Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer
28. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 12, 2013, 02:47 Jerykk

Also, I don't consider this a teaser at all. Or is any trailer that doesn't have gameplay footage called a teaser these days?

Yes. A teaser trailer is basically a trailer with no substance. It exists solely to let you know that product exists, rather than convey any meaningful information regarding that product. That's why I don't like teaser trailers. An actual gameplay trailer would achieve both goals. It would raise awareness AND convey useful information.

Ubisoft did it right with Watch_Dogs. No worthless teasers. The first thing they showed was a lengthy gameplay demo. Same with The Division. All games should do this, as it has a much, much greater impact than a teaser.

DA2 may not have been the game it should've been, but it was still a 'good' game imo.

No, it really wasn't. The combat encounters were terribly designed. Whoever thought that spawning waves of enemies out of thin air was a good idea should be shot. I can understand why they recycled the same areas over and over. With such a short dev cycle, it simply isn't feasible to create as much content. However, there's no excuse for terrible combat encounter design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 04:05 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 03:53:
Familiar faces!

I liked this CGI trailer. It's not like we've been waiting for this game for years and expected it to be about out by now, and instead get a non-gameplay trailer (think Thief 4).

I don't get the complaining, tbh. I personally didn't expect to see anything yet so this trailer was a pleasant little surprise. And since the game is 1,5 years away, no shit they don't show us gameplay yet.

If a trailer doesn't show gameplay, it's basically worthless. There's nothing pleasant about a teaser trailer. It's just a waste of time. Either show gameplay or don't show anything at all.

News Comments > New Star Wars Battlefront Announced
16. Re: New Star Wars Battlefront Announced Jun 11, 2013, 03:28 Jerykk

Origin isn't terrible. It has cloud saves, automatic updates standalone installers and unless a game specifically requires Origin, you only need to use Origin to install it. After that, you never have to use Origin again.

The real issue is that people like having all their games in one library. For most people, that library is Steam. When you don't make a game available on Steam, you're forcing them to create another library and split up their games. That's inconvenient and really unnecessary when EA could just adopt Steam like every other publisher (except Ubisoft).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 11, 2013, 01:37 Jerykk

Bethesda accepts money for timed Xbox DLC exclusivity because they think it will be more profitable than releasing the DLC for all platforms at the same time. They believe this because every game since Oblivion has sold significantly more on Xbox than on PS3 or PC. If PC version of Skyrim outsold the Xbox and PS3 versions, then it doesn't make any sense to delay the PC DLC when its potential profits are higher than whatever bribes MS offers.

As for the impact of delays on sales, that's pretty well established already. When has a delayed port ever sold better than the original release? Why do you think MS pays for timed exclusivity in the first place? They do it to hurt competing platforms. People are impatient. If they want something, they want it as soon as possible. If they have to choose between getting it immediately or waiting a month, they'll get it immediately.

14. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 10, 2013, 23:47 Jerykk

Not sure why publishers bother with these teasers. Nobody likes them. Either show gameplay or wait until you have gameplay to show.

On a side note, good to see Morrigan back. Hopefully the gameplay from DAO will be back as well.

News Comments > Titanfall Announced
62. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 10, 2013, 23:44 Jerykk

If MS doesn't drop their price down to $400, they're screwed.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
17. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 10, 2013, 23:42 Jerykk

Mirror's Edge was great. The time trials really exposed the depth of the traversal mechanics. I hope this reboot doesn't dumb any of that down in favor of more combat. Also, I hope it's open-world.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer; Beta Signups
3. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer; Beta Signups Jun 10, 2013, 23:36 Jerykk

Not sure if I like what they've done with Dr. Thrax. In the original game, he was neurotic and sinister. In this one, he seems like he's high.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage
20. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage Jun 10, 2013, 02:31 Jerykk

Guys, this game is revolutionary and a completely new experience. It has a Hollywood writer, a dog, a faster mantling system and fish that move out of your way while you swim. Amazing!

On a more serious note, I'm not sure how Geoff Keighley and that chick can consider themselves journalists when they are very clearly just marketing shills.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2013, 02:42.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jun 10, 2013, 02:25 Jerykk

It's a great game that's sadly been overlooked by most people due to its complete lack of hype and marketing. If you enjoy CRPGs, there's a 98% chance you'll enjoy Expeditions. The historical setting was a big draw to me since 99% of RPGs are either fantasy or sci-fi but the writing and gameplay are what keep me playing. It has the exploration of HOMM, the roleplaying and loyalty system of Dragon Age and the combat and resource management of XCOM.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 10, 2013, 02:23 Jerykk

If Bethesda's next game still has timed DLC exclusivity for the Xbox, then we'll know which platform Skyrim sold best on.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jun 8, 2013, 17:47 Jerykk

I grabbed it. Good stuff. Kind of like HOMM + Dragon Age. Exploration is kind of annoying due to the extremely limited camera (it can barely zoom and can't tilt at all). Combat is fun and the writing is well done. There are also quite a few interesting choices to make.  

News Comments > Hellraid E3 Trailer
8. Re: Hellraid E3 Trailer Jun 6, 2013, 23:03 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 13:11:
PHJF wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:46:
Half the assets are exact rips from Dead Island.
Yeah like the beach, the zombies and the weapons huh?

Oh wait... no... no they are not.

The Minotaur is basically just a reskinned Ram. Looks to have the same AI, same animations and even the same sound effects. Same applies to the big lumbering zombie. Same animations as the Thug in DI.

News Comments > Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar
8. Re: Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar Jun 5, 2013, 12:24 Jerykk

Can't say I'm surprised.  

News Comments > Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow?
11. Re: Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow? Jun 4, 2013, 12:39 Jerykk

What's super-annoying is that the Wii-U version of DX:HR actually WILL have seamless integration of the Missing Link DLC.... as well as re-worked boss battles from the core game to be less silly.

And allegedly they're not planning to backport these changes to the PC platform =\ Although after a bunch of rage about this on the official forums, I heard they were going to bring the demand for this up with the developers.... so maybe there's some hope.

Those don't really seem like substantial changes. Boss fights comprise approximately 0.5% of DX:HR and anyone interested in the DLC has already played it.

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
17. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

durandal wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:42:
It's Vista & Halo 2 all over again.

Not even. MS thought that Halo 2 would be the killer app that made people buy Vista. I'm pretty sure no one at MS thinks Spartan Assault will make people buy Windows 8.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint Jun 4, 2013, 04:08 Jerykk

Just beat the game. Took me about 4 hours going for ghosting and A+ on every mission. A few of the missions are impossible to ghost through, as far as I can tell. There's one guy you just can't distract or sneak past in those.

Aside from that, I thought it was a lot of fun. The Crosslink mechanic is done well and rewards good planning. The writing is humorous too. I do wish there were more gadgets for ghosting but ghosting is typically a minimalistic affair anyway, so I can't complain too much.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
29. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 4, 2013, 03:45 Jerykk

Huh, weird. Still find it odd that there's no mention of 3D Realms in the listings for Shadow Warrior Classic and the reboot.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Gunpoint Jun 3, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

It's more of a stealth/puzzle game than a platformer. I guess stealth-puzzle-platformer would be the most apt description.  

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Jun 3, 2013, 02:32 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 13:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 05:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:13:
@MisterBenn, yeah, what you call "streamlining" I call "consolidation."

When you build stuff to run on consoles, you have to dumb it down. It's a shame. Loved the new XCom, but it had about 3x fewer options than would have made the game truly amazing. Needed a larger research tree, more soldier types, more perk choices, more weapon and armor types, etc. etc. Same for Oblivion and Skyrim.

The dumbing down you speak of has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with appealing to a broader audience (on all platforms). Less complexity = more accessible.

Seriously, do you think things like research trees and perks stress console hardware at all? Answer: they don't. They don't even stress smartphones. They're just basic scripts that process instantaneously. Now, if Total War: Rome 2 gets ported to consoles and has significantly smaller armies, that would be a good example of console hardware limitations.

I was thinking less hardware limitations and more controller and display limitations. Limited options mean it's easier to navigate via controller. And display options too: Console games always have huge text since they're usually limited to 720P. So you can only fit so much on a page vs. a PC. Look at the awful interfaces for Oblivion and Skyrim, for example.

While it's true that designing for consoles does affect the UI, that still isn't the reason why games are getting dumbed down. The newest XCOM could have retained Time Units, inventories, etc, even with a console interface. However, Firaxis chose not to because they wanted to make the game simpler and more accessible. Same goes with Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion was designed for consoles and had weapon/armor degradation so its removal in Skyrim obviously has nothing to do with console hardware. Same applies to the simplification of the skills and attributes systems. Likewise, the removal of chance-to-hit and chance-to-cast in the post-Morrowind ES games has nothing to do with interface limitations and everything to do with making combat more appealing to non-RPG players. As for the UI, I think consoles can be partially blamed for that, though the ES games have never had good interfaces (Morrowind's wasn't that great either). The bigger factor is that Bethesda's UI designers only seem to be concerned with presentation and not with speed or efficiency. Even with the limitations of a gamepad, Skyrim's UI didn't need to be as bloated or clunky as it was.

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo