Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13820 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Day Z Video
13. Re: Day Z Video Mar 12, 2013, 04:27 Jerykk

Really hope they add some way to manipulate the environment, like fortifying a building or creating barricades. I could imagine a coordinated group working to clear out a town and then secure it as a trading outpost and safezone.

They also need to give people a good reason not to shoot each other on sight. Currently, it's riskier to work with strangers because they're likely to just shoot you in the back. Maybe they should add some sort of skill/class system with leveling, so people are more valuable alive than dead. It would also create a greater investment in your own character so you're less inclined to act aggressively.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
15. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 12, 2013, 01:38 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:29:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:07:
Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 20:44:
They have a point, though, as much as I don't like admitting it. Today, my PC is vastly more powerful than the hardware in the PS4. And yet, come launch time, all of my games will step up to PS4/Xbox 720 image quality and I suspect my PC will struggle to play games anything close to 60 FPS at 1080P.

The "next-gen" consoles won't play 1080p at 60fps either,

People keep saying this.
I don't think they understand how meaningless it is.

Won't play what at 1080p and 60fps? Anything? The best games? Some games? All games?

What? Why even bother having this conversation? People keep talking about how the consoles will or will not run at that, and then claiming their PCs can. If we're not talking about something specific than it's meaningless. Again, I can easily write a piece of software right now that the PS3 can run at 1080p and 60fps. I can also write a piece of software, hell even with the same exact output, that it can't.

I think he meant that the vast majority of games won't run at 60 FPS, much like with this generation. The next Killzone has already been confirmed to be 1080p30 and I expect that to be the same for the rest of the games.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 21:32 Jerykk

So, here we are in March 2013 with not even a single printed reference to this new setting that this game will showcase and somehow this experience will be as rich and substantial as Planescape:Torment?

PST was as rich and substantial as it was because of the team at Black Isle, not because of the setting alone. The game would have been just as rich and substantial if it used a completely original setting.

News Comments > Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter
12. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 21:27 Jerykk

Not particularly convincing. Nobody on the team worked on the previous games. In fact, nobody on the team has worked on any RTS ever.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
19. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 20:01 Jerykk

MP3 felt more like a Michael Mann movie than a Max Payne game. Gone were the poetically melodramatic language, comic book panels and piano/strings-based score. If Tony Scott and Michael Mann ever got together to make a game, MP3 would be it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2013, 19:04 Jerykk

I wonder how the release of DayZ Standalone will affect sales of ArmA2.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month
10. Re: Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month Mar 10, 2013, 01:20 Jerykk

Parias wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:53:
avianflu wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:54:
Let's further stomp that once notable franchise into the ground.

Hey now, this actually isn't too bad of a game - and unlike most franchises that literally do get stomped into the ground, they're actually trying to take it in a new direction. I say let them try.

(Although I won't comment on the multiplayer as I don't really have much interest there)

By "new," you mean "exactly like Uncharted." When your new direction revolves around copying best-selling games, that's not exactly risky.

15. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 01:17 Jerykk

On a side note, this music track is great. Mark Morgan is probably my favorite game music composer. His work is always unique and memorable and fits its respective game perfectly. Awesome to see him working on Torment and WL2.  

9. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 18:26 Jerykk

Steve Dengler is awesome. He's an investor who actually plays games and is willing to put his money behind the ones he thinks will be good (even if they won't necessarily give him the biggest returns). Wish more investors were like him.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
47. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 05:41 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:03:
InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:35:
When is Project Eternity due? In fact, has any Kickstarted game been released yet? When is the first one set for release? Does anyone know?

There have been quite a few releases, though none of the "Major" ones are done yet. I think Shadowrun is first, and it should be out somewhere this Summer. (that was their latest projection anyway.)

Wasteland 2 is scheduled for August. P:E is not due until 2014. I have no idea about Doublefine's release date.

Creston

I think DFA is almost over-budget, if the recent documentaries are anything to go by. DF is already looking at alternate revenue sources (the main reason they ported Brutal Legend to PC) so they can actually finish the game. DF really didn't have much a plan going into the Kickstarter. They hadn't even done any pre-production, which is a big no-no when you have tight budgets. $3 million sounds like a lot but it really isn't, especially when a large portion of the budget will be spent on pre-production. I'm sure they'll be able to finish the game and make it good but their situation serves as a lesson to other devs looking to kickstart their own projects. You need to have a plan and you need to hit the ground running. inXile seems to meet both these requirements so I have high hopes for WL2 and Torment.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
46. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 05:33 Jerykk

Fantaz wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 03:22:
I always thought PS Torment was so overrated...

Oh dear. This isn't going to end well for you...

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
30. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 22:51 Jerykk

People complaining about it being combat focused should be more concerned about the complete lack of depth to the gameplay outside of combat.

So... you're basing this assumption off a 20 minute demo that was clearly focused on combat? Bit premature to be judging the non-combat gameplay when you've seen so little of it.

I'd be interested in seeing a non-combat version of the playthrough (or at least a playthrough where combat is avoided whenever possible).

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 15:31 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
46. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:23 Jerykk

Probably should have stuck with a 2D isometric presentation like the other RPG kickstarters. It's much easier to make a good-looking 2D game than a good-looking 3D game. I don't think a million is enough to make a good-looking, 3D open-world RPG and the game's lackluster presentation is definitely going to hurt its funding chances, even with Garriot involved.  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
14. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 12:32 Jerykk

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:06:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:19:
Why have limited numbers for a tier that is all digital? Seems a bit silly.

What seems even sillier is having limited numbers for physical items.

Is not one of the principle ideas of pre-ordering to establish numbers of those willing to buy your goods? By artificially limiting the number of your customers not only do you lose sales but you lose economies of scale in producing your physical goods.

It's not like any orders have been made or production runs started!

I'm bummed the $250 physical level is sold out, $275 for the same schwag is over my limit for that tier.

Physical goods are very costly to make and distribute. Personally, I'd rather they not offer any physical goods whatsoever and instead invest all that money into the game itself.

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter
6. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 6, 2013, 01:53 Jerykk

Not sure what they were thinking with this. It's just an extremely streamlined WW2 RTS with units that you have to randomly unlock. Sounds pretty bad for a competitive multiplayer game.

They could have at least chosen a unique setting and premise for the game. There are approximately 50 million WW2 strategy games in existence. One of those is Company of Heroes 2, which looks many times more interesting and actually innovates within the genre.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Patch Brings Base Resets
11. Re: Far Cry 3 Patch Brings Base Resets Mar 6, 2013, 00:39 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 09:20:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 23:10:
Don't really see the point of resetting all the outposts. Yay, you get to do the same thing all over again! Instead of this, they should have just made the outposts significantly harder to take over in the first place.

The reasoning behind is that there's no sense of an ongoing conflict, as soon as you capture an outpost the enemy AI never seems to visit or attempt to retake that section of the island(s). Once you take a territory your only real enemy is the wildlife. Unfortunately the outpost reset thing is just a bandaid for that issue, its a design flaw more than anything else.

Yeah, I understand what they're trying to do. However, constantly having to attack and defend the same outposts gets old pretty quickly so I don't think that would have been a better solution. I'd much rather have the outposts be significantly harder to take in the first place.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 6, 2013, 00:34 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 23:31:
Oh, another platformer...

This is an action game. The bulk of gameplay revolves around shooting other players and dodging their attacks.

Just because a game has 2D gameplay does not make it a platformer.

News Comments > More on Thief
7. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 00:25 Jerykk

It sounds like they're fundamentally changing the nature of the game, though. Whereas earlier Thief games were about infiltrating a place and remaining undetected, this new game is about being "forced" into "impossible situations" and then "escaping". Garrett is going from being the hunter to being the prey. That's a big change.

Not all the missions in the previous games revolved around thievery. There were a lot of missions where you just had to escape zombies/ghosts/monsters. Also, we don't know if the level shown to Game Informer did actually force players into impossible situations. Keep in mind that demos are used to show off various aspects of games, not just one. Until we're shown more of the game, it's premature to assume that every level will be completely linear and scripted and have forced confrontations.

Remember that Eidos had the possibility of "ghosting" in DXHR, but it wasn't actual ghosting (Dishonored got this wrong too). If they don't understand what ghosting actually is, I don't trust them to make a worthy Thief game.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying how devs misuse the term these days. However, you can actually ghost through both DX:HR and Dishonored (except the boss fights and a couple of side-missions where the objective explicitly requires neutralizing people). I know because I did. Unfortunately, you'll just receive the same achievements/rewards as you would if you just knocked everyone out. The difference between killing someone and knocking them out is purely superficial and I really wish devs would stop confusing "non-lethal" with "ghosting."

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2013, 00:32.

News Comments > Deus Ex Domains Spied
4. Re: Deus Ex Domains Spied Mar 5, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 21:19:
we have a renewed chance to speculate about a follow-up to Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Thank GOD! Now get this Thief bidness out the door and get back to DX.

Different teams. The DX:HR team was actually working on the multiplayer for TR. Why they were working on that instead of the next DX? Nobody knows. It's possible that the next DX was still in pre-production so they needed something else for the bulk of the team to do.

13820 Comments. 691 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo