Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13831 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:17 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:57:
mlw wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:45:
Yep, I am afraid of that too. On hearing about all the QTE and auto savepoints, I have cancelled my pre-order.
Why did you even bother preordering the game if you aren't sure about it? Just wait until it is out and read the reviews, player feedback etc., and get a better deal then by preordering.
The "extras" or discount they give you for preordering a game these days hardly ever worth it.

You can get some pretty significant discounts for pre-ordering games at GMG. I typically save at least $20. For Bioshock Infinite, I saved $30 (50% of the total price) and I got free copy of Bioshock 1 and another 2K game. I also used $10 of credit I got for pre-ordering XCOM, so I ended up paying a total of $20 for Bioshock Infinite and will be playing it day one.

Of course, you shouldn't pre-order games unless you've done a fair amount of research on it. My research on TR tells me that game has significantly reduced and dumbed down the puzzle-solving and platforming aspects of the series, which is more than enough to make me not pre-order it. I'll probably pick it up when it's $15 or less.

On a side note, did any of the TR games ever use quick save? I thought they all used checkpoint saves. If the presence of checkpoints offends you, how did you enjoy the previous games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 18:32 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 15:22:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:34:
PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:32:
Fantastic Tombr Raider game, with a pinch of Uncharted.

Excuse me? Wasn't that "Fantastic Uncharted game, with a pinch of Tomb Raider"?

So you've played it already and know it's all gun fights? From what I've seen of the game, there's more to it than just shooting everything that moves.

Personally I think it's about time a TR game has combat in it that didn't feel like an afterthought during development.

This. I am not saying PHJF is wrong, I haven't played it yet either, but for all we know the marketing team wants the mainstream to compare the game to a highly awarded and recognizable franchise like Uncharted and thus focuses on those aspects with the marketing. The full game itself may not be as similar as they are presenting it. That may or may not be a good thing. I mean, I love the Uncharted games but only because they aren't as QTE based as the marketing videos make them out to be. If they were they would be boring.

When I watch the videos of TR I definitely see Uncharted presentation and gameplay elements, but I see elements of many other games as well. I am hoping that doesn't make it into a boring game with a lack of identity, but time will tell I suppose. First game I have pre-ordered in 5 months. Sometimes my "want" of a game to be good just overrides my common sense. You would think I would have learned my lesson about pre-ordering any mainstream title by now. :/

It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:37.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed, Details Next Week
34. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed, Details Next Week Mar 2, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Pirates: yay! Assassin's Creed: boo!

Really wish this was just a pirate game and not an AC game. I can't stand AC's overly streamlined gameplay. It's just too dumbed down to be compelling. The combat, the traversal, the stealth... none of it has any depth or challenge.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 2, 2013, 18:25 Jerykk

If you like Splinter Cell, Hitman: Absolution is well worth the $10. It basically plays like Chaos Theory with a sprinkle of Hitman thrown in. If you're hoping for Blood Money 2, though, you'll be disappointed.

Also, you can get an additional 20% off at Gamefly with the following code: GFDMAR20.

Here's the Gamefly sale schedule for the next week (the 20% off code can be used with any of these):

3/4 to 3/7 (EA sale)
Dead Space 3 - $39.99 (Origin)
Battlefield 3 - $11.99 (Origin)
Battlefield Bad Company 2: The Ultimate Collection - $10.20 (Origin)
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection - $4.99 (GameFly)
Mirror’s Edge - $4.99 (GameFly)
The Saboteur - $4.99 (GameFly)
Alice: The Madness Returns - $4.99 (Origin)
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $4.99 (GameFly)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - $4.99 (GameFly)
Bulletstorm - $4.99 (GameFly)

3/5 - 3/7
LA Noire: The Complete Collection - $7.49 (GameFly)
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition - $9.99 (GameFly)
FEAR 3 - $4.99 (Steam)

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 18:31.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports
29. Re: The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports Mar 2, 2013, 07:15 Jerykk

I think you're misinterpreting their use of the term "neutral." They mean that the game doesn't have a binary morality system and that there are no clear good or evil choices. The choices you make are morally ambiguous. You are still forced to make choices, however, so you can't remain truly neutral.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
3. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 07:11 Jerykk

True, but skill-based platforming was typically required in order to solve most puzzles. From what I've seen and read, the platforming in the new TR is thoroughly streamlined, to the point where it might as well be fully automated. Also, the last three TR games had pretty solid puzzles that didn't just revolve around levers and item hunts.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
1. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 03:36 Jerykk

It would be great if they released free DLC that consisted entirely of large, elaborate tombs with plenty of challenging puzzles and platforming. It would help compensate for the lack thereof in the main game.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots
32. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots Mar 2, 2013, 03:28 Jerykk

The same goes for the place where The Witcher 3 takes place, obviously. So we'll have another open-world game on a white, northern continent.. "shortly" after the release of another successful open-world game that was first in doing something different and going for a northern continent setting. Felt like throwing it out there since nobody else seemed to notice the similarity.

Skyrim didn't really invent white, snowy regions, though. Also, by the time Witcher 3 comes out (2014, most likely), Skyrim will be about 3 years old.

Also, Bloodmoon introduced snowy continents long before Skyrim.

I also found FO3/NV pretty barren. It seems like every open world game wants to do it in a desert, a wasteland or someplace icy.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting from a post-apocalyptic series... irradiated wastelands aren't exactly known for their lush jungles and forests.

Also, most open-world games do not in fact have barren settings. GTA, Prototype, Saint's Row, The Saboteur, Arkham City, Dead Rising and Infamous all take place in dense urban settings. Just Cause 2 has jungles, cities, deserts and snowy mountains. Each Elder Scrolls game has a wide variety of environments and climates.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 03:35.

News Comments > DARK Gameplay Trailer
19. Re: DARK Gameplay Trailer Mar 1, 2013, 00:51 Jerykk

Dishonored had teleportation too. It worked well there because the levels were open-ended and had a lot of verticality. From what I've seen of DARK, its levels seem much more linear and flat. As for UV lights sapping your powers, The Darkness basically did the same thing (albeit with regular light). In Darkness 2, there are enemies that throw flashbangs and shine spotlights on you, which instantly disables your powers.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports
16. Re: The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports Mar 1, 2013, 00:47 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 23:50:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 23:02:
Not sure about the VATS... How does that work with melee??

Other than that, it sounds pretty damn good

Creston

Dude, how long has it been since you played some Fallout? VATS and melee work just fine. In fact it works great! I remember crit'ing the shit out of the Overseer in FO1 with my BOS power glove just punching him in the head through VATS.

I think he meant visually. Having a character aim his melee attacks at specific body parts is difficult. That's why you can only target full bodies in FO3 and NV.

News Comments > DARK Gameplay Trailer
16. Re: DARK Gameplay Trailer Feb 28, 2013, 23:31 Jerykk

There's a mutilated torso with exposed boobs in this video. Deep Silver handling the marketing for this game too?

On a side note, does this game even use shadow-based stealth? Looks like cover-based stealth to me. If you're making a stealth game about vampires called DARK, a shadow-based stealth system would seem appropriate.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed
28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed Feb 28, 2013, 03:06 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 02:58:
J wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 18:46:
In the original Deus Ex stealth was tricker. Even the prod had to be used on the lower spine otherwise it required two charges. Knocking out with a baton required melee upgrades and a hit to the head. Miss for whatever reason and follow through too slowly and you risk a lot of heat on you.

Eh, but the AI was so stupid that you had ample time to line up the right hit. Slight shadow and you were invisible, and they have like no peripheral vision.

The AI in DX:HR was pretty stupid too. I actually tested it pretty extensively. When an NPC is in his idle state, his vision cone is like 90 degrees. You can literally stand right next to him and he won't see you. In addition, the vision cone is attached to the character's root and not his head, so he can actually look at you while you stand next to him and still not see you. Also, NPCs have no vertical awareness when it comes to sound detection. You can be standing on a shelf right next to an NPC, firing your guns repeatedly and he will never ever look up. They also have extremely short memories. They can see you run behind a box and as long as you remain hidden, they'll forget about you and leave.

AI was definitely not a strength of any of the DX games.

Anyway, in addition to AI, they need to address balancing as well. The XP system in DX:HR clearly rewarded certain playstyles over others. If you wanted max XP, you had to play as a stealthy, non-lethal hacker who knocks everyone out and hacks everything, even if he already knows the password or key combo. This is dumb. You shouldn't reward players XP for specific actions. Doing so leads to people doing things they otherwise wouldn't do. You should only reward players for completing missions and exploration, like in the original DX. This ensures that players play how they genuinely want to play.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2013, 03:12.

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
34. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 23:20 Jerykk

Closed Betas wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 20:45:
The only reason they chose steam was for DRM, lets quit the BS...
They could have just skipped the DRM and any fan who would play it would buy it anyway. The company is not the brightest bunch on the planet, they truly don't know how they are starving themselves with their pompous attitude and behavior on their own forums. Basically shitting down their own customers throats thinking their on some mighty high horse, if you ever spend a day there reading anything.. . If it was not for the mass cult following of the zombie apocalypse fans and the simple fact the governments are funding the real work being done, this company would be belly up... Nothing truly impressive has come out, their laving their core focus "infantry combat" for years now... the new technology they think is what is their fanbase is far from it...

Only way Arma 3 will be a success is when they realize they are a sandbox and fix their documentation, help coders code their game and watch the entire world of pc gamers bookshelves have a license and a thrill to boot up

They chose to use Steamworks because Steam is by far the most popular digital distribution service in the world and people like the features that Steamworks provides. Also, there are many people who prefer to have all their games in one place and that place is usually Steam. At this point, not being a Steamworks game actually hurts your sales.

As for BI's success, I think they've done pretty well for themselves. They've been around for over 10 years, longer than most independent studios and have no doubt sold many units of the OFP and ArmA series.

News Comments > PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs
35. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

So a PC game HAS to feature quicksave functionality and CAN'T make you use the Esc button? Please. Quicksave fundamentally undermines the difficulty of games and, as a PC gamer through-and-through, I was GLAD to see Far Cry 3 not use it. As for requiring you to constantly press Esc, that was a design flaw - not a console issue - and a patch was released to address that.

Far Cry 3 was insanely easy and had an abundant amount of checkpoints, so the lack of quick save didn't really matter. However, the importance of quick save depends largely on the type of game. Playing through Hitman: Absolution without any quicksave or even checkpoints was an exercise in tedium. Any game that encourages experimentation benefits from quick save, as people are more likely to take risks and try new things if they won't lose a significant amount of progress by doing so.

As for PC being the lead platform for Watch Dogs, I'm guessing that's just referring to the technical aspects of development. I'm pretty sure the actual gameplay will be designed around the use of gamepads.

28. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:13:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 04:39:
I'm pretty sure ArmA3 isn't going to be a Steam exclusive. It will use Steamworks but still be available for purchase from other digital distributors, just like every other Steamworks game.
So like Jerykk said you will be able to buy the game other places not just Steam but the game uses Steamworks so you will need Steam to run it.

No, he's incorrect. Yes, they will have physical boxes, but the link I posted states quite clearly that Steam will be the only digital distribution system they will be using.

Your link doesn't say that, though. It just says that the game requires Steam, like any Steamworks game does. I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to buy Steam keys for the game from other distributors, like Amazon, GamersGate, GMG, etc.

21. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure ArmA3 isn't going to be a Steam exclusive. It will use Steamworks but still be available for purchase from other digital distributors, just like every other Steamworks game.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 27, 2013, 04:33 Jerykk

Getting Rage or Hunted for free would be a good deal if we didn't have to deal with stupid mail-in rebates. Those things are designed solely to dissuade people from actually using them due to how convoluted a hassle they are and how long you have to wait to actually receive the rebate. I mean, come on. 8-10 weeks for processing? That's at least two months. Not even the government is that inefficient. On top of that, the rebate is delivered in the form of a prepaid card that's only good at Newegg, which is easily the worst way to deliver store credit ever. Why not just give you store credit immediately when you purchase the game? Oh, that's right, they don't actually want you to take the rebate.

I think I'll just wait for Hunted to drop below $5 on Steam.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend Feb 27, 2013, 04:29 Jerykk

PC port has some iffy framerate issues. The engine was designed for 30 FPS, so all the animation, physics, code, etc, tick at 30 FPS. They're using interpolation or some other trick to make the game run at 60+, but it doesn't really feel like 60+ due to the aforementioned issues. I also encountered a bug where everything disappears except the skybox. Looks like they still have some kinks to work out.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3: Reckoning Trailer, Details
7. Re: Mass Effect 3: Reckoning Trailer, Details Feb 27, 2013, 00:01 Jerykk

What's even dumber is that they released the Mass Effect Trilogy bundle but didn't include most of the DLC. They should have waited until all the ME3 DLC was done, then released the Trilogy with all the DLC for all three games. Not sure what they were thinking.  

News Comments > More Games Get the Steam Greenlight
15. Re: More Games Get the Steam Greenlight Feb 26, 2013, 23:06 Jerykk

I think they need to greenlight more than 10 games a month. There are a lot of good games that have yet to be greenlit.  

13831 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo