Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14009 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Eleven
4. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Ten Jun 23, 2013, 05:24 Jerykk

Titanfall is the Xbox One's killer app, at this point. Its use of cloud processing allows for competitive multiplayer that features the spectacular style of a single-player campaign, fills the world with A.I. ripe to mine for XP, and more ways to get through a multiplayer match than almost anything we've seen -- especially on a console.

How can Titanfall be the Xbone's killer app when it's going to be released on the X360 and PC as well..? Hell, they even give it the "Best PC Game" award. Also, comparing any game with jetpacks to Tribes shows a clear lack of understanding of how Tribes actually plays.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2
26. Re: Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2 Jun 21, 2013, 04:41 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 11:10:
The real lingering and potential problem is Obsidian. I just hope Feargus, Chris's (cubed) and Darren know to be careful. Bethesda would do the same thing to Obsidian. Take them down and buy them cheap, if they get the chance.

If this meant that Obsidian would be in charge of all future Fallout games, it might not be such a bad thing after all..

News Comments > Deadpool Trailer
9. Re: Deadpool Trailer Jun 21, 2013, 00:07 Jerykk

This is probably going to be bad, especially given how little gameplay they've shown thus far. Also, I think everyone who worked on the game has already been laid off. Finally, Activision has a reputation for lousy licensed games that were obviously made on a tiny budget and unreasonable schedule.  

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Revealed
14. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Revealed Jun 20, 2013, 03:01 Jerykk

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:59:
"Due out in 2013 for PC, Mac, and Linux from Dennaton Games and Devolver Digital. "

So another game I won't be buying on GOG.

If you play games on a PC and you only use Linux... you must not be playing many games.

News Comments > Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2
8. Re: Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2 Jun 19, 2013, 23:27 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is just regular PR bullshit. Bethesda has published plenty of crappy games. Rogue Warrior, BRINK, Hunted, WET, RAGE, etc. From what I've heard, Bethesda dropped Human Head because Human Head refused to be bought out. Apparently Bethesda likes to own all the studios they work with and will generally be uncooperative unless you agree to sell.  

News Comments > EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD
53. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

ochentay4 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:17:
Gib007 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:28:
As long as this doesn't mean "if you don't own an AMD card, it will run like utter crap", then it's fine. I guess those with AMD cards totally equivalent to an NVIDIA counterpart (nothing is ever 100% equivalent either way) would get a handful more FPS.
I've never played a game optimized for AMD cards that run like shit on Nvidia. I cant say the same for games optimized for NVIDIA cards. Cryostasis is the perfect example. And PhysX is the most stupid thing on earth. Phisics engines should be integrated on DirectX/OpenGL and be available for all cards, including shitty cards like INTEL.

Tomb Raider had performance and stability issues on Nvidia cards at launch, though those were eventually ironed out.

Anyway, I can't see them maintaining this policy for very long. The majority of PC gamers use Nvidia, so it doesn't really make any sense to screw them over. If your games run like ass on Nvidia at launch, most PC gamers simply won't buy your games at launch.

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
10. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 01:34 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:38:
KS wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 11:21:
Can't watch it at work. Is there a "hard" mode where you can't kill anybody?

Just don't kill people?

I hate to sound like an old man, but back in my day we had to make our own challenges. Kill nobody, kill everybody, don't get seen, only use a paperclip and a roll of electrical tape, only use a 4 foot purple dildo, etc.

This. These days, the need to create your own challenges is even more prevalent, given how ridiculously easy most games are.

News Comments > Gunpoint Sales Figures
6. Re: Gunpoint Sales Figures Jun 19, 2013, 01:30 Jerykk

Good for him. Gunpoint is a great game, if a bit short. Definitely interested in his next game.  

46. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 17, 2013, 23:48 Jerykk

I completely agree that one-button takedowns are lame. But to me, the ease with which I can dispose of guards is completely irrelevant. If I'm fighting anyone, I've already failed. Whether or not the fight takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes doesn't matter because I'm already reloading my last save so I can avoid combat entirely.

But yeah, needing to get close to guards and aim your blackjack is definitely more satisfying than "Press A to takedown."

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2013, 23:38 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 17:08:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 12:27:
Quinn wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 09:17:
SR3 was fun until it turned from crazy to just absolutely fucking DUMB (yes, the bad kinda dumb).

Cleansed my harddrive from that game soon after I saved that vampire hunter guy.

What's the distinction between crazy and dumb?

What I mean by that is that at first stuff was just crazy much exaggerated, but in context of a story that somehow made sense. There was the other gangs trying to conquer the Saint streets, there was the federal anti-gang group fighting against the gangs , etc. and then shit just exploded into complete nonsense. From saving a sex maniac with a singing synthesizer as a voice to a moron who plays a vampire that hunts vampires, and then shortly after it turns into a World of Tanks with just allot explosions bullshit.

It turned from crazy but funny into.. granted, crazy but dumb.

Fair enough. I guess I just didn't care because I was never playing the game for story in the first place. I'm glad they aren't trying to be pretentious in any way. The GTA series has that covered pretty well these days.

News Comments > IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects
14. Re: IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects Jun 17, 2013, 23:35 Jerykk

Wha? How can anyone consider Contracts be the worst Hitman game? It took the best levels from the first game, added some great new ones (Meat King ftw) and further refined the already significant improvements made in the second game. It also placed the focus on assassination, rather than the tangents you often had to go through in the first two games (running through the jungle looking for artifacts, trying to sneak past towers manned by ninja snipers, etc).

With the exception of Absolution, the Hitman series is the only one to improve with each iteration.

Anyway, I can't say I'm too disappointed with the focus on Hitman. Kane & Lynch was only mediocre at best. Same with Mini Ninjas. Freedom Fighters was great but it's never going to get a sequel. Now that the focus is solely on Hitman, hopefully they can take another look at Blood Money and figure out why everyone loved it so much.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 09:17:
SR3 was fun until it turned from crazy to just absolutely fucking DUMB (yes, the bad kinda dumb).

Cleansed my harddrive from that game soon after I saved that vampire hunter guy.

What's the distinction between crazy and dumb?

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Six
44. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 01:53 Jerykk

I'm not politically correct by any means but denying that there's any sexism in the games industry seems to ignore reality. We've all seen what happens when a semi-attractive woman plays a prominent role in a game's marketing (Jade Raymond with Assassin's Creed). We've all heard what happens when a female gamer uses voice chat in a multiplayer game. We've all seen the role that women play at gaming conventions. We've all seen the ridiculously sexualized outfits women wear in games (Asian games are particularly egregious in this regard). Hell, take a look at the box art for the premium edition of Killer Is Dead, a game which has minigames where you're rewarded for staring at a woman's breasts and crotch: Killer Is Dead back cover art. Even a journalist can stir up controversy by simply being a semi-attractive female (RPS).

If you really think that none of this deters women from becoming gamers or joining the gaming industry, you're just being dense. If you don't care about the issue, that's fine. I'm apathetic about many things as well. But you can't deny that the issue exists.

29. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 22:31 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 22:17:
Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 22:14:

I don't get your point. "I don't see how one problematic industry is different than another problematic industry." So people shouldn't try to improve something if other things are also screwed up?

I'm saying worrying about some minor contributing factor in one industry is counter-productive to solving the greater issue, which is getting women interested in the industry. "There are booth babes at cons!" isn't the big deterrent to getting women involved. It's the men. Women don't want to be part of a sausage fest, so it'll be slow going building momentum. The more women there are, the more women who will want to join in.

I think the issue is that women don't want to join the games industry because it's perceived as being sexist. This perception is supported by many things, booth babes not the least of them. If you had no interest in being a model, would you really want to join an industry where people only acknowledge your appearance and not your skills and accomplishments? There are a lot of variables at work here and getting rid of booth babes obviously wouldn't solve everything. However, it would at least be a start.

23. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 22:02 Jerykk

Again, standing out is fine. However, when people assume that your only qualification is looking good, that's problematic, especially when it affects what opportunities are made available to you. How people perceive you is a pretty important factor in any career. After the response Jade Raymond received during her marketing of AC, she will likely never do anything like that again because dealing with the backlash wasn't worth it. The existence of booth babes only perpetuates the idea that women in the games industry exist only as eye-candy.  

21. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:41 Jerykk

There's a difference between admiration and sexism. If people think you only got your job because of your looks, that's not admiration. Again, see Jade Raymond for an example of how the general gaming populace perceives women. There's a reason why she's stayed out of the spotlight since Assassin's Creed.

Nobody is saying that being an attractive female is a bad thing. What's bad is how these females are treated in the games industry. If you find someone attractive, that's fine, but you shouldn't fixate on their appearance at the expense of everything else, nor should you assume that their sole purpose in life is to look pretty.

19. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:29 Jerykk

People Voluntarily choose to become models. They reap financial benefits with their attractiveness, some women become super-models.

They do, yes. But when the majority of females in the games industry are booth babes, that only reinforces sexist preconceptions. One need only look at the internet's response to Jade Raymond for an example of how semi-attractive women in the industry are generally treated. If you're a semi-attractive woman in this business, people will automatically assume that your primary role is to serve as eye-candy regardless of your actual career. Booth babes promote this mentality.

12. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:34 Jerykk

Pumas wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 18:36:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 17:41:
There are still booth babes, so I'd say it's still an issue. That said, sexism has been and always will be an issue in most male-dominated industries. Until men stop wanting to look at hot chicks, this isn't going to change so good luck with that.

How on earth is paying a model to do what models get paid to do sexist in any way?

"I'm sorry miss, but we can't hire you this year because apparently your career offends people. Good luck finding work!"

If hiring male models helps the companies sell more games, then you can bet your ass that's exactly what they'll do.

One could argue that a modeling career promotes the objectification of men and women. At E3, the primary role of women is to serve as eye candy. If you're a semi-attractive female at E3, there's a pretty good chance you'll be mistaken for a booth babe. I know because that happened to my friend at this E3. If there were no booth babes, this wouldn't happen.

44. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 16, 2013, 20:22 Jerykk

Like you once said, horror games can't never be truly scary when you know you can fuck up any adversary. Stealth games, I argue, can never get tense (for lack of a better word atm) when you know getting caught means you can just slaughter them.

I guess the key difference is that horror requires the player to be scared, whereas stealth does not. To me, stealth is about perfectionism. Never being detected, never leaving any trace of your existence behind. You can choose to be a perfectionist. You can't choose to be scared. The risk of failing to meet my own requirements is what creates tension in stealth games. To me, being detected is a fail state, no different from dying.

One of the biggest nonsense people can utter in this community is the "yoi're playing it wrong" argument. Stealth, to me, doesn't mean BY DEFINITION 'ghosting'. To you maybe, and that's fine, but I enjoyed the earlier Thiefs knocking some guards with an annoying path-pattern out and quickly and properly hiding their bodies. I didn't systematically knock everyone out. To me, this was great fun and a good, balanced challenge, because it was often easier to ghost past than to knock-out and hide the body before others took notice. I loved it. Was I playing it wrong? Tell that to the guy who had the time of his life playing it exactly like that.

Okay, so you enjoy knocking guards out. You are now complaining that the new Thief makes it too easy to knock guards out. In 9/10 situations, knocking a guard out in Thief (or any stealth game) is easier than trying to evade them. When you knock out a guard, you are removing a threat and obstacle. That's one less pair of eyes to avoid while you do your business. If you're trying to grab all the loot in a room being patrolled by several guards, the easiest way to get the loot is to knock out all the guards first. Seriously, go back and play Thief and try to get through a level without incapacitating any guards. It's significantly harder than just knocking out guards whenever the opportunity arises. The AI doesn't notice the absence of other AI, nor do they have randomized patrol routes. There are always rooms where you can dump bodies without the risk of them being discovered. If challenge is your top priority, you shouldn't be knocking out guards at all. That's the entire reason why I ghost in the first place. I want a greater challenge.

If lack of challenge is your concern, then you shouldn't take the path of least resistance.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2013, 20:29.

2. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 17:41 Jerykk

There are still booth babes, so I'd say it's still an issue. That said, sexism has been and always will be an issue in most male-dominated industries. Until men stop wanting to look at hot chicks, this isn't going to change so good luck with that.  

14009 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo