Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13826 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief 4 Trailer
28. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 2, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 05:44:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 04:54:
If you're willing to completely dismiss a game simply because it has a different voice actor, it may be time to reassess your gaming priorities...

If it makes you feel better, there's a chance that they'll go back to the original voice actor if there's enough fan outrage. That's what happened with Hitman: Absolution.

And look how H:A turned out to be. You see, these are all signs of the shit that's to come; signs of the dumb approach the devs made when they sat around the table and first asked "So, what to do with this new project?".

Yes I'm completely dismissing this until it manages to catch my attention again, if it will. So far all I've heard and seen about this freaking title is horrifying, especially that dev interview last month.

It's too early for "mark my words: this will suck" but it's close. Very close, from the impressions I've had so far. I guess gameplay footage (ie a wallthrough) will slam the Maker's Hammer down for the actual verdict. Like it did with A:CM.

H:A wasn't a bad stealth game. It just wasn't a good Hitman game. It's entirely possible that the same will apply to Thief but as you said, it's too early to tell. At least wait until they release an actual gameplay walkthrough before declaring the death of the series.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > April F-f-f-foolin' 2013, Part 4
4. Re: April F-f-f-foolin' 2013, Part 4 Apr 2, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

Valve's writers are hilarious.  

24. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 2, 2013, 04:54 Jerykk

If you're willing to completely dismiss a game simply because it has a different voice actor, it may be time to reassess your gaming priorities...

If it makes you feel better, there's a chance that they'll go back to the original voice actor if there's enough fan outrage. That's what happened with Hitman: Absolution.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Apr 2, 2013, 04:14 Jerykk

Might want to slap a spoiler tag on that. In any case, I don't think there are two variations of the ending. There's just a little extra scene after the credits if you sit through them. This happens for everyone.  

21. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 2, 2013, 03:49 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 03:32:
Apparently reboot/origin story, I recall hearing about was a joke on us. If not it's even more ridiculous since Garret was an orphan child/tween living on the streets, not a fully geared high tech assass.

I also remember when they were making claims Garrent doesn't/never would have house/home. Yeah of course what self respecting high tech (apparently) thief has a base of operations or home. Hell, thieves probably don't eat, sleep or take craps.

Who knows maybe we will get a chance to buy dlc that completely changes the Lore and History...or the voice. Imagine having to pay dlc to get the real Garret voice.

Iirc these are the same people who broke their own ingame Lore in DXHR with their dlc.

How did the DX:HR DLC break the game's lore?

In any case, while I'm not a fan of changing an established character's voice or lore, neither of those things are what made the Thief games great. The Thief games were great because of their deep stealth mechanics, open-ended levels and intelligent (for the time) AI. If the new game retains those strengths, I'll be happy.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 1, 2013, 23:17 Jerykk

The frame time benchmarks seem iffy. 30-50% lower than the FPS benchmarks? If the FPS is 46 but the frame time calculation comes out at only 25 FPS, I'm not sure what value the frame time calculation even has because there's no way that a game running at 46 FPS feels like a game running at 25 FPS.  

12. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 1, 2013, 23:08 Jerykk

I liked the reference to ghosting and its correct definition (leaving no trace behind). Hopefully the actual game uses that definition, instead of the usual "ghosting is knocking everyone out quietly!"  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 01:10 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 22:57:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:26:
The only real RPG element in System Shock was the inventory, and even then the weapon inventory was the kind that computer gamers tend to hate nowadays (generic slots). It's been said repeatedly, but Bioshock plays a lot more like System Shock than System Shock 2 did.

EDIT: It really has to be said, System Shock was an extremely shooty game. The game threw ammunition at you like candy, and bad guys respawned at a sometimes hilariously high rate.

I don't remember much from System Shock 1... But System Shock 2 was definitely RPG oriented... choosing "class skills" before you even start (Basically Soldier (Warrior), Hacker (Stealth), Psionics (Magic User))... Stats to build and manage, skill points to unlock more in a tree, micromanage equipment, etc. etc.

Since I'm, more of an RPG fan than a Shooter fan, "Bioshock as a Spiritual Successor" was a large disappointment to me.

Standing on it's own... it was a decent shooter, at best.

Since I don't have a "Spiritual Successor" expectation from the series anymore... Bioshock Infinite being a marvelous shooter, is fine by me. Just not worth $60 to me.

SS2 definitely had RPG elements, but I wouldn't call it RPG-oriented. It was an action game more than anything else, with a healthy dose of survival horror and RPG elements.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Editor Video Seeks Fresh Meat
11. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Editor Video Seeks Fresh Meat Mar 31, 2013, 20:59 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 22:01:
To be fair, "true coop" is something that usually puts me way way off in a RPG... I play RPG solo, 100% not online. Never coop. I see what they try to do but until it reached the funding target I can't support it. The henchman don't have any dialog, world and event dynamics are missing etc. I mean it like this, if they pushed it out like it is now it would not be a very good RPG. Yeah there is the editor, but to make it a good RPG they will need at least twice what they ask. They know what they need to do.. but it's growing a bit slow and might actually have problems getting to 800k (which I think is what they really need)

Eh? By "henchman," do you mean "partner"? Because your AI partner does have dialogue. Also, there are world and event dynamics, though they are more systemic than scripted. For example, if an NPC sees you stealing, they'll run to the nearest guard and report you, at which point the guard will pursue and confront you. If you want to avoid this, you can just make sure you aren't seen while stealing or you can draw aggro from some nearby monsters, lure them into town and steal to your heart's content after the NPCs run away. This already provides more dynamic reactivity than every Bioware RPG ever made.

Also, the bulk of development is already finished. They just want this extra funding to expand and polish the game. They already have an engine, a tool set, game systems, UI and most of the assets completed. At this point, they'd just be adding more quests, characters and loot, like in DLC. $400k is plenty for DLC.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2013, 21:07.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:31 Jerykk

Rea1One wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 19:57:
I personally hope the level that was shown off in the BioShock Infinite 2011 demo is in the Season Pass DLC. As I was very disappointed all the early footage wasn't in the final game.

This is what im talking about BioShock Infinite E3 2011 Gameplay Demo

The E3 demo was basically just the game's prototype. Proof of concept before factoring in the numerous variables that go into developing a full game. The DLC will not be like that.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance Reveal Tomorrow
13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance Reveal Tomorrow Mar 31, 2013, 19:40 Jerykk

Mobile game!  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:40 Jerykk

Really curious as to what the BI DLC will entail. I can't really see any way they'd be able to integrate it into the main story.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 29, 2013, 22:34 Jerykk

Why do you refuse to buy from Gamefly?  

News Comments > Thief Teaser Trailer
13. Re: Thief Teaser Trailer Mar 28, 2013, 22:49 Jerykk

Do we really need trailers for trailers..? Marketing goes a bit a overboard these days. No wonder the big publishers are all suffering. When they spend $20-40 million on development and three times as much on marketing, it's going to be tough to make a profit.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough to make any judgment on the new Thief. The art style and premise are a bit too similar to Dishonored for my taste but if they deliver the strong stealth gameplay the series is known for, I'm okay with it. I'm hoping the trailer is actually a gameplay walkthrough.

News Comments > Next Week's Borderlands 2 Patch Details
4. Re: Next Week's Borderlands 2 Patch Details Mar 28, 2013, 22:43 Jerykk

Not really sure how people can play through BL2 with multiple characters. The game started dragging during my first playthrough and there's no way I'd ever make it through a second. Then again, I don't really care about loot or leveling so those probably aren't as motivating to me as they are to others.  

News Comments > PCGA on PC Market
6. Re: PCGA on PC Market Mar 28, 2013, 12:26 Jerykk

Why does the PCGA still exist..? It's completely and utterly worthless.  

News Comments > Square Enix Reports "Extraordinary Loss" - President Resigns
62. Re: Square Enix Reports Mar 28, 2013, 05:06 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 12:53:
From their financial presentation:

http://i.imgur.com/KOYYb2j.jpg

What a load of shit. Weak sales in NA and EU? Sounds like they're just scapegoating NA for the issues the JPN side of the company has been putting the entire company through. FFXIII Versus is a bottomless money pit. FF14 relaunch will bomb spectacularly, sub mmos are mostly dead and you can't relaunch a failed MMO and expect huge success. I would be amazed if it moved half as many units as the first release. Tomb Raider and Hitman performed really well for what they were, 3+m is nothing to sneeze at. Sleeping Dogs underperformed but that's to be expected for an IP reboot.

I'm pretty sure the "expected sales" figures were just that; expectations. Apparently the actual figures didn't meet those expectations. Not too surprising, considering how quickly Sleeping Dogs and Hitman dropped in price. I think Hitman went on sale for 50% off in less than a month after release.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Getting Rebranded?
10. Re: XCOM Shooter Getting Rebranded? Mar 28, 2013, 04:59 Jerykk

NamecaF wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 02:39:
Forget that it ever had any connection to "XCOM". Then watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVTqf0RHHc and tell me it doesn't look cool. Personally, I think going third person would be better than first person, but either way it would make an awesome squad-based tactical shooter with strategy and small RPG elements.

I thought it was kind of boring, actually. AI wasn't flexible enough and the combat wasn't very interesting. It's basically first-person Mass Effect in the 50's, only with less interesting enemies and abilities.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 28, 2013, 04:57 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 23:49:
Could someone remind me how Gamefly works. I'm interested in GUN, was hoping I would get a download code like GMG to use on Steam. Otherwise I'll just wait for it to go on sale, on Steam.

I read their site 'How it works'/FAQ but it seems to mostly talk about how there is a monthly fee to Rent/Play games.

Thanks.

You only get a Steam key if the store page explicitly says that Steam is required for the game. Otherwise, you just get to download the game using the Gamefly app, which isn't too bad.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
9. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 27, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

Guys, EA obviously doesn't believe in DRM anymore. That's why they require Origin for all their new games!  

13826 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo