Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14066 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Hellraid E3 Trailer
8. Re: Hellraid E3 Trailer Jun 6, 2013, 23:03 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 13:11:
PHJF wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:46:
Half the assets are exact rips from Dead Island.
Yeah like the beach, the zombies and the weapons huh?

Oh wait... no... no they are not.

The Minotaur is basically just a reskinned Ram. Looks to have the same AI, same animations and even the same sound effects. Same applies to the big lumbering zombie. Same animations as the Thug in DI.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar
8. Re: Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar Jun 5, 2013, 12:24 Jerykk

Can't say I'm surprised.  

News Comments > Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow?
11. Re: Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow? Jun 4, 2013, 12:39 Jerykk

What's super-annoying is that the Wii-U version of DX:HR actually WILL have seamless integration of the Missing Link DLC.... as well as re-worked boss battles from the core game to be less silly.

And allegedly they're not planning to backport these changes to the PC platform =\ Although after a bunch of rage about this on the official forums, I heard they were going to bring the demand for this up with the developers.... so maybe there's some hope.

Those don't really seem like substantial changes. Boss fights comprise approximately 0.5% of DX:HR and anyone interested in the DLC has already played it.

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
17. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

durandal wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:42:
It's Vista & Halo 2 all over again.

Not even. MS thought that Halo 2 would be the killer app that made people buy Vista. I'm pretty sure no one at MS thinks Spartan Assault will make people buy Windows 8.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint Jun 4, 2013, 04:08 Jerykk

Just beat the game. Took me about 4 hours going for ghosting and A+ on every mission. A few of the missions are impossible to ghost through, as far as I can tell. There's one guy you just can't distract or sneak past in those.

Aside from that, I thought it was a lot of fun. The Crosslink mechanic is done well and rewards good planning. The writing is humorous too. I do wish there were more gadgets for ghosting but ghosting is typically a minimalistic affair anyway, so I can't complain too much.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
29. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 4, 2013, 03:45 Jerykk

Huh, weird. Still find it odd that there's no mention of 3D Realms in the listings for Shadow Warrior Classic and the reboot.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint Jun 3, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

It's more of a stealth/puzzle game than a platformer. I guess stealth-puzzle-platformer would be the most apt description.  

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Jun 3, 2013, 02:32 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 13:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 05:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:13:
@MisterBenn, yeah, what you call "streamlining" I call "consolidation."

When you build stuff to run on consoles, you have to dumb it down. It's a shame. Loved the new XCom, but it had about 3x fewer options than would have made the game truly amazing. Needed a larger research tree, more soldier types, more perk choices, more weapon and armor types, etc. etc. Same for Oblivion and Skyrim.

The dumbing down you speak of has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with appealing to a broader audience (on all platforms). Less complexity = more accessible.

Seriously, do you think things like research trees and perks stress console hardware at all? Answer: they don't. They don't even stress smartphones. They're just basic scripts that process instantaneously. Now, if Total War: Rome 2 gets ported to consoles and has significantly smaller armies, that would be a good example of console hardware limitations.

I was thinking less hardware limitations and more controller and display limitations. Limited options mean it's easier to navigate via controller. And display options too: Console games always have huge text since they're usually limited to 720P. So you can only fit so much on a page vs. a PC. Look at the awful interfaces for Oblivion and Skyrim, for example.

While it's true that designing for consoles does affect the UI, that still isn't the reason why games are getting dumbed down. The newest XCOM could have retained Time Units, inventories, etc, even with a console interface. However, Firaxis chose not to because they wanted to make the game simpler and more accessible. Same goes with Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion was designed for consoles and had weapon/armor degradation so its removal in Skyrim obviously has nothing to do with console hardware. Same applies to the simplification of the skills and attributes systems. Likewise, the removal of chance-to-hit and chance-to-cast in the post-Morrowind ES games has nothing to do with interface limitations and everything to do with making combat more appealing to non-RPG players. As for the UI, I think consoles can be partially blamed for that, though the ES games have never had good interfaces (Morrowind's wasn't that great either). The bigger factor is that Bethesda's UI designers only seem to be concerned with presentation and not with speed or efficiency. Even with the limitations of a gamepad, Skyrim's UI didn't need to be as bloated or clunky as it was.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2013, 01:54 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 21:44:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 17:22:
I don't know about "hate" for Alan Wake, but I will say "disappointment".
Indeed. Its two sins were that it wasn't as good as game as it was hyped up to be, and the initial shafting of PC players when it went from being a PC game to an Xbox exclusive. The latter in particular is where most of the hate comes from.

If I recall correctly, some stooge from Remedy or MS stated that the game was an Xbox exclusive because it was designed to be played on a couch or something stupid like that. That statement deservedly got a lot of hate. Phil Fish said the same thing regarding Fez, only to eventually port the game to PC as well. These people really need to learn to just say "no comment" instead of coming up with bullshit excuses for console exclusivity.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 22:03 Jerykk

Skyrim was $15 less than a month ago, I believe. If you thought that was still too expensive, you may be the cheapest person alive.  

27. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 21:56 Jerykk

They don't. They licensed it from 3D Realms.

Source? Right now, I don't see any mention of 3D Realms or Apogee when it comes to Shadow Warrior. Digital Devolver is listed as the publisher of the original on both GOG and Steam and the teaser trailer for the reboot only lists Flying Wild Hog and Digital Devolver. If 3D Realms were just licensing out the IP, surely their name would still be attached to any Shadow Warrior products. I think it's more likely that they sold the IP to Digital Devolver, much like they sold Prey, Duke Nukem, Death Rally and Max Payne.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 05:32 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:13:
@MisterBenn, yeah, what you call "streamlining" I call "consolidation."

When you build stuff to run on consoles, you have to dumb it down. It's a shame. Loved the new XCom, but it had about 3x fewer options than would have made the game truly amazing. Needed a larger research tree, more soldier types, more perk choices, more weapon and armor types, etc. etc. Same for Oblivion and Skyrim.

The dumbing down you speak of has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with appealing to a broader audience (on all platforms). Less complexity = more accessible.

Seriously, do you think things like research trees and perks stress console hardware at all? Answer: they don't. They don't even stress smartphones. They're just basic scripts that process instantaneously. Now, if Total War: Rome 2 gets ported to consoles and has significantly smaller armies, that would be a good example of console hardware limitations.

Skyrim was the first ES game where (to me) the characters actually felt semi real, and not cardboard cutouts as in previous games. I'm not sure if that was due to increasing the voice acting budget (so it wasn't the same 3 people), better writing, or what. Granted, there's still room for improvement in future games, but it did seem like a step up.

I'd love to see actual dialogue options that not only let you define your personality but also resolve quests in different ways.

News Comments > Arkane Prey 2 Rumor
10. Re: Arkane Prey 2 Rumor Jun 1, 2013, 18:24 Jerykk

Bethesda Softworks != Bethesda Game Studios. BGS is the dev studio behind the Elder Scrolls. Bethesda Softworks is Zenimax, the publisher.  

6. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 18:20 Jerykk

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:40:
Prez wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:37:
How cool is this?! Thanks Valve (and whomever is currently holding the license).

Think whoever is doing the remake put it out. According to the steam forums, there's also an upcoming more feature supported version, like what they did with Duke Nukem 3d (I'm assuming there's a cost involved, too).

Digital Devolver is publishing the remake so I assume they own the IP now.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jun 1, 2013, 04:17 Jerykk

Rattlehead wrote on May 31, 2013, 02:21:
Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2013, 01:04:
Technically, Ninja Theory didn't make the DmC PC port. It was handled by another studio. Same with MGS Revengeance. As long as the ports are good, I don't care who makes them, but it's important to keep in mind that these studios had nothing to do with the PC versions of their games.
Erm, can't find anything about that. All credits state that Ninja Theory handled all the development alongside Capcom.

"Developed by QLOC S.A. for Windows PC"
PC Press Release

News Comments > Arkane Prey 2 Rumor
6. Re: Arkane Prey 2 Rumor Jun 1, 2013, 04:14 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:01:
Well I called that one. Is Prey really a "brand"? It was ONE game most people have already forgotten. By the time the new one comes out there will be almost no memory of the original. Like it or not a reboot this shall be.

It was already basically a reboot anyway. Different protagonist, different setting, different enemies, etc. Based on the E3 demo, Prey 2 looked to have a ton of potential. Here's hoping that whoever's working on the game now can deliver.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 04:12 Jerykk

Played a few hours of this today. Seems pretty good so far. The writing is solid and there's a lot of roleplaying depth. Each of your companions is surprisingly fleshed out. Combat is pretty standard TBS fare, but it's entertaining. There's a lot of resource management outside of combat. Instead of permadeath, your companions get injured if they fall during battle. If you have a doctor in your group, you can attempt to heal them, provided you have enough medication. If you don't treat the wounds, there's a chance they'll get worse and potentially fatal. You have to feed your crew on a daily basis and you're forced to rest after performing a certain number of moves on the world map. That's probably my least favorite part of the game so far. It feels like you can't make enough moves before having to rest and consume food.

As for racism, you don't have to be racist. There are a lot of dialogue options that let you define your character and some quests seem to have diplomatic solutions. Your companions have different personality traits. Some might be racist, pious, greedy, etc, and they lose morale if you do things they disagree with. Luckily, you choose your team at the start of the game so you can ban all racists and religious people if you want.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 31, 2013, 01:04 Jerykk

Technically, Ninja Theory didn't make the DmC PC port. It was handled by another studio. Same with MGS Revengeance. As long as the ports are good, I don't care who makes them, but it's important to keep in mind that these studios had nothing to do with the PC versions of their games.  

News Comments > Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter
8. Re: Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter May 30, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Can someone like DF fund this themselves or secure the financing and still make it their way without having to go hat in hand?

No, they likely couldn't fund it themselves. Most independent studios survive from project to project. They have little, if any, expendable income. The revenue they get from the PC versions of Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Stacking, Costume Quest and Iron Brigade are probably only enough to keep the studio afloat in-between projects. And I can pretty much guarantee that no publisher (except for Paradox) would have any interest in this game.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 02:44 Jerykk

Not really sure what Sarkeesian is trying to accomplish. The games industry is male-dominated and the vast majority of writers are not only male but also lousy writers. Male + lousy writer = sexist tropes. Nothing new there. Stating the obvious isn't going to change anyone's mind. Then she claims that these tropes desensitize men to violence against women. Even if that were true, getting rid of the tropes wouldn't stop people from committing violence. People commit violence because they had troubled upbringings (negligent and/or abusive parents, typically). If someone has no respect for the law or human life, changing the writing of videogames isn't going to fix that.

So, given that these videos are just stating the obvious and aren't going to change a thing, they basically boil down to glorified whining.

14066 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo