Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > BlizzCon Tix on Sale
9. Re: BlizzCon Tix on Sale Jun 3, 2010, 01:19 raVen

Jack9 wrote on Jun 3, 2010, 00:32:
Sempai wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 23:39:
Im obviously the extreme minority who thinks this "event" is a ripoff and a complete waste of my nerd time.

My friends and I had the same experiences. We all have been to actual conventions. Some suck, some are awesome. Blizzcon was BORING...25 minutes into it: "ok, that's everything", what are we gonna do for the next day and a half?

I haven't been to a Blizzcon, but I've been to E3, have you been to E3? if so, can you compare?
I spent last year watching the DirectTV webcast. Since my group of friends didn't get tickets in this first batch, I'm starting to think I'll just do that again. I enjoyed the webcast last year, but I was free to stop and pause it and do something else if I wanted.

Did you play the demo stations? -- Did you really see everything in the first little while?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 19, 2010, 23:44 raVen

Anyone spent any serious time with the CS:S beta?
I played it a little. Wow CS:S I remember when I first saw you, you were so pretty! -- Time has not done cs well. It still plays the same; and I still think 1.6 netcode is better. (probably because of the goofy phys objects)

I will say that after playing 5-6 hours of BFBC2 multiplayer today, and then playing CS:S Beta makes me feel like I need glasses.

I only played for about 1/2 hour or so. The achievements didn't seem that interesting to me.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2010, 21:51 raVen

in unrelated news:
Gravity shoots for 9.8m/s/s

News Comments > StarCraft II in July
30. Re: StarCraft II in July May 3, 2010, 23:10 raVen

Paketep wrote on May 3, 2010, 18:51:
StarCraft 2 without LAN support is a no no for me.

I'll keep playing the old one. Not interested in Blizzard's social shit.
Any LAN party without some sort of internet access isn't a real LAN party IMO. I'm pretty sure that the connections are still between the players, but it's started through Battle.net. LAN Games will happen, but they'll appear exactly the same as online except you're all in the same room. I fail to see the problem with online authentication in this manner; and I only expect users that don't wish to pay money to play the game are the majority of people complaining about it.

I'm not talking about subscription fees, I'm talking about the 1 time box copy fee. Feel free to add reason to your complaints.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Bungie's epic fail? May 2, 2010, 18:46 raVen

*Sigh* I'm continuosly reminded how difficult sarcasm can be to convey here at BN.

He's talking about the link: Bungie's Epic Beta Fail. That's why his subject was not in direct reply to yours.
Calling someone nub is a way of calling someone infantile or beginner. (newbie -> newb ~ nub) Usually in a direct response to stupidity.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Bungie's epic fail? May 2, 2010, 18:41 raVen

Wait, people still care about Halo? That franchise killed it's self with Halo2, and a shitty sequel.  

News Comments > More IW Vets Respawn
7. Re: More IW Vets Respawn May 1, 2010, 17:01 raVen

Developers are resilient creatures, If you liked MW / MW2 or other IW games I don't see why you'd say this.

I didn't like MW2 very much. However, I think it's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Or, you could just be pessimist about everything.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Court rules that FCC can't stop Comcast from throttling traffic. Apr 8, 2010, 00:32 raVen

This ruling means that Comcast (or any ISP) can throttle bittorrent (or Youtube, or Steam, or whatever they want) and nothing can be done.

The only thing that can be done is switch providers and vote with your money. I left Comcast the same month they stated they were shaping and that they were adding 'caps'.

I'm fortunate enough to have a local DSL ISP that I can use that isn't the regional duopoly. I pay a bit more but I don't get throttled, and it's supporting an awesome company.

Unfortunately, not everywhere has these choices :(. If you can choose other than Comcast or any provider that starts doing things you don't like or don't agree with, the best thing to do is to leave and let them know exactly why you are leaving. Eventually, if the market demands open internet, they'll have to provide it or die.

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Patch & Editor
1. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Patch & Editor Apr 7, 2010, 12:10 raVen

Glad they are patching it, but still not buying it or trying to play it until that always on DRM is gone. I guess I'll either not play it, or hopefully pick it up when it hits the bargin bin in 5-6 years (I swear launch PS3 games JUST went cheaper)  

News Comments > EA on C&C4 DRM
26. Re: EA on C&C4 DRM Mar 24, 2010, 14:02 raVen

Good to see your time at 1Up is still with you. I've always enjoyed following your blog Jeff. Keep up the good work!  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
4. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Mar 23, 2010, 15:56 raVen

as with every game, new content = patches.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 12, 2010, 23:38 raVen

Lets go ahead and confirm Guitar Hero 11 while we're at it.
When is the market going to confirm it's death?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
57. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:40 raVen

3rd parties are responsible for patching games via Steam, and fixing problems that arise from patches.

I haven't had problems logging into Steam since back when HL2 launched. I'm always logged in, and I log in at work. I honestly think Steam is too successful to ever shut down at this point, but even Valve has come out and said they would release a 'patch' in that event.

If you know you're going on a trip and wont have internet, you probably would have already logged in at some point. I believe it will allow offline mode if you've already logged on with that machine. I do not know specifics.

I think you make sense when it comes to separating the DRM and the client. I personally hate almost all DRM. And I think because the client brings other features and it 'is' the DRM I mind it less.

There are definitely benefits to having a system which is lenient and one that publishers back because it prevents piracy. I think Steam fits this bill: As far as I know it does prevent piracy. I have heard about older games (HL2, CS:S) being pirated, but I haven't kept up on any of that. Mostly because I've paid for those games and don't mind the DRM.

47. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 01:29 raVen

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:14:
Steam's DRM would be horrendous to more customers if it wasn't so easily cracked or if the fanboys weren't so blinded by love that they overlook its failures.
Yet, Steam is one platform where you can choose to (or in your case choose to not) purchase the game on. No matter how you buy ACII on PC you are stuck with broken DRM that you paid for and can't even play the game.*

I happen to be okay with Steam's DRM. In fact I find it very convenient. Please, air your grievances. Apparently you think I'm short-sighted and can't see what is wrong with it. Maybe you'll open my eyes.

Conveniences:
  • No more damn patches. I'm always up to date.

• One login for many games.

• I don't even have to be online after installing. (Offline Mode)

• Friends lists, server lists, tons of other social stuff and free.

• Problems:
  • Heavy use - Launch titles HL2 basically took Steam down for days. I haven't seen anything as bad since, they have learned some good lessons.

• I have to log in to be able to go into offline mode. I haven't tried to do this since near launch of Steam

• * - This could be growing pains of their broken DRM as I stated Steam already went through. But that's not my problem to be honest. It's Ubisoft's.

Please, add your problems to the list, I'd like to hear what I'm apparently not seeing.

21. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:52 raVen

I think retailers should take pc games back again now that they have one time use keys and things.

This would put pressure on assholes publishers or developers to not use such crappy DRM.

Plus, if one use keys are sent back to manufacturer / publisher when the game is returned they can deactivate the key. (Thinking more along the lines of steam)

Ubisoft: Look at Steam, DRM that works and isn't horrendous to the customer.

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
    14. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:00 raVen

Consumers will never hurt because they have more options.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Failure
    22. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 11:30 raVen

just get out of the PC game business.
    I think that's what they're trying to prove to board / shareholders right now.

Break everything, show it's unprofitable and you don't have to do it anymore.

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node
    6. Re: On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node Mar 3, 2010, 18:53 raVen

That might be true if it didn't take place of one of either the teleporter or dispenser. They do mention that whatever they end up doing will not take away either of those as that was what was causing most of the balance and proclaimed 'selfishness' of the Engineer.  

News Comments > More Valve Mac Clues
    2. Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 18:15 raVen

I think they'll do quite well and this might actually be the tip of the iceburg that the mac community (devs and gamers) have needed.

If the OSX platform is viable and steam monthly hardware reports start showing how many macs use steam we could actually see much more dev support getting behind cross platform development. I think it's a great idea, who knows it might eventually lead to a Linux client too -- either way being restricted to windows sucks. I prefer PC input for most gameplay types.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming
    18. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Kick on Connect Fix Coming Mar 3, 2010, 14:58 raVen

I do not have the Med Kit yet, my first game I was able to play in multiplayer said it was the first thing I will unlock.
    I didn't play through beta, and I have entered the 2nd key from Steam.

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo