Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13934 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure May 10, 2014, 03:12 Jerykk

I wasn't very impressed by the demo. Felt like a mediocre adventure game from the mid-90's.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Capcom Financials
2. Re: Capcom Financials May 10, 2014, 03:10 Jerykk

If Dead Rising 3 had been a multiplatform game, it would have no doubt sold more than 1.2 million.

I still don't understand why publishers even bother with platform-exclusives. Sure, the platform owner will give you lots of free marketing but ultimately, your sales still will be lower than they would otherwise be.

News Comments > Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+
4. Re: Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+ May 10, 2014, 03:07 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:03:
1.2 across both major consoles after a month, worldwide? That's fucking pathetic.

How so? Dark Souls was never GTA or CoD. It's still a relatively obscure series with a niche audience. $1 million in a month for that kind of game is good.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
56. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 8, 2014, 03:33 Jerykk

There has never been any guarantee that a game will be finished. Plenty of high-profile, full-price games have been released in broken and unfinished states. X: Rebirth, Sword of the Stars 2, every MMO ever made... when you buy a game sight unseen, you get what you pay for. Early Access at least tells you straight up that the product you're buying is buggy and unfinished. Anyone buying said product should be well aware of the risks involved. If they aren't willing to accept those risks, they shouldn't buy it.

Read reviews, watch videos and make informed purchases. That's how you avoid broken and unfinished games. If more people did that, more developers would recognize the importance of quality and consumer trust.

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords in August
6. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords in August May 8, 2014, 02:52 Jerykk

Not sure why Deep Silver is bothering with these CGI teasers. The CGI teaser for Risen 2 was at least interesting. The two teasers released thus far for R3 have been generic and forgettable. I also wonder why they're even bothering releasing the game on consoles. None of the Risen games have sold well on consoles. The series has always appealed almost exclusively to the small PC audience that played the Gothic games.  

News Comments > Bound by Flame Launch Trailer
16. Re: Bound by Flame Launch Trailer May 6, 2014, 04:16 Jerykk

I'm not expecting much. Mars: War Log was mediocre at best and this doesn't really look any different. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 5, 2014, 03:08 Jerykk

RAGE does look good... from a distance. The shortcomings of MegaTextures become all too apparent up close. In order to make MegaTextures look good up close, you have to have even bigger textures, resulting in ludicrous file sizes. Do the benefits of having completely unique textures for every surface outweigh the burden of huge file sizes? I'd say no. I think RAGE and Wolfenstein would look just as good (and probably better) if they used tiling textures due to the fact that tiled textures hold up a lot better up close. They would also require 5 times less HDD space.  

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 4, 2014, 21:06 Jerykk

GamersGate is selling Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $5 (Deluxe edition with 2 extra side missions is a dollar more). Definitely worth picking up if you liked the previous games. I hated Conviction and Blacklist was a welcome return to form. It probably ranks as the second best SC game after Chaos Theory.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TCSCB/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist

EDIT: Whoops, look like it was a pricing mistake or something. Game's not even available anymore.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 00:32.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
31. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 05:38 Jerykk

I seriously doubt that this will be a new UT game. More likely that UT2004 or UT3 will go F2P like Quake Live.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
40. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 05:36 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 2, 2014, 16:16:
I'm all for high quality textures but RAGE was 25GB and it looked like ass - worse than any game with conventional texturing. The textures in the trailer for this don't look good at all, so I have no idea why it would need so much space.

If a game has 50GB worth of textures and looks better as a result then I'm all for it but it's an insult if the game looks bad.

The idea is that the engine uses MegaTextures, which are gigantic but allow you to use a single texture for a whole environment, as opposed to numerous, smaller textures. The theoretical benefit is that you can avoid repetition and make every surface and detail look unique. The reality is that this uniqueness doesn't hold much value to most players and the textures look bad up close because they're being scaled up to cover huge areas. I imagine the textures in this game are even bigger than the ones in RAGE to help compensate for that shortcoming, hence the doubled HDD space requirement.

I really don't understand why anyone would choose to use id Tech 5 after the numerous issues it had in RAGE. Much like id Tech 4, it is a failure as an engine and should have died with the game that debuted it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews May 2, 2014, 23:37 Jerykk

Have you actually played Wasteland 2 yet? From what I've read, people are pretty happy about it.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal May 1, 2014, 23:57 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2014, 06:25:
I don't understand how they could fuck up this IP so bad. Sexy vampire inflicting shockingly gory violence on Nazis really hooked me when I was younger... Where did they go wrong? A victim of political correctness maybe?

This. Butchering Nazis while they screamed and begged for help never got old. BloodRayne 2 lost this by focusing on generic enemies with no personality.

News Comments > NOLF Trademarks Filed
9. Re: NOLF Trademarks Filed May 1, 2014, 23:53 Jerykk

Hope at last! Really hope the NOLF games come to Steam. Contract JACK I can do without. It was basically NOLF, only without the memorable characters, funny writing, stealth elements or interesting level design.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 30, 2014, 02:44 Jerykk

Consortium was great. It's basically an adventure game with a lot of player agency and branching narratives. There's also a ton of lore if you're interested in that. Now that the bugs and other issues have been sorted it, it's definitely worth a look.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer
18. Re: Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2014, 22:57 Jerykk

The aiming looks suspiciously like auto-aim but I'll assume that's optional on the PC. I don't like how he snipes with a silenced pistol at the 2:00 mark, auto-aim auto-shmaim, a pistol couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that range and a silenced one wouldn't penetrate wet bread.

If you're looking for realism in a Wolfenstein game, you may be barking up the wrong tree...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 28, 2014, 02:06 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 23:55:
Quboid wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 12:22:
J wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 11:27:
I'll buy DayZ when it's finished. ... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
By which time, many players will have moved on and those that remain have no patience for annoying newbies and spend their time moaning about them.

I think DayZ's business model will kill it as a game. But make lots of money so who cares?!

Any game coming out of that studio in the future, and those programmers, and the directors, etc will care when they are marked for life because of a bad product associated with them.

I can't believe people continue to buy a game that has no game in it. Lets call it Seinfeld Z.

It's a multiplayer sandbox. The developers give players the tools they need to create their own experiences. People enjoy the emergent gameplay that results. I'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this.

News Comments > Devolver Not Drawing Blood
7. Re: Devolver Not Drawing Blood Apr 26, 2014, 22:17 Jerykk

They're probably better off just making a spiritual successor to Blood. The IP itself isn't that important. It's the experience that people want.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 26, 2014, 22:08 Jerykk

I think it's mostly lack of coverage that killed this (along with many other) Kickstarter. Nobody's going to pledge if they don't know your game exists. It also doesn't help that the game seems pretty generic and doesn't really cater to an under-served market. Seems like a solid game but doesn't stand out in a way that would make people back it.  

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
25. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 16:47 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 11:28:
Obsidian is rolling in dough after South Park now, so yes, it's warranted to call them sleazy. They can easily find work to bring money in. It might not be what they want it exactly but it'll make them more than enough to do what they want. Which is what businesses are supposed to do. Otherwise it constitutes Moral Hazard. If you think those who can easily afford to bankroll their own projects but choose not to isn't sleazy then you have a very skewed moral compass.

Why would Obsidian be rolling in dough after South Park? If anything, they probably lost money on South Park because it was delayed so many times. It's not uncommon for devs to have to cover their own costs if their projects have gone far beyond the original contractual deadlines and South Park certainly fits that criteria. As for royalties, I highly doubt they've seen any. Most publishers won't offer royalties until they've completely recouped their expenses on the project. Throw in the licensing fees for the IP, the switch in publishers and the prolonged development period and you likely have a zero royalty situation. They might see some money in a few years if the game continues to sell well but I wouldn't count on it.

Your posts show no understanding of how game development actually works.

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
16. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:53 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 04:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 03:04:
And you can be sure that in addition to the KS funds, they added whatever extra they had lying around. This is a passion project. They'll be lucky to cover that, especially in an era where no one wants to pay more than $5 for a game. It might be years before they make a profit, and you can guarantee it won't enough to fund their next game. Whatever they're doing next, if it's not mass market and publisher funded, they'll need to KS it.

This is bullshit, dude. Obsidian fully intends to establish Infinity engine v2.0 with PoE. Passion project my ass (OK, maybe a little but seriously...). They are hoping to capitalize on it big time by either making sequels or spin-offs themselves or licensing the engine to 3rd parties. They want all of the BG, Icewind Dale, PST multi-million $$$ action and then some. PoE is the showcase and if all goes well they'll make some major dough by laying the groundwork with PoE.

Good for them though that their "we're on bread and water, have a shirt to spare?" PR seems to be working on some people. They are going to need that kind of spin, too, when they return for second takings on KS.

You are aware that PoE uses Unity, right? An engine they are licensing themselves? I'm pretty sure they'd have trouble licensing it out to other developers. The reason they chose Unity instead of their own proprietary engine (Onyx) is because Unity is cheap, easy to use and has a great store where you can buy code and assets (cheaply) that save you a significant amount of time. Pretty much the exact opposite of creating their own engine for licensing purposes.

As for sequels and spin-offs... really? PoE is an untested IP. It may flop when it comes out. Obsidian would have to be moronic to assume that the game is going to sell millions and become a huge IP that would actually justify sequels and spin-offs.

Easy as pie to answer that one: Abandon the project and the business model since it didn't work out for them.

Except it did work out for them. They made enough money to fund the project and keep their people employed. That's a success for any studio. That said, a single successful Kickstarter doesn't guarantee a long-term revenue stream substantial enough to keep the studio afloat. Like I said before, if PoE has sold well enough by the time they finish their next project, maybe they won't need Kickstarter anymore. But that's at least two years away.

Obsidian have always been mercenaries. They'll get work for the team whether it's a Star Wars, Southpark, Fallout, Dungeon Siege or whatever RPG. Besides their teams always seem to be fluctuating a lot with a lot of crossover where e.g. dev A works on game A, B and C on and off depending on the phase of development that game A, B or C is in.

All independent studios are mercenaries. That hasn't stopped them from being shut down left and right because there isn't enough work to go around. As was stated in the interview, fewer and fewer publishers are signing projects with external developers. Almost all of the big games are handled internally, whether it's God of War, Halo, GTA, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Elder Scrolls, Watch_Dogs, etc.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2014, 05:01.

13934 Comments. 697 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo