Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13947 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell
34. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 24, 2013, 04:54 Jerykk

Wait, you complain that blink makes the game too easy but then say that it's the only thing that makes the game interesting..? You can't have it both ways. Blink is a teleportation ability. Teleportation, by it's very nature, isn't fair and gives you a pretty distinct advantage. In Dishonored, it lets you move about environments very quickly and reach areas that NPCs cannot. This is satisfying but obviously unfair to the NPCs. I'm not sure how you would resolve this because the ability's most appealing benefits are also the most unbalanced. If you want a challenge, don't abuse unbalanced mechanics. And please stop with the nonsense about the most interesting abilities only being combat-centric. That's bullshit. Blink, Bend Time and Possession are the most interesting abilities in the game and they are all very useful for stealthy players. And if you want a "visceral" experience, why are you trying to be stealthy? Stealth is slow and methodical. It's the exact opposite of visceral.

As I said before, stealth has always been a matter of self-restraint. In every Splinter Cell, shooting everyone has always been a viable approach if your aim is good enough. In every Hitman, shooting everyone has always been a viable approach because the combat AI has always been terrible. Newer games make combat even easier, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that combat was perfectly viable in the previous games too.

If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. If you don't, don't. If you want to play stealthy but the game forces you into combat (like in Conviction or DX:HR), then you have valid grounds for complaint. Otherwise, you're just being silly.

For what it's worth, I ghosted my way through Absolution on the highest difficulty and I only had to wear a disguise in two missions. Trust me when I say that wearing disguises makes the game significantly easier, even if they are severely nerfed compared to the previous games.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2013, 05:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anno Online Closed Beta
3. Re: Anno Online Closed Beta Apr 24, 2013, 04:35 Jerykk

F2P doesn't have to have inherently exploitative monetization schemes. DOTA2, for example, only charges you for cosmetic items that have no impact on gameplay. There are no XP Boosters because there's no grinding and nothing to unlock. There's also no bullshit currency system that forces you to spend more than you need to.  

31. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 24, 2013, 00:03 Jerykk

siapnar wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:12:
Speaking of stealth and simplicity, the new Hitman game's AI is pathetic. I played some of it on expert and had baddies standing over bodies and saying "what happened here" or something like that, then BAM they're dead.. fiber wire dead.
Then their pals show up and do pretty much the same thing.

And even when they were aware of my presence, they all bundled up together and missed shooting at me while I popped heads.
On a couple occasions they just kept firing into a wall 12 feet from me.

If I hadn't killed anyone but someone was confronting me, they wouldn't fire upon me unless I shot them, even if I had unholstered my gun and aimed it at their head.
In one instance the head of security (it was evident) caught me crouching behind him with a knife and said "that's not a toy you're holding, you know".
I proceeded to put it into his face. Fuckin idiot.

I was really surprised at how shitty the AI is.

On a positive note, the graphics were gorgeous, level design pretty sharp and ragdolls much improved from the ridiculous ones of the past games.

But seriously, WHEN are developers going to put effort into AI???
Graphics now are good enough for christ's sake

Absolution's AI did have some problems but it was impressive in many ways. For example, if you shoot a bullet near an enemy's head, he'll recognize that a bullet just whizzed past his head and react appropriately instead of just turning around and staring at the bullet hole. Also, when a group of NPCs hear a suspicious noise, the one closest to the noise will go over and investigate while the others hold their ground. Of course, there were some arbitrary limitations to this. Thrown objects could only distract two NPCs at a time, even if more than two were within the sound radius. Bullet impacts could distract three. Explosions would distract everyone and send them into a permanent alert state with random patrols.

Absolution's AI was by no means perfect but it was definitely a step up from most other games. Giving AI actual memories and a way to understand context is the next big step. NOLF2 had some of this, with NPCs noticing when things weren't in their default state, like doors being left open or lights being turned on/off. I think Chaos Theory had some of that too, with NPCs noticing broken locks and such. Instead of focusing on making stealth games more visceral and cinematic, they should focus on making NPCs smarter.

Stealth doesn't have to mean no combat. Rainbow 6(Ravenshield and before) was all about stealth... until you had to execute your carefully orchestrated plan to complete the mission. You spent most of the time tactically and stealthily advancing to good positions so you could even attempt to beat the level.

As far as ghost, you can ghost the vast majority of Metal Gear Solid, but there are certain combats you must encounter, though you can finish them by non-lethal means. I would call MGS a ghost capable game, regardless.

The R6 games mainly required stealth because if alarms were sounded, hostages would be killed or bombs would explode. As such, getting into a firefight usually resulted in mission failure. The combat was limited to quickly and quietly dispatching enemies before they could fire a shot.

As for MGS, I assume you're talking about the first PSX one. You could ghost through most of that, except for the boss fights and Meryl rescue sequence. The later games had more unavoidable confrontations and action sequences.

The most retardedly simplified and easy "stealth" game of the last few years gotta be the over-credited Dishonored.

"Huh who's that?"
*blink*
"Oh guess I'm just seeing things haha! :D"

Don't use blink? There's only one section in the entire game that requires blink. If you think it's overpowered, don't use it. Stealth has always been about self-restraint. Even in Thief, it's not hard to incapacitate every guard you see. That said, if you try to ghost your way through Dishonored and steal every piece of loot, the challenge feels sufficient on the highest difficulty (which gives the AI faster detection times). If you played through Dishonored on normal difficulty, incapacitated every guard you saw and used blink all the time, you really aren't in any position to complain about difficulty.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2013, 00:14.

21. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 23, 2013, 15:55 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:05:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:31:
combat should never be a viable option in any stealth game

And that's why I hate stealth games. I like screwing up and having that "holy crap holy crap holy crap" adrenaline chaos of blowing off heads and running for some ductwork and praying that the shots I'm firing land and they shots they aren't don't.

And then I get annoyed that I can just hide in a duct and wait. In better games I can't, so I pop out of the duct on the opposite side of the room and resume taking people out.

But I hate most stealth games. They always feel more like quicksave adventures than other games, and most stealth games are less about doing things right and more about doing them how the level designer hoped you would. Sure, you can go through a level a dozen ways, but a dozen ways that were programmed. This elevator works but that doesn't. Stuff like that. Thief games didn't do this, but man, the Splinter Cell and Hitman games I played certainly did.

The levels in Thief are just as designed as the levels in SC and Hitman, though I guess it depends on which iterations you played. SC: Chaos Theory and Hitman: Blood Money had the most open-ended levels of their respective series.

To me, the appeal of stealth games is perfectionism. Figuring out how to get through a level undetected and leaving no trace behind is tremendously satisfying if the levels are open-ended and AI reactive enough. It essentially becomes a puzzle game that requires a deep understanding of level layouts and AI systems. If I'm detected, I consider that a fail state, even if I'm technically able to recover and progress. Engaging in combat isn't even an option in my mind. If I wanted to fight, I'd play an action game.

14. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 23, 2013, 12:31 Jerykk

Mark & Execute is terrible and combat should never be a viable option in any stealth game but these days, I'll take what I can get. As long as they allow you to properly ghost your way through levels (no detections, no violence), I'll be happy. Based on what I've seen, it already looks better than Conviction in that regard, as Conviction was clearly designed with the assumption that you'd be killing everyone.

Also, publishers/developers, for the love of god, please stop misusing the term "ghost." It does not just mean "non-lethal." It means "non-violent." The difference between killing someone and knocking them out is pure semantics. The difference between neutralizing someone and avoiding them entirely is not.

News Comments > More THQ IP Sold
20. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 01:55 Jerykk

It's true that Nordic has been a better publisher than Jowood thus far. We'll have to see how polished Deadfall is before declaring them redeemed.

In any case, I highly doubt they'll do anything with these IPs. They simply lack the money to fund original AAA games. I suspect they just bought the IPs so they could milk sales of the existing games and possibly resell the rights at a profit if interest ever peaks.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
64. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

That list could also include Xbox Live and PSN. I'm willing to believe they will release the old games on modern digital services (although I don't trust DuvalMagic as far as he can be thrown) but I struggle to see a future iteration that doesn't include consoles in some way.

Porting a PC RTS to console doesn't make any sense. The genre is a proven failure on consoles and if you want to have any chance of succeeding, you have to build the game from the ground up for consoles. Even then, you'll likely fail unless you have a popular console IP attached (like Halo Wars).

We're more likely to see new Homeworld games on mobile platforms instead of consoles.

News Comments > More THQ IP Sold
15. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 23:01 Jerykk

Isn't Nordic just a rebranded Jowood? If so, that doesn't bode well for any of those franchises.

As for Homeworld, I still have no idea why Sega didn't buy that along with Relic. If they want to dominate the PC strategy space (aside from Blizzard), it seems like that would have been a no-brainer.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 21, 2013, 18:31 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 15:16:
nin wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 14:47:
So. Steam's Top 10 list. We meet again. You seem to have forgotten Skyrim, this time. Slowly, my plan comes to fruition!

Yep, only 20 more months until xmas 2014 sale...you showed them!

If it indeed takes that long, so be it. But I suspect a GMG or other 3rd party site sale long before that. Plenty of time to play through various games I 'need' to finish, shoot down more choppers with my tank and RPG in BF3, and install/play some stuff from the last round of 5-10 dollar sales.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and ruining people's K/D ratios in BF3 seem to be taking up my gaming time these days though.

How much do you intend to spend on Skyrim? $5? If so, you'll likely have to wait a while. It was $20 last week on DLGamer and I don't expect for it go any lower than that this year.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 21, 2013, 00:04 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 14:46:
Ironic that a consolized, third-person shooter is made by a company called "Old School Games". No buy. Not even interested.

You realize that third-person shooters aren't inherently consolized, right? Max Payne 1 & 2 were designed for PC and were both third-person. Same with MDK. The Tribes games had both first and third-person cameras. Same with the ArmA games.

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
49. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 05:56 Jerykk

I'm surprised that people are so angry that this isn't a Fallout 4 announcement. For one, everybody knows that there's going to be another Fallout game. It's an inevitability given the success of the last two games. Secondly, it's hard to get excited about another Bethesda Fallout when Obsidian's Fallout was so much better. If Bethesda announced that Obsidian was going to make the next Fallout, that would be a good reason to get excited.

If this man knows how to write horror, he has yet to show it in my book.

"Write" survival horror? Surely you mean "design" survival horror. This is a game we're talking about, not a book or film. Survival horror doesn't need good writing. It just needs good atmosphere and the ability to make players feel vulnerable and uneasy. Gameplay first, writing second.

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
47. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 04:20 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:31:
Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:47:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:26:
Lame. Playing off the goodwill created by other Bethesda titles to announce something unrelated. They got their publicity, but they pissed off a lot of people too.

I didn't really follow this stuff much, what did they do?

Just the whole stupid teaser vids they released over the past few days without saying explicitly what it was for. Lots of people were speculating about the next Fallout, which has yet to be announced. Lots of people are interested in another Fallout, or even another Wolfenstein. No one is really interested in this, but they used interest in those unannounced titles to announce this.

That's a bit a generalization. I can think of many people who don't care about Wolfenstein. I can also think of a lot of people who do care about a new survival horror game from the guy who created Resident Evil.

News Comments > Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing
12. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 19, 2013, 01:51 Jerykk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 23:28:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 22:40:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 21:03:
It's a new survival horror game. Next.

You mean, "awesome"? Because it's not like survival horror is a common genre these days, especially amongst big publishers. I'm certainly interested in this.

No, I'm pretty sure he just meant "next". Because it is exactly like there are many survival horror games. In fact, there are 17 of the fuckers either already released or to be released between last quarter and this year.

Yes, an absolute dearth of an already tired genre. Give the dead some rest and come up with something new and interesting.

That site is extremely flexible with the term "survival horror." Dead Space 3, Resident Evil 6, Lucius, Metro Last Light, Dark, Dead Island Riptide, Doom 3, Silent Hill: Book of Memories and The Last of Us are not survival horror. If the gameplay revolves around killing stuff, it isn't a survival horror game.

It's Next like I don't hang on teases. There will be plenty of info of the game prior to release that I don't have to get excited about a announcement of an upcoming announcement. Are we 12?

I guess I misinterpreted your statement. I thought you said "Next" as a dismissal of survival horror games in general.

News Comments > Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing
6. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 18, 2013, 22:40 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 21:03:
It's a new survival horror game. Next.

You mean, "awesome"? Because it's not like survival horror is a common genre these days, especially amongst big publishers. I'm certainly interested in this.

News Comments > Deadpool Coming to Steam in June
6. Re: Deadpool Coming to Steam in June Apr 17, 2013, 23:33 Jerykk

Can't say I'm too excited about this. I like Deadpool but the game just doesn't look very good. Will likely be yet another generic superhero beat-em-up. Also, the texture work is pretty awful. This, for example:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/16/1366236675-2.jpg

Looks like textures from PS2 game.

News Comments > Mars War Logs Trailer
4. Re: Mars War Logs Trailer Apr 17, 2013, 23:31 Jerykk

Has potential. Will have to wait and see how well the RPG elements are implemented and how long the game actually is.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 17, 2013, 23:14 Jerykk

GamesTap is selling Tomb Raider for $25. Cheapest I've seen yet.

http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/Tomb-Raider-2582-14.html

I had never ordered from GamesTap before but didn't have any problems doing so. They gave me a key immediately, though they listed it as a Multiplayer key instead of a Steam key. In any case, it activated fine on Steam.

News Comments > TimeGate Loses Section 8 Appeal
5. Re: TimeGate Loses Section 8 Appeal Apr 17, 2013, 23:11 Jerykk

Ouch. Not sure how TimeGate will recover from this. Their reputation has been thoroughly ruined by Colonial Marines, they had a big project cancelled and they're currently working on a F2P shooter that will most likely fail. Now they owe $7 million.  

News Comments > Bethesda Tease
8. Re: Bethesda Tease Apr 16, 2013, 16:45 Jerykk

It's pretty obviously the RAGE RPG we've all been waiting for.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
57. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 16, 2013, 16:41 Jerykk

I'd be happy if they just stuck to Elder Scrolls and had Obsidian make all the Fallout games.  

13947 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo