Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage
14. Re: Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage Aug 6, 2013, 02:52 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 23:33:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 21:12:
story/realism, SR2 is slightly better but it feels pretty janky after SR3, which looked and played better.

I said rooted, not necessarily realistic. The third game has improvements but it also has a lot less content than the second game and I'm not convinced the gameplay is really any better for all of its absurdity. The mission design and story setups were better in 2 and the game also gave you a lot more to do outside of them.

It also begs the question where they take it after having your character become the president of america and what more they can do after giving you godlike superpowers. How do you create challenge within that environment? Smashing stuff puts a smile on my face for a few minutes then I need something else to do.

If you want to challenge super-powered players, just have them face super-powered enemies (which they're doing in SR4). It's also important to keep in mind that you don't get all the powers right off the bat. You earn them and upgrade them over the course the game. By the end of the game, I'm pretty sure you'll be ridiculously overpowered but that's true of most open-world action games with upgrade systems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Trailer
3. Re: Infinite Crisis Trailer Aug 6, 2013, 02:44 Jerykk

There are tons of MOBA players out there. LoL has the largest player base of any game out there. DotA2's is pretty large as well and is only growing.

Anyway, the appeal of MOBAs is that they play like team-based, PvP action RPGs. Learning each character, trying out different builds and devising new strategies and tactics is fun. If you aren't competitive, there obviously won't be any appeal since it's multiplayer-only. Also, MOBAs have steep learning curves due to the aforementioned qualities. You'll probably have to play for at least a month before you can become decent.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer
7. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer Aug 6, 2013, 02:39 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure this is going to have better post-release support than any of the previous C&C games. It's F2P, which is basically a service and I think EA has enough sense to realize that they'll have to support the game if they want it to succeed. Unlike the previous games, they won't get your $50 up front. They'll have to work for it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 4, 2013, 22:15 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 22:11:
Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 18:46:
I can assure you the 360 version of Skyrim outsold the PC/digital versions by a HUGE margin and will remain that way forever. Combine it with the PS3 numbers and it's laughable to assume the PC will catch up.

So you think the 360 sold so many copies in the ~2 months that people were buying it that it outsold the PC version being in the Steam top 10 basically almost non-stop for twenty months?

There's no way to tell. The Steam charts don't give actual numbers and Bethesda hasn't released any numbers for the game on any platform. We tend to underestimate how well console games sell. When publishers release their yearly reports, PC tends be anywhere from 5-20% of overall revenue while consoles are around 70%.

10. Re: Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage Aug 4, 2013, 21:12 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 18:20:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 16:43:
What? Superpowers in open-world games are awesome. They're what made Prototype and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction so fun. Traversal and combat are huge parts of open-world action games and super-powers make both of those far more entertaining.

To me both of those games were shallow affairs that became boring quickly. I would much rather have a rooted open world game that balances humor and has some genre self-awareness like Saints Row 2 than I would Saints Row 3 or 4.

I guess I don't really care about the story and/or realism. I'm all about gameplay. GTA's gameplay is pretty stale. SR2 is slightly better but it feels pretty janky after SR3, which looked and played better.

7. Re: Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage Aug 4, 2013, 16:43 Jerykk

What? Superpowers in open-world games are awesome. They're what made Prototype and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction so fun. Traversal and combat are huge parts of open-world action games and super-powers make both of those far more entertaining.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Support Plans
5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Support Plans Aug 4, 2013, 16:24 Jerykk

If you die in the Matrix, that only hurts your decker. You can just heal up and dive back in. Once you dispose of the black ICE and two deckers, they won't respawn. In fact, none of the enemies will respawn so you don't lose any progress.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Aug 3, 2013, 04:22 Jerykk

Gamefly will have Dishonored for $8 (with this code: GFDAUG20) on Sunday. Best deal yet and an absolute no-brainer if you don't yet have the game for whatever reason.  

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Founder's Program
3. Re: Infinite Crisis Founder's Program Aug 2, 2013, 00:51 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 15:44
uit wasting time and money on this shit Turbine. New Asheron's Call is all everyone wants. That is all.
[/quote:

Surely you realize that Turbine is getting paid to make this, right? Getting paid so you can keep your studio alive is hardly a waste of time or money.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
45. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Aug 1, 2013, 05:28 Jerykk

Actually if you understand Quantum Mechanics and parallel universes, the ending makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the ending of the first Bioshock, not Infinite.

News Comments > The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer
17. Re: The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer Aug 1, 2013, 05:25 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 21:28:
Hrm, YOLO reference, urge to boycott rising.

Joke trailer aside, yet another extremely small squad game, what a disappointment. Surely we can have a Western tactical RTS/pause/turn based game with, I don't know, 8, or even 10+ characters in the squad at one time?

Before anybody cries about the console port aspect, I remember plenty of Sega Genesis games (usually Japanese) with 10-40 characters on your team, still easily playable.

Men of War sounds right up your alley. Also, The Bureau isn't a strategy game. It's a cover shooter with strategic elements. It has more in common with Mass Effect than XCOM.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
21. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Aug 1, 2013, 05:23 Jerykk

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 17:08:
Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:31:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:28:
Yet another example of adding MP when nobody asked for it.

Agreed. People say it doesn't detract from the singleplayer campaigns at all but I've found that not to be the case in several games, there's often design concessions made for MP you can see in ability or level design.

Like all the DLC for Tomb Raider being MULTI only... /bonk

Yeah, Square has really dropped the ball on DLC as of late. The biggest criticisms of both Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider pertained to level design, something that can easily be remedied through DLC. But instead of doing that, Square just released costumes and weapons and multiplayer maps for a multiplayer mode that nobody plays. Not sure what they're thinking.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
4. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Jul 31, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

The game uses Steamworks and therefore must be activated online to tie it to your account, hence the internet connection requirement. It's also only going to be sold on Steam and downloading games is much less painful with a fast connection, hence the broadband requirement.

Anyway, the port seems pretty basic. You can't even rebind your keys and video options are pretty sparse. You're also stuck with crappy FMVs that look and run worse than the actual game. Other than that, the game seems well-optimized. Constant 100+ FPS at max settings.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

Yet another example of adding MP when nobody asked for it.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
8. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 12:35 Jerykk

Seems like they took the same route as Dishonored. One challenge-based DLC that nobody cares about and two episodic, story-based DLC that people do care about. Luckily, I only paid for $10 for the season pass so I'm okay with that.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2013, 03:58 Jerykk

Played through SR as a shaman and had fun, though summoning is too risky to be useful in most cases. I dumped almost all of my points into Charisma/summoning strength/summon control and there were still cases where a summoned creature would go berserk on my first AP dump. A berserk summon can easily screw you over and with the game's crappy save system, that's a huge risk. I feel like they need a better way of balancing the power of summoned creatures. They're already one-time use and you can only have one summon active at a time. That alone seems like it would be balanced enough.

Also, putting some points into Body is basically mandatory. I played through most of the game with no points in Body and I would routinely get killed in one hit.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 30, 2013, 03:03 Jerykk

$10 is a great deal for Expeditions. Good, open-ended RPG with fun turn-based combat and lots of meaningful skill checks and ambiguous moral choices. I actually enjoyed it more than Shadowrun Returns, which felt like more of an adventure game with combat.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 06:57 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 04:59:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 04:27:
Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 02:12:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 13:33:
I loved Shadowrun for the SNES, I've read a few Shadowrun novels and rulebooks, I've watched people play the tabletop game, X-Com UFO Defense is one of my favorite games of all time, I could go for a single player RPG right now, seems like a must buy! Wait...checkpoint saves?!?!? HELL NO!!!!!! You can keep it, idiot devs.

So, in the tabletop games you watched, did players say "I'm quicksaving before I roll these dice!" then say "ok, I'm quickloading and rolling again!" when the outcome wasn't what they wanted?

Save scumming isn't the problem here. The problem is that the game only saves when you load new areas and there's often a lot of conversation and/or exploration before combat. If you die during combat, you have to redo said conversation and/or exploration. Thankfully, the levels are pretty small so it doesn't take that long to redo those things but it's still an annoying waste of time nonetheless. It's entirely acceptable to disable saving during combat, which would prevent save scumming in the cases where it actually matters. There's no point in save scumming outside of combat, as there's no chance involved in anything else.

No, I get while it's a problem. But a lot of people are very quick to throw this out as lazy development. It could very well be a design choice, as it makes you stick with your decisions.

Personally, I'm against it unless the game is truly rogue-like. But I get why some developers don't want you always going for the best outcomes.

Except it doesn't make you stick with your decisions. Not in SR, at least. There is no reason to save scum outside of combat. There's no chance involved in any of the skill checks and no dialogue choices that have meaningful, long-term repercussions. Most of the dialogue options are just flavor and inevitably lead to the same results.

The only reason to save scum would be combat, where chance plays a large role in your success. However, as mentioned before, it's a simple thing to disable saving during combat and allow it everywhere else. Plenty of games already do that. There's no design-oriented reason for the devs to remove quicksave entirely. It's much more likely to be a technical limitation, though considering that RPGs have had quicksave for over ten years, I find it difficult to fathom what those limitations could be.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 04:27 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 02:12:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 13:33:
I loved Shadowrun for the SNES, I've read a few Shadowrun novels and rulebooks, I've watched people play the tabletop game, X-Com UFO Defense is one of my favorite games of all time, I could go for a single player RPG right now, seems like a must buy! Wait...checkpoint saves?!?!? HELL NO!!!!!! You can keep it, idiot devs.

So, in the tabletop games you watched, did players say "I'm quicksaving before I roll these dice!" then say "ok, I'm quickloading and rolling again!" when the outcome wasn't what they wanted?

Save scumming isn't the problem here. The problem is that the game only saves when you load new areas and there's often a lot of conversation and/or exploration before combat. If you die during combat, you have to redo said conversation and/or exploration. Thankfully, the levels are pretty small so it doesn't take that long to redo those things but it's still an annoying waste of time nonetheless. It's entirely acceptable to disable saving during combat, which would prevent save scumming in the cases where it actually matters. There's no point in save scumming outside of combat, as there's no chance involved in anything else.

News Comments > Lost Planet 3 Preorder Bonuses
2. Re: Lost Planet 3 Preorder Bonuses Jul 27, 2013, 21:59 Jerykk

Can't complain about free games, though I generally prefer getting a discount since I already have said games.  

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo