Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Impulse and GamersGate Refute NPD Figures
4. Re: Impulse and GamersGate Refutes NPD Figures Jul 23, 2010, 21:43 raVen

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 21:12:
As for the whole Steamworks thing... I don't really like the limitations (even though I love Steam myself) as I think the market should be open
It's open. Steamworks doesn't prevent other platforms from selling or installing that game. Stardock/Impulse has gone out of their way to deny any game with Steamworks on their sales platform.

They do this because they don't want to deal with steam in any fashion, and in turn it's screwing them out of potential sales. When I can't find any titles worth purchasing on a platform I tend to not pay any attention to it. (I have purchased Demigod, and other Stardock games btw.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 23, 2010, 16:53 raVen

Pushing the white iPhone to late 2010 means I'll be looking for a different phone.
Any recommendations? People recommended the Nexus one, but Google doesn't sell it anymore. Anyone know of any problems with the Droid X (Now that it can be rooted?)

News Comments > StarCraft II Budget Oopsie, Preorders Soar
29. Re: StarCraft II Budget Oopsie, Preorders Soar Jul 23, 2010, 15:51 raVen

Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 14:24:
When I read that 100 million dollar report, I couldn't image what it had been spent on, and thought they'd struggle to make a profit on it.

I'm sure it will sell well, but I doubt it's going to sell like an RDR or GTA game, which is what'd be needed to make back a hundred mill.

To be honest, 684,000 pre-orders seems rather low. That's all the hardcore SC2 fans. I know that doesn't include the 800 billion Koreans that'll buy it, but it seems low for the US.

Creston

The population of South Korea: 48,607,000

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow
28. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 04:23 raVen

spindoctor wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 19:28:
Fion wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 18:17:
I wouldn't doubt if Bnet 2.0 is exactly the same.

As much experience as Blizzard might have, and as much planning as they will do, a brand new system like BNET which is going to be hit with millions of users at the same time come launch day is most likely going to crack somewhere. It's the nature of complex systems like this, and it is nigh inevitable. What really matters is how long Blizzard takes to stabilize it after the shit hits the fan.

Except this has already been rolled out to WoW & SCII beta.
They are already using Bnet2.0 for authentication and communication in both. I don't expect many hiccups.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2010, 01:41 raVen

I was anti-vista because I had an evga nvidia card that would flake and crash every 3-4 hours or whenever the screensaver would enter sleep mode.

Turned out it was a hardware problem and not Vista. I however vowed to not use it after switching back to xp relieved me of the problems.

Vista was supposed to further isolate video card crashes and problems. It was one of the touted features of the core changes. I was not impressed.

Today I run 7. I have since 7Beta worked on my machine without horrendous video problems. I still refuse to use Vista, but we use 7 at work now. so I'm beyond Vista. There is no real reason other than the experience left me with a terrible taste in my mouth.

(Note: I switched shortly after that experience to ATi. I switch roughly 2-3 gens anyways)

News Comments > OnLive Review
2. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 15:41 raVen

It does work.
It's just not to the level where I'd use it.
That doesn't mean they can't improve it to your 'magic' level.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Phase Two Begins
1. Re: StarCraft II Beta Phase Two Begins Jul 8, 2010, 11:26 raVen

Confirmed! Just logged in.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Patched
10. Re: StarCraft II Beta Patched Jul 8, 2010, 10:37 raVen

Actually, it's probably a new payload of most of it, as they are cleaning up everything else SC2 on your machine (I've heard reports of 10gb installs going to 2gb). Install the new payload and nuke the old crap from previous patches (Copies of older patches to allow easy rollback)  

News Comments > OnLive Latency Evaluation
16. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 02:23 raVen

I tried to play Dirt2 and many other games (demo time is 1/2 hour) using OnLive on my 6mb DSL.

The latency is TERRIBLE, I would say 100-150ms is about right. For driving games that is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like smudged compression everywhere. Nothing is sharp and clear detail like they were saying it would be. (Then again, I do have clinically better than average eyesight.)

I have a year free in the founder program. I'll check back with it in a week or so. Maybe things will have changed. (I'll probably check it out at work at some point too.)

Latency:
When I can click something and almost get to two-onethousand I get terribly irritated, Don't you? I still hate most Unreal engine UI because of this.

News Comments > Blizzard on Real ID
50. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 02:17 raVen

wow, I love this.
Check it out:
"our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." --Blizzard

"posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional" --Blizzard

They say they want us to use what they create; They don't allow use to use it without exposure. Why would we want to use it? There is no direct benefit from using my real name on the internet or I WOULDN'T be posting here with an alias. (or anywhere)

News Comments > DirectX 11 WoW
58. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 5, 2010, 22:25 raVen

Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 15:14:
Yes but you realize that being Dx11 you need a $500 video card to even run Dx11 and frankly they could have put these effects in on a D10 (or even Dx9) which a $100 video card can run WoW wonderfully.
Then you go on to say:
Fion wrote:
Sorry.. I don't buy bottom basement hardware. I only by enthusiast level hardware for my machine. You could probably run WoW on a $50 Dx11 card but if you ever wanted to play anything newer than 6 years old or very low end you'd be shit out of luck.

Why bring up 100$ hardware that plays wow fine if similar hardware in that ballpark will play with DX11. I don't see why you're having such a problem with an upgrade. Do you complain that you can't play Bluray in your DVD Drive? No? because you stick to DVDs?

I'm mostly saying Wow doesn't take super awesome hardware to play. And you'll still be able to play without dx11 as the features brought by it are only cosmetic. (Akin do blu vs dvd) If you don't want them, don't pay for them. Down the road whenever you do purchase a DX11 card because you've found a game that requires or you require it, You'll still be able to go back and play wow with new flashy water and god rays from the sun light source.

Why are you so upset over optional features that realistically you'll have access to eventually if you decide to not purchase a DX11 card in the immediate future?

Excuse me for providing hardware that is cheap that meets your requirements of DX11, and you didn't mention anything about resolution , fillrate or any other criteria for your new DX11 card.

Tomshardware.com cites that one of these lower end (sub $100) DX11 cards plays WoW: Link

I haven't used any of these DX11 cards or even seen them in action. I can't provide how 'beta' software will run on them. If you want to see how well they run look up some reviews. I recommend checking into the 5770 because of it's lower price and still reasonable framerates at 1920x1200. But don't take my word for it, do a google search.

News Comments > DirectX 11 WoW
13. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 5, 2010, 15:31 raVen

400+ for a dx11 card?
You should maybe watch the video card market once in a while:
Newegg.com search for dx11 sorted by price

News Comments > Ubisoft Sale
2. Re: Ubisoft Sale Jun 24, 2010, 10:27 raVen

Step right up here to pay us so you can't play our DRM filled games!

I'll be done with Ubi on any platform until they redact their PC DRM strategy.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2010, 11:14 raVen

re: nintendo online approach
Now you need to type in a 64 character per user hash that can only be used once per session.

/Sarcasm
Hopefully, they actually get a decent online setup, because right now I refuse to use my Wii online other than downloading VC games. (Haven't done that for close to a year anyways)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2010, 15:13 raVen

Blue wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 13:31:
Okay, here:

Awesome, Thanks!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2010, 11:12 raVen

haha! If you have a chance, I'd love to see a picture.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2010, 21:50 raVen

Woo Toy Story 3 released!  

News Comments > PS3 Portal 2
7. Re: PS3 Portal 2 Jun 15, 2010, 17:14 raVen

I wonder if that means you'd log in using your steam account, and possibly only have to buy the DLC once ? (IF they add DLC to Portal 2)
I would be for that.

In fact, this just raises more questions as we have no idea what steamworks on PS3 is purportedly like.

News Comments > PS3 Portal 2
6. Re: PS3 Portal 2 Jun 15, 2010, 17:10 raVen

Hellcinder wrote on Jun 15, 2010, 16:46:
How much money did they throw at him to do a 180 and say that I wonder.
Probably just dealing with Microsoft again. That's all it'd take for me to take a harder look at competitor hardware. (Given Gabe's history)

News Comments > StarCraft II Replay Feature
3. Re: StarCraft II Replay Feature Jun 14, 2010, 11:51 raVen

Move up the release? It comes out next month ffs!  

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo