Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14013 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 00:36 Jerykk

edit: Hmm, I see Hitman: Absolution is 75% off again, but apparently it was a bit of a disappointment compared to Blood Money. Maybe I should keep on ignoring it? Guess my main problem is when I hear "hitman" what comes to mind isn't Agent 47, but either Queen or Golgo 13...

Absolution isn't a bad stealth game. It's just a bad Hitman game. It plays more like Splinter Cell than Hitman.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 00:32 Jerykk

Between the daily deals, the flash sales and the community choices, there have been a ridiculous amount of repeats. I really wish they wouldn't repeat anything until the final day.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Jamie Foxx as Electro..? That was unexpected. Should be interesting to see how they handle the character.  

News Comments > Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut for Windows
5. Re: Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut for Windows Jul 18, 2013, 12:25 Jerykk

This was unexpected. The game is mechanically terrible but it does have a quirkiness that is pretty memorable. That said, you're probably better off just watching a playthrough on Youtube.  

News Comments > MotorGun Kickstarter
10. Re: MotorGun Kickstarter Jul 17, 2013, 04:37 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 23:40:
@ Jerykk. $20 is fine for a normal game, but not for this one. No SP campaign and not even any bots? Sorry, no sale.

$20 is fine for a game you are genuinely interested in. But that's not an impulse buy. An impulse buy is something you are only slightly interested in. In those cases, most people will only bother if it's $10 or less. If your Kickstarter involves a popular genre and/or high-profile developers, you can get away with higher prices because there are a lot of people that are genuinely interested in your product. But when you're pitching a niche project like this (car combat is very niche), you have to rely on impulse buys.

That Precinct kickstarter is even worse than this one. $30 minimum just to get the game? I'm mildly interested in the concept and would contribute if the minimum was $10 but asking for $30 for a game with extremely niche appeal means the kickstarter is basically guaranteed to fail.

News Comments > Dishonored DLC Info Tomorrow?
12. Re: Dishonored DLC Info Tomorrow? Jul 16, 2013, 23:01 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 01:00:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:39:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late for my tastes, and I played this like a month and a half ago.

DLC really needs to come out within 3 months tops, unless you've lucked into one of those titles that people just keep playing and playing and playing. Dishonored, as good as it was (and it really IS good, if you ignore the first few levels), just isn't that kind of title.

Creston

My thoughts exactly.. DLC for a 10 month old linear game with a surprisingly weak story.... why not do proper expansions, maybe even one that surpasses the main game... but no.. it's Bethesda.. gotta milk this dry to the last drop. Not to make a good game better, but to make money with content that is inferior to the main game. That last assassins story also just fizzled out into nothingness. But that's because the main game story was so weak.

Sigh. But that's Bethesda for ya. Skyrim's DLC wasn't particularly awesome either. It's just that thanks to mods you could accept it's failings and still have fun. Since you never were left with nothing to do.. but in Dishonored? heh

Well anyway...

Dishonored's strength wasn't its story but its backstory. I find the lore really interesting and am happy to play anything that reveals more of it. The Knife of Dunwall was pretty substantial for DLC too and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The levels in it were just as good as the levels in the core game. I'm looking forward to this new DLC.

News Comments > MotorGun Kickstarter
5. Re: MotorGun Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 22:54 Jerykk

Bah, too bad it's MP-centric. I'd love to see an SP, open-world car combat game.

On a side note, these guys really need to realize that $20 is not an impulse buy. If you're going to give a lower price to early birds, it needs to be within impulse range. $15 max, $10 preferable. If this was $10, I'd pitch in just for the hell of it. $20? Not so much.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2013, 23:07.

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
32. Re: Mad Max Trailer Jul 16, 2013, 01:33 Jerykk

If you're driving cars in JC2, you're doing it wrong. Grappling hook + paraglider = doing it right.  

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 16, 2013, 01:31 Jerykk

You can get Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3 for $16 at Gamefly if you use this code: GFDJUL20  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Resuming This Month
12. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Resuming This Month Jul 15, 2013, 02:23 Jerykk

I don't think this one will be any more successful than the last. Dyack carries a stigma that won't magically disappear.  

News Comments > Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2
48. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 13, 2013, 04:51 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 05:23:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 23:59:
As has been mentioned many times already, distributors do not fund development.

Sure, I agree with this.

Who cares if Deep Silver gets a cut from physical sales?

I do. When the KS pitch involves bashing the traditional companies who don't want to support this kind of game, it implied they weren't going to be involved. I viewed that as a positive reason to back this game. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that others don't care.

There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible.

Really? I can't think of anywhere that you'd make many sales that doesn't have functioning internet.

Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution. You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties.

They're making profits from Wasteland 2, which is what I don't like. I don't think those profits should come to me, it's clear what funding a KS gets a backer. But as per the points above, I despise Deep Silver so I don't want them making money off of this. If they wanted to, they could have funded development and taken more of a risk. I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but I would prefer to leave out the vultures of the industry (traditional publishers/distributors) and have inXile make slightly less money. To me it would be similar to inXile adding in-game ads for non-backers to make more money. Both I find distasteful.

InXile can do what they want, but their behavior will impact how well they can fund future games.

There's a difference between "functioning internet" and "internet with sufficient speed and bandwidth allowances to make digital distribution viable." In countries like Russia, India, Thailand, Mexico, etc, the latter isn't as common as you think. That's why publishers often choose to release physical copies outside of the U.S.A. In the U.S., physical distribution of PC games is all but dead. That's not the case outside the U.S.

So, here are inXile's options if they want to make the game widely available internationally:

1) Try to handle distribution themselves, which means less money for development and less regions where the game is physically available (developers don't have the same distribution resources as a publisher).
2) Not bother with physical distribution at all, greatly reducing the game's overall availability and thus reducing potential revenue.
3) Cut a deal with a publisher to distribute the game in return for a small cut of each physical sale, allowing for maximum availability, maximum potential revenue and no impact on development.

Your argument basically boils down to "I don't like Deep Silver so I'd rather have inXile make less money and prevent more people from playing the game." Needless to say, that's not a good argument. DS is providing a service to inXile (distribution and localization). This service requires resources, which is why DS would get a cut of physical revenue. You call them "vultures" but that suggests that they are only taking and offering nothing in return. That's obviously not the case, otherwise inXile would have no reason to work with them.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 12, 2013, 23:05 Jerykk

That Fallout fan film was surprisingly good. Looking forward to what they do next.  

News Comments > Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch
6. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

A sequel? To a F2P game? Seems stupid. Better to continue supporting T:A while it still has a community.  

44. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 23:59 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 21:44:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:34:
At this point you and everyone else who refuses to read should be banned and removed from the internet.

Too bad for you that everyone's allowed to have an opinion. Even a person who is as unable to read as you.

Unlike you, I am not a fan of middlemen like Deep Silver and EA taking a piece of the pie. I much prefer them on the outside looking in, since they haven't been interested in the types of games I like to play. That was one of the great things about funding games by Kickstarter. There is going to be at least some cannibalization of digital sales by having physical copies of the game, which means Deep Silver gets paid off our KS backing.

If inXile would like to cut in the traditional distributor/publisher types, I would prefer to know up front. Might as well just fund KS at the minimum level then.

Your logic is flawed. As has been mentioned many times already, distributors do not fund development. If you only back Kickstarters at the minimum level, then that's less money for development, which generally results in a smaller and/or inferior game. Who cares if Deep Silver gets a cut from physical sales? There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible. Thanks to physical distribution, people in these regions can now buy Wasteland 2 and give most of that money to inXile. How is this a bad thing? These are extra sales that wouldn't have happened without physical distribution. Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution.

You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties. You're not an investor. You are a customer. You paid money for a game. When you agreed to back Wasteland 2, at no point were you ever promised a return on that investment other than the game and whatever perks were offered at your tier. Letting Deep Silver handle distribution and QA means inXile gets to make a better game AND make more money from that game.

23. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:42 Jerykk

There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 11, 2013, 04:06 Jerykk

Not really sure what they were thinking with this. Deus Ex fans never asked for a mobile spin-off. If Square wanted to make a spinoff, they should have made it for the platforms that fans actually want it on. And if Square was trying to introduce the series to casual mobile gamers, they obviously didn't understand what casual mobile gamers look for in games.

I'll be shocked if the game does well. An eventual PC port is almost inevitable.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light DLC Next Week
6. Re: Metro: Last Light DLC Next Week Jul 11, 2013, 04:03 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:38:
This game and 2033 are two games on a long list of "to be played" for me. Curiously, I just noticed that there are a lot of shooters in my backlog. (FPS or TPS) I seem to be putting the entire genre off to the side...without really consciously thinking about it. I haven't played Dishonored or Bioshock Infinite for example. I know I will like them, just haven't prioritized them.

Dishonored isn't really a shooter. Yes, you have guns (two, to be exact) but those are the least interesting tools in your arsenal. The game is really all about your powers and how you combine them in crazy ways. Also, I think the game is much more interesting if you play stealthy but that's just me.

News Comments > SEGA Seeks THQ's COH2 Preorder Cash
11. Re: SEGA Seeks THQ's COH2 Preorder Cash Jul 11, 2013, 03:59 Jerykk

Not really sure what the point of this is. THQ has no money to give. Even if Sega does manage to squeeze some cash from them, it likely won't even be enough to cover the legal expenses.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
5. Re: Evening Patches Jul 11, 2013, 03:55 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 03:21:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 02:04:
Full Blood Dragon game? When was that announced?

Whilst I don't think it's confirmed, it's been implied, and Ubisoft has said they're quite happy with the response critically and saleswise. Still, I'll bet dollars to donuts it's a given at this point.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Blood Dragon was basically just a reskin of FC3, so I'm pretty sure it had a relatively small budget. Given the smaller budget, it was much easier to make a profit (which is why Ubisoft is happy). However, turn it into a full AAA game and you're dealing with significantly larger budget, making it much harder to become profitable. I don't think Ubisoft is willing to take that risk.

No, I think the relative success of Gunslinger and Blood Dragon means that Ubisoft will just continue investing in smaller, lower-budget games, which is fine by me. The big publishers have largely abandoned that segment of the market up until now and variety is always a good thing.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jul 11, 2013, 02:04 Jerykk

Full Blood Dragon game? When was that announced?  

14013 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo