Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video
17. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 19, 2015, 01:55 Jerykk

There's no reason to believe eidos believes in Deus Ex other than shipping another generic console game. Without the Deus Ex pedigree I'm not sure how much the original would have sold. Just like JUMPING in Thief or forced FIGHT bosses in DXHR, it's quite obvious they are trying to force as much generic down our throats as possible.

I'm pretty sure most of the people who bought DX:HR had never played and probably never even heard of the original DX (just like the vast majority of people who bought FO3 had never played or heard of the series before then). DX:HR was a great game and faithful to the original in many ways. It definitely wasn't "another generic console game."

Also, the original DX had forced boss fights (Maggie Chow, Walton Simmons, Bob Page) and they were just as crappy as the ones in the original. Sure, there were exploits you could use to bypass some of the fights but those were never intended by the designers.

Finally, do you really think that Square mandated the automated traversal system in Thief? Or is it more likely that the developers saw the popularity of AC and figured that they should copy its traversal system? And if Square didn't care about the DX brand, why bother spending all this money reviving it? Why not simply abandon it like so many other old IPs, like Anachronox?

Looks like still has the same problems as HR, like giving XP for every little thing you do. You get 10-20xp for each enemy you KO/kill, but if you ghost past them presumably you get nothing. Not surprising, since their definition of ghosting is KOing every enemy.

Yeah, that was disappointing. I suspect the optimal playstyle will be non-lethal stealth hacker again. Really wish they'd stop using the term "ghosting" when they clearly have no idea what it actually means. That said, if this is anything like DX:HR, there will be no shortage of XP even if you do ghost your way through the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 03:15 Jerykk

when the first 5 or 6 battlefie games launched without a singleplayer portion, no one batted an eyelash. now they include fully fleshed out 12 hour singleplayer experiences, and this is "piecemealing"?. Every game has shipped with around a dozen maps, and then DLC comes later, this goes back to 1942. and guess what? it goes back way longer than that! "why Valve really sold HL2 piecemeal, because they added opposing forces and blueshift after the fact!"

Opposing Forces and Blue Shift were expansions for HL1, not HL2.

It's also worth noting that the SP campaigns for HL1 and 2 were longer and far better designed than the campaigns for any BF game ever. The SP campaigns for games like BF and CoD consist primarily of set-pieces and cutscenes so the marketing people have something to show. Compelling level design and interesting scenarios? Not so much.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
10. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 03:07 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure this game will have a pretty healthy lifespan. Blizzard already has a built-in fanbase and the game looks tailored for eSports.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
5. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 23:24 Jerykk

Grokk wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 22:25:
This is the first video I've seen about this game, and I have to say that I'm completely underwhelmed. The graphics style says "lowest common denominator" and the gameplay doesn't really bring anything new and exciting the to table.

For a company as cashed up as these guys are, I expect a lot more than this. It's like they don't have any decent artsy/graphicsy people at all, or that there's this one person overseeing everything and he only likes a particular style.

Lastly, FPS with a controller is cancer. Even when it's only a video.

Wow, where to begin.

1) Just because the presentation is stylized (as opposed to realistic) doesn't make it bad. It's actually very well done, particularly the character designs. Learn to separate your opinion from objective analysis. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's poorly done.

2) The gameplay does plenty of new stuff. Each character is completely unique, with their own weapons and abilities. There aren't many shooters that do that. There's also a wide variety of projectile behavior, from hitscan to arcs to beams to AoEs. Again, not something you see in a lot of shooters these days.

3) This was played with MKB, not a gamepad. Note the MKB prompts and the quick and accurate camera movements.

You really should watch more videos before passing premature judgment.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2015, 23:00 Jerykk

I actually thought the PC Gaming Show was better than most of the other conferences. Felt more natural, with actual gameplay footage and developers answering questions instead of going off on pretentious monologues. It was also way more informative than any of the other press conferences.  

News Comments > Bethesda E3 Showcases
16. Re: Bethesda E3 Showcases Jun 17, 2015, 04:48 Jerykk

The hell video is way better than the first one. Much more enemy variety, lots more motion and far more authentic to the originals.

That said, I still think Shadow Warrior 2 looks a lot better than D4.

Check it out

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced
6. Re: Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced Jun 17, 2015, 03:17 Jerykk

What I really loved is how Spencer started talking about how certain experiences are good for PC and others are good for the living room (as if the two are mutually exclusive). I seem to recall that exact same argument when they talked about Alan Wake being an Xbox exclusive. Lo and behold, Alan Wake came to PC and was far more enjoyable due to superior image quality, silky smooth framerate and superior controls.

MS really hasn't changed at all. The only reason they even bothered to show up at the PC Gaming Show was to promote Windows 10, which also happens to be the only reason why the Gears port is being rereleased on PC and why Fable Legends is also going to be on PC. MS is okay with porting games they don't really care about to PC but it'll be a cold day in hell before we see Gears 4 or Halo 5 or Forza 6 on PC.

News Comments > Bethesda E3 Showcases
11. Re: Bethesda E3 Showcases Jun 17, 2015, 01:04 Jerykk

LittleMe wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 22:05:
siapnar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 21:34:
What a great presenter Todd Howard is. Absolutely killed it for the Fallout presentation

Yes he is great at it.

One thing though.. Every time he says it's coming out for consoles he says "and PC" with a lower tone and a hint of disdain. Or maybe I'm just hearing that. Phone games, console games with a phone-ish interface (Skyrim), oh yeah, and PC. He did the same 'and PC' tone with the Skyrim announcement too.

Not really hearing it. Skyrim has sold around 8 million units on PC and Bethesda uses mods for inspiration (the whole settlement feature was a mod for FO3).

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced
1. Re: Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced Jun 17, 2015, 00:06 Jerykk

So, minor update to the original port? Thanks Microsoft! Now how about Gears 2, 3 and 4?  

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
16. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 16, 2015, 04:15 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 03:46:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:15:
Probably a cash-in. Already have the engine, tools and systems done. Just a matter of adding some new assets and VO.

You say that like it's a minor thing. They probably took a loss on the first game just to build the engine and everything. I'm not going to fault them if they use the same engine to make another game and actually make some profit as long as the quality is there. And having the engine in place allows them to focus more on story and quality.

I'm fine with them making another game. Just think it's kind of lame that they didn't hire Obsidian to do it and instead farmed it out to one of their random internal studios.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 00:24 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 22:46:
It's not possible unless they have completely neutered the creation tools. A simple NPC mod could murder a PCs performance, let alone the resource strapped consoles. Fucking weird, this has to be some PR dance.

Pretty sure the ported mods are going to be moderated.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
10. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 15, 2015, 23:15 Jerykk

Probably a cash-in. Already have the engine, tools and systems done. Just a matter of adding some new assets and VO.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
56. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 03:09 Jerykk

Back on topic, it looks like they've replaced the skill system with a perk system, ala Skyrim. The official press release includes this:

You’re S.P.E.C.I.A.L!
Be whoever you want with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. character system. From a Power Armored soldier to the charismatic smooth talker, you can choose from hundreds of Perks and develop your own playstyle.

Makes sense, considering that Skyrim was easily their best-selling game and they've been streamlining their RPGs since Morrowind. If this is true, then skill checks are gone unless they are attribute-based.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2015, 03:28.

55. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 03:00 Jerykk

I'm not making excuses, I'm making predictions based on Bethesda's history of RPGs.

And again, mods aren't just about improving graphics. UI is a major area where Bethesda fails every time, as is game balance and bugs. Those three issues wouldn't magically disappear if Fallout 4 used id Tech 5 or 6.

Also, for a game of Fallout's scope (which is far greater than DA:I's), switching to a new engine and rewriting all the systems and tools used for dialogue, quest design, AI, physics, UI, audio, etc, would not be trivial and would push the game back for at least a year. And even then, it might not support mods which are needed to address the inevitable design-related (not engine-related) issues that Bethesda RPGs always have. Sticking with Gamebryo allows Bethesda to iterate and improve upon the systems and tools they've already built, as opposed to simply trying to make them functional.

Finally, id Tech 5 is pretty broken. ATI users still have issues with it and texture streaming is still problematic, as are obscenely large file sizes due to hugely inefficient MegaTextures that look like ass up close. id Tech 5 is a total failure compared to UE4, Frostbite or pretty much any other engine out there. Your fixation on visuals is causing you to overlook the many other needs of development.

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
15. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 02:45 Jerykk

Executions seem pretty gimmicky and they really should have played this with M/KB so that they wouldn't need to pop up the weapon wheel every 5 seconds. Weapons also felt strangely unsatisfying.  

53. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 02:17 Jerykk

Ideally, Bethesda RPGs wouldn't need mods. But they do, so I'm glad that FO4 is going to use a mod-friendly engine that modders can quickly start working with.  

51. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 02:02 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:35:
It didn't matter if the landscapes in RAGE were accessible or not, they were there, just cause the game puts up an invisible wall doesn't mean that those areas weren't being rendered, and could just as easily be accessible. Tech 5 was visually stunning. To have non tiled textures everywhere meant that the artists could just go buckwild and paint whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted. I'm very sad that it never took off (technical reasons, it was built for last-gen consoles almost exclusively afterall).

And i'm surprised to hear you say that the new DOOM visuals didn't impress, i thought that they looked a full generation better than FO4's visuals. Still not as impressive as other things i've seen, but the dynamic lights, the particle effects, the tesselation, the super high-poly models, the very intense shaders... all were way more visually impressive than FO4 by a very wide margin. almost incompatible.

also, I don't care about mods. keeping mods around is because the developers are lazy and won't put the effort into actually making the game look like it's made in 2015, they'll let their unpaid fans do that work for them. it's a good racket. Did you ever see the optional "ultra high rez" texturepack for PC for skyrim? it was a joke. they develop for consoles. the PC's modding crowd are %100 responsible for making skyrim a beauty to behold.

I feel like you didn't actually play RAGE. Sure, it looked good from a distance but get up close and things looked awful. TNO fixed this for the most part but at the cost of requiring 40 gigs, which is ludicrous for a linear corridor shooter. Imagine how obscenely huge an open-world RPG would be if it used id Tech 5. I'll take Gamebryo, thanks.

As for mods, I can't believe you're actually arguing against them. We already know that Bethesda sucks at various things. Some can't be fixed by mods (writing, quest design). Others can (bugs, UI, balance, textures, particles, etc). Removing mod support wouldn't result in a better game. It would just result in a game that can't be fixed.

47. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:30 Jerykk

Of much greater concern than visuals is the apparent lack of skills in the game. During the character creation, there were only attributes. No skills. Not sure if they just skipped the skills for the demo or if the skill system has been removed entirely, but given the changes to the dialogue system, I wouldn't be surprised if the skill system is a thing of the past.  

46. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:26 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:11:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:05:
Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:43:
and silly me, i overlooked your main argument, that an engine like BF4's just can't handle stuff like quests, inventories, RPG stuff etc etc etc.

Dragon Age: Inquisition uses Frostbite 3 engine, same as BF4.

*check

also, the fact that they advertised ID's Tech 6(66) engine RIGHT before the FO4 presentation is just a further slap in the face. How gorgeous that engine looked, and they OWN it. lol. and don't say that doom is a corridor shooter, it's apples and oranges, the engine's designed for different things.

need i remind you of RAGE? which ran on ID's Tech 5 engine? and if you squint looks like almost an IDENTICAL world as the Fallout universe? vast post-apocalyptic landscapes?

*mate

If id Tech 6 is anything like the previous iteration, then Fallout 4 would require approximately 5 TB of disk space because MegaTextures. Also, are there any mods for id Tech 5 games? I'm pretty sure id Tech 6 won't be mod-friendly.

I'm glad Bethesda is sticking with Gamebryo. Mods have always been essential for their RPGs and FO4 will be no different. There will be mods that improve textures, meshes, animations, particles, etc, in addition to fixing the UI, improving game balance and adding much-needed features. It's a good trade-off.

On a side note, saying that FO4 is virtually identical to FO3 is pretty silly. The lighting in FO4 is way, way better and the textures are obviously higher-res. You really need to go back and replay FO3.

the textures are marginally higher rez. look at the scene I keep linking, does that look high-rez to you? and yes it looks marginally better than FO3, but these are tacked-on improvements to a decaying engine. they're putting a new coat of paint on a house that's falling apart. The nuts and bolts of the engine are still ooooold. and as with DA:I it's been shown loud and clear that in 2015 you CAN make a videogame with an engine that's been made in the last 5 years, and your game won't just fall apart when you open the box.

And why would ID tech 5 require 5TB of data? did you play RAGE? those were some HUUUUGE open landscapes. Also, it seemed to be good enough for the xbox360 and ps3, so why not ps4 and xbone with FO4? this argument makes no sense.

The landscapes in RAGE weren't that big and were mostly inaccessible. The areas you did have access to were pretty small and barren. In addition, textures were god awful up close. Worse than Oblivion's. Hell, maybe even worse than Morrowind's. There is really no reason why RAGE should require 24 gigs of space. There's definitely no reason why W:TNO, a linear corridor shooter, should require 44 gigs. Point is, id Tech 5 is an awful engine and I doubt id Tech 6 will be very different. The new Doom demo certainly didn't impress with its visuals and will probably require 80 gigs of space.

And most importantly, are there any mods for games that use id Tech 5?

36. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:05 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:43:
and silly me, i overlooked your main argument, that an engine like BF4's just can't handle stuff like quests, inventories, RPG stuff etc etc etc.

Dragon Age: Inquisition uses Frostbite 3 engine, same as BF4.

*check

also, the fact that they advertised ID's Tech 6(66) engine RIGHT before the FO4 presentation is just a further slap in the face. How gorgeous that engine looked, and they OWN it. lol. and don't say that doom is a corridor shooter, it's apples and oranges, the engine's designed for different things.

need i remind you of RAGE? which ran on ID's Tech 5 engine? and if you squint looks like almost an IDENTICAL world as the Fallout universe? vast post-apocalyptic landscapes?

*mate

If id Tech 6 is anything like the previous iteration, then Fallout 4 would require approximately 5 TB of disk space because MegaTextures. Also, are there any mods for id Tech 5 games? I'm pretty sure id Tech 6 won't be mod-friendly.

I'm glad Bethesda is sticking with Gamebryo. Mods have always been essential for their RPGs and FO4 will be no different. There will be mods that improve textures, meshes, animations, particles, etc, in addition to fixing the UI, improving game balance and adding much-needed features. It's a good trade-off.

On a side note, saying that FO4 is virtually identical to FO3 is pretty silly. The lighting in FO4 is way, way better and the textures are obviously higher-res. You really need to go back and replay FO3.

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo