Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13820 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
1. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 5, 2013, 23:02 Jerykk

Looking good. I'm guessing you'll be able to pull the camera out more. Being stuck that zoomed in would be annoying.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Thief
3. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 22:59 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 22:28:
I don't think this game can work in todays gaming industry, too many people expect straight line designs with 'moral quandaries' and forced combat sections. I would love to be more optimistic but does anyone really see them giving this wide open levels and a stealth first approach to the design?

Yes? Dishonored and DX:HR both featured open-ended levels and viable stealth playstyles. In fact, playing stealthy gave you more XP than combat did in DX:HR.

Make no mistake, I'm sure that they'll make combat more viable in this new Thief than it was in the previous games. That's a given. However, as long as the stealth gameplay is fleshed out and compelling, I'm fine with that.

It always makes me chuckle when people complain about combat being viable in a hybrid action/stealth game. Just because it's an option doesn't mean you have to do it. And yes, combat is always easier than stealth but again, if you enjoy stealth, then just avoid combat. Play the way you want to play. If you lack the discipline to avoid taking the path of least resistance, you only have yourself to blame.

News Comments > TimeGate Layoffs
18. Re: TimeGate Layoffs Mar 5, 2013, 16:14 Jerykk

Gadzooks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:37:
I dont know. I often feel bad when studios have to let go of their devs.

But in this case, it seems justified. Chances are, the ones they are getting rid of are the ones that shouldnt be developing games in the first place.

Not everyone can be a good developer, jobs shouldnt keep people who cant do their jobs well, just for the sake of keeping them employed. While Gearbox and Sega should both share some of the blame for ACM's failure, its clear that more than one person at Timegate has no clue how to program at a level needed for the AAA game industry.

They're being laid off because a publisher cancelled one of their projects and they can't afford to pay 25 employees to sit around and do nothing. It has nothing to do with skill or talent. The people working on the cancelled project now have nothing to work on.

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
3. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:30 Jerykk

The chances of this being a pure stealth game are slim to none. It'll most definitely make combat a more viable option than it was in the previous games.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details
31. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 23:23 Jerykk

Sigh. This sounds like a great pirate game but if it retains the traditional AC gameplay mechanics for combat, traversal and stealth, it's all for naught. Can't they just separate this from AC entirely and make it a new IP or something?

AC Combat: Hold Block and press Counter when enemies attack you one at a time. Success!
AC Stealth: Walk slowly and stand in groups of people. Success!
AC Traversal: Hold down a couple of buttons and look in the direction you want to run/climb/hop/jump/swing. Success!

Ugh. People like to make fun of Bioware for the whole "Press A to win" thing but really, AC epitomizes it in every respect.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 23:31.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Patch Brings Base Resets
6. Re: Far Cry 3 Patch Brings Base Resets Mar 4, 2013, 23:10 Jerykk

Don't really see the point of resetting all the outposts. Yay, you get to do the same thing all over again! Instead of this, they should have just made the outposts significantly harder to take over in the first place.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details
3. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 12:26 Jerykk

Love the setting, hate the gameplay. Same case with every AC game. They really need to slow down and stop pumping out sequels every year.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:57 Jerykk

As for the second guy, you can be both good and evil in a single playthrough. That's how I played my main character. You can get the Gray Fox mask without many evil deeds (at least that are known), after which you can live a double life. Honestly I thought the ability to do that, coupled with the Dark Brotherhood quest-line (once you had the mask), was perhaps the best "RPGish" fun I've ever had.

I think we have very different definitions of "RPG." Being able to be everything to everyone is the exact opposite of role-playing. Morrowind was much more of an RPG than both Oblivion and Skyrim, since ascending the ranks of each guild had skill prerequisites. Becoming the grandmaster of all the guilds was pretty much impossible if you played the game naturally and didn't grind the skills you otherwise wouldn't use. Also, you had to choose between one of the three main story factions (Telvanni, Hlaalu and Redoran). You couldn't join all three. The fact that the combat and magic skills had chance-to-hit/cast also meant you needed to specialize more, since low-level skills were essentially useless. The result? The game was much easier if you chose a specific role and stuck to it. You know, actual role-playing. Conversely, in Skyrim and Oblivion, you can do everything with ease and become the grandmaster of every guild even if your skills don't match it. Being a master fighter assassin thief battlemage healer isn't role-playing.

Isn't it just Shank 3?

Not at all. MotN is a stealth game. A great stealth game. Not only does it accommodate multiple playstyles but it clearly conveys the game's various systems. For example, when you throw an object, you will see the exact trajectory, impact point and sound radius before you even throw it. Enemies within the sound radius will even be highlighted. The game also shows you the vision cones for all enemies. Basically, it takes the guesswork out the equation and lets you focus on planning and execution instead.

MotN is definitely worth picking up, even if you generally don't like stealth games. It resolves the lack of transparency that many people dislike about the genre.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 03:09.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:07 Jerykk

PropheT wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 23:56:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 18:32:
It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

Out of curiousity, what was the last great Tomb Raider game, and why?

I get the impression that if they'd kept making more of the same there'd be a big collective "meh" going around, but instead there's people whining that it's different than a series practically everyone was bored with (but who are now suddenly huge fans of it). The combat was a fairly significant part of the other TR games, too, and I disagree that people played them just because they were really fans of pushing blocks about.

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing. Given that current technology allows for nothing much newer than align the blocks, re-order the runes, direct the ray of light, or raise/lower the water puzzles, that doesn't even sound fun. When was the last time you saw a really original puzzle in a video game other than Portal and what its gun allows, and why would you want an entire game made out of them?

The last great TR was Anniversary, though Underworld was pretty good too. They both had some really great level design and puzzles. Lots of huge, complex rooms where you had to figure out where to go, how to get there and then have the skill to actually pull it off. The greater the difficulty, the more interesting the challenge. Overcoming these challenges required both intelligence and dexterity and provided a great sense of accomplishment. That is the core appeal of the franchise and why millions of fans enjoyed it. Said fans would be happy about a new TR that improves and expands upon on the core strengths of the series, as all sequels or reboots should do. Taking away what fans loved about the series is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Out of curiosity, what was the last TR you played? What was the last TR you enjoyed? Do you even like puzzle-platformers aside from Portal?

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing.

Do you think Portal 3 would be great if they significantly reduced the amount of puzzles and platforming and put a far greater emphasis on shooting dudes? If not, you should understand why TR fans take issue with the new game. If you still don't understand, imagine that a sequel to your favorite game is released. Now imagine that the sequel removes and/or dumbs down everything you enjoyed about the first game.

Also, for what it's worth, Underworld sold over a million units, so obviously there are still people who enjoy the traditional TR formula.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:17 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:57:
mlw wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:45:
Yep, I am afraid of that too. On hearing about all the QTE and auto savepoints, I have cancelled my pre-order.
Why did you even bother preordering the game if you aren't sure about it? Just wait until it is out and read the reviews, player feedback etc., and get a better deal then by preordering.
The "extras" or discount they give you for preordering a game these days hardly ever worth it.

You can get some pretty significant discounts for pre-ordering games at GMG. I typically save at least $20. For Bioshock Infinite, I saved $30 (50% of the total price) and I got free copy of Bioshock 1 and another 2K game. I also used $10 of credit I got for pre-ordering XCOM, so I ended up paying a total of $20 for Bioshock Infinite and will be playing it day one.

Of course, you shouldn't pre-order games unless you've done a fair amount of research on it. My research on TR tells me that game has significantly reduced and dumbed down the puzzle-solving and platforming aspects of the series, which is more than enough to make me not pre-order it. I'll probably pick it up when it's $15 or less.

On a side note, did any of the TR games ever use quick save? I thought they all used checkpoint saves. If the presence of checkpoints offends you, how did you enjoy the previous games?

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 18:32 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 15:22:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:34:
PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:32:
Fantastic Tombr Raider game, with a pinch of Uncharted.

Excuse me? Wasn't that "Fantastic Uncharted game, with a pinch of Tomb Raider"?

So you've played it already and know it's all gun fights? From what I've seen of the game, there's more to it than just shooting everything that moves.

Personally I think it's about time a TR game has combat in it that didn't feel like an afterthought during development.

This. I am not saying PHJF is wrong, I haven't played it yet either, but for all we know the marketing team wants the mainstream to compare the game to a highly awarded and recognizable franchise like Uncharted and thus focuses on those aspects with the marketing. The full game itself may not be as similar as they are presenting it. That may or may not be a good thing. I mean, I love the Uncharted games but only because they aren't as QTE based as the marketing videos make them out to be. If they were they would be boring.

When I watch the videos of TR I definitely see Uncharted presentation and gameplay elements, but I see elements of many other games as well. I am hoping that doesn't make it into a boring game with a lack of identity, but time will tell I suppose. First game I have pre-ordered in 5 months. Sometimes my "want" of a game to be good just overrides my common sense. You would think I would have learned my lesson about pre-ordering any mainstream title by now. :/

It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:37.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed, Details Next Week
34. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed, Details Next Week Mar 2, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Pirates: yay! Assassin's Creed: boo!

Really wish this was just a pirate game and not an AC game. I can't stand AC's overly streamlined gameplay. It's just too dumbed down to be compelling. The combat, the traversal, the stealth... none of it has any depth or challenge.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 2, 2013, 18:25 Jerykk

If you like Splinter Cell, Hitman: Absolution is well worth the $10. It basically plays like Chaos Theory with a sprinkle of Hitman thrown in. If you're hoping for Blood Money 2, though, you'll be disappointed.

Also, you can get an additional 20% off at Gamefly with the following code: GFDMAR20.

Here's the Gamefly sale schedule for the next week (the 20% off code can be used with any of these):

3/4 to 3/7 (EA sale)
Dead Space 3 - $39.99 (Origin)
Battlefield 3 - $11.99 (Origin)
Battlefield Bad Company 2: The Ultimate Collection - $10.20 (Origin)
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection - $4.99 (GameFly)
Mirror’s Edge - $4.99 (GameFly)
The Saboteur - $4.99 (GameFly)
Alice: The Madness Returns - $4.99 (Origin)
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $4.99 (GameFly)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - $4.99 (GameFly)
Bulletstorm - $4.99 (GameFly)

3/5 - 3/7
LA Noire: The Complete Collection - $7.49 (GameFly)
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition - $9.99 (GameFly)
FEAR 3 - $4.99 (Steam)

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 18:31.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports
29. Re: The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports Mar 2, 2013, 07:15 Jerykk

I think you're misinterpreting their use of the term "neutral." They mean that the game doesn't have a binary morality system and that there are no clear good or evil choices. The choices you make are morally ambiguous. You are still forced to make choices, however, so you can't remain truly neutral.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
3. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 07:11 Jerykk

True, but skill-based platforming was typically required in order to solve most puzzles. From what I've seen and read, the platforming in the new TR is thoroughly streamlined, to the point where it might as well be fully automated. Also, the last three TR games had pretty solid puzzles that didn't just revolve around levers and item hunts.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
1. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 03:36 Jerykk

It would be great if they released free DLC that consisted entirely of large, elaborate tombs with plenty of challenging puzzles and platforming. It would help compensate for the lack thereof in the main game.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots
32. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots Mar 2, 2013, 03:28 Jerykk

The same goes for the place where The Witcher 3 takes place, obviously. So we'll have another open-world game on a white, northern continent.. "shortly" after the release of another successful open-world game that was first in doing something different and going for a northern continent setting. Felt like throwing it out there since nobody else seemed to notice the similarity.

Skyrim didn't really invent white, snowy regions, though. Also, by the time Witcher 3 comes out (2014, most likely), Skyrim will be about 3 years old.

Also, Bloodmoon introduced snowy continents long before Skyrim.

I also found FO3/NV pretty barren. It seems like every open world game wants to do it in a desert, a wasteland or someplace icy.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting from a post-apocalyptic series... irradiated wastelands aren't exactly known for their lush jungles and forests.

Also, most open-world games do not in fact have barren settings. GTA, Prototype, Saint's Row, The Saboteur, Arkham City, Dead Rising and Infamous all take place in dense urban settings. Just Cause 2 has jungles, cities, deserts and snowy mountains. Each Elder Scrolls game has a wide variety of environments and climates.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 03:35.

News Comments > DARK Gameplay Trailer
19. Re: DARK Gameplay Trailer Mar 1, 2013, 00:51 Jerykk

Dishonored had teleportation too. It worked well there because the levels were open-ended and had a lot of verticality. From what I've seen of DARK, its levels seem much more linear and flat. As for UV lights sapping your powers, The Darkness basically did the same thing (albeit with regular light). In Darkness 2, there are enemies that throw flashbangs and shine spotlights on you, which instantly disables your powers.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports
16. Re: The Witcher 3 Details, Including Save Imports Mar 1, 2013, 00:47 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 23:50:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 23:02:
Not sure about the VATS... How does that work with melee??

Other than that, it sounds pretty damn good

Creston

Dude, how long has it been since you played some Fallout? VATS and melee work just fine. In fact it works great! I remember crit'ing the shit out of the Overseer in FO1 with my BOS power glove just punching him in the head through VATS.

I think he meant visually. Having a character aim his melee attacks at specific body parts is difficult. That's why you can only target full bodies in FO3 and NV.

News Comments > DARK Gameplay Trailer
16. Re: DARK Gameplay Trailer Feb 28, 2013, 23:31 Jerykk

There's a mutilated torso with exposed boobs in this video. Deep Silver handling the marketing for this game too?

On a side note, does this game even use shadow-based stealth? Looks like cover-based stealth to me. If you're making a stealth game about vampires called DARK, a shadow-based stealth system would seem appropriate.

13820 Comments. 691 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo