Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 316 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Brad Wardell Interview
9. Re: Brad Wardell Interview Jan 21, 2011, 11:48 raVen

This may be bad, since Blues is supported by UGO.

But, I liked 1up.com before UGO bought them, in fact I actually trusted what most of those guys said about games. They also usually covered small games that weren't ever talked about by other media.

In the very least they exposed me to more indy/smaller titles that I enjoyed. Since they were bought I rarely buy anything unless it's AAA or on steam.

And I don't read reviews or previews anymore. Unless: It's to see what journalists are saying about games I've worked on... I'll watch Yahtzee but that's usually for laughs. Luckily I have plenty of co-workers that play games, so I get word of mouth reviews based on people that I know and know what they like to play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Bulletstorm PC Demo
27. Re: No Bulletstorm PC Demo Jan 15, 2011, 01:23 raVen

Doesn't matter to me, from the videos I've seen it looks like a cross between PainKiller and GoW (Looks) with the gameplay of Serious Sam and PainKiller. This looks like a blast, especially co-op since I don't care about playing with random strangers on the net anymore.

I Didn't like GoW 2 _that_ much, but I didn't spend much time playing it either. From what I've seen of this game I will probably be buying it on steam day and date even without a demo. If it's delayed from EA being stupid I'll just wait and pick it up when it's available on Steam.

News Comments > Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits
2. Re: Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits Jan 10, 2011, 21:30 raVen

Sounds like a great business plan!  

News Comments > Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month
40. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 21:27 raVen

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 20:21:
I'd guess that probably answers the question on how many of those 11/12 million subscribers are actively playing? As I imagine that the large majority of players will probably have gotten the expansion?
Creston
There are other territories that Cataclysm hasn't been released in yet.
The subscriber count also includes people that just barely bought wow (with or without expansions) and have started the free month. Or they could be dualboxing.

I think that the wow Community is killing wow. People are extremely rude, and now that I don't have anyone to play with anymore, I have no reason to play. (Good thing too, now I can get back to my huge steam/ps3/360 backlog)

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth 2.0 Launches
2. Re: Heroes of Newerth 2.0 Launches Dec 14, 2010, 13:01 raVen

play lol instead, lol = casual (when compared to hon.)

(League of Legends is Free to Play)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 5, 2010, 13:51 raVen

At least they didn't try to conclude video gamers are all goat rapers.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 3, 2010, 00:46 raVen

All the Facebook stats mean: People updated their status on those days. The breakups probably happened days before. Especially related to holidays where people may not have access to Facebook -- less rare, but who wants to update relationship status right after a breakup?

-- pure speculation, I don't have a Facebook account anymore.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2010, 11:57 raVen

Minecraft is awesome, and has sucked up my life the past couple of days  

News Comments > GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated]
71. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 17:42 raVen

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 17:38:
Soo... I don't get what this "publicity stunt" was supposed to do. All I know about GOG now is that they randomly shut down and locked a bunch of people out of their games. That doesn't sound like a service I want to use.

Exactly, I've bought games from them and eventually they appear on Steam.
I don't care about DRM enough to put up with stupid antics like this. Who knows when they'll do it again, shut down for a week for more PR. Screw them, I'm done with bad old games.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 17, 2010, 12:38 raVen

-- THQ defends anti-pre-owned tactics.

Lets reduce the amount of people that play our titles to build less buzz for our upcoming titles, and build less word of mouth from our customer base!

I'm glad I don't work for THQ. They are still digging their grave.

News Comments > TRON: Evolution Trailer
7. Re: TRON: Evolution Trailer Sep 7, 2010, 16:56 raVen

zirik wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 13:17:
am i the only one who gets a headache while watching the original tron movie? there is something with the bright lines they used on the movie that triggers a headache in me. they should release a remastered edition of the original film with updated special effects.
If you're saying to a StarWars 'remastered' edition, I oppose!
I believe the bluray is coming out in November though. I caught it on HDTV last month and it looked pretty good, with the real life scenes being pretty grainy but it wasn't that terrible as the real world scenes were few. (All of the 'computer-world' scenes looked awesome though)

(HAN SHOT FIRST!)

News Comments > Labor Day Legal Briefs
2. Re: Labor Day Legal Briefs Sep 7, 2010, 01:01 raVen

Terrible shaky-cam of the meeting at PAX where he says this: http://news.filefront.com/pax-2010-warren-spector-keynote-video

It's near the end of his talk.

News Comments > LOTRO Head Start This Week
17. Re: LOTRO Head Start This Week Sep 5, 2010, 22:01 raVen

I tried the trial, and was pretty heavy into wow at the time. So I didn't spend too much time playing it. I'm going back to school this semester, and not playing wow until cataclysm comes out. Hopefully I won't feel pressured into playing like I had felt with wow (to get my moneys worth) And hopefully I wont let it detract me from classes  

News Comments > LOTRO Head Start This Week
4. Re: LOTRO Head Start This Week Sep 5, 2010, 17:37 raVen

When I got the email I immediately started downloading the client.
Why didn't they start it at the beginning of this long weekend? ... I COULD BE PLAYING NOW! (hehe)

News Comments > Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders
3. Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders Sep 1, 2010, 01:33 raVen

I played the demo tonight, and I think it's pretty cool. I'll probably pick it up. I wish they would have kept the Japanese localization in too. (The few vocals I heard were in Japanese, from what I saw always referring directly to the text.)  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2010, 09:07 raVen

If it's anything like the current AppleTV it sucks ass.
AppleTV can't play anything unless you pipe it through iTunes. (unhacked)

I'll wait and see, but Apple's media stance doesn't bode well for how I use media.

I'm almost willing to make a bet that it wont support subtitle files or .mkv files.

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
14. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 10, 2010, 23:14 raVen

Compatibility issues are a moot point. Everyone designs cards and software for OpenGL / Direct3D.

Compliant hardware will work with compliant software. Sometimes hardware or software are not compliant.

What Mike Ryder is talking about is being able to work with hardware that has much lower performance than that of the top line hardware. All of said hardware is compatible, they just operate at different tiers of performance. (DirectX10/11 aside)

DirectX10/11 have specific features that are required in hardware (for the most part) in order to be able to make use of the features in your software. If you're trying to have a broad market accessibility you will want to aim for lower end hardware - or the ability to run on lower end hardware. (Scalability)

It's so prehistoric that some games might crash on an ATI 5870 while working smoothly on a 59xx, for example.
This is extremely unlikely. Unless there is a specific driver problem on ATi's side which would make it have problems interfacing with DirectX/3D.
Plus the 59xx is basically two 5870 chips on one board; Even if that weren't the case and it were a different GPU it would still be an unlikely case. (Or someone would have missed a large portion of the testing before the drivers went out. AND that could be updated in a future driver update.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 12:04 raVen

Losing my dad was pretty tough, I can only imagine how you're dealing with it.

Try to stay positive, but don't get frustrated if you can't stay positive all the time. Go with the flow if you know what I mean.

Best of luck to you and your family. I hope you can find peace.

News Comments > More on StarCraft II Preorders
51. Re: More on StarCraft II Preorders Jul 26, 2010, 20:40 raVen

Warcraft I (Orcs and Humans) Launched at $64.99.
Since when is 59.99 new?

News Comments > BlizzCon PPV Tickets on Sale
20. Re: BlizzCon PPV Tickets on Sale Jul 25, 2010, 03:49 raVen

Reminds me of E3 2003 trying to get in to see HL2 premier showing. My brother and I finally made it... to the last showing.  

316 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo