Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13827 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Closed Beta Next Week
1. Re: Infinite Crisis Closed Beta Next Week May 3, 2013, 01:59 Jerykk

It'll be interesting to see how they distinguish between superheroes that have almost exactly the same powers/abilities. Superman/Supergirl/Superboy, for example, or Batman/Nightwing/Robin/Batgirl.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer May 3, 2013, 01:55 Jerykk

Linksil wrote on May 2, 2013, 21:46:
And HOW does this play out in an MMO? I mean I can understand if your the group helping the souless one. But when you are that person it makes it hard being in a group of 5-25 people all with the same goal? Are they going to just roll a D20

Welcome to MMO land, where nothing you do matters and you can't throw a rock without hitting someone doing the exact same quest as you.

News Comments > TimeGate in Chapter 11
5. Re: TimeGate in Chapter 11 May 2, 2013, 23:22 Jerykk

They're basically done. I don't see any way they can recover from this. Most studios survive project-to-project. No publisher is going to sign a contract with a studio that's in bankruptcy. If they somehow manage to release Minimum, that could provide them with an alternate source of revenue but even then, I seriously doubt Minimum is going to be a success.  

News Comments > Bethesda Gets Testy
4. Re: Bethesda Gets Testy May 2, 2013, 23:19 Jerykk

There's a huge difference between play testing and QA testing. Play testing is used to get feedback on the overall experience. It's generally limited to the press, friends/family and/or focus groups. QA is used to find and report bugs and verify fixes. While QA can provide feedback, that isn't their job and any feedback they provide will be taken with a grain of salt.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 05:47 Jerykk

I don't understand how people can automatically dismiss a game simply because of its camera perspective. You can have 2D platformers. You can have 2D stealth games. You can have 2D beat-em-ups. You can have 2D exploration games. You can have 2D survival games. You can have 2D horror games. You can have 2D shooters. You can have 2D fighting games. There's a wide range of genres that can work with a 2D, side-scrolling perspective.

Saying you don't like side-scrollers is about as dumb as saying "I don't like first-person games," as if all first-person games belong to the same genre or something.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Preorders
14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Preorders May 1, 2013, 23:53 Jerykk

Except Steam doesn't harm legitimate buyers. If Steam offered nothing aside from DRM, it would. However, Steam offers a bevy of useful features that easily outweigh the inconvenience of its DRM. This is the primary reason why I stopped pirating games. The legal Steam versions were just more desirable than the DRM-free cracked versions.

In an ideal world, we'd be able to get all of Steam's features without any DRM. Unfortunately, this will never be an ideal world. Compromises must be made and Steam is the best compromise out there.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:59:
Phil Fish is a fucking douchebag asshole who I wouldn't piss on after a case of beer if he were burning, but I would still buy FEZ if it interested me in the slightest because I am a gamer. Sadly, it doesn't. It looks like crap. Of course, looks aren't everything, but it doesn't sound all that exciting either. Maybe I am missing something?

You don't like platformers or 2D games in general. 'nuff said.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Leviathan: Warships
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Leviathan: Warships May 1, 2013, 03:35 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:27:
rist3903 wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 21:12:
Why is this twice as expensive on PC/Mac vs tablets?

Its that way for most cross platform releases, more expensive on PC. Its like how book publishers target different market segments with different pricing (more expensive US, less expensive internationally), etc.

Generally they also expect more sales on mobile segment too, less piracy, etc.

There are some legitimate reasons for this, some I covered above, others include having to figure out far more in the realm of distribution for PC and having far more configuration options to test on the PC, etc.

But often, a large price difference just makes me think its a money grab.

Note, I'm NOT saying thats the case here. I don't know. And I bought this game on PC, so I obviously don't have a problem with the PC price point. I'm just talking in general terms for crossplatform stuff where mobile and PC are among the platforms.

The price difference has nothing to do with expected sales or piracy or testing costs. If you release a mobile game, charging $10 is suicide because the average game price on mobile is significantly lower. In fact, even $5 is risky. Most mobile games are $2 or less. A growing number are F2P.

Publishers and developers will charge as much as they think they can get away with. I don't think they'll get away with $5 on mobile. It's likely to sell better on PC at $10 than on mobile at $5.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailers
35. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailers May 1, 2013, 01:59 Jerykk

siapnar wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:30:
Not sure where some of the hate is coming from. GTA has always managed to be fun in my eyes.

San Andreas is my favourite, and I'm glad to see a similar character to CJ make an appearance.
Actually, I'll be enjoying all 3 storylines.

I'll be bro-ing it up, BRO!

PS. Why are some of you expecting gameplay trailers for a GTA game? Come on, now...

I think it's safe to assume that the criticism comes from people who genuinely don't like GTA. The last one I enjoyed was Vice City. San Andreas was okay but overstayed its welcome. GTA4 was downright painful to play. Using Euphoria NaturalMotion on NPCs is all fine and well but it should never, ever be used on the player character. Looks great but plays like ass because animation takes priority over tight and responsive controls. The simple act of turning or jumping while running was so sluggish that I couldn't stand playing for more than a few hours.

I didn't buy SA or GTA4 until they hit the bargain bin and unless Rockstar genuinely evolves the gameplay in GTA5, I won't be picking it up for more than $10 either.

31. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailers Apr 30, 2013, 23:27 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 18:22:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 16:48:
99% sure this is coming to PC, given that every other GTA (except for the handheld Chinatown one) has come to PC. The PC version will probably be announced a few months after the console versions are released, just like with GTA4.

That said, I'm not really that interested. GTA is stale. There have been many open-world action games since GTA3 and most of them have evolved the genre in various ways. Rockstar's focus seems to be on making their games as cinematic as possible, usually at the expense of gameplay. GTA4's horribly sluggish controls are a testament to that.

The writing on the GTA series is still miles beyond just about everything else in gaming, though.

Creston

That's arguable but even if we accept that as true, writing alone does not make a good game. If you're going to make a game, you should take advantage of the medium. Storytelling should be woven into the gameplay experience and not confined to cutscenes between missions.

It feels like Rockstar wants to be a movie studio rather than a game developer these days and it shows in how stale their games have become.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Preorders
8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Preorders Apr 30, 2013, 23:19 Jerykk

The DRM fiasco always struck me as silly. They never promised that the game would always be DRM-free. They just stated that backers would be able to choose a DRM-free version of the game. They also never said that the DRM-free version would get access to all the post-release content.

At this point, if you refuse to play games that use Steamworks, you're missing out on a whole lot of games. Here's a list of publishers that use Steamworks:

Codemasters
Capcom
Activision
Paradox
Deep Silver
Sega
Bethesda
Square Enix
Focus
Nordic
ATLUS
Namco
Konami
WBIE
Microsoft
City
1C

Only EA and Ubisoft are missing from the list and that's because they use their own inferior DRM schemes. The number of indie devs using Steamworks is rapidly growing as well. I used to consider the pursuit of DRM-free games to be the most noble of ideals but really, Steam's benefits far outweigh its disadvantages. In fact, if I had to choose between a Steam key or a DRM-free version of any given game, I'd take the Steam key every time.

9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailers Apr 30, 2013, 16:48 Jerykk

99% sure this is coming to PC, given that every other GTA (except for the handheld Chinatown one) has come to PC. The PC version will probably be announced a few months after the console versions are released, just like with GTA4.

That said, I'm not really that interested. GTA is stale. There have been many open-world action games since GTA3 and most of them have evolved the genre in various ways. Rockstar's focus seems to be on making their games as cinematic as possible, usually at the expense of gameplay. GTA4's horribly sluggish controls are a testament to that.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 30, 2013, 12:30 Jerykk

nin wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 21:58:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 21:49:
nin wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 20:03:
Stealth Bastard is a fun little game that largely slipped under the radar - highly recommended.

You know, I was looking at that. I really don't like platformers these days too much. Is it really twitchy?

I was going to say it's more of a puzzle game, but you do have to move quickly and dodge lasers sometimes...

Tell ya what: go here and scroll down to the very bottom and click the link that says "original free version". That's the version before it became "Deluxe" but it should at least give you an idea of what it's like...

I'd argue that it's more of a platformer than a puzzle or stealth game. You often have to perform very precise jumps and other timing-sensitive maneuvers. If I had to put it into percentages, I'd say 50% platformer, 30% puzzle, 20% stealth.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs in November
28. Re: Watch_Dogs in November Apr 29, 2013, 23:24 Jerykk

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 18:09:
I tend to get a bit nervous about original games that are scheduled for release around the time that next gen consoles are due to ship. This nervousness stems from the original Halo, which was a PC game and was turned into and Xbox exclusive for the launch of the original Xbox. Why am I feeling this about this game? Lets hope I'm wrong.

Wha? You're worried that this game will somehow become a console-exclusive? I seriously doubt it. It's being developed and published by Ubisoft, not some studio that's been bought out by MS or Sony. In addition, it's already been officially announced for specific platforms and releases in a matter of months. It's too late to turn it into an exclusive. Halo became an Xbox exclusive long before it was actually released.

As for the game itself, I think it has a lot of potential. The ability to manipulate the environment in meaningful ways is very interesting and something you almost never see in open-world games. The gameplay they've shown thus far has looked very scripted, though. Also, Assassin's Creed looked awesome too until I actually played it. Will have to wait and see.

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
36. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 27, 2013, 22:47 Jerykk

Again, if these rumors are true, it reminds me very much of Bioshock Infinite. Infinite was in development for about five years as well and the first gameplay demo it released was created just for the sake of marketing. It wasn't playable and wasn't part of the final game. However, many of its elements did end up making it into the final game and the final game ended up being good.

If the game was going to be canceled, I don't think Square would have bothered with announcing the game again and accepting pre-orders for it.

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
16. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 27, 2013, 07:12 Jerykk

No, it's not the same team as the DX:HR one.

Anyway, I hope the game pulls through. What I read of the public demo sounded promising, even if it wasn't fully representative of the game. Irrational did the same thing with Bioshock Infinite (which also went through numerous delays) but the final game ended up being good.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 27, 2013, 00:22 Jerykk

Oh, my bad. I thought his emphasis on "third-person" was meant to convey his disgust towards that perspective, especially since it was preceded by "consolized" and people who use that term often consider third-person to be inherently console-centric.  

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
39. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 27, 2013, 00:16 Jerykk

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 23:05:
Geez, most of you guys are so negative.

Again, when a game is totally redesigned after being in development for years...that's not a good sign.

I don't think it's been totally redesigned. They changed camera perspectives and updated the art but it's still a squad-based shooter where you fight aliens based on black oil and geometric shapes. The first iteration already seemed like a first-person Mass Effect. The new camera just makes it seem even more like ME.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Apr 26, 2013, 22:44 Jerykk

Edit 2: So much pay 2 win for SP. Stuff like a sniper reticule, burst mode for pistol, silencer for pistol, less fall damage, etc

All that stuff can be easily unlocked through natural progression. The game is very generous with XP (used to upgrade skills) and salvage (used to upgrade weapons). You'd have to be an idiot to pay to unlock anything.

What I don't understand is why all the non-cheat DLC is multiplayer stuff. Nobody cares about TR multiplayer. However, people do care about the lack of significant tombs in SP and offering more substantial tombs as DLC seems like a no-brainer. It wouldn't even need to be integrated into the main campaign. Just load the DLC directly from the main menu, like Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs have done. I think even Tomb Raider Underworld did that with its Xbox-exclusive tombs (still annoyed that they were never released for PC).

News Comments > Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell
37. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 25, 2013, 00:11 Jerykk

As I mentioned before, combat was a viable option in the previous Hitman and Splinter Cell games. If you got into trouble, you'd just pull out your gun and kill people. The combat AI is pretty terrible in every stealth game and it's a simple matter to draw them into chokepoints and mow them down one by one. The combat AI in Conviction and Absolution is actually an improvement over the previous games. It's just the addition of crap like Mark & Execute (completely optional) that makes combat easier.

As for Dishonored, I avoided all combat and found the stealth gameplay very compelling. I primarily used Blink and avoided Possession and Bend Time due to their overpowered nature, but there were occasions where the only way to achieve my personal goals was to use them. The level design didn't change regardless of what powers you used, so I'm not sure why you think the game became more linear when all the levels were inherently open-ended.

If you think sneaking around and avoiding combat is boring, I'm not sure why you're complaining about the increased viability of combat in modern stealth games.

Once again, if you find a certain mechanic or gameplay style enjoyable, then go for it. Don't concern yourself with what ending you'll get or other arbitrary nonsense. Do what you enjoy. I enjoy ghosting so that's what I do. If I think a weapon or ability is overpowered enough to ruin the game, I just don't use it. Simple stuff, really.

13827 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo