Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13934 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Dying Light Announced
17. Re: Dying Light Announced May 23, 2013, 23:57 Jerykk

Dead Island + Minecraft + Mirror's Edge. Sounds good to me. Hopefully Techland will make sure it's polished and ready before release.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
27. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 22, 2013, 23:33 Jerykk

Where can I pre-order the new Solitaire?  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Origins Trailer
15. Re: Batman Arkham Origins Trailer May 21, 2013, 04:47 Jerykk

Wonder what other villains will be in the game. Could be cool to see Scarface and Firefly in action. The game's a prequel, so Hush won't be in it.

On a side note, I can't help but feel like this is just a quick cash-in while Rocksteady works on a proper sequel. Epic did the same with the latest Gears and Sony did the same with the latest God of War. That said, there have only been two Arkham games thus far so I can't complain too much about more of the same.

On another side note, Blur did a fantastic job with Black Mask's eyes. They really make him look like a psycho under that mask.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 04:59.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 21, 2013, 03:36 Jerykk

Being on Steam doesn't mean anything. Steam just sells games, they don't guarantee that they will work on the latest OS. You're thinking of GOG.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
16. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 21, 2013, 02:18 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:56:
Wildone wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:46:
guessing there will be no Wang jokes in this P.C. age. All my asian friends loved that shit though

"All my black friends are cool with me saying the n word!"

I'm Asian and thought Lo Wang was hilarious. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the reviewers who were upset by it were white.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer
21. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 21, 2013, 01:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:17:
I'm playing a lot of Reus, with hyper-stylized graphics. So not immersive!

"Immersive" is the worst adjective for games.

Not really. If a game immerses you in its gameplay and/or world, then it qualifies as immersive. Seems pretty appropriate to me. Just because people incorrectly limit the term to describe realistic visuals doesn't make it a bad term.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to retain the absurd, over-the-top character of Lo Wang. This is a prequel, so he'll be a lot younger and likely more serious. Sadly, he probably won't be voiced by some white guy trying to sound like an old Asian man either.

Lo Wang was great because he was a badass ninja who also happened to be a belligerent and elderly pervert. Claims of racism are solely misplaced. It's like arguing that Duke Nukem is racist because he is the culmination of American stereotypes. If you want a genuinely racist game, play Ethnic Cleansing.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 02:13.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
3. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 20, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

Will have to wait and see. No doubt they're toning down Lo Wang's character. Also, the enemy designs shown in the screenshots aren't terribly impressive.  

News Comments > Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team
12. Re: Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team May 20, 2013, 00:28 Jerykk

I assume that Obsidian is only helping with asset production on the game. MMO art is often outsourced to other studios due to the sheer amount required and it gives the artists at the other studios something to do during the downtime between projects.  

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews May 19, 2013, 23:25 Jerykk

Dishonored took a lot of pages from the Thief playbook, so similarities are unavoidable. However, I don't think you can teleport, pause time or possess people in Thief, so that alone should make for enough of a distinction.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
55. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 17:59 Jerykk

It's true that if Sleeping Dogs didn't require Steam and didn't have any integrated auto-update system, you could play without patching. But again, the only reason you don't want to patch is because the patches are so huge and the only reason they're so huge is because the developers put the DLC into them. The root of the issue is the poor DLC implementation, not automatic updates. It has nothing to do with Steam. Even if Sleeping Dogs had no DRM, the DLC would still be included in the patches and the patches would still be huge. Yes, you'd be able to play the game without patching but then you'd miss out on the numerous fixes and improvements the patches provide.

On a side note, I think the reason you couldn't play Sleeping Dogs was because you had already begun updating it before switching to offline mode. The game was already partially updated so it needed to finish updating, otherwise it would just be broken. If you had immediately switched to offline mode after first installing the game, I think you would have been able to play without downloading any patches.

I would like to see a poll of Steam users to see the actual satisfaction rating. Steam has a lot of points that seem like that's a good idea until... you want to do something that counters it.

If people were unsatisfied with Steam, it wouldn't be the most popular digital distribution platform. When Steam came out, everyone hated it and the only games that required Steam were Valve's games. Over time, more and more publishers started adopting Steamworks because consumers requested it. Steam is successful because people choose to use it, not because they are forced to.

How many free services are great ideas and convenient, everyone uses it then one day the company dedcides to do something it's users don't want like start charging for things... There will be a price to pay later for all this convenience I strongly believe as it happens all the time.

If we were talking about Microsoft, you'd have a fair point. But we're talking about Valve. When has Valve ever charged for something that was previously free? Hell, Valve provides more free content and services than any other company. There's no precedent for them trying to exploit customers so there's no logical reason to expect them to suddenly start doing so.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 18:04.

51. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 06:30 Jerykk

Sigh. I already addressed your Sleeping Dogs argument. Your issue isn't that you had to update the game. It's that the updates were ridiculously huge due to the DLC being included with them. That's a case of poor DLC implementation, not an issue with automatic updates. And how often is being fully updated a problem? In 99.9% of cases, you want to be fully updated. Only occasionally does the latest patch create problems and even then, that's an issue with the patch, not automatic updates. For every broken or poorly implemented patch, there are about 50 patches that improve their respective games, making automatic updates advantageous in most cases. Once a game is up-to-date, Steam lets you play it offline without issue. In the unlikely event that Steam ever gets shut down, I'm pretty confident that they'll offer a permanent offline mode for any games you've downloaded. In fact, if I downloaded and updated all of my games right now, I'm pretty sure I could just switch to offline mode and never log in again.

I've already stated that digital distribution (and thereby Steam) are not really viable for people with poor connections or strict bandwidth limits. This was never in contention. However, the majority of PC gamers do not suffer from these limitations and as time goes on, good connections will only become more prevalent. It's a concern that will only grow less relevant in the future.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 06:36.

49. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 06:08 Jerykk

Security isn't a black and white thing. There are varying degrees of security and most people are willing to sacrifice some degree of freedom to attain some degree of security. This doesn't make them unreasonable. It makes them practical. It's why you choose to live in a society bound by laws and regulations. If you want complete freedom, you need to become a hermit and live in the woods, desert or some other remote location far away from civilization. I'm pretty sure you aren't a hermit living in the woods or desert so really, you're just being a hypocrite.

Also, how am I ignoring you? I've addressed every one of your points and refuted them with undeniable facts. That's why your argument is poor. If you can present an argument I can't soundly refute, then you'll have a good argument. Your personal tastes are all well and good but they don't support the arguments you're making. You may not like DRM or Steam but that doesn't change the fact that Steam has had a beneficial impact on PC gaming and that most people embrace it.

You act like Steam is worthless because Steam games still get cracked. However, DRM is not the sole purpose of Steam and it's not the reason why people use it. As I've stated many times already, people use Steam because of the benefits it offers. Having a legal copy of a game on Steam is much more convenient than having a pirated copy. I speak from experience. That's the reason why Steam is so successful. It makes legal copies more appealing than pirated copies, something that no standalone DRM has ever accomplished.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 06:18.

46. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 21:37 Jerykk

If Steam had not come along another digital distribution system would have, there's a high chance of that. You give Valve way too much credit they do not deserve.

Would there have been other digital distribution platforms? Most likely. Would they have been even remotely as successful (and thus influential) as Steam? I seriously doubt it. When Steam was first released, everybody hated it, even though it came from a company with one of the strongest reputations amongst PC gamers. However, Valve worked hard to improve Steam and it slowly earned the favor of the community. Now, it is by far the most successful digital distribution platform and is largely synonymous with PC gaming. I think any credit given to it is well-deserved.

Your entire argument seems to rest on an irrational disdain for Valve. The facts don't support your position yet you persist regardless. If you can provide a cogent argument supported by objective facts, you'll be more likely to convince others. Unfortunately, the facts all prove that Steam has been beneficial to PC gaming so you'll have a difficult time convincing anyone otherwise.

News Comments > Among the Sleep Funded
2. Re: Among the Sleep Funded May 18, 2013, 21:27 Jerykk

I would have backed this if the minimum amount to get the game was $10. $10 is max I'll spend on impulse and I think that applies to most people. If more Kickstarters had that, I think they'd get more funding.  

43. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 18:40 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on May 18, 2013, 09:03:
You are acting as if there is only one side to the story, the one you wish to believe. There are always two sides and you aren't seeing both. I agree with some of your points but not the fact that it's the right or complete dominating majority view.

I do see both. I even listed the objective downsides to Steam. However, even if those downsides were all important to me, I still wouldn't be able to deny the beneficial impact that Steam has had on PC gaming because I can't deny facts. If Steam had never been created, digital distribution would be nowhere near as popular as it is now and we'd be seeing far less PC games than we see now. The retail presence of PC games was already in decline before Steam was introduced and that decline would have continued (as it did even after Steam debuted). However, without digital distribution, there wouldn't have been any other viable ways to sell PC games so PC gaming would have suffered.

40. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 06:36 Jerykk

There were many forms of DRM and players decided that Steam was the best. That's why most publishers use Steamworks and why most developers want to be on Steam.

As for Sleeping Dogs, that's not a particularly good example to use against automatic updates, as the devs decided to put all the DLC into the updates and force everyone to download them, even if they didn't actually own the DLC. This is a good example of poor DLC implementation, not any inherent flaw of automatic updates.

And really, you're arguing that having low prices is bad..? Seriously? You'd rather have all games remain at full price forever and never go on sale? You say that sales hurt smaller developers but everything they've said is to the contrary. There have been multiple statements by indie devs showing how sales significantly boosted their revenue and continued to boost it even after the sales ended. It's all about perception of value. If people think they are getting a good deal, they're more likely to spend money. They believe that they are getting a product for significantly less than it's worth, which motivates them to buy things that they otherwise wouldn't have bought. It's the basic psychology that drives all sales.

F2P has nothing to do with Steam, so I'm not sure why you bring it up. It's a business model used by many games that don't use Steamworks and aren't even available on Steam. Same with DLC, which was popularized by consoles. How you somehow equate these with Steam is beyond my comprehension. I'm surprised you don't blame Steam for MMOs.

Here are the actual, objective downsides to Steam:

1) You have to be online to activate your games.
2) You have to be online to update your games.
3) If you lose your account, you lose all your games.
4) Digital distribution isn't really viable if you have a slow connection or strict bandwidth limits (though this is a downside shared by all digital distribution platforms, not just Steam).

That's it. Now here are the objective benefits:

1) You have all your games in one place, making it easier to find the games you want without having to shuffle through huge disc wallets or shelves full of cases.
2) Downloadable games require no physical space.
3) Automatic updates make it much easier to update your games.
4) Silent installs make it much easier to install your games.
5) Integrated social features (IM, chat rooms, forums, etc) make it easier to discuss your games with other people.
6) Achievements are available for people who need extra incentive to experiment and try new things in their games.
7) You can install and play your games on any PC without needing to carry around discs.
8) Cloud saves allow you to retain your progress if you use multiple PCs.
9) Integrated leaderboard, achievement and matchmaking functionality make it easier for developers to implement said features.
10) Multiplayer invites make it much easier to get into matches.
11) Steam Workshop makes it much easier to install mods.
12) Steam Greenlight brings much-needed exposure to indie developers.
13) Steam Market gives modders an easy way to make money from their work.

If you honestly think Steam hasn't had a beneficial impact on the PC gaming industry, you must be completely oblivious as to the state of PC gaming ten years ago.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2013, 06:43.

News Comments > Alien Fear Renamed Alien Rage; Coming to PCs
5. Re: Alien Fear Renamed Alien Rage; Coming to PCs May 18, 2013, 05:36 Jerykk

This looks incredibly generic. Need to see actual gameplay.  

38. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 04:41 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on May 17, 2013, 11:42:
Verno wrote on May 17, 2013, 10:54:
Platform unification was bound to happen, the PC was too fragmented to support going forward and we were seeing the slow death of the PC gaming industry before digital platforms.
"Platform unification", what on earth do you mean by that? and what do you mean the PC was too framented to support going forward?

It seems pretty self-explanatory. Before Steam, the PC didn't really have any standards. There were tons of different DRM schemes (Starforce, SecuROM, TAGES, Safedisc, ByteShield, Uniloc, etc) and no standardized features between games. PC gaming still doesn't have any official standards but the fact that most publishers use Steamworks means that certain features (cloud saves, silent installs, automatic updates, achievements, leaderboards, etc) are quickly becoming standard and players need only deal with one DRM scheme for all their games.

In terms of PC gaming's health, Steam has been a boon. Steam brought digital distribution into the light and made it easier (and cheaper) for both publishers and developers to bring their games to PC. The PC currently has more publisher and developer support than it has ever had before and although most big-budget games are ports (due to the multiplatform nature of modern development), the quality of these ports has risen significantly over the past decade.

If you cast aside your contempt for DRM and look objectively at the features that Steam offers, you should be able to understand why so many people like it, even if you disagree that the features are enough to compensate for the DRM.

News Comments > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs
32. Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs May 18, 2013, 04:10 Jerykk

Nice to see this coming to PC. Hopefully the port won't be crap. Would be nice if MGS3 and 4 also came to PC. The next Lords of Shadow game is coming to PC and according to SteamDB, the first one is too, so it looks like Konami is starting to pay attention to the PC market.

No, it's actually a desperate attempt to earn back some development costs by making a cheap PC port. This game sold like shit.

Source? And please don't say VGChartz. It's already been repeatedly established that VGChartz pulls numbers out of their ass.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 12:26 Jerykk

By "hi-res," does that mean they're redoing the prerendered backgrounds? Because those backgrounds are super low-res by modern standards and the 3D characters won't blend in at all.  

13934 Comments. 697 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo