: You need to play my game on a couch.
To be honest it seemed Phil rarely chose to take the high road, or try to be professional in any manner. I've been on show floors demoing games, it's a different experience than one expects. While I've never had anyone play the game I'm showing and tell me it's shit to my face, I've had people tell me they weren't interested. Sure, it's tough to deal with when you've put 4-5 years of your life into it, but that doesn't mean you can't be professional.
(I want to go off on Phil about the Japanese games comment he made, while yes he was speaking his mind, he intentionally said it in the most inflammatory way possible with a huge grin on his face too. Very shitty thing to do to any kind of fan, especially fellow developer.)

Add some Press being unprofessional into the mix (Which wow, press has become pretty unprofessional the past 5 years in games.) and I can even see not wanting to work with those press outlets anymore too.

BUT: Phil if you ever see this take a damn chill pill. You are not what people see on the net. You are not Fez; or even just guy who made Fez. You're more than that. And seriously? Grow up.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
21. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 17:35 raVen

This really says quite a bit:
Fez programmer not returning for Fez II

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 21, 2013, 23:00 raVen

Also, that Play Value video(s) is pretty MS Slanted, and it's Endorsed / funded by XBoxLive.
FYI

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 21, 2013, 22:38 raVen

Also, if you're that worried about how much you download, you should definitely figure out how to turn on click to play plugins for your browser. Most of them support this in some fashion or another.
I use it to stop flash ads, because they're super annoying 99% of the time. (And usually resource draining.)
I stopped using adblock after turning this on, because I no longer needed adblock (I still see still / gif images from time to time, but most ads have gone to flash -- and the image ads I do see usually aren't blinking random colors or doing crazy stuff like they used to.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 02:00 raVen

Hellbinder wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 20:27:
all they had to do was give the Wii U a decent speed processor and maybe another gig of ram and it would be fine. they would get ports and game development support. The graphics part is fine.

I will never understand how they could have been so retarded and foolish as to release a console with a processor slower than some cell phones have.

It's not that bad. The Wii-U is pretty comparable to the 360. (in most respects)
BUT - The developer tools are no where near the 360 or even the PS3 dev tools.
When Sony bought SN systems, Nintendo went from having mediocre devtools to terrible dev tools.
When it's a pain in the ass to get the a dev console to even display a developer settings menu (10 step+ process from pulling out of a factory box) there's no wonder EA and others have recoiled from even trying to port to it. Hardware wise: it's so much better than the wii, but no one has a mature tool chain to work with it like we have with the wii.
I'm excited to dig into the new (MS/Sony) hardware in the upcoming months.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 01:34 raVen

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:41:
Going back to the 80s, the weakest console almost always won.

SNES: Won and was most powerful (discounting things like the NeoGeo, which had no distribution)
PS: Weaker than the N64
PS2: Weaker than the 360 and GC
Wii: Weaker than the 360 and PS3
Gameboy: Weaker than the GameGear, Nomad and Playstation Portable and Vita

I'd say it's pretty true that raw stats don't matter. It's the games first, the brand second.
But most of the above came at a time when there were far more exclusives.
I think it's all about the easiest to develop for. (Sony handhelds haven't been as easy or similar iteration to iteration as Nintendo handhelds.)
I don't know much about the SNES, but the NES had market penetration, and when the SNES came out there were plenty of games people wanted to play for it. (memory gets hazy, I didn't own an NES / SNES until much later)

Mark Cerny talked about some of this from the point of view of Sony: Mark Cerny "The Road to PS4" - 'No Hum, No Pajama' Edition @ gamelabs 2013
I found the talk from Gamelabs 2013 informative. (47:15)
Anyone wanting to know more about the intimate details of Sony and console design should watch this video.

News Comments > Todd Hollenshead Leaves id
15. Re: Todd Hollenshead Leaves id Jun 27, 2013, 00:03 raVen

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 23:53:
Additionally, John Carmack was never interested in making technology others can license...
Abrash talked about how that all started here

I hope Todd does well moving forward.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2013, 00:09.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2013, 12:17 raVen

If you think the consumer side sucks... You should see what developers have to put up with firmware and tool wise.
And yes, It'll be the last of the IBM chips for a while; but most of the tool chains work quite well once you get through the obstacle course. It amazes me how Nintendo can treat devs (Indies, and big studio devs too; the tools are THAT bad) and think they can attract good games and good developers.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2013, 21:54 raVen

Frostbite for phones, but not Wii-U? Hahahahahaha.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:55 raVen

Way to miss my point entirely.

Edit:
Looks like there are some issues that they're already working out patches for.
https://twitter.com/renaudbedard/status/329774338196791297

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 00:16.

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:44 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:26:
But you can get away doing xbox development with the free version.
Nope, only for the indie version of xbla, NOT the full XBLive.

So, how much money have you donated lately Bradley? Are you a douche?
To be honest it's not of my damn business, and Fez's finances are none of our damn business either. I hope it did enough that those who worked on it could work on another game. Which is usually the end goal here, or at least pay for all of the time it took to develop the game.

I don't know how long it was in dev, and could have cost way more than you think it did.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:15 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:06:
All that didn't cost enough to make me think he's not a douche for continuing to sell a broken product that he has no intention of fixing.
Perspective, I doubt you know where he's coming from. While it doesn't forgive things he said and did... Shipping a game is as far as I can tell the closest thing to having a kid, and when you share that with the world and any portion of that world thinks your kid is ugly or is stupid, you're going to protect it however you can, and probably over-react.
You have no way of knowing his intentions; Money easily could have been a dealbreaker. ~hopefully steam wont have that problem as patching shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (I believe it's free?)

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:55 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:37:
That's only part of the issue. He also has a really bad history of supporting the existing xbox version. After a patch that introduced new save game destroying bugs he public said that he wouldn't release a new patch to fix the problem because Microsoft would charge him a couple of thousand dollars. On a game that made him millions he wouldn't spend a few thousand to fix newly added bugs. If he refuses to support even his preferred platform properly, he sure isn't going to try very hard for the one he disdains.
MS takes some of the blame on that one; and I'd bet the steam release will get better support than XBL release.
Fez is huge, especially for an indie game. QA can be rough with TONS of people looking for and fixing bugs. I'm pretty sure Phil doesn't have many people that can help him out. Yes, this doesn't excuse issues, but I personally cut him a ton of slack. Crunch is pretty brutal guys, after shipping you don't really want to think much about the game. (That can depend on what you're working on)
The savegame bug on XBL was part of the reason I didn't play much on the 360. I didn't want my game erased.

I've been in Dev for a while, I guess it's easier for me to cut the guy some slack.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:14 raVen

Phil is just a guy, remember he doesn't have a PR firm behind him telling him what to say and what not to say.
People make mistakes, and people have different opinions than you. It's a pretty rad game IMO, I just wish we weren't in crunch so I could spend more time playing it.

I've finally bought everything I played or wanted to play on 360 on steam now. (yes, I bought it twice)

News Comments > BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight
3. Re: BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight Apr 24, 2013, 22:16 raVen

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 21:46:
It really wasn't all that long ago that I never thought I'd ever despise Blizzard. My how times change.
I feel nearly identical to this.

News Comments > Disney Infinity Announced
11. Re: Disney Infinity Announced Jan 16, 2013, 12:15 raVen

Dades wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:41:
Too bad no PC support announced so far, would be something nice for the kids.
Gamasutra has this at the end of their recent article:
The game is slated to release in June for Nintendo Wii and Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, plus an "accompanying mobile experience."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 15:30 raVen

I mostly added for ease of searching for those that aren't familiar with them.  

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo