Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14087 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Next Week
10. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Next Week Oct 3, 2013, 12:25 Jerykk

This DLC is Xbox-exclusive. Not coming out for PC.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Trailer
5. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Trailer Oct 2, 2013, 01:50 Jerykk

They really need to slow down on these games. The last three games have basically been the same thing. They need to go back to having different takes on the series, whether it be the the ricer stylings on Underground, the sim-lite approach of Shift or the exotic approach of the original games.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
35. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Sep 30, 2013, 22:09 Jerykk

avianflu wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 10:34:
Stop right there about criticizing the first NOLF!

Other than too much level padding at the end (the ski slopes) it is a great game with perfect visual design. And it was funny to boot.

All the subsequent NOLFs were total dreck with mindless respawning enemies, sadly.

Stop right there about criticizing the second NOLF! NOLF2 was awesome. The combat and stealth mechanics were greatly improved over the first game and there was a lot more variety in the gameplay and level design. Most of the levels didn't have respawning enemies either. In fact, the only one I can think of is that Russian base level.

Now, if you want to criticize Contract JACK, go ahead.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 04:19 Jerykk

Modern shooters are generally linear, scripted and formulaic. No exploration, no player agency, etc. Lots of slightly interactive cutscenes (i.e. set-pieces). Old-school shooters put a much greater emphasis on exploration, with big levels and lots of secrets to find. Enemies were placed in the level and remained where they were regardless of your position, as opposed to modern shooters where they pop out of closets when you step on the right trigger.

Basically, modern shooters feel like you're going on a ride whereas old shooters felt like you were being dropped into a new world.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:51 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:05:
Admittedly this does lead to a dilemma however. Historically once a game has been made available for purchase it becomes fair game for reviewers. Which seems fair I guess. But virtually any game that isn't finished yet isn't going to score very high (not as high as it would if it were complete anyway), so that may mean reviews hurt sales of games that haven't reached their full potential. Hopefully review sites will use discretion before they slag games that are still in development.

I don't think that's really an issue. Reviewers are smart enough to not review games that are explicitly labeled as unfinished. They might give impressions but that's no different from any other preview.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:48 Jerykk

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:01:
Slashman wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:58:
No Shadow Warrior? Annoyed

I've been having a blast with it. The powers and sword fighting are pretty awesome. The new Lo Wang isn't half bad either.

Oh wow, you're right. That IS disappointing, as people seem generally positive about it.

For some reason, there's a distinct lack of coverage for the game. IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destructoid, Eurogamer, GiantBomb and most of the major sites have yet to even review the game, which is extremely odd given that the game was released almost a week ago. I can only assume that Digital Devolver didn't send out any review copies.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 16:27 Jerykk

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 13:47:
I'm really starting to get tired of people trying to sell un-finished games. When the concept was new, and not many people did it, it didn't bug me, but now it seems like every other game that comes out isn't finished.

I was about to buy State of Decay until I noticed that it is not only a "work in progress" but that it only supports wired xbox 360 controllers. At least get keyboard and mouse working before you ask me for money on a PC platform...

I don't see the issue here. They clearly state that the game is unfinished and they use your money to help finish it. Letting customers try the game that early also helps make the finished product more polished, as the devs are basically getting free testing.

It's not like non-early release games are guaranteed to be finished either. Many games are released in an alpha-like state without any warning from the developer. Remember Sword of the Stars 2?

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
17. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 29, 2013, 07:07 Jerykk

If they allow you to jump whenever you need to jump, then why remove it all? Will I be constantly walking up to places, testing whether I can jump or not? "Can I jump here? Nope. Can I jump here? Nope. How about on top of this crate thats under a window of the building I'm trying to sneak into? Nope. Hmmm... I wonder WTF the developers intended for me to do here". Limiting where you can jump effectively makes this a corridor/rail shooter. We're only allowed to go where the designers want us to go. Exploration and finding multiple paths to exploit was part of the fun of the first two games (and an essential component of the gameplay) . This hand-holding and funneling the player through the map by limiting one of the most basic PC FPS and TPS game tenets is either console shit or shit map design (or both).

Designers will always control where you can go. They create the levels and place the collision volumes. Being able to jump won't let you get places the designers really don't want to let you go to. This was true of the previous Thief games. Having contextual actions doesn't mean your game has to be a corridor shooter. You can still create big, open, non-linear levels.

As for the clarity of contextual actions, that's up to the artists and designers. If there's a clear visual language and consistent rules associated with each action, you should never need to question whether or not you can do something.

While I agree that not being able to manually jump sucks, I don't think it's enough to ruin the game, provided that the implementation of contextual actions is done well enough. For example, in the first three Splinter Cell games, you could jump whenever you wanted. In the newest one (Blacklist), jumping/climbing/etc is contextual. However, thanks to good level design, I never missed manual jumping. Every action I could want to perform was accounted for in the contextual triggers.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 29, 2013, 03:34 Jerykk

Wonder if DR3 will be a permanent exclusive (ala the first game) or timed (ala Halo, GoW, Alan Wake, Fable, etc). Hopefully the latter. Given the rising costs of AAA game development, it wouldn't make any sense for Capcom to make it a permanent exclusive.  

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
73. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2013, 22:00 Jerykk

As Prez said, I think SteamOS has the most potential. Not only will it (supposedly) provide better performance than Windows but if it succeeds and gains widespread support by publishers and developers, we could see Microsoft's stranglehold on the PC gaming market finally come to an end.  

14. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 28, 2013, 19:31 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 10:04:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 07:40:
Quinn wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 02:59:
I think I'm just gonna pirate this game and give away free copies just to fuck with Square Enix.

Isn't that a bit redundant? The pirated copy you'll obtain will already be available on the internet.

Anyway, while I agree that the lack of manual jumping is certainly lame, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker. If the designers put jump triggers in all the spots where jumping is useful, that might be tolerable. Definitely limits player agency and the potential for emergent gameplay but other stealth games have done this and still been good (like Splinter Cell and Hitman).

Of course it's redundant, and I won't be doing it. It's just my way to express myself during a tantrum

But for a FIRST PERSON game to remove the jump option is something else. I wanna jump on a bunch of boxes from up high to get a better advantage, for example.

Removing the free jumping option makes lvl design easier with the loss of gameplay.

The lack of manual jumping doesn't mean you won't be able to climb/mantle/vault onto things. There was plenty of that in the E3 demo. As long as the designers make sure that you can always get where you want to go via contextual actions, the lack of jumping won't be a gamebreaker.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Sep 28, 2013, 07:47 Jerykk

Would like to see more reviews of Shadow Warrior. Did Digital Devolver not send out review copies or something? There are usually tons of reviews at launch but not this time. It would make sense if the game was crap but the impressions I've read thus far have been mostly positive.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $20M
40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 28, 2013, 07:42 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 02:32:
I have a bad feeling with chris at the helm unfortunately, Scope control is paramount on a project like this. Especially when you haven't made any games in years. They should just focus on high quality content light space combat game and worry about the MMO aspect after they perfect the basic elements of the game.

Freelancer wasted a tonne of resources and it's combat was just awful because Chris tried to do too many things, so freelancer ended up being one of the most shallow games he's ever made.

If they don't pefect the basic elements, the rest of the game is going to fall apart.

I liked Freelancer. Sure, the combat was pretty shallow but exploring the universe was a ton of fun and they did a great job of making each sector and planet feel unique. I thought the story was pretty interesting too.

11. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 28, 2013, 07:40 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 02:59:
I think I'm just gonna pirate this game and give away free copies just to fuck with Square Enix.

Isn't that a bit redundant? The pirated copy you'll obtain will already be available on the internet.

Anyway, while I agree that the lack of manual jumping is certainly lame, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker. If the designers put jump triggers in all the spots where jumping is useful, that might be tolerable. Definitely limits player agency and the potential for emergent gameplay but other stealth games have done this and still been good (like Splinter Cell and Hitman).

5. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 27, 2013, 23:54 Jerykk

I'm fine with this pre-order nonsense as long as they lift the review embargo before launch.  

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
14. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 03:06 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 23:59:
no they didn't

Yes they did. BAM, half-assed rebuttals ftw.

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
11. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 25, 2013, 23:10 Jerykk

Too early to judge. I had doubts about DX:HR and Blacklist too but those turned out very nicely.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Splinter Cell Blacklist Homeland DLC
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Splinter Cell Blacklist Homeland DLC Sep 25, 2013, 23:08 Jerykk

The two missions are worth about $5. The rest is pretty useless.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior to Get More Wang
6. Re: Shadow Warrior to Get More Wang Sep 24, 2013, 23:21 Jerykk

Hopefully they'll lift the review embargo tomorrow. If I preorder the game, I can get it for $20. If I have to wait for reviews post-launch, I won't.  

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
26. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 23, 2013, 01:34 Jerykk

$1500 every three years? What? Why would you do that? If you want to stay high end, that means a new videocard every 3-4 years and a new CPU ever 4-5 years. No need to buy anything else (except a new mobo and memory if the CPU requires it). In no way does that add up to $1500 every 3 years.  

14087 Comments. 705 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo