Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13820 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 23, 2013, 00:01 Jerykk

You can get an additional 10% off at Gamefly with this code: SLICKSPRING10  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Splinter Cell Blacklist Walkthrough Trailer
2. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2013, 23:58 Jerykk

Developers really need to stop misusing the term "ghosting." If you're knocking people out, you aren't ghosting. Ghosting is when you get through a level without killing or incapacitating anyone.  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
23. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 12:30 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:05:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:21:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:33:
Somehow, I seriously doubt that they will be using the funds from this game fully. When they sit here and defend that they we will be using the funds just for the game. That raises a red flag to me. And 700K to add Chris, I dont see it.

Are you high? There are several stretch goal in between the current funding level and the Chris Avellone stretch goal so they aren't spending even remotely near 700k on hiring Chris Avellone + a lot of the money is being spent on other things like art, animation, code, etc to go with his writing/design work.

So even the 150k between the prior stretch goal and the Chris Avellone stretch goal isn't Chris's fee. 150k USD more in pledges implies more Amazon and kickstarter fees and more used on rewards. So the budget of the game won't be increased by that full amount.

Excuse me for not believing you, but you sound like an advocate supporter or work for them. My feelings on Kick starters are there are no checks and balances on how they are using the money.

Just because someone puts up a KS page and says I need 1 Million to make this happen, does not mean that they are using all of that money to fund the project. Itís idiotic to even assume that they are using all of the money as they say they are.

Are you sure you are not one of their stretch goals?

It's been stated throughout that the stretch goals do not necessarily reflect the actual cost needed to provide the accompanying features and/or improvements. Rather, the stretch goals are how much it will cost to make a meaningful improvement to the game. Rest assured, if they're making an RPG, they'll be using all the funding they can get. Heck, even if they weren't making an RPG, money goes quick. Games are expensive to make.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2013, 00:52 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 23:15:
I still want DS but can't justify paying more than $5 for it given it's supposedly such a shitty port.

I can only recommend DS if you have a high tolerance for grinding. The game has the worst respawns I've ever seen in any game ever. Basically, whenever you use a bonfire, enemies respawn. The following mechanics require the use of bonfires:

1) Spawning after death or loading your save.
2) Refilling your health flasks.
3) Leveling up.
4) Using humanity points to turn yourself human (as opposed to your default undead state).
5) Repairing items.
6) Upgrading items.
7) Managing your inventory chest.

So basically, you'll be fighting the same enemies over and over and over again.

News Comments > No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions
43. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 21, 2013, 00:31 Jerykk

It's a Tomb Raider game, and they nailed the puzzle platforming shooting stuff this time.

Fixed.

News Comments > FEZ Coming to Steam
34. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 19, 2013, 22:59 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 22:08:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 04:11:
JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:44:
Weeeeeeee!!! I love it when we get console leftovers!

I'm confused. Your last two posts seem to suggest that you dislike console ports, yet in the past, you've professed your love of Skyrim and CoD, two games designed for consoles and ported to PC.

Consistency please.

I complained about getting leftover console ports long after they are released on consoles, and you counter by stating I'm inconsistent for liking two games that were released simultaneously on PC?

Logic please.

Describing a port as a "leftover" suggests that it was afterthought, not that it was released after lengthy delay. One could very easily argue that most PC ports are afterthoughts since PC is almost never the lead platform, regardless of release date. Skyrim PC was an afterthought (as the terrible UI can attest to). All of the CoD PC versions (except for the first game) were afterthoughts as well, what with all the DLC coming out on Xbox first. For the vast majority of multiplatform games, X360 is the focus while PC and PS3 are essentially relegated to leftovers.

So yes, consistency please.

Semantics aside, I don't really see the point in complaining about delayed ports like these. Yes, delays suck. However, they're better than not getting the games at all, especially when they've received critical acclaim like Fez has. For people who only game on PC, news like this is always good news.

21. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 19, 2013, 04:11 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:44:
Weeeeeeee!!! I love it when we get console leftovers!

I'm confused. Your last two posts seem to suggest that you dislike console ports, yet in the past, you've professed your love of Skyrim and CoD, two games designed for consoles and ported to PC.

Consistency please.

13. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 18, 2013, 23:16 Jerykk

Phil Fish is indeed a douchebag but from what I've heard, Fez is a great game. I try to separate quality and politics so I'm definitely going to pick up Fez if the port is good.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 00:40 Jerykk

Fion wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 22:36:
Since when are people paying $40 to play an Alpha game? Am I missing something here? People bitch about paying for a game that 'might as well be Beta'. Now everyones forking over $40 for an ALPHA GAME?

The alpha access is basically a pre-order bonus. The $40 gets you the final game too.

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
12. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:16 Jerykk

The problem with Victory is that it's a dumbed down WW2 RTS in a genre filled with superior WW2 RTSes. They should have at least picked a more interesting setting that hasn't been done to death.  

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition?
10. Re: Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition? Mar 17, 2013, 18:13 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 17:31:
Yes!!! Yes!!! Please give me a cheap port of a console game that came out years ago!!!

You can't really say how cheap the port will be until it's actually released. The Arkham Asylum/City ports were pretty solid so it's not like WB has a reputation for shitty ports.

Anyway, I hope the game does come to PC. There is a distinct lack of fighting games on PC and I'd love to see this change.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
51. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 17, 2013, 00:30 Jerykk

And I'll buy it day one almost guaranteed so long as the gameplay is good, even if the content is lacking. SR is one of those few games I will support to keep the series going even if I think I'm overpaying. It's really the GTA juggernaut threat that makes me feel that way.

Buying SR4 isn't really going to change the fact that GTA5 will sell 10+ million copies. You should buy a game because you feel it is worth paying for, not because you think it will diminish the impact of more popular games.

For what it's worth, I don't think SR will ever try to be a GTA clone again. It didn't work out for them with SR1 and it hasn't really worked out for any other open-world games since. Really, the only reason why GTA sells so well is because of its name. From a gameplay standpoint, it's pretty mundane and subpar. There have been plenty of superior and vastly more interesting and innovative open-world games since GTA3. I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs far more than GTA5.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
48. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 16, 2013, 06:15 Jerykk

I feel like they should have spent more time on this. It began as an expansion, then was switched to a sequel once THQ realized that they were running out of money and needed to generate more hype. Everything I've seen in the trailer looks like an expansion pack. The superpowers could be fun but I don't think they'll be enough to justify this entry to the series.  

News Comments > Alice 3 Possibilities Raised
25. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 16, 2013, 06:11 Jerykk

KS wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 05:30:
Assuming any interest, the big company with the rights will pick up on it, then:

Alice fans
Question for you
1. Would you like to see console-like gameplay fun? Alice is held. Quick, squeeze right trigger, I mean tap shift, fast fast fast!

"Console-like" gameplay is a bit vague. Both games were platformers, a genre traditionally associated with consoles. If you enjoyed either of them, you probably enjoy "console-like" gameplay.

As for EA making another one, I seriously doubt it. MR didn't sell particularly well. The only reason EA even made a sequel in the first place was because the devs were in China, making the budget significantly lower than it would have been otherwise. The big publishers are only interested in small downloadable games that cost less than $1 million to make or huge, AAA games that cost $20+ million. Mid-budget games (like another Alice game would be) are of no interest to them.

22. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 15, 2013, 00:28 Jerykk

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 17:35:
Sad to say, but I would rather they skipped it. Or had somebody else do it.

I liked the first game, though it had its share of rough edges. But the second game was...just boring and kind of tedious. It had the usual nice Alice design, but it started slow, felt small, was a bit clunky, and loved pointless combat.

I paid full price for the first game and beat it with fond memories. I bought the second game for $5-$10 and never finished it.
'Nuff said.
Wondering if there will be any surprises with the S4,
Ray

Eh? This is rose-tinted glasses if ever there were such a thing. The first Alice is pretty terrible compared to the sequel. The sequel has better traversal mechanics, better writing, better presentation, better level design and better combat. Seriously, every criticism you made towards Madness Returns can be applied ten-fold to the first game.

Really, go back and try the first game again. I had fond memories of it too until I played it again (it came bundled with MR). The game hasn't aged well at all, whereas MR is still pretty entertaining.

11. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 14, 2013, 12:32 Jerykk

I liked Madness Returns. It was fun seeing how weird and twisted each level would get. The story was also surprisingly dark. If they make a third one, they just need to focus on adding more depth and variety to the core gameplay.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
45. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 14, 2013, 01:25 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 06:08:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 20:01:
MP3 felt more like a Michael Mann movie than a Max Payne game. Gone were the poetically melodramatic language, comic book panels and piano/strings-based score. If Tony Scott and Michael Mann ever got together to make a game, MP3 would be it.
Wait what? They got rid of the MP style of music?
That was one of my favorite parts from previous games.

Yeah, it's mostly electronic music now. It's not bad and some of it is catchy but none of it is as memorable as the music from the first two games.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
13. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 01:19 Jerykk

One could argue that Halo helped ruin the genre too. It was the killer app for the Xbox and proved that shooters could be more successful on consoles than on PC, which led to consoles becoming the lead platform for subsequent shooters (including CoD). It also popularized regenerating health and two-weapon limits, two of the worst modern gaming trends ever. CoD just took it a step further and added straight up auto aim when entering ADS. They also popularized the stupid leveling systems and unlockables that now plague multiplayer shooters.

There are signs of hope, however. Although plenty of shooters still use regenerating health, a growing number of them are starting to compromise and offer only partially regenerating health. Also, more shooters are allowing you to carry more than two weapons at a time. Unfortunately, leveling and unlockables in multiplayer show no sign of disappearing anytime soon.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2013, 03:15 Jerykk

Lucius had the potential to be awesome but it never really panned out. When it was announced, I thought it was going to be like Hitman, only with the son of Satan murdering his family members and housekeepers. Unfortunately, the final game ended up being a much more linear and scripted affair. You have to do the murders in a specific order and a very specific manner.

On a side note, the latest Groupees bundle is pretty great: http://groupees.com/weg

For $5, you get 6 of the best adventure games in years. I already have all of them except Puzzle Bots so I probably won't pick it up unless they include Primordia as one of the bonuses. However, if you haven't played them yet, this bundle is a pretty awesome deal.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
7. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 Jerykk

I liked The Cave. Had a lot of the twisted charm that we haven't really seen since Psychonauts. The platforming was pretty rudimentary and there was a bit too much backtracking, but I thought it was a pretty entertaining game overall. Definitely the most adventure-ish game DF has made in a while.  

13820 Comments. 691 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo