Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for raVen

Real Name raVen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Developer, and Enthusiast gamer.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 24, 2004, 05:12
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 20726

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > MS on Improving GFWL
21. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 15:06 raVen

Razorclaw wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:49:
retail games being released with only steamworks is the worst thing going on on PC right now. it would be nice if microsoft could put more pressure on big publishers to stop this idiocy. or at least make it possible for the consumer to choose a drm system. steamworks and gfwl do pretty much the same thing, lock a serial key to an account, but at least with gfwl you won't have to deal with the clusterfuck that is the steam client.
Almost everyone I know feels exactly the same way about GFWL. Did you intentionally swap steam + GFWL ?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2011, 12:04 raVen

That Rumor better not be true about the 3DS. Otherwise I think i'm nearing the end of buying closed hardware. I already can't write software for it without being an official dev, without an r4 and now there is the threat of Nintendo bricking it?
I'm getting pretty tired of platform holders trying to tell me what I can and can't do with the hardware I purchase. I guess it's time to stop purchasing it and the 50+ games I have for them. Not to mention multiple variations of the hardware I usually end up buying.
PS3 & X360 and Wii are also in the same boat here. iOS is just as restrictive too. Looks like I'm going back to being just a PC gamer soon.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification
16. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:35 raVen

Nope, I had to replace my CD-R drive in order to play the game. I have a long hatred of Ubisoft.  

13. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:11 raVen

Hey, I've been burned more than 2x by these asshats. First game I regretted buying from them was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I bought 2 copies, one for me, and one for my brother and his family.

I couldn't play it for weeks due to DRM, and that was before all of this online auth nonsense. Since then the only games I've played from UBI have been on console, and since this always online DRM push I refuse to even buy their console games in protest.

I honestly don't think there is anything they can do to regain my trust at this point. I have plenty of other games to play and other companies to support anyways.

5. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 19:47 raVen

Too little, too late. Ubisoft can go die in a fire.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
12. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 1, 2011, 22:37 raVen

Epic was the reason the 360 has as much memory as it does. They probably have some insight in the next console cycle.

http://n4g.com/news/12934/epic-fought-for-an-xbox-360-with-512mb-memory

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
8. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 1, 2011, 21:36 raVen

ochentay4 wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 21:24:
I hate this engine. I had stupid issues on almost every game on PC:
I hate how every Epic game has had the worst Menu system ever; especially when you are in higher resolution (Which is why we play on PC)
The mouse is NEVER where you want it to be within 2-3 seconds of moving it.

News Comments > Homefront PC Features
3. Re: Homefront PC Features Mar 1, 2011, 18:30 raVen

Paketep wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 17:27:
LAN play! And true dedis, I'm guessing.

Damn, I want to support this, but I don't want to support THQ's idiotic $10 pass. What to do?

I haven't been following that closely, what do you mean $10 pass? I'm teetering on the brink of purchase of this title.
I did a quick search

Wouldn't a new copy include the $10 pass? (and I'd be buying it on Steam, so isn't it moot for PC?)

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
52. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:48 raVen

Pankin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:53:
Today, id is owned by Zenimax and Valve is totally calling their own shots and innovating and diversifying like a motherfucker.

I just think that's funny.
iD has also diversified, just not in the games market: Armadillo Aerospace

Also I saw this new title on Steam today: B.U.T.T.O.N. (Brutally Unfair Tactics Totally OK Now)
I seriously think there is something to the small console that streams from your pc to your tv. I guess it could just be a better UI for an HTPC + controllers too.

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
22. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 15:03 raVen

"will enable gamers to enjoy Steam and their library of Steam games on more screens throughout the house."
That to me sounds like a little streaming box that you plugin to your network and stream from your PC/Mac/PS3? that has steam on it.

If so, it sounds like OnLive without the terrible latency of the internet since your game is on the local network.

Then again it could just be a UI enhancement for use with your PC when plugged into a TV. But I think the 'on more screens' qualifies more than that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2011, 10:27 raVen

You'd probably like Netflix, Blue. I hated it when it first came out, it was plagued with problems. I have since resubscribed Netflix and I plan on resubbing my Prime. I had paid for it but they gave me a free year for being Student which doesn't count for streaming. We just ordered a Roku box for upstairs, and depending on how well it goes we might end up dropping DirectTV (If only Turner Classic Movies had a 2-5$ roku subscription, we'd probably already drop DirectTV)

If I like the roku I might even drop XBoxLive as Netflix is the only reason I have it, and pick up a 2nd one. The 360 interface is pretty slick; I'm hoping the Roku one is at least in the same ballpark.

With Hulu+, Netflix, and now Prime for roughly $30 on top of internet costs I'd like to be able to drop all other sources of pay tv. We still haven't tried Hulu+, but will probably give it a month or two soon.

Netflix does have quite a few B Movies too, I just wish there was an easy way to compare the content from each provider.

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
21. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 17, 2011, 00:03 raVen

DangerDog wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 14:07:
No PC demo, haven't played it. Watched too many videos of it though, I assume multiplayer will be player hosted games via Games for Windows Live...

Confirmed: Bulletstorm PC box art

And I was looking forward to this game on PC. I think I'll probably pass entirely now.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2011 Announced
3. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Announced Feb 7, 2011, 11:55 raVen

Sadly, the 2011 edition won't feature a finished D3 either.
That may not be true either: leaked schedule

I went last year (2010), and it was interesting. But the people I went with ruined it.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 5, 2011, 00:50 raVen

here's the correct link.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2011, 21:28 raVen

The internet, where everyone connected pays to be connected.

That Huge ISPs article is totally worthless. ISPs pay huge sums for dedicated lines, as do colos. Where is Netflix? In many colos.

They already charge for the pipes at full capacity, now they want even more money because they're being used. I really think that tier 1 peers shouldn't stay peered if they start pulling stupid shit. Same goes for tier2/3 peers. Just like spam; if people are abusing the network, take action (Abusing as in charging stupid fees for obscene reasons.)

In fact, with protocols like BT, I almost wonder why the internet isn't totally peered; everyone buys a line, pay for upkeep or do your own upkeep of your line to your CO, you upgrade it and keep on truckin...

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2011, 20:02 raVen

Part of the reason I liked the DS fat/lite was because you could play any region games on any region console. With 3DS changing that, I don't think I'll be picking one up :(.

Hopefully NGP isn't as region locked; but looking at the past it isn't too bright a picture.

F region locking.

News Comments > Pete Hines Interview
10. Re: Pete Hines Interview Jan 26, 2011, 15:57 raVen

I get a 404 on the first link, was the article pulled?  

News Comments > Brad Wardell Interview
13. Re: Brad Wardell Interview Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 raVen

Yeah, you're right. I must have missed that out of the blue: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/103820/out-of-the-blue  

News Comments > Brad Wardell Interview
9. Re: Brad Wardell Interview Jan 21, 2011, 11:48 raVen

This may be bad, since Blues is supported by UGO.

But, I liked 1up.com before UGO bought them, in fact I actually trusted what most of those guys said about games. They also usually covered small games that weren't ever talked about by other media.

In the very least they exposed me to more indy/smaller titles that I enjoyed. Since they were bought I rarely buy anything unless it's AAA or on steam.

And I don't read reviews or previews anymore. Unless: It's to see what journalists are saying about games I've worked on... I'll watch Yahtzee but that's usually for laughs. Luckily I have plenty of co-workers that play games, so I get word of mouth reviews based on people that I know and know what they like to play.

News Comments > No Bulletstorm PC Demo
27. Re: No Bulletstorm PC Demo Jan 15, 2011, 01:23 raVen

Doesn't matter to me, from the videos I've seen it looks like a cross between PainKiller and GoW (Looks) with the gameplay of Serious Sam and PainKiller. This looks like a blast, especially co-op since I don't care about playing with random strangers on the net anymore.

I Didn't like GoW 2 _that_ much, but I didn't spend much time playing it either. From what I've seen of this game I will probably be buying it on steam day and date even without a demo. If it's delayed from EA being stupid I'll just wait and pick it up when it's available on Steam.

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo