Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13973 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
28. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 16, 2013, 23:25 Jerykk

Remember kiddies, DRM is only good if it's Valve's. At least that seems to be the message around here.

Not sure if you've ever bothered reading any threads about this topic but I'll summarize:

1) DRM is bad.
2) Steam's non-DRM features are good.
3) Steam's good features outweigh the downsides of its DRM.

That's why people like Steam. It's not really rocket science. Standalone DRM is completely worthless, as it offers no benefits to the consumer. Steam offers plenty of benefits to the consumer so the consumer is far more tolerant of the DRM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project
6. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 23:16 Jerykk

Great to see a new vehicular combat game. Not so great to see it's MP-only. I'd love it if someone made a single-player, open-world vehicular combat game with RPG elements like branching quests and choice & consequence.  

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Beta
20. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 16, 2013, 05:17 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:20:
So instead of Half Life 3 we continually get crap like this instead.

Yup. All those level designers, scripters, environmental artists, character artists, animators, riggers, VFX artists, sound designers, UI artists, UI programmers, gameplay programmers, engine programmers, etc, are all working on this trading card system instead of HL3.

13. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 16, 2013, 03:27 Jerykk

I disagree and there is no facts to back up what you say any way lol.

No facts? Aside from the fact that Steam is by far the most popular digital distribution platform out there? And that literally every publisher except EA and Ubisoft use Steamworks? And that there are many people who only buy games on Steam?

Nobody likes Uplay. At best, people tolerate it because they have to. Conversely, many, many people like Steam. Put two and two together and I think it's safe to assume that using Steamworks will result in more sales than using Uplay.

It's all well and good to state that you don't like Steam and would prefer DRM-free games. That's fine. However, don't assume that your tastes represent the majority of PC gamers.

The mass amount of stupid people that buy a steam copy of a game on gog.com amazes and saddens me.

So... you basically agree that people are more likely to buy games that support Steamworks.

11. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 16, 2013, 01:23 Jerykk

Ubisoft's PC games would sell more if they just ditched Uplay completely and switched to Steamworks. Also, simultaneous release dates with the console versions makes a huge difference too.  

News Comments > DARK Trailer
4. Re: DARK Trailer May 16, 2013, 01:20 Jerykk

People expecting this to be the next Bloodlines will likely be disappointed. It looks like a thoroughly mediocre stealth/action game based on everything I've seen and read.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
62. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 16, 2013, 01:15 Jerykk

Are they really using the same render layer for both the viewmodel and world? That's stupid. If you're making an FPS, the viewmodel should be on a separate layer from the world, allowing you to adjust the FOVs separately. If you need the viewmodel to interact with something in the world, just temporarily change the viewmodel FOV during these interactions. Or you could just change the world FOV. I think Bioshock Infinite did that. Seeing the camera zoom in is a bit weird at first but a worthwhile compromise for overall playability when it actually matters. Or you could temporarily put the interactive objects on the same layer as the viewmodel.

There are a lot of ways to work around this problem and other games have done it before.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations Demo
10. Re: Resident Evil Revelations Demo May 16, 2013, 01:07 Jerykk

Tried out the demo for a bit on the highest difficulty. Pretty good challenge, though some of that is due to the wonky mouse controls. Basically, if you try to make slow and subtle movements while aiming, the game doesn't detect them at all. It's like the game still has the deadzone carried over from the 3DS version or something.

Also, enemies can't go through doors. Theoretically, this would make the game really easy except you're forced to fight them because they're big and the corridors are very narrow, so running past isn't an option in many cases.

Based on the demo, I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale for $15 or less.

News Comments > Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale
50. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

mag wrote on May 14, 2013, 02:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2013, 01:33:
19 purchases 0 issues

(also i fixed my GMG store checkout issues, was on my end.. bah)

I've only made one GMG purchase, and it went through and all, but my CC company did contact me very quickly about a potentially fraudulent use of my card. And they've never said a word about what on paper would seem sketchy uses (various other international purchases online, purchases in other countries with no warning or other connection). So I'm not sure what makes GMG seem so sketchy to banks.

I think they assume that any site with "gaming" in it is related to gambling. GMG is also based in the UK. If you've never bought anything from the UK before, it's not surprising that banks would consider it suspicious.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 14, 2013, 01:04 Jerykk

Square is wasting opportunities for compelling DLC. Why is there no tomb DLC for Tomb Raider? Why are there no level-based DLC for Hitman? Both games were criticized for missing levels similar to the ones in the previous games, so why not remedy that through DLC? Instead, they offer multiplayer levels and worthless cosmetic DLC.  

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews
14. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 00:21 Jerykk

VG247 has a fair amount of gameplay footage:

Footage

News Comments > Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale
21. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:08 Jerykk

I assume they'll add a FOV slider and aim-assist toggle to the options in a patch.

Even with those things, I can't say I'm too interested in the game. The first game was far too linear and scripted for my tastes. Also, the AI was pretty terrible and using bullets as currency in a game that revolves around shooting was a really stupid idea.

I wish someone would make another STALKER game with the production values of the Metro games.

News Comments > Square Enix's "Extraordinary" Losses
12. Re: Square Enix's May 13, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

Step 1: Set realistic sales expectations and budget appropriately.
Step 2: Cancel all Final Fantasy games.
Step 3: Profit!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 13, 2013, 02:28 Jerykk

nin wrote on May 12, 2013, 14:39:
Overon wrote on May 12, 2013, 14:08:
Preorder Metro and you get ranger mode? Really so no ranger mode for anyone who does not preorder? You got to be shitting me.

Pretty sure you can buy it later for $5, but it's still fishy. They place the blame on retail contracts, but I'm skeptical of that...

It's true that you have to offer retailer-exclusives if you want to get prominent shelf space and advertising in-store. It's a trend that GameStop started years ago and won't die until retail dies.

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
21. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 18:10 Jerykk

This seems really dumb. The ES games are all single-player and the only thing the "exploit" does it make the game crash. Also, ESO uses a completely different engine than the other Bethesda games.  

News Comments > On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution
12. Re: On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution May 12, 2013, 06:45 Jerykk

Overon wrote on May 11, 2013, 23:03:
Help me understand the cover shooter. Help me. Right now in real life combat zones, things like walls provide little protection against ballistic weapons. Yet in games like Mass Effect where they accelerate projectiles to super high speeds, stone, brick, and concrete stops them in their tracks. How can the futuristic weapons be so inferior to today's weapons when it comes to ballistic cover. Same goes for these cover shooters like this new Xcom game. To me this contradiction is so glaring that it makes it really difficult to play these games because I just keep thinking "this is stupid" constantly.

There are cover shooters with destructible cover or projectiles that can go through cover. Inversion or Binary Domain, for example. However, you act like invincible cover is limited to third-person shooters. It isn't. Most first-person shooters have invincible cover too. If you don't like unrealistically durable cover, you must not like Half-Life, Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolfenstein, NOLF, System Shock, Bioshock, Far Cry, Crysis, Quake, UT, etc. By that token, you must think Red Faction is the greatest shooter ever made because most of the cover in that series is destructible.

Fletch wrote on May 11, 2013, 17:38:
Third-person... {sigh}.

Does every fucking new game HAVE to get consolized into this shit perspective/genre? And whatever the reasons or rationalizations used by these fucktards to justify turning a FPS into yet another cookie-cutter, cover-systemized, immersion-destroying, controller-limited, over-the-shoulder "action" game for luddites doesn't explain the fact that a FPS X-Com game was completely uninteresting in the first place. As a third-person, it's just console kiddie pablum unworthy of a second glance, even at bargain bin/holiday sale prices.

But hey... some of you Baby Dunce Bucktooth Drool2 Hole might like it.

You act like third-person is inherently console-centric or something. It isn't. Max Payne 1 and 2? Designed for PC. MDK? Designed for PC. Sacrifice? Designed for PC. Deathtrap Dungeon? Designed for PC. Die By the Sword? Designed for PC. Giants? Designed for the PC. Alice? Designed for the PC. Omikron? Designed for the PC. Messiah? Designed for the PC. The Witcher? Designed for the PC. Severance? Designed for PC. Hitman? Designed for PC. Alone in the Dark? Designed for PC.

I could go on and on but I hope you get the point. In a game that emphasizes situational awareness and squad management, using third-person makes sense as it gives you a broader view of your surroundings and allows you to form strategies while in the safety of cover. If The Bureau were trying to be a realistic tactical shooter, ala the original R6, then first-person would be better but third-person makes perfect sense for the kind of game they're making.

Anyway, this looks better than what they showed in 2011.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2013, 06:57.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage
22. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 18:54 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 10:48:
Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2013, 05:51:
It's an IGN guy speaking, not a Ubisoft guy.
And? Still not listening to bullshit. No more lies

You could just watch the video on mute and judge it based on what you see.

11. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 05:51 Jerykk

It's an IGN guy speaking, not a Ubisoft guy.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Video
2. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Video May 11, 2013, 01:40 Jerykk

Not really sure how anyone could fund this given Dyack's involvement. If I recall correctly, he basically ran Silicon Knights into the ground. Now he's asking us to give him money based on good faith?  

9. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 01:37 Jerykk

Really hope this lives up to its potential. AC had a ton of potential too and then squandered it by making the game play itself.  

13973 Comments. 699 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo