Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2013, 01:54 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 21:44:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 17:22:
I don't know about "hate" for Alan Wake, but I will say "disappointment".
Indeed. Its two sins were that it wasn't as good as game as it was hyped up to be, and the initial shafting of PC players when it went from being a PC game to an Xbox exclusive. The latter in particular is where most of the hate comes from.

If I recall correctly, some stooge from Remedy or MS stated that the game was an Xbox exclusive because it was designed to be played on a couch or something stupid like that. That statement deservedly got a lot of hate. Phil Fish said the same thing regarding Fez, only to eventually port the game to PC as well. These people really need to learn to just say "no comment" instead of coming up with bullshit excuses for console exclusivity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 22:03 Jerykk

Skyrim was $15 less than a month ago, I believe. If you thought that was still too expensive, you may be the cheapest person alive.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
27. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 21:56 Jerykk

They don't. They licensed it from 3D Realms.

Source? Right now, I don't see any mention of 3D Realms or Apogee when it comes to Shadow Warrior. Digital Devolver is listed as the publisher of the original on both GOG and Steam and the teaser trailer for the reboot only lists Flying Wild Hog and Digital Devolver. If 3D Realms were just licensing out the IP, surely their name would still be attached to any Shadow Warrior products. I think it's more likely that they sold the IP to Digital Devolver, much like they sold Prey, Duke Nukem, Death Rally and Max Payne.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 05:32 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:13:
@MisterBenn, yeah, what you call "streamlining" I call "consolidation."

When you build stuff to run on consoles, you have to dumb it down. It's a shame. Loved the new XCom, but it had about 3x fewer options than would have made the game truly amazing. Needed a larger research tree, more soldier types, more perk choices, more weapon and armor types, etc. etc. Same for Oblivion and Skyrim.

The dumbing down you speak of has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with appealing to a broader audience (on all platforms). Less complexity = more accessible.

Seriously, do you think things like research trees and perks stress console hardware at all? Answer: they don't. They don't even stress smartphones. They're just basic scripts that process instantaneously. Now, if Total War: Rome 2 gets ported to consoles and has significantly smaller armies, that would be a good example of console hardware limitations.

Skyrim was the first ES game where (to me) the characters actually felt semi real, and not cardboard cutouts as in previous games. I'm not sure if that was due to increasing the voice acting budget (so it wasn't the same 3 people), better writing, or what. Granted, there's still room for improvement in future games, but it did seem like a step up.

I'd love to see actual dialogue options that not only let you define your personality but also resolve quests in different ways.

News Comments > Arkane Prey 2 Rumor
10. Re: Arkane Prey 2 Rumor Jun 1, 2013, 18:24 Jerykk

Bethesda Softworks != Bethesda Game Studios. BGS is the dev studio behind the Elder Scrolls. Bethesda Softworks is Zenimax, the publisher.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
6. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 18:20 Jerykk

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:40:
Prez wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:37:
How cool is this?! Thanks Valve (and whomever is currently holding the license).

Think whoever is doing the remake put it out. According to the steam forums, there's also an upcoming more feature supported version, like what they did with Duke Nukem 3d (I'm assuming there's a cost involved, too).

Digital Devolver is publishing the remake so I assume they own the IP now.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jun 1, 2013, 04:17 Jerykk

Rattlehead wrote on May 31, 2013, 02:21:
Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2013, 01:04:
Technically, Ninja Theory didn't make the DmC PC port. It was handled by another studio. Same with MGS Revengeance. As long as the ports are good, I don't care who makes them, but it's important to keep in mind that these studios had nothing to do with the PC versions of their games.
Erm, can't find anything about that. All credits state that Ninja Theory handled all the development alongside Capcom.

"Developed by QLOC S.A. for Windows PC"
PC Press Release

News Comments > Arkane Prey 2 Rumor
6. Re: Arkane Prey 2 Rumor Jun 1, 2013, 04:14 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:01:
Well I called that one. Is Prey really a "brand"? It was ONE game most people have already forgotten. By the time the new one comes out there will be almost no memory of the original. Like it or not a reboot this shall be.

It was already basically a reboot anyway. Different protagonist, different setting, different enemies, etc. Based on the E3 demo, Prey 2 looked to have a ton of potential. Here's hoping that whoever's working on the game now can deliver.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 04:12 Jerykk

Played a few hours of this today. Seems pretty good so far. The writing is solid and there's a lot of roleplaying depth. Each of your companions is surprisingly fleshed out. Combat is pretty standard TBS fare, but it's entertaining. There's a lot of resource management outside of combat. Instead of permadeath, your companions get injured if they fall during battle. If you have a doctor in your group, you can attempt to heal them, provided you have enough medication. If you don't treat the wounds, there's a chance they'll get worse and potentially fatal. You have to feed your crew on a daily basis and you're forced to rest after performing a certain number of moves on the world map. That's probably my least favorite part of the game so far. It feels like you can't make enough moves before having to rest and consume food.

As for racism, you don't have to be racist. There are a lot of dialogue options that let you define your character and some quests seem to have diplomatic solutions. Your companions have different personality traits. Some might be racist, pious, greedy, etc, and they lose morale if you do things they disagree with. Luckily, you choose your team at the start of the game so you can ban all racists and religious people if you want.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 31, 2013, 01:04 Jerykk

Technically, Ninja Theory didn't make the DmC PC port. It was handled by another studio. Same with MGS Revengeance. As long as the ports are good, I don't care who makes them, but it's important to keep in mind that these studios had nothing to do with the PC versions of their games.  

News Comments > Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter
8. Re: Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter May 30, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Can someone like DF fund this themselves or secure the financing and still make it their way without having to go hat in hand?

No, they likely couldn't fund it themselves. Most independent studios survive from project to project. They have little, if any, expendable income. The revenue they get from the PC versions of Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Stacking, Costume Quest and Iron Brigade are probably only enough to keep the studio afloat in-between projects. And I can pretty much guarantee that no publisher (except for Paradox) would have any interest in this game.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 02:44 Jerykk

Not really sure what Sarkeesian is trying to accomplish. The games industry is male-dominated and the vast majority of writers are not only male but also lousy writers. Male + lousy writer = sexist tropes. Nothing new there. Stating the obvious isn't going to change anyone's mind. Then she claims that these tropes desensitize men to violence against women. Even if that were true, getting rid of the tropes wouldn't stop people from committing violence. People commit violence because they had troubled upbringings (negligent and/or abusive parents, typically). If someone has no respect for the law or human life, changing the writing of videogames isn't going to fix that.

So, given that these videos are just stating the obvious and aren't going to change a thing, they basically boil down to glorified whining.

News Comments > Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week
5. Re: Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week May 28, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on May 28, 2013, 09:02:
action/RPG my ass.

It's a stealth puzzle-platformer. Not sure why Blue described it as an ARPG.

Anyway, I thought the demo was pretty entertaining. The writing is appropriately tongue-in-cheek and the crosslink mechanic has a lot of depth. Also, pouncing on guards and punching them silly is always fun.

95. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 22:50 Jerykk

Quinn touched on my issue when he mentioned immersion. Obviously even in the best games the illusion is never convincing enough to make us forget that we are only playing a game, but it's a relative thing I think. I've been playing Borderlands 2 for over 250 hours now and I am not the least bit tired of it. While I never find myself thinking I actually am a Vault Hunter on Pandora, I can easily lose myself in the fascinating world with its interesting characters, and I love doing it. When it comes to sidescrollers I cannot do that. The best way I can describe it is that I don't feel a part of the game world, no matter how well conceived or how interesting its characters, because of the extremely limited range of movement you are allowed through it and how it is presented. My little avatar is not "in" the world; rather he seems to be running and jumping between flat surfaces that are in front of it, sort of like an actor in front of a green screen in a bland studio. The beautiful world of Trine just comes across as a lovely mosaic that I get to run and jump side to side in front of but never actually enter.

Fair enough. I can accept that certain perspectives are just immersion-breaking for some people. I've seen a few people who can't stand either first-person games or third-person games too. I was under the impression that you considered all 2D side-scrollers to be the same but clearly isn't the case. Consider me off your back.

90. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 17:05 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on May 27, 2013, 08:04:
Jerykk wrote on May 27, 2013, 05:24:
Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 01:49:
"2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective.

No, 2D is a perspective. A sidescroller is a sidescroller, not a "perspective". I've already said I like many 2D games. On the other hand I like virtually no sidescrollers. It's got nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with how limiting, constricting, and lifeless a sidescrolling game feels to me. Make it a top down 2D game with the exact same art and suddenly it becomes something I'm possibly interested in.

I would try any 2D RPG because there's a good chance I would like it. I would not try a sidescrolling RPG because there's virtually no chance I would like it. They are not for me. Why is that so hard for you to understand????? Dizzy

How would you define "side-scroller"? Fallout 1 and 2 were both 2D games that had a scrolling camera. Diablo was a 2D game that had a scrolling camera. By "side-scroller," you're specifically referring to a 2D, side-view of the world. Therefore, it is indeed a perspective. Which brings us back to my original point that disliking a game because of its perspective seems silly. It's like saying that you don't like first-person or third-person games, even though there's a huge range of genres that use either perspective.

I guess it is plausible that some people would find certain perspectives inherently awkward or irritating. Just seems like such a waste to miss out on great games solely because of that.

I don't think Prez means "a 2D game with sideways scrolling", he's using "2D side-scroller" to refer to the genre that Dust, Sonic and Prince of Persia belong to. Although these can have other genre features (RPG elements, or beat-em-up features; putting a game into a single genre is increasingly a fool's errand), they all have the same basic gameplay system. There are other games which are 2D (or 2.5D) and feature sideways scrolling but which I wouldn't call a 2D side-scroller. Fallout, Civilization, Cannon-Fodder - all 2D and all have sideways scrolling, but they're not what I would call 2D side-scrollers and I don't think they're what Prez would call 2D side-scrollers either.

What is the right name for these? 2D platformers? That's not ideal either.

2D vertical scrollers (sometimes called shoot-em-ups, but I associate that with FPS games) are a similar genre, popular with many and good luck to you one and all, but they're not for me.

Dust is a beat-em-up. Sonic is a platformer. Prince of Persia is a pseudorealistic platformer. All three are very different games from different genres, yet you place them all under the same, ambiguous category of "2D side-scroller." I take issue with that because they are completely different games. That's like me putting Morrowind, Doom and Amnesia all under the same category just because they're all first-person. Also, it's not that hard to categorize games. Just look at the primary gameplay mechanic. If a game primarily revolves around shooting stuff, it's a shooter. If a game primarily revolves around beating stuff up, it's a beat-em-up. If a game primarily revolves around platforming, it's a platformer. Genres are defined by gameplay, not by perspective.

As I mentioned before, you're defining "2D side-scroller" as a game with a 2D, side-view camera that scrolls with the player. That still covers a huge range of games from different genres. If, for some reason, you can't stand that type of camera, I guess I can understand. However, you shouldn't assume that all games that use that camera belong to the same genre.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 17:21.

70. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 05:24 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 01:49:
"2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective.

No, 2D is a perspective. A sidescroller is a sidescroller, not a "perspective". I've already said I like many 2D games. On the other hand I like virtually no sidescrollers. It's got nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with how limiting, constricting, and lifeless a sidescrolling game feels to me. Make it a top down 2D game with the exact same art and suddenly it becomes something I'm possibly interested in.

I would try any 2D RPG because there's a good chance I would like it. I would not try a sidescrolling RPG because there's virtually no chance I would like it. They are not for me. Why is that so hard for you to understand????? Dizzy

How would you define "side-scroller"? Fallout 1 and 2 were both 2D games that had a scrolling camera. Diablo was a 2D game that had a scrolling camera. By "side-scroller," you're specifically referring to a 2D, side-view of the world. Therefore, it is indeed a perspective. Which brings us back to my original point that disliking a game because of its perspective seems silly. It's like saying that you don't like first-person or third-person games, even though there's a huge range of genres that use either perspective.

I guess it is plausible that some people would find certain perspectives inherently awkward or irritating. Just seems like such a waste to miss out on great games solely because of that.

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Announced
17. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Announced May 26, 2013, 23:56 Jerykk

Test Drive and NFS are separate franchises. Test Drive was once the main competition to NFS, though it basically died a long time ago.  

56. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 23:46 Jerykk

I remember you saying that you don't like 4x space strategy games (I think it was in a Sins of a Solar Empire thread) and no one jumped your shit even though Master of Orion is one of the best PC games ever made. Why do you have such a hard time handling that other people don't like 2D sidescrollers?

4X is a very specific subgenre of strategy games. "2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective. That's the issue here. As I said before, if you dislike platformers, that's fine. "Platformer" is a specific genre that doesn't appeal to everyone. But to automatically dismiss any game that uses a 2D, side-scrolling perspective, regardless of genre, seems silly to me. About as silly as dismissing any game based solely on its perspective, whether it be first-person, third-person, isometric or top-down. Perspective != genre.

First-person is not a genre. Third-person is not a genre. Isometric is not a genre. Side-scrolling is not a genre.

So I do not share your fear; if anything, I have the opposite fear as you. If PC's drop the niche markets and focus solely on large AAA 3D games, then they might as well be just console-ports. Which, after time, would mean loads of games along the lines of Madden 2021 / Call of Duty 39 / Modern Warfare 23.5 / etc.

That's already happening. The vast majority of AAA games are multiplatform and designed for consoles. Most of these games are ported to PC and as such, the majority of AAA PC games are ports. However, these games still coexist with the indies and I see no reason why this would ever change. PC will always be the most accessible platform for developers, making it the ideal platform for indies.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 23:52.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 21:27 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 26, 2013, 21:01:
Also, it's pretty ridiculous to automatically dismiss a game simply because it's 2D sidescroller. That's just as stupid as dismissing a game because it's 3D. A genre is a genre, regardless of camera perspective. There are 2D platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups, stealth games, horror games, RPGs, adventure games, you name it. To say "Oh, this game must suck because it has a scrolling 2D camera" is incredibly dumb. It's like calling every first-person game a Doom clone and every third-person game a Tomb Raider clone.

So how many 2D sidescrollers do I need to play and be bored to tears by before I can legitimately be allowed to just say I am not a fan of 2D sidescrollers? I haven't found one yet in 36 years of gaming that kept me interested enough to finish it, or even play it more than a few hours. I didn't say I don't like 2D games (I love Faster than Light and Space Rangers is one of my most favorite games of all time) - it's sidescrolling platformers that bore the friggin' snot out of me. I understand WHY so many indies make them, since they are way cheaper to make than 3D open worlds, but that does not mean I have to like them, cause I don't, and seemingly can't.

The problem is that you're automatically assuming that every 2D game with a scrolling camera is a platformer. Mark of the Ninja is not a platformer. Terraria is not a platformer. Lone Survivor is not a platformer. Dust is not a platformer. Reus is not a platformer. Shank is not a platformer. Some of these games may contain platforming elements but that doesn't make them platformers unless platforming is the focus of the game.

If you don't like platformers, that's fine. However, you shouldn't arbitrarily assume that every 2D side-scroller is a platformer.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 20:44 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
Dust...
Reus...

There's so much enthusiasm around all these 2D games coming from PC gamers. This is surprising to me, because I always thought one of the main differences between console gamers and PC gamers were that the first play games for some mindless entertainment, while the latter play games for immersion.

In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

The PC has always been about choice. Choice of hardware, choice of options, choice of games.

Also, it's pretty ridiculous to automatically dismiss a game simply because it's 2D side-scroller. That's just as stupid as dismissing a game because it's 3D. A genre is a genre, regardless of camera perspective. There are 2D platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups, stealth games, horror games, RPGs, adventure games, you name it. To say "Oh, this game must suck because it has a scrolling 2D camera" is incredibly dumb. It's like calling every first-person game a Doom clone and every third-person game a Tomb Raider clone.

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo