Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13947 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
21. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Aug 1, 2013, 05:23 Jerykk

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 17:08:
Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:31:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:28:
Yet another example of adding MP when nobody asked for it.

Agreed. People say it doesn't detract from the singleplayer campaigns at all but I've found that not to be the case in several games, there's often design concessions made for MP you can see in ability or level design.

Like all the DLC for Tomb Raider being MULTI only... /bonk

Yeah, Square has really dropped the ball on DLC as of late. The biggest criticisms of both Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider pertained to level design, something that can easily be remedied through DLC. But instead of doing that, Square just released costumes and weapons and multiplayer maps for a multiplayer mode that nobody plays. Not sure what they're thinking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
4. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Jul 31, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

The game uses Steamworks and therefore must be activated online to tie it to your account, hence the internet connection requirement. It's also only going to be sold on Steam and downloading games is much less painful with a fast connection, hence the broadband requirement.

Anyway, the port seems pretty basic. You can't even rebind your keys and video options are pretty sparse. You're also stuck with crappy FMVs that look and run worse than the actual game. Other than that, the game seems well-optimized. Constant 100+ FPS at max settings.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

Yet another example of adding MP when nobody asked for it.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
8. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 12:35 Jerykk

Seems like they took the same route as Dishonored. One challenge-based DLC that nobody cares about and two episodic, story-based DLC that people do care about. Luckily, I only paid for $10 for the season pass so I'm okay with that.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2013, 03:58 Jerykk

Played through SR as a shaman and had fun, though summoning is too risky to be useful in most cases. I dumped almost all of my points into Charisma/summoning strength/summon control and there were still cases where a summoned creature would go berserk on my first AP dump. A berserk summon can easily screw you over and with the game's crappy save system, that's a huge risk. I feel like they need a better way of balancing the power of summoned creatures. They're already one-time use and you can only have one summon active at a time. That alone seems like it would be balanced enough.

Also, putting some points into Body is basically mandatory. I played through most of the game with no points in Body and I would routinely get killed in one hit.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 30, 2013, 03:03 Jerykk

$10 is a great deal for Expeditions. Good, open-ended RPG with fun turn-based combat and lots of meaningful skill checks and ambiguous moral choices. I actually enjoyed it more than Shadowrun Returns, which felt like more of an adventure game with combat.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 06:57 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 04:59:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 04:27:
Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 02:12:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 13:33:
I loved Shadowrun for the SNES, I've read a few Shadowrun novels and rulebooks, I've watched people play the tabletop game, X-Com UFO Defense is one of my favorite games of all time, I could go for a single player RPG right now, seems like a must buy! Wait...checkpoint saves?!?!? HELL NO!!!!!! You can keep it, idiot devs.

So, in the tabletop games you watched, did players say "I'm quicksaving before I roll these dice!" then say "ok, I'm quickloading and rolling again!" when the outcome wasn't what they wanted?

Save scumming isn't the problem here. The problem is that the game only saves when you load new areas and there's often a lot of conversation and/or exploration before combat. If you die during combat, you have to redo said conversation and/or exploration. Thankfully, the levels are pretty small so it doesn't take that long to redo those things but it's still an annoying waste of time nonetheless. It's entirely acceptable to disable saving during combat, which would prevent save scumming in the cases where it actually matters. There's no point in save scumming outside of combat, as there's no chance involved in anything else.

No, I get while it's a problem. But a lot of people are very quick to throw this out as lazy development. It could very well be a design choice, as it makes you stick with your decisions.

Personally, I'm against it unless the game is truly rogue-like. But I get why some developers don't want you always going for the best outcomes.

Except it doesn't make you stick with your decisions. Not in SR, at least. There is no reason to save scum outside of combat. There's no chance involved in any of the skill checks and no dialogue choices that have meaningful, long-term repercussions. Most of the dialogue options are just flavor and inevitably lead to the same results.

The only reason to save scum would be combat, where chance plays a large role in your success. However, as mentioned before, it's a simple thing to disable saving during combat and allow it everywhere else. Plenty of games already do that. There's no design-oriented reason for the devs to remove quicksave entirely. It's much more likely to be a technical limitation, though considering that RPGs have had quicksave for over ten years, I find it difficult to fathom what those limitations could be.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 04:27 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 02:12:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 13:33:
I loved Shadowrun for the SNES, I've read a few Shadowrun novels and rulebooks, I've watched people play the tabletop game, X-Com UFO Defense is one of my favorite games of all time, I could go for a single player RPG right now, seems like a must buy! Wait...checkpoint saves?!?!? HELL NO!!!!!! You can keep it, idiot devs.

So, in the tabletop games you watched, did players say "I'm quicksaving before I roll these dice!" then say "ok, I'm quickloading and rolling again!" when the outcome wasn't what they wanted?

Save scumming isn't the problem here. The problem is that the game only saves when you load new areas and there's often a lot of conversation and/or exploration before combat. If you die during combat, you have to redo said conversation and/or exploration. Thankfully, the levels are pretty small so it doesn't take that long to redo those things but it's still an annoying waste of time nonetheless. It's entirely acceptable to disable saving during combat, which would prevent save scumming in the cases where it actually matters. There's no point in save scumming outside of combat, as there's no chance involved in anything else.

News Comments > Lost Planet 3 Preorder Bonuses
2. Re: Lost Planet 3 Preorder Bonuses Jul 27, 2013, 21:59 Jerykk

Can't complain about free games, though I generally prefer getting a discount since I already have said games.  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist Steam Preorders
4. Re: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist Steam Preorders Jul 26, 2013, 01:15 Jerykk

From what I played at E3, Blacklist is much stealth-oriented than Conviction. I was able to play through the demo level without neutralizing anyone. If anything, it was too easy to ghost through, as I never had to distract anyone. There were always obvious paths around enemies. I'm hoping the full game presents more challenging level designs for ghost players.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 04:34 Jerykk

Sho wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:41:
I'll probably wait for the native Linux release, with all the gaming goodness coming towards Linux of late I just can't be arsed to boot Windows anymore. Well, the Windows version would presumably run via Wine too, so maybe I'll crack depending on how the echo develops, but native is a bit nicer.

Gaming goodness? On Linux? Say what? About 99% of PC games still don't have Linux support.

On a side note, I hope that Shadowrun gets quicksave patched in. Checkpoint saving in an RPG is retarded.

News Comments > Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October
7. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October Jul 23, 2013, 03:09 Jerykk

Fantaz wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 20:05:
hopefully will be nothing like that horrible Enter the Matrix game from way back.

This has nothing at all to do with that game, the developer of that game or even the Matrix franchise so I'm not sure why you even bring it up.

News Comments > Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited
11. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

So... who owns Blood now?  

News Comments > New Strider Game Announced
8. Re: New Strider Game Announced Jul 20, 2013, 07:04 Jerykk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 23:35:
KTR wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 23:21:
Strider is being developed by Double Helix Games

Crap. First Killer Instinct, now this.

Yeah, I was all excited about a new Strider game until I saw the developer's most recent work was Battleship. Seriously Capcom, you're trying to sell this to people with fond memories of Strider. Those people are going to be hardcore gamers that expect and demand quality. If you're going to just hand it to a shovelware team, you might as well not bother. Hell, WayForward's a multi-team studio, give it to them!

You can't always judge a studio by their previous games. Movie tie-ins, for example, have tiny budgets and ridiculously short dev cycles, in addition to creative limitations imposed by both the publisher and license owner(s). Even the best developers would struggle to make a good game under those conditions. There's a reason why every movie tie-in has sucked and why the more reputable studios have stayed away from them.

Now, I'm not saying that Strider will be any good but you shouldn't automatically assume that it's shovelware until you play it.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 00:36 Jerykk

edit: Hmm, I see Hitman: Absolution is 75% off again, but apparently it was a bit of a disappointment compared to Blood Money. Maybe I should keep on ignoring it? Guess my main problem is when I hear "hitman" what comes to mind isn't Agent 47, but either Queen or Golgo 13...

Absolution isn't a bad stealth game. It's just a bad Hitman game. It plays more like Splinter Cell than Hitman.

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 00:32 Jerykk

Between the daily deals, the flash sales and the community choices, there have been a ridiculous amount of repeats. I really wish they wouldn't repeat anything until the final day.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Jamie Foxx as Electro..? That was unexpected. Should be interesting to see how they handle the character.  

News Comments > Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut for Windows
5. Re: Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut for Windows Jul 18, 2013, 12:25 Jerykk

This was unexpected. The game is mechanically terrible but it does have a quirkiness that is pretty memorable. That said, you're probably better off just watching a playthrough on Youtube.  

News Comments > MotorGun Kickstarter
10. Re: MotorGun Kickstarter Jul 17, 2013, 04:37 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 23:40:
@ Jerykk. $20 is fine for a normal game, but not for this one. No SP campaign and not even any bots? Sorry, no sale.

$20 is fine for a game you are genuinely interested in. But that's not an impulse buy. An impulse buy is something you are only slightly interested in. In those cases, most people will only bother if it's $10 or less. If your Kickstarter involves a popular genre and/or high-profile developers, you can get away with higher prices because there are a lot of people that are genuinely interested in your product. But when you're pitching a niche project like this (car combat is very niche), you have to rely on impulse buys.

That Precinct kickstarter is even worse than this one. $30 minimum just to get the game? I'm mildly interested in the concept and would contribute if the minimum was $10 but asking for $30 for a game with extremely niche appeal means the kickstarter is basically guaranteed to fail.

News Comments > Dishonored DLC Info Tomorrow?
12. Re: Dishonored DLC Info Tomorrow? Jul 16, 2013, 23:01 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 01:00:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:39:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late for my tastes, and I played this like a month and a half ago.

DLC really needs to come out within 3 months tops, unless you've lucked into one of those titles that people just keep playing and playing and playing. Dishonored, as good as it was (and it really IS good, if you ignore the first few levels), just isn't that kind of title.

Creston

My thoughts exactly.. DLC for a 10 month old linear game with a surprisingly weak story.... why not do proper expansions, maybe even one that surpasses the main game... but no.. it's Bethesda.. gotta milk this dry to the last drop. Not to make a good game better, but to make money with content that is inferior to the main game. That last assassins story also just fizzled out into nothingness. But that's because the main game story was so weak.

Sigh. But that's Bethesda for ya. Skyrim's DLC wasn't particularly awesome either. It's just that thanks to mods you could accept it's failings and still have fun. Since you never were left with nothing to do.. but in Dishonored? heh

Well anyway...

Dishonored's strength wasn't its story but its backstory. I find the lore really interesting and am happy to play anything that reveals more of it. The Knife of Dunwall was pretty substantial for DLC too and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The levels in it were just as good as the levels in the core game. I'm looking forward to this new DLC.

13947 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo