Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
109. Re: removed May 8, 2013, 23:12 Jerykk

BTW, in English is is pronounced Heck-ler and Coke. So many people say Cotch, but it's Coke.

That's incorrect as well. It's pronounced "kohgghhh." It's a German name and therefore, only the German pronunciation is correct. Claiming that there's an English pronunciation is silly because it isn't an English name. It's like how people pronounce Wolfenstein as "wolf-en-steen." No. It's "volf-en-shtine." If you're not pronouncing it like that, you're doing it wrong.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
42. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 05:10 Jerykk

Stricter gun control isn't going to reduce crime because criminals don't care about the law. Most of the guns used in crimes are already obtained illegally. Washington D.C. has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, yet it also has a significantly higher murder and violent crime rate than any other state, including those that have incredibly lax gun laws like Texas and Florida. There is no statistical correlation between gun control and crime.

If you want to reduce crime, you need to look at the factors that breed criminals in the first place. Poverty is the most obvious one. Abusive and/or negligent parenting is another. Address these two issues and crime will drop. Wasting taxpayer money trying to enforce gun control won't change anything (as the prevalence of narcotics can attest to).

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale May 8, 2013, 02:17 Jerykk

For some reason, Iron Brigade is never included in any of the Double Fine bundles or sales. I'm guessing it's because MS published it and probably owns the IP, whereas DF has full control over the rest of their franchises.  

News Comments > Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser
6. Re: Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser May 7, 2013, 23:26 Jerykk

You should try Moment of Truth. It's significantly better than the first one. It's like the jump between Hitman 1 and 2.

Anyway, it looks like this fundraiser is already DOA. Barely $200 in the first day. Shame, as the last game was great and the world always need more stealth games. If the game gets enough media coverage, maybe publishers will start showing interest.

News Comments > EA Financials
7. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2013, 23:23 Jerykk

I suspect SimCity will continue to sell for quite some time, just like every other Sim game. Its lifetime sales will likely be at least 5-6 million (not including the inevitable expansions). If the game were available on Steam and didn't have worthless DRM, it would have likely sold 2-3 million by now.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 23:15 Jerykk

Wolfenstein has always been an interesting mix of history, sci-fi and occult fantasy. I'm hoping they haven't done away with the occult part in this one.

On a side note, Warren Spector tweeted his outrage over the game, calling it juvenile and immature and whatnot. If this were 2000, his words would mean something. After DX:IW and two Epic Mickeys, his cred is pretty much gone.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2013, 23:21.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer
13. Re: Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer May 7, 2013, 23:11 Jerykk

KTR wrote on May 7, 2013, 21:38:
Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:25:
It looks like the game still takes place in Steelport, which is disappointing. Makes me think this will be more of an expansion pack than a true sequel.

It looks like an expansion pack because it was initially to be a standalone expansion pack to SR3, similar to Episodes to Liberty City.

Yeah, I know. I was hoping that they would just take the work they did on the expansion and add it to a proper sequel. Instead, it looks like they just renamed the expansion and called it a day.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer
10. Re: Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer May 7, 2013, 16:25 Jerykk

It looks like the game still takes place in Steelport, which is disappointing. Makes me think this will be more of an expansion pack than a true sequel.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
24. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 12:34 Jerykk

An FPS set in the '60s, eh? Too late to ask for another NOLF?  

News Comments > Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser
3. Re: Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser May 7, 2013, 12:30 Jerykk

They already have the game half done and that includes the games core mechanics and systems. Now they just need to pump out assets to finish the game. I think $80k is enough for that. Now the question is whether or not I think they can actually get $80k on Indiegogo. The problem with Indiegogo is that your money is taken even if the project fails to meet their goal, placing all the risk on the people funding.

Edit: Actually, looks like they are offering refunds if the goal isn't met. In that case, I'm in!

This comment was edited on May 7, 2013, 12:38.

News Comments > Against the Qlock DLC for Q.U.B.E.
4. Re: Against the Qlock DLC for Q.U.B.E. May 7, 2013, 04:12 Jerykk

Yeah, Moment of Truth was great. It was like Soviet Hitman. The first DTS was less great and reminded me of the first Hitman game in many ways. I was saddened to hear that the third DTS game was canceled. Had a lot of potential.  

News Comments > Against the Qlock DLC for Q.U.B.E.
2. Re: Against the Qlock DLC for Q.U.B.E. May 7, 2013, 00:36 Jerykk

Yeah, time limits seem counter-productive in a puzzle platformer. It's like putting a time limit in a stealth game. Commandos 3 did that and it basically ruined the game.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 7, 2013, 00:22 Jerykk

If you were dumb enough to actually invest in BitCoins, you deserve to lose all your money.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses
82. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 6, 2013, 23:24 Jerykk

A shitty game? Sure ok. But a product that resembles nothing of what was advertised to the public many times, and completely broken to boot? It's false advertising.

Saying that the advertised game looks nothing like the actual game is a bit of an exaggeration. It definitely looks nicer than the actual game but again, that's always the case in marketing. Ubisoft is notorious for photoshopping all their screenshots. Just check out the official screenshots for Far Cry 3. Nobody's suing them for false advertising.

CM isn't completely broken, either. You can play the game from start to finish. Are there bugs? Sure. Is the game unpolished? You betcha. But it's not technically broken by the criteria that would merit a lawsuit.

As I said before, I'm not defending CM. I think it's a shitty game. However, I think this lawsuit is pretty absurd, given that its accusations can be applied to pretty much every game (or any other product) ever made. Why hasn't anyone sued Peter Molyneaux for all the crap he lies about? Why hasn't anyone sued Ubisoft for photoshopping all their screenshots? Why hasn't anyone sued Microsoft for making it look like multiplatform titles are Xbox exclusives by only showing their own logo at the end of TV spots? Why hasn't anyone sued Square for marketing their games using only pre-rendered cinematics? Hell, a lot of ads use CGI that isn't even in the game (like the Bioshock Infinite TV spots). The GameStop ads routinely use modified in-game assets to represent scenes and events that never actually happen in the respective games. I can give you a million examples of ads that are even more misleading than CM's and yet received no legal threats.

To single out CM amongst the sea of bullshit that has always been the foundation of marketing just seems silly.

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
32. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:06 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on May 6, 2013, 22:21:
Give me a good Outlaws remake, sequel or prequel and I'll forgive EA for everything else, temporarily at least.

Unlikely as this is a Star Wars deal, but I don't care if I never see another IP from LucasArts if I can get a new Outlaws game.

LucasArts is dead (literally, Disney shut it down), so I doubt you'll be seeing anything from them ever again.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this news. LucasArts hadn't made anything good since the 90's. Bioware is responsible for one of the best SW games out there (KOTOR). DICE could do great things with the Battlefront IP. Not sure what Visceral would do. A horror SW game could be interesting.

If not EA, who else? Ubisoft? Activision? Actually, Raven made some of the best SW games too (Jedi Outcast & Academy), so that could be interesting. That said, Activision also has the worst history when it comes to licensed games.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Fundraiser
8. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 6, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 15:53:
Just so I understand:

They want $1.5m for a sequel to a Gamecube game released more than 10 years ago in a niche genre (survival horror) for a series of which only one was ever made? That seems crazy.

The original got good reviews, but is this something everyone is pining for and has tons of nostalgia about?

Eternal Darkness has a dedicated fanbase, for whatever reason. It was a poor survival horror game in just about every respect. I suspect people are nostalgic about it because of its unique premise and the sanity gimmick.

News Comments > Alice Cosplay Contest
2. Re: Alice Cosplay Contest May 6, 2013, 23:01 Jerykk

He's talking about the Alice IP he created years ago and now owned by EA, not Carrol's work.

Anyway, while I'd love to see another Alice game, I don't think Kickstarter is the place to do it. Making a worthy follow-up to Madness Returns would require a significant budget and you aren't going to get that kind of budget from crowd-funding.

78. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 6, 2013, 04:23 Jerykk

What about the fact that they used E3 footage for their TV commercial AFTER the release though?

TV spots have always been unrepresentative. How many TV spots for a Final Fantasy game have shown actual gameplay? Hell, how many TV spots in general show actual gameplay? 99% of the time, they just show cutscenes.

Marketing has always shown products in an unrealistic and favorable manner. That's what marketing does and E3 is a marketing convention. If you buy a game based on a E3 demo (or marketing in general), you are no in position to cry foul when what you get is less impressive than what was advertised. However, that doesn't make it false advertising. To accuse someone of false advertising, you need objective and quantifiable features that were explicitly advertised but not delivered in the final product. If you bought ACM and got Pong, that would be enough to sue for false advertising. If you bought ACM and got the correct game, only with less impressive graphics and shitty gameplay, that's not false advertising. That's just advertising doing its job and making a product look better than it actually is.

77. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 6, 2013, 04:14 Jerykk

Here's how a person with common sense disables the fast food analogy: Nobody goes to Mcdonalds expecting a 5-star gourmet meal. Unless you're stupid, of course. THINK

And you expect an early E3 demo to accurately represent a final game? If so, you're in no position to be calling people stupid. Common sense, my dear.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2013, 04:29.

News Comments > Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month
21. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 04:11 Jerykk

Yes, you can refrain from using OP weapons in horror games. I did that in Dead Space by only using the Plasma Cutter. However, that doesn't change the fact that the game forced me to kill hordes of monsters, rendering them completely non-scary. There's nothing I could have done to avoid that, as killing stuff was the only way to progress. Using weaker weapons did make killing stuff more intense but not enough to offset the inherent contradiction of killing stuff in a game where I'm supposed to feel scared and vulnerable.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using the abilities in Dishonored. The abilities are what make the game so interesting. It's how you use them that matters. If you use them to dispatch every guard you see, there's your issue right there. Dispatching guards makes every stealth game easy and the ability to teleport and pause time makes dispatching guards really, really easy. It's a vicious cycle of easiness that negates the need for creativity or planning. However, if you choose to ghost your way through Dishonored, your abilities are far less overpowered and the game is still challenging. You're forced to have a better understanding (and appreciation) of the game's underlying systems and mechanics. That's probably why I enjoyed Dishonored a lot more than you did.

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo