Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14023 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
70. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 05:24 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 01:49:
"2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective.

No, 2D is a perspective. A sidescroller is a sidescroller, not a "perspective". I've already said I like many 2D games. On the other hand I like virtually no sidescrollers. It's got nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with how limiting, constricting, and lifeless a sidescrolling game feels to me. Make it a top down 2D game with the exact same art and suddenly it becomes something I'm possibly interested in.

I would try any 2D RPG because there's a good chance I would like it. I would not try a sidescrolling RPG because there's virtually no chance I would like it. They are not for me. Why is that so hard for you to understand????? Dizzy

How would you define "side-scroller"? Fallout 1 and 2 were both 2D games that had a scrolling camera. Diablo was a 2D game that had a scrolling camera. By "side-scroller," you're specifically referring to a 2D, side-view of the world. Therefore, it is indeed a perspective. Which brings us back to my original point that disliking a game because of its perspective seems silly. It's like saying that you don't like first-person or third-person games, even though there's a huge range of genres that use either perspective.

I guess it is plausible that some people would find certain perspectives inherently awkward or irritating. Just seems like such a waste to miss out on great games solely because of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Announced
17. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Announced May 26, 2013, 23:56 Jerykk

Test Drive and NFS are separate franchises. Test Drive was once the main competition to NFS, though it basically died a long time ago.  

56. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 23:46 Jerykk

I remember you saying that you don't like 4x space strategy games (I think it was in a Sins of a Solar Empire thread) and no one jumped your shit even though Master of Orion is one of the best PC games ever made. Why do you have such a hard time handling that other people don't like 2D sidescrollers?

4X is a very specific subgenre of strategy games. "2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective. That's the issue here. As I said before, if you dislike platformers, that's fine. "Platformer" is a specific genre that doesn't appeal to everyone. But to automatically dismiss any game that uses a 2D, side-scrolling perspective, regardless of genre, seems silly to me. About as silly as dismissing any game based solely on its perspective, whether it be first-person, third-person, isometric or top-down. Perspective != genre.

First-person is not a genre. Third-person is not a genre. Isometric is not a genre. Side-scrolling is not a genre.

So I do not share your fear; if anything, I have the opposite fear as you. If PC's drop the niche markets and focus solely on large AAA 3D games, then they might as well be just console-ports. Which, after time, would mean loads of games along the lines of Madden 2021 / Call of Duty 39 / Modern Warfare 23.5 / etc.

That's already happening. The vast majority of AAA games are multiplatform and designed for consoles. Most of these games are ported to PC and as such, the majority of AAA PC games are ports. However, these games still coexist with the indies and I see no reason why this would ever change. PC will always be the most accessible platform for developers, making it the ideal platform for indies.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 23:52.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 21:27 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 26, 2013, 21:01:
Also, it's pretty ridiculous to automatically dismiss a game simply because it's 2D sidescroller. That's just as stupid as dismissing a game because it's 3D. A genre is a genre, regardless of camera perspective. There are 2D platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups, stealth games, horror games, RPGs, adventure games, you name it. To say "Oh, this game must suck because it has a scrolling 2D camera" is incredibly dumb. It's like calling every first-person game a Doom clone and every third-person game a Tomb Raider clone.

So how many 2D sidescrollers do I need to play and be bored to tears by before I can legitimately be allowed to just say I am not a fan of 2D sidescrollers? I haven't found one yet in 36 years of gaming that kept me interested enough to finish it, or even play it more than a few hours. I didn't say I don't like 2D games (I love Faster than Light and Space Rangers is one of my most favorite games of all time) - it's sidescrolling platformers that bore the friggin' snot out of me. I understand WHY so many indies make them, since they are way cheaper to make than 3D open worlds, but that does not mean I have to like them, cause I don't, and seemingly can't.

The problem is that you're automatically assuming that every 2D game with a scrolling camera is a platformer. Mark of the Ninja is not a platformer. Terraria is not a platformer. Lone Survivor is not a platformer. Dust is not a platformer. Reus is not a platformer. Shank is not a platformer. Some of these games may contain platforming elements but that doesn't make them platformers unless platforming is the focus of the game.

If you don't like platformers, that's fine. However, you shouldn't arbitrarily assume that every 2D side-scroller is a platformer.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 20:44 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
Dust...
Reus...

There's so much enthusiasm around all these 2D games coming from PC gamers. This is surprising to me, because I always thought one of the main differences between console gamers and PC gamers were that the first play games for some mindless entertainment, while the latter play games for immersion.

In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

The PC has always been about choice. Choice of hardware, choice of options, choice of games.

Also, it's pretty ridiculous to automatically dismiss a game simply because it's 2D side-scroller. That's just as stupid as dismissing a game because it's 3D. A genre is a genre, regardless of camera perspective. There are 2D platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups, stealth games, horror games, RPGs, adventure games, you name it. To say "Oh, this game must suck because it has a scrolling 2D camera" is incredibly dumb. It's like calling every first-person game a Doom clone and every third-person game a Tomb Raider clone.

News Comments > PC Destiny Talk
29. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 23:41 Jerykk

Smellfinger wrote on May 24, 2013, 17:52:
ItBurn wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:28:
I'm in the Halo sucks category.

If you think Halo sucks, I can only imagine what you consider a good single player FPS.

No One Lives Forever, FEAR, Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Far Cry, Crysis, Wolfenstein, Quake, Prey, Stalker, Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, Half-Life, Unreal, SiN, Dark Forces, Doom, Serious Sam, Deus Ex, Shogo... pretty much every shooter ever made has better SP than Halo. Though, I'm basing this on Halo 1 and 2. Halo 1's level design was downright awful. They literally copied and pasted the same sections over and over, to the point where you had no sense of direction. To remedy this, they put giant glowing arrows on the ground pointing you in the right direction. You know your level design sucks when you have to rely on giant glowing arrows. Halo 2 was slightly better but still only mediocre at best.

The only decent thing about Halo SP is the AI. That's it. Unfortunately, it's not nearly good enough to compensate for the rest of the SP's shortcomings.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches May 24, 2013, 04:31 Jerykk

They really need to fix the deadzone issue in RE:R. There's no reason why there should ever be a deadzone when using a mouse.  

News Comments > Dying Light Announced
19. Re: Dying Light Announced May 24, 2013, 04:28 Jerykk

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
36. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 24, 2013, 00:00 Jerykk

Wonder if anyone will buy the Blood IP. Devolver Digital seems like the most likely candidate, considering that they bought Shadow Warrior and the rights to the pre-DNF Duke.  

News Comments > Dying Light Announced
17. Re: Dying Light Announced May 23, 2013, 23:57 Jerykk

Dead Island + Minecraft + Mirror's Edge. Sounds good to me. Hopefully Techland will make sure it's polished and ready before release.  

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
27. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 22, 2013, 23:33 Jerykk

Where can I pre-order the new Solitaire?  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Origins Trailer
15. Re: Batman Arkham Origins Trailer May 21, 2013, 04:47 Jerykk

Wonder what other villains will be in the game. Could be cool to see Scarface and Firefly in action. The game's a prequel, so Hush won't be in it.

On a side note, I can't help but feel like this is just a quick cash-in while Rocksteady works on a proper sequel. Epic did the same with the latest Gears and Sony did the same with the latest God of War. That said, there have only been two Arkham games thus far so I can't complain too much about more of the same.

On another side note, Blur did a fantastic job with Black Mask's eyes. They really make him look like a psycho under that mask.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 04:59.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 21, 2013, 03:36 Jerykk

Being on Steam doesn't mean anything. Steam just sells games, they don't guarantee that they will work on the latest OS. You're thinking of GOG.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
16. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 21, 2013, 02:18 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:56:
Wildone wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:46:
guessing there will be no Wang jokes in this P.C. age. All my asian friends loved that shit though

"All my black friends are cool with me saying the n word!"

I'm Asian and thought Lo Wang was hilarious. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the reviewers who were upset by it were white.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer
21. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 21, 2013, 01:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:17:
I'm playing a lot of Reus, with hyper-stylized graphics. So not immersive!

"Immersive" is the worst adjective for games.

Not really. If a game immerses you in its gameplay and/or world, then it qualifies as immersive. Seems pretty appropriate to me. Just because people incorrectly limit the term to describe realistic visuals doesn't make it a bad term.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to retain the absurd, over-the-top character of Lo Wang. This is a prequel, so he'll be a lot younger and likely more serious. Sadly, he probably won't be voiced by some white guy trying to sound like an old Asian man either.

Lo Wang was great because he was a badass ninja who also happened to be a belligerent and elderly pervert. Claims of racism are solely misplaced. It's like arguing that Duke Nukem is racist because he is the culmination of American stereotypes. If you want a genuinely racist game, play Ethnic Cleansing.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 02:13.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
3. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 20, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

Will have to wait and see. No doubt they're toning down Lo Wang's character. Also, the enemy designs shown in the screenshots aren't terribly impressive.  

News Comments > Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team
12. Re: Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team May 20, 2013, 00:28 Jerykk

I assume that Obsidian is only helping with asset production on the game. MMO art is often outsourced to other studios due to the sheer amount required and it gives the artists at the other studios something to do during the downtime between projects.  

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews May 19, 2013, 23:25 Jerykk

Dishonored took a lot of pages from the Thief playbook, so similarities are unavoidable. However, I don't think you can teleport, pause time or possess people in Thief, so that alone should make for enough of a distinction.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
55. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 17:59 Jerykk

It's true that if Sleeping Dogs didn't require Steam and didn't have any integrated auto-update system, you could play without patching. But again, the only reason you don't want to patch is because the patches are so huge and the only reason they're so huge is because the developers put the DLC into them. The root of the issue is the poor DLC implementation, not automatic updates. It has nothing to do with Steam. Even if Sleeping Dogs had no DRM, the DLC would still be included in the patches and the patches would still be huge. Yes, you'd be able to play the game without patching but then you'd miss out on the numerous fixes and improvements the patches provide.

On a side note, I think the reason you couldn't play Sleeping Dogs was because you had already begun updating it before switching to offline mode. The game was already partially updated so it needed to finish updating, otherwise it would just be broken. If you had immediately switched to offline mode after first installing the game, I think you would have been able to play without downloading any patches.

I would like to see a poll of Steam users to see the actual satisfaction rating. Steam has a lot of points that seem like that's a good idea until... you want to do something that counters it.

If people were unsatisfied with Steam, it wouldn't be the most popular digital distribution platform. When Steam came out, everyone hated it and the only games that required Steam were Valve's games. Over time, more and more publishers started adopting Steamworks because consumers requested it. Steam is successful because people choose to use it, not because they are forced to.

How many free services are great ideas and convenient, everyone uses it then one day the company dedcides to do something it's users don't want like start charging for things... There will be a price to pay later for all this convenience I strongly believe as it happens all the time.

If we were talking about Microsoft, you'd have a fair point. But we're talking about Valve. When has Valve ever charged for something that was previously free? Hell, Valve provides more free content and services than any other company. There's no precedent for them trying to exploit customers so there's no logical reason to expect them to suddenly start doing so.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 18:04.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
51. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 06:30 Jerykk

Sigh. I already addressed your Sleeping Dogs argument. Your issue isn't that you had to update the game. It's that the updates were ridiculously huge due to the DLC being included with them. That's a case of poor DLC implementation, not an issue with automatic updates. And how often is being fully updated a problem? In 99.9% of cases, you want to be fully updated. Only occasionally does the latest patch create problems and even then, that's an issue with the patch, not automatic updates. For every broken or poorly implemented patch, there are about 50 patches that improve their respective games, making automatic updates advantageous in most cases. Once a game is up-to-date, Steam lets you play it offline without issue. In the unlikely event that Steam ever gets shut down, I'm pretty confident that they'll offer a permanent offline mode for any games you've downloaded. In fact, if I downloaded and updated all of my games right now, I'm pretty sure I could just switch to offline mode and never log in again.

I've already stated that digital distribution (and thereby Steam) are not really viable for people with poor connections or strict bandwidth limits. This was never in contention. However, the majority of PC gamers do not suffer from these limitations and as time goes on, good connections will only become more prevalent. It's a concern that will only grow less relevant in the future.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 06:36.

14023 Comments. 702 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo