Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13827 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Apr 16, 2013, 12:40 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 09:15:
Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 09:13:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 23:33:
DLGamer is selling Skyrim for $20 and the DLC for 50% off: http://www.dlgamer.us/download-the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim-pc_games-p-12549.html

The store seems legit, as it's listed on Isthereanydeal.com. I think they're located in France (they use a French bank) so you probably won't get your keys until tomorrow if you order now.
It appears to be ok. No obvious signs of the grey market russian cd key type thing. The prices for other stuff don't seem crazy discounted (I'm guessing the skyrim discount is an indication we'll soon see a steam or amazon sale on it), and they give an address and sell physical copies of some stuff.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 09:11:
Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 09:10:
Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 06:48:
Any idea if that's a Steam key. Couldn't see anything in the description about it.
Which? The skyrim stuff? It says STEAM in it if you do a ctrl F. Also I think its a steamworks game if I recall right.

Was going to ask same thing, doesn't say anything in the cart or anything....just says "you will receive no physical media"......then that brings up the point...once it is on my drive...isn't it in physical media form?

Anyway....anyone know if they just email you a key? I HATE to give them business, but 9.99 for Dragonborn is pretty swank.
You could always get it from gamestop for that price

Anyway says right there near the top of the page:

Activation Key must be used on a valid Steam account.
NOTICE: Requires the base game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in order to play. Activation key must be used on a valid Steam account, requires internet connection.

Jumped in wrong thread - I was talking about gamestop...i don't want to give th em my money....

Yes, Skyrim is Steamworks (as is the DLC). Any site you buy it from will just give you a key. However, you should buy it from DLGamer, not GameStop. For one, DLGamer is cheaper. Secondly, you should never support GameStop. Ever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2013, 00:25 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 22:09:
The usage-based leveling system is inherently broken and allows for easy exploitation.

Is it broken in your opinion because it allows for easy exploitation, or in some other manner? Because I discipline myself to avoid abusing or exploiting it and it feels pretty fair and natural to me.

Yes, it's broken because it allows for easy exploitation. It also means you don't have to make any meaningful character progression choices because there's nothing stopping you from maxing out all your skills and attributes. A traditional leveling system prevents this by capping your level and providing a finite amount of XP. Because quest completion doesn't provide XP in the ES games, they just give money or loot instead, meaning you end up with way too much money and useless loot. In an attempt to make money useful, they added trainers that you can pay to level up your skills, which is just a half-assed band-aid on an inherently broken system.

I have a fair amount of self-discipline too. I never perform any action for the sake of leveling and I never use trainers. However, no amount of discipline changes how broken the system is. The fact that you even need self-discipline to prevent yourself from exploiting the system is proof that the system is broken.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 15, 2013, 23:33 Jerykk

DLGamer is selling Skyrim for $20 and the DLC for 50% off: http://www.dlgamer.us/download-the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim-pc_games-p-12549.html

The store seems legit, as it's listed on Isthereanydeal.com. I think they're located in France (they use a French bank) so you probably won't get your keys until tomorrow if you order now.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 21:50 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 21:35:
I'm curious to see after all of these upcoming old school RPGs (Torment, Wasterland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, etc.) release what the opinion of The Elder Scroll games will be?

No different than they are now. The Elder Scrolls has never been a very good RPG series. The usage-based leveling system is inherently broken and allows for easy exploitation. Morrowind mitigated this somewhat by adding chance-to-hit and chance-to-cast based on skill level, though this severely undermined the real-time, direct-input combat. Bethesda has never had good writers either and has never been able to implement choice and consequence in any meaningful or coherent manner. Their attempt at skill checks in FO3 was downright embarrassing.

What Bethesda excels at is creating huge, highly interactive and detailed worlds to explore and lots of dungeons to clear. None of the Kickstarted RPGs will be able to compete in this regard, as they simply don't have the budget to do so.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
94. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 17:59 Jerykk

I couldn't top your nonsensical response calling games with loot "WoW with guns". Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Secret of the Silver Blades, the Krynn games... Yeah, you sure know a lot about (old) games.

Except Shadowrun isn't any of those games. He's saying that the PnP version of Shadowrun was never about loot so its absence in SR isn't surprising, nor will it have a detrimental effect on the gameplay.

Make no mistake, I do enjoy a good loot system but I don't think its integral to RPGs. Meaningful choice and consequence are what I consider integral and hopefully SR will deliver in that respect.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
55. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 02:40 Jerykk

While the lack of loot and quicksave are disappointing, they aren't necessarily going to be game-breakers. From what I've seen and read, the areas in SR are going to be relatively small and I assume that checkpoints are triggered whenever you enter an area. If checkpoints are also triggered before and after combat as well, I don't really see any problems. This isn't a game about exploration or dungeon crawling. Checkpoint saves also have the benefit of preventing save-scumming, as less disciplined players are prone to quicksaving before they perform any risky action, then reload their save if they don't get the desired result. As for loot, RPGs don't really need it if their character progression systems are deep enough. The Witcher didn't really have any meaningful loot and it was still a great RPG.

In regards to requiring Steam for DLC, it is a bit weird but at this point, if you refuse to use Steam, you're already missing out on many games. Activision, 2K, Paradox, Sega, Capcom, Namco, Codemasters, Square, Konami, Bethesda and Deep Silver all use Steamworks now. EA uses Origin and Ubisoft uses Uplay. If you refuse to play any game with DRM, that leaves you with very few games to play.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2013, 02:48.

News Comments > Road Redemption Kickstarter
13. Re: Road Redemption Kickstarter Apr 13, 2013, 07:44 Jerykk

Devs don't have the strongest of reumes but the gameplay looks fun and I do love me some Road Rash. It's really amazing that EA has sat on the franchise for all these years, not even bothering with a smaller downloadable release.

For $15, I'm in.

Yes, it's a CONCEPT video, but that mock gameplay video is what's used to ignite interest in the project.

You realize that most mock gameplay videos don't even have textures or particles, right? They're typically just animations done in Maya. I think you're mistaking CGI teasers (used for marketing) with gameplay concept videos (used internally). If you're running a Kickstarter, chances are you don't have the money for marketing so might as well use a concept video.

News Comments > Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed
4. Re: Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed Apr 12, 2013, 12:37 Jerykk

BitComposer is just a publisher and is being used primarily for distribution and marketing in this case. The game was developed by Logic Artists and was almost finished before they signed the deal with BitComposer.  

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage
24. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:40:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:06:
How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

The devs said they didn't want people just refilling health all the time since it eliminated a lot of the tension and immediacy of encounters. It's a design choice and one that forces the player to weigh going back for more health and etc vs pushing on. The risk vs reward system is very effective for first playthroughs IMHO, I beat a few bosses with a sliver of health and no flask charges. I don't think it's an issue anyway. Once you improve your skill at the game its a trivial aspect, there are few mobs that cannot be dealt with quickly once your character is more powerful or avoided. The amount of backtracking is also a non-issue for the most part, the vertical level design is well done and you find paths open up after completing important sections.

You may not personally like it and to each his own but I don't see it changing and I wouldn't want it to. Heck Demons Souls had no checkpointing at all and full respawns.

There's a very simple solution to the health flask issue. Associate a cost with it. Make health flasks finite, consumable items that only drop occasionally or can be bought from merchants who carry a limited amount. Voila, no more potential exploit. Hell, this would make the game even more intense because you could potentially run out of health flasks entirely and have no means of replenishing them other than random drops.

I don't know, I'm just extremely averse to respawns in general. In fact, I know I am because excessive respawn systems made me stop playing Fable and Far Cry 2 and Baldur's Gate as well. I just don't like respawns at all and would rather deal with limited lives or permanent stat penalties for dying. I don't like grinding either, which you have to do if you want to beat certain bosses in DS.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 23:19.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations Preorders & Bonuses
4. Re: Resident Evil Revelations Preorders & Bonuses Apr 11, 2013, 16:12 Jerykk

I've heard Revelations is pretty decent and far more faithful to the early games than the recent abominations.  

15. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:06 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

Like what sort of shortcuts and secrets?

When you get to certain points you can kick down a ladder to provide access between areas, open up a gate, stuff like that is what I'm assuming hes referring to.

The spawning system in Dark Souls makes sense, without it people would just cheese the levels. It isn't a hindrance anyway, eventually your skill at the game increases to the point where you can run the whole thing easily.

How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

5. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 05:25 Jerykk

Esoteric wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:17:
I think it's the best combat I've ever had in a PC game. Everything is...fair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It's a learning process.

Great game, and hopefully the 2nd improves on the first.

Eh, the first time you encounter an enemy, you'll probably die because you have no idea what his attacks are or how much damage they do. Dark Souls is very much about trial and error until you learn each enemy or grind to the point where you can just kill them in one or two hits.

I do think Dark Souls has a great combat system but the respawns are just atrocious. Worst respawn system ever. Want to refill your health potions? Enemies respawn. Want to level up? Enemies respawn. Want to become human? Enemies respawn. Want to repair your gear? Enemies respawn. Want to upgrade your gear? Enemies respawn. Want to manage your inventory? Enemies respawn. There are so many important mechanics that require the use of bonfires, resulting in you being forced to kill the same enemies over and over over. If enemies only respawned when you died, the game would be much better for it.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
89. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 11, 2013, 05:12 Jerykk

None of the existing DRMs give this much freedom, and almost all require you to create an account and register a game without a possibility of removing it afterwards.

Why would I want to remove it? Having to manually activate and deactivate installs was a major nuisance. If for some reason you were unable to run the deactivation program (system failure, hard drive failure, etc), bam, you're screwed. Want to update your hardware and/or switch OSes? Gotta make sure to deactivate all your games first and then reactivate them. Fun times for all!

With Steam, I can install my games on as many computers as I want. If my PC dies for some reason, no problem. Just install Steam on the new PC, reinstall the game and voila, good to go.

As for being unable to use Steam on multiple machines at the same time, I assume offline mode allows you to do just that. I haven't tried it myself but if Origin and friggin Uplay allow it, I imagine Steam does as well.

Bottom line is that the benefits of Steam outweigh the downsides. Automatic updates, cloud saves, achievements, leaderboards, support forums, instant messaging and chat rooms, silent installs, mod support, multiplayer invites, voice chat, pre-loads... Steam just offers a lot of useful functionality. That's why people like it. If you ask anyone if they want SafeDisc, SecuROM, Starforce, TAGES or any other DRM scheme, they'll answer with a resounding no. Those DRM schemes are just that: DRM. They offer no benefits to the customer whatsoever and exist solely to protect the publisher's interests. But if you ask someone if they'd like Steamworks integration, they'll most likely say yes because they don't see DRM when they look at Steam. They see a bunch of useful and convenient features.

I used to pirate most of my games but now pirating is actually less convenient and less appealing than using Steam, which is why I have over 1000 games on Steam and can't be bothered to pirate games anymore. Steam basically stopped all my piracy so I guess that makes it the most effective DRM ever.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 05:18.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
29. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 12:45 Jerykk

How does a combat system even work without hitpoints?  

News Comments > Project Eternity Environment Trailer
15. Re: Project Eternity Environment Trailer Apr 10, 2013, 12:31 Jerykk

wonkawonka wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 12:22:
Harlequin wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 12:12:
Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 11:58:
The fact they've been able to do this with the small small small budget (for game development) and in such a short time is amazing.

Speculation on my part but this is how I see it. The ~4mil is simply paying salary and overhead. Which 4mil buys a LOT. (Simple math average salary of a dev 50K the 4mil pays for more then 80 people for 1 year. Clearly they don't have 80 people working on it so that 4mil can be stretched for the 2 years or so they plan for development with ~30 people working on it). With that in mind, the company, obsidian will make money on the post KS sales on steam and such with most probably going to into the company coffers and the remainder to perhaps bonuses. If on KS they made 4mil even if they only do 33% of that on steam post-release its over a mil for the company.

If it was me this is how I would pay everyone and make the company money.

Your numbers are a little off:

Take the 4mil, remove 5% kickstarter fee. You're left with 3.8mil. Out of that, expect a good 10% cost of fulfillment for all the rewards (conservative). You're left with about 3.4mil.

Assume average salary at 60k, with a 1.6x total overhead, i.e. salary overhead at 96k a person. Let's go for 100k, a round number. You can now pay 34 people for one year only before your money runs out.

I can pretty much guarantee the team does not have 34 people. 15 people sounds more likely.

News Comments > Minimum Announced
3. Re: Minimum Announced Apr 9, 2013, 23:32 Jerykk

Don't think this art style was the right way to go. It doesn't really look stylized, it just looks like the devs don't have any character or environmental artists.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2013, 03:56 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 01:26:
So why is Journey not out on Steam?

Sony isn't courting Indies, it is luring them in and trapping them. Maybe that will change with the PS4 and finally a proper CPU architecture that means MUCH MUCH easier porting.... we'll see. But as it is now, the broadest of Indy gaming is on PC.

Why would Journey be on Steam? Sony wants to attract indies to their platform, not a competing platform. If Sony starts embracing more indies, I wouldn't be surprised to see more indie PS4-exclusives. Though, that exclusivity would likely be timed, as most indie console games eventually get ported to PC anyway.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 9, 2013, 03:49 Jerykk

So much pessimism for so little reason. Yes, it's a reboot. It's a reboot because 99% of the modern market has never heard of or played any Thief game before. While it would be great for it to be a proper sequel that remains faithful to the original lore, that's not really going to happen. Luckily, lore was not the main appeal of the Thief series. Gameplay was. And from what I've seen and read, the new Thief is still retaining the fundamentals of the series. It's still first-person, it's still about sneaking rather than fighting, stealth is still dependent on light and shadows, different surfaces still give off varying degrees of noise when you walk over them, the focus is still on stealing loot, you can still lean around corners, you can still pick locks and pockets, you can still blow out candles and extinguish torches, you still climb around on ropes and the levels are still large and open-ended.

People act like they're turning it into CoD or something. Yes, combat will be more viable than it was in the previous games, though you won't be able to run and gun like you can in Deus Ex or Dishonored. Yes, there is a "focus" mode that makes the game easier but is completely optional and completely disabled on the highest difficulty. If you enjoy ghosting and stealing all the loot without being detected and without neutralizing anyone, you can still do that.

So what exactly the problem here? Eidos has already proven that they can reboot a classic franchise successfully (see DX:HR, from the same studio making the new Thief). While there will always be some compromises to appeal to a larger audience, as long as the core pillars of the series remain intact, I'll be happy.

News Comments > Battlefield 4/AMD Bundle Plans
18. Re: Battlefield 4/AMD Bundle Plans Apr 8, 2013, 04:46 Jerykk

Also learn your timeline, Steam isn't even 10 years old yet, let alone 10 years behind Origin which is a re-branded EA downloader which has existed since 2006. that's right a whole 2 years behind the 2004 release of Steam. get your facts right.

The problem is that Steam is better than Origin so Origin feels redundant. If Origin were better than Steam, people would be more open to it. Same with Uplay. Granted, Steam has the inherent advantage of being the most popular so most people are already invested in it. I have over a 1000 games on Steam. Many people want all their games in one place, so I can see why anything that splits their library would be unappealing.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
54. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 8, 2013, 03:40 Jerykk

swaaye wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:11:
A new NOLF game would be cool but I couldn't care less about GOG being able to sell oldies. I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release. But I imagine GOG would make some nice money off of this series.

I'd rather have a single, fully patched and modern-OS compatible download instead of having to install a game using multiple CDs, find and install the official patches, find and apply the unofficial patches/tweaks necessary to make it work on Windows 7, etc.

13827 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo