Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14204 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations
35. Re: Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations Jan 16, 2015, 23:10 Jerykk

Watch_Dogs really doesn't deserve all the bile people spit at it. Were the graphics less impressive than the initial reveal? Sure, but they still looked good (especially when raining). Was the gameplay revolutionary? No, but it was solid and enjoyable if you tried to play stealthy and relied on hacking to complete objectives.

I think the big problem with Watch_Dogs is that the early game just isn't very interesting. Most of your cool abilities are locked behind the skill tree and most of the interesting missions happen later in the game. Also, the traffic traps system wasn't super intuitive and you had very limited battery power at the start of the game, so most players would trigger traps at the wrong time, miss the pursuing cars and then be unable to trigger any more traps for the rest of the chase.

It's a shame most people didn't stick with it because the hacking stuff was pretty fun later in the game. The online hacking was also very cool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons IP Sold
6. Re: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons IP Sold Jan 16, 2015, 23:01 Jerykk

Not sure what the point of buying this IP would be. The game was great but pretty obscure so the name doesn't really have any value. Also, given the events of the game, I don't see how they can make any sequels to it.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released
3. Re: Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 12:35 Jerykk

This seems kind of half-assed. No new content aside from some generic missions?  

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
25. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 12:26 Jerykk

Recommended specs seem a bit low. Those are probably the specs you need to run at High detail, 1080p, 30 FPS.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2015, 00:52 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 22:43:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 20:25:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:39:
REHD is going to bring back great feelings of the golden age of pc gaming. Seems to be a great new theme, especially with devs making games like D:OS and Wasteland 2. Now is the new "best time" to be a pc gamer.

Wha? RE was never a PC series. Some of the games were ported to PC but they were console games first and foremost. Make no mistake, I think now is a great time for PC gaming but "RE" and "golden age of pc gaming" don't really have anything to do with each other.

Who said anything about it being a pc series? Replaying it on the pc will remind me of the golden years of pc gaming because the last time I played it was in '97 (one of the best years for pc gaming) on my pc! (not on console)

Just a weird association, I guess. When I think of the golden age of PC gaming, I think of Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Quake, Duke 3D, Mechwarrior, Interstate 76, Carmageddon, etc.

News Comments > Dying Light Videos
11. Re: Dying Light Videos Jan 11, 2015, 20:40 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 12:23:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 04:11:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 03:47:
Not sure how I feel about the day to night changes, since I can't imagine any convincing lore. At least, Romero followed D&D rulesets for the most part. It's just having constantly respawning mobs and fighting them over and over and over, is extremely immersion breaking.

Not that hard to come up with a reason for zombies to be more dangerous at night. Maybe they are weakened by UV radiation or maybe their eyes are very sensitive to light.

Also, respawning zombies is kind of important. If they didn't respawn, you could just clear them all out and then there would be nothing hindering you from completing objectives. Killing zombies is a means to an end, not the end itself.
If that works for you, that's cool. It doesn't come close for me, a zombie is a being which can be killed. It's a shell of a human, rotted, broken and decaying. There are only so many humans, there for only so many zombies. Once you kill one, they don't get a 3rd-infinity lives. It's one of the cheapest game designs, the majority of games (90% +), do not use.

Since Dead Island was Coop, I let it slide and probably will with Dying Light. It was really the only Coop game in a long, long time. The fact they added RPGish to was amazing, in the sense it's exactly what gamers have been asking, for more than a decade. A classic example is The Elder Scroll series. I still remember cliffyb (the fool that killed Coop) in this very forum, lying his ass off about why Unreal, wasn't followed my a Coop game instead of only the pvp UT. Remember what he said, "because the scripting was too hard.". There wasn't a damn thing in Dead Island scripting too hard, certainly no more than any mmog pve.

Why is respawning zombies a cheap design? What's the alternative? They don't respawn and you just kill them all, leaving you with a huge, empty city? Do you really think that doing missions in an empty city would be interesting? Do you think there would be any tension or suspense when you know you're completely safe?

CRPGS are way, way more complex than action games (like Dead Island). How do you handle dialogue options? How do you handle branching? What if one player decides to support one faction while the other player supports an opposing faction? Dead Island didn't have any dialogue choices or really any meaningful choices at all. You either did missions or you didn't. Divinity: Original Sin was a co-op CRPG but didn't really let you affect the world in the ways that games like Fallout and Wasteland do. Dialogue options were handled through a minigame and while that worked for D:OS, I don't see it working for more serious game like the Elder Scrolls.

As for why Unreal's successors were PVP instead of co-op, the answer seems fairly obvious. Co-ops don't have longevity. If you want people to play your game for more than a month, you need competitive play. That's why Valve added PVP to L4D. That's why nobody is still playing Portal 2's co-op. PVP will always have longer legs than co-op.

Making blanket statements like "respawning enemies is lazy" or "every game should have co-op" is silly. It ignores the numerous valid reasons for or against such design choices simply because you personally like/dislike said design choices. Context is everything. Not every game benefits from co-op and not every game is hurt by respawning enemies.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2015, 20:25 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:39:
REHD is going to bring back great feelings of the golden age of pc gaming. Seems to be a great new theme, especially with devs making games like D:OS and Wasteland 2. Now is the new "best time" to be a pc gamer.

Wha? RE was never a PC series. Some of the games were ported to PC but they were console games first and foremost. Make no mistake, I think now is a great time for PC gaming but "RE" and "golden age of pc gaming" don't really have anything to do with each other.

News Comments > Resident Evil HD Specs
11. Re: Resident Evil HD Specs Jan 11, 2015, 20:24 Jerykk

Kobalt wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:32:
I don't think you guys quite understand how easy these old survivor horror games would be without tank controls. The game was designed with the idea that you can't quickly turn around and aim. I suggest you put the game on the lowest setting to simulate non tank controls.

That's the reason why I never really cared for them. If your game is only challenging or "scary" because it has shitty controls and cameras, you've already failed.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday
17. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 20:22 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:02:
Why are video game developers continuing to use KickStarter? It's regional. If they want world-wide backing go with https://www.indiegogo.com/.

Because Indiegogo gives any money raised, regardless of if the overall goal is hit. Much higher chance of being scammed. Most Kickstarters also accept Paypal, so that should work for all countries?

That's not entirely accurate. Indiegogo offers both options: developer gets whatever money is pledged or developer only gets money if goal is met.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2015, 16:57 Jerykk

Cheaters and cheat-makers probably buy multiple copies of CS because they get banned so often.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday
9. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 16:55 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 16:43:
Dragonfall (+Directors Cut) is NOT free. Costs 15 just like the base-game (also 15) on Steam

So uh, why do they need a KS?

Backers got Dragonfall and the DC for free (which was very generous of HBS). Considering that backers would be the ones most likely to buy those things, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't sell all that well.

I'm completely fine with HBS going back to KS. After Dragonfall, I have complete faith in their ability to craft another great campaign and will gladly support them in doing so.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 11, 2015, 04:45 Jerykk

Why would you need a gamepad if you're going to use tank movement anyway..? A keyboard works fine for that. A = rotate left, D = rotate right, W = move forward, S = move backwards. Done. Not sure what you'd use the mouse for, aside from left click to attack and right click to enter combat mode.  

News Comments > Dying Light Videos
9. Re: Dying Light Videos Jan 10, 2015, 04:11 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 03:47:
Not sure how I feel about the day to night changes, since I can't imagine any convincing lore. At least, Romero followed D&D rulesets for the most part. It's just having constantly respawning mobs and fighting them over and over and over, is extremely immersion breaking.

Not that hard to come up with a reason for zombies to be more dangerous at night. Maybe they are weakened by UV radiation or maybe their eyes are very sensitive to light.

Also, respawning zombies is kind of important. If they didn't respawn, you could just clear them all out and then there would be nothing hindering you from completing objectives. Killing zombies is a means to an end, not the end itself.

DangerDog wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 15:08:
The environment looked extremely repetitive as did the zombie smash gameplay.

I thought this was going to be more along the lines of a Grand Theft Auto type open city with zombies in it. This is just a reskinned version of Dead Island with Parkour like movement system.

You act like the parkour system is some simple little gimmick they tacked on or something. No, the parkour system significantly changes how you move around, how you deal with enemies and how levels are designed.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 10, 2015, 03:49 Jerykk

Would be great if people actually read articles before posting reactionary comments. Multiplayer games inevitably require tuning and bug-fixing post-launch because there are simply too many variables to test beforehand. No amount of QA will be able to replicate real-world conditions. Expecting a multiplayer game to be perfectly balanced and bug-free at launch is fairly absurd and has never, ever happened. Quake had patches, UT had patches, Tribes had patches, CS had patches, Ultima Online had patches, Everquest had patches, Starcraft had patches, C&C had patches, Diablo had patches, etc.

Would it make you feel better if they released the game and offered no post-launch support? If they're going to patch the game anyway, they might as well continue testing it and fixing bugs while the game is being manufactured and distributed.

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
20. Re: Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed Jan 9, 2015, 23:17 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 22:52:
They are probably intentionally keeping a low profile on the PC release so they can justify no PC version for GTA VI if sales suck. I will definitely be contributing to sales sucking because the only way I'll get this is by yaaaarrrr matey piracy.
I'm done supporting even just timed console exclusives. They either treat us PC gamers equal or I'll treat them like shit back.
The next game I'll pirate after GTA V is Rise of the Tomb Raider whenever that finally becomes available on PC.
Not giving a single cent to those fuckers who believe they must dictate what device we play our games on.

I don't think piracy is going to persuade publishers to support the PC.

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
11. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 7, 2015, 23:34 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:00:
lol..called it. Every year it seems like there is at least one well known title, franchise, or publisher that has their stuff pulled from Steam for whatever reason at the turn of the year. Video game sales and distribution rights seems so unnecessarily complicated to me.

Except they usually don't come back. See Wolfenstein (2009), Deadpool, Dragon Age 2, Prey, Clive Barker's Jericho, FUEL, etc.

News Comments > Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"
17. Re: Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines Jan 7, 2015, 23:29 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 20:52:
I don't see how 'Living Room PC' is a sensible alternative to the Steam Machines brand - it's rather vague.

As for the HL3 mentions, I'd be surprised if HL3 isn't released to coincide with the launch of Steam Machines (or whatever they're called) and bundled free with them. I can't imagine Valve has just been sitting on the Half-Life brand for no particular reason. Further, I would expect an Orange Box style bundle with other titles - maybe a new Portal (if HL3 doesn't already merge with that universe), L4D or CS. Valve has also shown a strong interest in VR, meaning we could see Oculus Rift support as a major feature.

Regardless, Valve really needs to step up its game. Fans don't want a yearly release like COD but the last instalment was eight years ago. That's pretty ridiculous.

I'd be surprised if HL3 or any big title was announced to coincide with the official Steam Machine launch. Valve doesn't really seem to care about that kind of stuff. Also, there's no way HL3, Portal 3, L4D3 or any other high-profile sequel will be a PC exclusive (let alone a Steam Machine exclusive), so there's not much point in announcing them at the same time. If anything, the game announcement(s) would just overshadow the Steam Machine announcements.

News Comments > Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot
2. Re: Borderlands Creative Director Joins Robot Jan 7, 2015, 02:55 Jerykk

F2P and P2W are not synonymous. DotA2 is F2P and the only things you can buy are cosmetic items. As with all things, it's a matter of implementation.

Also, the existence of Unchained doesn't mean OMD3 won't get made. Unchained is a spin-off.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 23:42 Jerykk

garrywong wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 23:18:
30% makes sense when you're a big-time dev selling a big-time game, and steam makes sure your game is presented prominently in the store.

But when you're an indie little game and steam is nothing more than a distribution platform for you, 30% seems a little steep.

When your game is on Steam, your potential sales skyrocket. Steam is by far the biggest distributor of games on PC. Taking a 30% loss on each sale is more than made up for by the sheer volume of sales you gain.

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
41. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 4, 2015, 18:49 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 01:18:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 22:38:
So to sum up:
- DLC is evil.
- Money is evil.
- Everything should be free (except for DLC which shouldn't exist).

Gotcha.

Honestly, it's all true.

DLC is evil. DLC is a necessary evil which allows companies to recoup the investment they made in the base game, and allow enough profit for the the development of future games.

Money is evil. In games it is. It has a nasty corrupting influence on the way games are developed. It changes gameplay, distribution, design, graphics, etc. etc. Is this even a question?

Everything should be free. Well...that's a bit Utopian, but I imagine a future society where an abundance of riches and technology provides base needs, and people only work that wish to exceed that. But for many, many people that base level would suffice if it allowed them to pursue non-material dreams. I imagine game-making to be one of the many arts that like-minded groups would spontaneously come together to produce, and these games would be much different than they are today. We already see evidence of this in the modding community where passionate people donate their time part time to develop mods like FAForever, Black Mesa, and many others. In a Utopian society people would be able to dedicate their entire lives to such pursuits, and the games would be pure; unfettered from the need to make the producers any money. This is the ideal.

Why is DLC evil? If it adds meaningful and worthwhile content to the game, is that bad? Are expansion packs bad too? I thought the DLC for Dishonored was great and worth every penny. If it hadn't been made because someone arbitrarily decided that post-launch content was evil, I would have missed out on a quality experience.

As for money, you are aware that developers have bills to pay? Money is how game development gets funded. Without money, your favorite games would not exist. No Planescape: Torment, no Fallout, no Elder Scrolls, no Dishonored, no Far Cry, no Half-Life, no Wasteland, no Divinity, etc. Are there developers willing to work solely for passion and expect nothing in return? Sure, but those aren't the developers making the games most people love.

You mention the mod community and that's a good example of why money is important. Most ambitious mods never see the light of day. Game development is hard and when you're not getting paid, it's even harder to justify spending your time on it. Even if you persevere and eventually finish the project, it's never going to be as polished or as big as games that have funding. Modders are never going to make the next Skyrim or the next Arkham or the next Assassin's Creed. There's a reason why the Black Mesa guys are going to release a paid, standalone version of the mod. The funding will allow them to expand and improve the mod beyond what was viable without funding.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2015, 18:59.

14204 Comments. 711 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo