Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13932 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Minimum Announced
3. Re: Minimum Announced Apr 9, 2013, 23:32 Jerykk

Don't think this art style was the right way to go. It doesn't really look stylized, it just looks like the devs don't have any character or environmental artists.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2013, 03:56 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 01:26:
So why is Journey not out on Steam?

Sony isn't courting Indies, it is luring them in and trapping them. Maybe that will change with the PS4 and finally a proper CPU architecture that means MUCH MUCH easier porting.... we'll see. But as it is now, the broadest of Indy gaming is on PC.

Why would Journey be on Steam? Sony wants to attract indies to their platform, not a competing platform. If Sony starts embracing more indies, I wouldn't be surprised to see more indie PS4-exclusives. Though, that exclusivity would likely be timed, as most indie console games eventually get ported to PC anyway.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 9, 2013, 03:49 Jerykk

So much pessimism for so little reason. Yes, it's a reboot. It's a reboot because 99% of the modern market has never heard of or played any Thief game before. While it would be great for it to be a proper sequel that remains faithful to the original lore, that's not really going to happen. Luckily, lore was not the main appeal of the Thief series. Gameplay was. And from what I've seen and read, the new Thief is still retaining the fundamentals of the series. It's still first-person, it's still about sneaking rather than fighting, stealth is still dependent on light and shadows, different surfaces still give off varying degrees of noise when you walk over them, the focus is still on stealing loot, you can still lean around corners, you can still pick locks and pockets, you can still blow out candles and extinguish torches, you still climb around on ropes and the levels are still large and open-ended.

People act like they're turning it into CoD or something. Yes, combat will be more viable than it was in the previous games, though you won't be able to run and gun like you can in Deus Ex or Dishonored. Yes, there is a "focus" mode that makes the game easier but is completely optional and completely disabled on the highest difficulty. If you enjoy ghosting and stealing all the loot without being detected and without neutralizing anyone, you can still do that.

So what exactly the problem here? Eidos has already proven that they can reboot a classic franchise successfully (see DX:HR, from the same studio making the new Thief). While there will always be some compromises to appeal to a larger audience, as long as the core pillars of the series remain intact, I'll be happy.

News Comments > Battlefield 4/AMD Bundle Plans
18. Re: Battlefield 4/AMD Bundle Plans Apr 8, 2013, 04:46 Jerykk

Also learn your timeline, Steam isn't even 10 years old yet, let alone 10 years behind Origin which is a re-branded EA downloader which has existed since 2006. that's right a whole 2 years behind the 2004 release of Steam. get your facts right.

The problem is that Steam is better than Origin so Origin feels redundant. If Origin were better than Steam, people would be more open to it. Same with Uplay. Granted, Steam has the inherent advantage of being the most popular so most people are already invested in it. I have over a 1000 games on Steam. Many people want all their games in one place, so I can see why anything that splits their library would be unappealing.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
54. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 8, 2013, 03:40 Jerykk

swaaye wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:11:
A new NOLF game would be cool but I couldn't care less about GOG being able to sell oldies. I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release. But I imagine GOG would make some nice money off of this series.

I'd rather have a single, fully patched and modern-OS compatible download instead of having to install a game using multiple CDs, find and install the official patches, find and apply the unofficial patches/tweaks necessary to make it work on Windows 7, etc.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 02:01 Jerykk

That's disappointing to hear. Not much for "powers". That's what I think let down Wolfenstein 2009 for me was the focus on powers. It's kind of important for an FPS to you know... live up to the "shooter" part of the genre.

If the powers require you to aim and fire (as they do in Bioshock), they are effectively the same as guns, only with more interesting results.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 01:13 Jerykk

yuastnav wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 19:00:
Redmask wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 18:02:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:49:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:43:
Shocking.
Shocking how much hype there is about this mediocre game. As with Bioshock a few years ago, the one-eyed is king amongst the blind. Its a sad fact, that a mediocre (not bad, but not THAT good) shooter like Bioshock is indeed the pinnacle of the shooter genre in our days.

Bioshock Infinite isn't really a pure shooter though, it is one of those genre bending games that make traditional comparisons like yours meaningless. To call this game mediocre because the shooting isn't like Quake or something is just wrong. Unlike most games which forget that the gameplay is supposed to be in service to something, Bioshock Infinite propels you through a very compelling story with fantastic characters.

The gameplay on its own is slightly above average but as a total package the game delivers and that's what matters in the end.

But it is a shooter and if the shooting doesn't feel good then it ultimately fails in that respect.
Again, I have not played the game, I just read about it and I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF where he talks a lot about the shooting and just watching the video made me not want to play the game.
About whether the world is beautifully designed or not I do not care much since these things do not interest me, I am not someone who can appreciate visual art that well. So what would interest me would be other things and shooting is definitely one of them and watching that video made me want to play something like Painkiller because this is a game that has really good shooting.
Genre bending or not, it is still, even partly, a shooter and if everything is absolutely fantastic except the shooting then it's not an absolutely fantastic game.

The special powers are the focus of the game, not the guns. TB complains about the lack of ammo types but again, that's what the powers are for. Different powers are more effective against different types of enemies, fulfilling the same role as specialized ammo. He also complains about not having enough salt (basically mana) when going into fights but that's the result of him wasting it to get a few coins from vending machines. The game is pretty generous with the salt potions so if you explore enough, you should almost always go into fights with full (or nearly full) salt.

I think one of the big issues it that most people are playing on Normal difficulty, which is basically a joke. Since the enemies don't really pose much threat to you, it's easy to just run around and rely on your guns all the time, which only helps expose the shortcomings of the gunplay. On the highest difficulty (1999 Mode), you have to use your powers often, resulting in a much deeper understanding of how they work and how to best use them against enemies. This is what makes the combat interesting and what promotes experimentation and creativity during battle.

If you're judging BI's combat based solely on the gunplay, you're missing the primary focus of it.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2013, 01:20.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 17:11 Jerykk

BI isn't the greatest game of all time and it isn't even that good of a shooter, but the game is greater than the sum of its parts. The characters, the story, the amount of detail they put into the environments, the interesting ways you can combo your powers (though only really necessary in 1999 mode)... it all results in a very unique and memorable experience. I think it deserves to sit at the top of the Steam list for now.  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
33. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 19:41 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 19:15:
I don't think you need billion dollar graphics and animation to convey things through animation and graphics. Bastion wasn't a million dollar game and I was very into it's story and world. It mostly had narrated dialogue and cleverly done world design.

I'm not talking about making a Mass Effect-like experience either. That was more into the territory of an interactive movie.

I don't mind a lot of text to convey character depth in terms of feelings, thoughts and moral dilemmas. But I don't want that to be used to convey moments where the action of a character would be better shown via animation.

This is an isometric RPG so there's only so much that can be conveyed through animation. Also, animations take considerably longer to create than a line of text. As with any of the classic CRPGs or their P&P inspirations, you'll have to use your imagination for most of the visuals.

21. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 06:01 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 03:30:
Okay, backed this although I could not get into Planescape Torment. Too much storytelling in words instead of letting the player actually play it. *sigh* But I though this needed to be backed, because I am hoping against hope that inXile might bribe their way into buying the Baldur's Gate rights. I know, I know... But it's just the hope, you know? Baldur's Gate 3 - The Kickstarter. $5,000,000 almost guaranteed.

Project Eternity basically is Baldur's Gate 3.

News Comments > Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated
4. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:27 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:09:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:07:
Wesp's support for broken games that were abandoned by publishers and developers is pretty awesome.

Sanguine Nights looks like it could be interesting but the focus on multiplayer is a bit of a put-off. If multiplayer had been a stretch goal instead of single-player, I'd likely fund it. Also, the reward tier descriptions aren't clear enough. It's nice to want to add some flair and style to them but clarity is what matters most when asking people for money.

Look down. There are images with clear descriptions.

I think they should drop multiplayer altogether. There's no stretch goal high enough for a solid single player campaign.

Those clear descriptions need to be immediately visible in the place where people first look for reward descriptions. It's hard enough getting people's attentions. Requiring them to scroll through the entire page and sort through a ton of images is presenting an unnecessary barrier and only increases the chances of them losing interest and leaving the page.

They may also want to introduce a cheaper tier for getting the game. Like $10 cheap. This project doesn't have any reputable names involved and therefore won't get a lot (if any) media coverage. $10-15 is an impulse buy for most people. $20+ is not.

I'm already predicting this Kickstarter will fall short based on the aforementioned failings. I've already seen it happen time and again with other promising but obscure projects like Fathom, MaK and Blackspace.

6. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:14 Jerykk

The record is for most-funded videogame, not most-funded anything. The Ouya got over $8 million in funding, so they're obviously limiting it to videogame records.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Signal Ops
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Signal Ops Apr 5, 2013, 22:09 Jerykk

Let us know if it's any good. I haven't seen any reviews of it yet but the concept looks intriguing.  

News Comments > Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated
2. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:07 Jerykk

Wesp's support for broken games that were abandoned by publishers and developers is pretty awesome.

Sanguine Nights looks like it could be interesting but the focus on multiplayer is a bit of a put-off. If multiplayer had been a stretch goal instead of single-player, I'd likely fund it. Also, the reward tier descriptions aren't clear enough. It's nice to want to add some flair and style to them but clarity is what matters most when asking people for money.

News Comments > Ride to Hell Lives; Coming This Summer as Two Games
3. Re: Ride to Hell Lives; Coming This Summer as Two Games Apr 5, 2013, 17:49 Jerykk

Thought this was canceled years ago. Cool premise, will have to wait and see how it turns out. Hopefully they have Road Rash-like sections.  

News Comments > Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team
12. Re: Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team Apr 5, 2013, 04:21 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure they'll reach $4 million. With the Paypal pledges, they're now at $3.9 million with 15 hours to go.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Apr 5, 2013, 01:39 Jerykk

Hey, no taffin' around!

If the RPS preview is accurate, there literally won't be any taffin' because the classic Thief slang has been removed. Also disappointed to hear about the third-person cam for some actions. That always irritated me in DX:HR and it will no doubt irritate me in Thief.

News Comments > Remember Me Trailer, Screenshots, and PC Specs
1. Re: Remember Me Trailer, Screenshots, and PC Specs Apr 5, 2013, 01:37 Jerykk

Kind of looking forward to this. Gameplay seems alright but I'm a sucker for cyberpunk.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Apr 4, 2013, 16:37 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 15:16:
Problem with tomb raider is that the plot does not mesh well with a gameplay. Laura does not want to kill a deer for food, has a problem with violence against humans, and the next scene she's doing brutal executions as if it's gear of war. Makes no sense.

Cognitive dissonance is the least of the game's problems. The absence of challenging platforming and puzzle-solving is the biggest issue, particularly since those were the two pillars upon which the series was built.

News Comments > Activision Has King's Quest Plans?
15. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 23:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 08:44:
Golwar wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 07:53:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 04:55:
... why bother with such old crap only a few adventure fans from yesterday might be interested in?

I can tell you why: Because making a new Kings Quest is probably one of the most cost-effective ways to improve their reputation.
All that is required, is that Activision actually cares about its reputation.

Fast Company just picked them as one of the 40 most innovative companies, and their stock has been doing well. When EA melted down every article mentioned how well Activision is doing.

I don't think they have concerns over their reputation.

*snort*

How is Activision even remotely innovative? They are the most conservative, risk-averse publisher out there. Seriously, when was the last time they released an original IP? They just pump out CoD sequels, licensed games and Blizzard games.

Anywhay, Activision isn't going to do anything with the King's Quest franchise unless it's a mobile and/or Facebook game. Even that's probably more risk than they're willing to take.

13932 Comments. 697 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo